Community Member

Default RE: Epic Levels/Destinies

Is there a thread that clearly explains Epic levels/destinies?

DDO wiki didn't seem that clear.

Thanks for any info.

wiki gives all the info about it you could want.

What specifically are you confused about?

Epic levels are pretty much the same as Heroic (1-20) levels, except everyone has the same Epic class where you get +10hp per Epic level, etc.

Epic Destinies are toggle-able enhancement trees.

Community Member

Default choosing

So, you can only choose an Epic Destiny that's in your sphere to start with?

How can you choose from out of your sphere?

I thought I read how it's slower to increase one in your sphere vs. outside?

So, if Im currently a Fav Soul, I can choose FVS or Cleric.
    If I want to TR into a Wiz, can/should I try to switch to Magister (if that's my ultimate goal) and lvl up in that while still a FVS.

Quote Originally Posted by danbevj View Post
    So, you can only choose an Epic Destiny that's in your sphere to start with?

How can you choose from out of your sphere?

I thought I read how it's slower to increase one in your sphere vs. outside?

So, if Im currently a Fav Soul, I can choose FVS or Cleric.
    If I want to TR into a Wiz, can/should I try to switch to Magister (if that's my ultimate goal) and lvl up in that while still a FVS.
    You can unlock adjacent destinys by maxing out your starting destiny and so on till they are all unlocked. You can also use a key of destiny bought from the DDO store to unlock adjacent destinys, with the changes coming with Update 20 i think the key's will be a complete waste as you won't get them back after you TR.

All destinys increase at the same rate there is no penalty. The only thing is that those destiny's will be of limited use or useless to your character. Basically gimping it while those destiny's are active.

You can level any ED you wish with any class.
    If real life had a block function i would probably go out more.

Community Member

Default re: changes

1. What change w/ Keys of Destiny? If I use, and level up in an adjacent destiny, then when I TR it won't still be available? or all the level ups disappear?

2. If I level up as a FVS, can I then LR him to add 6 levels of Rogue (for example) and then level up some in shadow dancer? Then, when I TR into Wiz will the FVS and Rogue tiers be available for Twists of Fate?

3. Also, when you use Twist of Fate to access a Tier feat in another destiny, if you had raised it previously to 3 ranks will you get the benefit of all 3 ranks or only 1.

Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by danbevj; 09-23-2013 at 02:54 PM.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

1. What change w/ Keys of Destiny? If I use, and level up in an adjacent destiny, then when I TR it won't still be available? or all the level ups disappear?

2. If I level up as a FVS, can I then LR him to add 6 levels of Rogue (for example) and then level up some in shadow dancer? Then, when I TR into Wiz will the FVS and Rogue tiers be available for Twists of Fate?

3. Also, when you use Twist of Fate to access a Tier feat in another destiny, if you had raised it previously to 3 ranks will you get the benefit of all 3 ranks or only 1.

Thanks for all your help.
    1. I'm not sure about Keys of Destiny. But TRing (or Epic Reincarnating) will NOT remove any progress you've made in your EDs, so I would assume using a Key to unlock an adjacent ED and then reincarnating, it would remain unlocked. I personally think they're a waste of TP anyway, but I'm cheap and dislike buying something I can grind for 8-}

2. Not if you've already started an ED. To access other EDs, you need to level up your current one - three levels to get to one in your current sphere, four levels to get to an adjacent sphere. So if you started in Exalted Angel (which is sorta the cleric/FvS ED) you'd need to get to Level 3 to unlock Unyielding Sentinel. Then you'd need to get to level 4 in US to be able to jump to the Martial sphere with Grandmaster of Flowers. And then you'd need to get to L3 in GMoF to unlock Shadowdancer (and also Legendary Dreadnought). As a pure FvS, you could also start in Unyielding Sentinel to avoid some of the travel. If you haven't chosen an initial ED, though, then yes, you could do 6 levels of rogue, monk, or fighter to be able to start in the Martial sphere instead.

3. Yes, you'll get the full three ranks of a twisted ability, if you've purchased them. You can also twist something that has a pre-req without having to twist the pre-req (for example, you could twist Endless Faith from Exalted Angel for the extra SP, without Healing Power or Radiant Power).
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

When a character at lvl 20 or higher talks to the epic destiny trainer for the first time, they have the option to 'claim' any destiny that they have at least 6 heroic levels for.

For example, a barbarian7/cleric 7/rogue6 could claim any divine, martial, or primal destiny.

Note that you only get do to this once per character. After that, to get to another destiny, you have to unlock that destiny, either by leveling up destinies along the 'map' or by using whatever the thingies from the DDO store are (key of destiny?).

------------

So, for example, lets say you are FVS 20 and go talk to the epic trainer. Since you only have divine classes, you can only claim Unyielding Sentinel or Exalted Angel. Let's say you claim Exalted Angel.

If you TR'ed into some other class, like wizard, and got back to lvl 20, and talked to the epic destiny trainer again, you'd only have access to exalted angel. You wouldn't be able to 'claim' an arcane destiny. The first destiny you claimed, back when you were a FVS was it.

Now, how to unlock other destinies? You can unlock things in the same sphere with lvl 3 in a destiny in that sphere, and the adjacent destiny in another sphere with lvl 4.

So, for example, getting to exalted angel lvl 3 would unlock Unyielding Sentinel. Then, you could talk to the destiny trainer again and claim US. Getting US to level 4 would unlock grandmaster of flowers. Getting GMoF to level 3 would unlock legendary dreadnaught and shadowdancer. Getting shadowdancer to 4 would unlock fatesinger, and then getting fatesinger to lvl 3 would unlock magister.

As you can see, claiming the 'wrong' starting destiny can leave you in for quite a grind, to get to the 'right' one.

---------------

Twists of fate. You get one fate point for every 3 levels of destiny you have. So, for example, if you had:
    angel 3, US 4, GMoF 3, SD 4, fatesinger 3, magister 1

Thats 3 + 4 + 3 +4 +3 + 1 = 18 total destiny levels, which would give you 6 twist of fate points.

It's possible to twist any any ability that you already have in another destiny at the appropriate tier. You don't have to also twist the destiny pre-reqs. However, you do need to have to meet any feat requirements. For example, let's say you are in Shiradi Champion and want to twist in Piercing Spellcraft (T3) from Magister. Note that taking Piercing Spellcraft requires the spell penetration feat. So if you don't have spell penetration, you can't take Piercing Spellcraft, so you won't be able use the ability as a twist.

Also, there are abilities that are pretty crappy to twist in, because they don't do anything for your build. For example, A Dance of Flowers from GMoF increases your damage while centered. If you don't have a way to get centered, then this ability is useless to you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwei View Post
    When a character at lvl 20 or higher talks to the epic destiny trainer for the first time, they have the option to 'claim' any destiny that they have at least 6 heroic levels for.

------------

As you can see, claiming the 'wrong' starting destiny can leave you in for quite a grind, to get to the 'right' one.

---------------
    Great explanation, Jing.

So will this new EPIC TR allow for reclaiming new EDs?
    Level up to 28, EPIC TR back to 20, choose a new ED?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    This is the official forum. Wear a thick skin and abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

Community Member

""So, for example, lets say you are FVS 20 and go talk to the epic trainer. Since you only have divine classes, you can only claim Unyielding Sentinel or Exalted Angel. Let's say you claim Exalted Angel.

If you TR'ed into some other class, like wizard, and got back to lvl 20, and talked to the epic destiny trainer again, you'd only have access to exalted angel. You wouldn't be able to 'claim' an arcane destiny. The first destiny you claimed, back when you were a FVS was it.

As you can see, claiming the 'wrong' starting destiny can leave you in for quite a grind, to get to the 'right' one.""

----

Aww ****! It's a long way to get to Magister which is what I wanted planning to TR back into Wiz.
    I assume there's no way to undo completely the first destiny. That's a loooonng way from Exalted Angel to Magister.

Aww ****! It's a long way to get to Magister which is what I wanted planning to TR back into Wiz.
    I assume there's no way to undo completely the first destiny. That's a loooonng way from Exalted Angel to Magister.
    Look on the bright side: Your wizard life will probably want to twist in the +10% mana tier 1 ability from exalted, and you're already there. Spend the 9 AP on +10% mana before leaving Exalted for Unyielding.