Default ADQ - How do I recover from incorrect order of tunnels?

Today I tried ADQ for the first time. Right off I deliberately went into wrong tunnel (Snake). Fell into pit of undead, got out, then went into Wolf tunnel -- the correct first tunnel, AFAIK. Pit again. Then Snake. Pit again. Then Bat. No pit. Then octopus. Pit. Then monkey and scorpion. No pit in either, but the gate to Demon Queen is still locked. Does it mean I need to do entire sequence in correct order? OK, start with Wolf again. Pit, and I died. End of story.

OK, next time I will start with what I know is correct first tunnel (Wolf), but if one of random tunnels sends me into pit, how do I fix the sequence? Or is it unfixable, and once you are in the pit you might as well recall?
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Community Member

When you get the first one incorrect, it changes the puzzle and thus the correct order. You need to go re-read the book at the start and get the correct order again.

Once you have correctly done the first glyph, it is done for good (you don't have to do it again if you get one wrong) and the puzzle won't change if you get one incorrect.

I tried again. This is what the book said:

Poisoner is first to draw blood
    Hungry and Devious never cross
    Mockery strikes close to Night
    Grasping deals the killing blow

Which I understood as:

Scorpion
    Wolf - Snake
    Monkey - Bat
    Octopus

I did Scorpion tunnel first. No pit. Great. Then Wolf tunnel. Again no pit -- even better! Now the next one HAS to be Snake, right? I do the Snake tunnel... and fall into pit of the undead. ***?

Next I do Monkey tunnel. Fall into pit. Then Bat -- no pit. Then Octopus -- pit. Give up in frustration.

I suppose I should have done Monkey again after Bat tunnel -- but how could Snake possibly be the wrong third choice?

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    I tried again. This is what the book said:

Poisoner is first to draw blood
    Hungry and Devious never cross
    Mockery strikes close to Night
    Grasping deals the killing blow

Which I understood as:

Scorpion
    Wolf - Snake
    Monkey - Bat
    Octopus

I did Scorpion tunnel first. No pit. Great. Then Wolf tunnel. Again no pit -- even better! Now the next one HAS to be Snake, right? I do the Snake tunnel... and fall into pit of the undead. ***?

Next I do Monkey tunnel. Fall into pit. Then Bat -- no pit. Then Octopus -- pit. Give up in frustration.

I suppose I should have done Monkey again after Bat tunnel -- but how could Snake possibly be the wrong third choice?
    From the wiki linked above that should have been:

Poisoner, Hungry/Devious, Mockery/Night, Grasping = Scorpion, Wolf, Bat, Monkey, Snake, Octopus

nvm. Figured it out.

Community Member

Yeah, it doesn't quite go in that order, but you've got it now. :P

A is first to draw blood
    B and C never cross
    D strikes close to E
    F deals the killing blow

Quote Originally Posted by DDOWiki
    To unlock the way forward, you must go down the hallways in a certain order. The first hallway is A. The second hallway is either B or C, and the third hallway is either D or E. The fourth hallway is whichever the third wasn't (E or D respectively), and the fifth hallway is whichever second wasn't (C or B respectively). The sixth hallway is always F.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Does it mean I need to do entire sequence in correct order?
    <snip>
    ...if one of random tunnels sends me into pit, how do I fix the sequence? Or is it unfixable, and once you are in the pit you might as well recall?
    No need to recall, or restart, or recover. You just need to, eventually, get all 6 in the correct order. You never have to repeat one that you got right, just eventually get the one after that. You can have as many pit side trips in-between as you want.

//

Note also, as others have pointed out, the riddle is not simply the exact order handed to you, it's:

1st, 2nd & 5th in some order, 3rd & 4th in some order, 6th.

But there is always just the same one actual correct order for any given riddle combination, even though in theory there'd be four possibilities.

Plus, some folks like to do it wrong on purpose for the XP. It is a decent chunk.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane