Default Which pack to get

(Tried to get some answers here, but it isn't read much apparently, so I decided to open a new thread)

As a long-time semi-casual premium player sitting on a lot of unused TPs, I'm thinking about getting some of the adventure packs on sale (oh, how I miss the 35-50% discounts...), but I'm having an hard time choosing which packs to purchase

Right now, I have (pack(level range)):
    ---
    Catacombs (3-4)
    STK (3-5)
    Tangleroot (3-7)
    Carnival (5)
    Necro1 (5-6)
    Delera (5-11)
    Sorrowdusk (6-10)
    Sands (10-12)
    Atk on Stormreach (13)
    Vale (16-17)
    Reavers (17)
    Path of Inspiration (18)
    Dreaming Dark (19-20)
    MotU (19-25)
    ES Challenges (15-30)
    ---

Based on the EllisDee pack review thread, the best to purchase right now would be (ordered by level):
    --
    - Sentinels (7-8)
    - VoN (8-10)
    - Fens (9)
    - GH (13-14)
    - Necro4 (14-17)
    - Harbinger (15)
    --

While I have enough TP to buy most of them, I'm unfortunately forced to play on a really low budget for the time being due to RL issues, so it'd be important to know the packs I should prioritize and the ones I should skip or wait for a better sale.

A Little info about my mindset/play-style:
    --
    - I pug most of the time (hate soloing);
    - I prefer diversity in quest content (don't like running many hack&slash quests in a row);
    - I usually don't raid (not enough time to solo learn raids, and pug groups usually just zerg through them and expect me to know their details);
    - I never TR'ed until now (might do it on some of my toons when Epic TR arrives, but just 2nd-3rd life max.);
    - Although I like good XP/loot like everyone else, I usually choose quest quality over stats/numbers (I prefer running unique and fun dungeons with no notable loot or xp than going through boring/repetitive good-xp ones, as long as I can easily get a group for them);
    - I don't farm quests for XP or completion rewards, unless absolutely needed;
    - I tend to run caster/cc or caster-hybrids builds (wiz/bard/druid/divines, sometimes w/ rogue splashes);
    - I have toons scattered throughout all the level-ranges (from lv4 to lv22).
    --

Fens and VoN seem like the most fun, but I'd like to get some advice having my playstyle and budget constraints in mind (I'd hate to get too many of the packs without needing them, and lacking the TP's to get an important future pack or sale). I like Artificers a lot too, so Secrets could be a nice way of unlocking the class, but I have no idea how much effort is needed to unlock it, or how hard it is to get a group for Secrets quests and Eberron challenges (I've never seen any group running cannith challenges in LFM panel...).

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post).

Talking

RE: which pack to get from this list:

- all of those can be fun with pugs
    - there is some good diversity in VoN, GH, and Necro 4
    - Necro 4, GH, and VoN all have pretty good XP

In order of being fun to play, I rate them this way, from best to worst

- VoN (8-10)
    - GH (13-14)
    - Fens (9)
    - Sentinels (7-8)
    - Necro4 (14-17)
    - Harbinger (15)

Hope this helps.
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

There is a very precise formula used to determine what pack you should get. It goes like this

Do you own Gianthold?

If no, buy Gianthold.

If yes, buy whatever else might make your trip from 1 - 20 a bit easier depending on what you own already. Probably a pack that is level 8 or higher.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Default Ya know he's right...

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    There is a very precise formula used to determine what pack you should get. It goes like this

Do you own Gianthold?

If no, buy Gianthold.

If yes, buy whatever else might make your trip from 1 - 20 a bit easier depending on what you own already. Probably a pack that is level 8 or higher.
    If you don't own Gianthold, then that should be at the top of your list regardless of level. For example, I ran the heroic chain at L11 on elite puggin'. GH has Epic Destiny levels and 2 raids (heroic and epic and they are different). Allot of good items come from GH and lots of XP.

Here is my list. Sentinels and VoN are really tied for 2nd.

1. GH (13-14)
    2. Sentinels
    3. VoN
    4. Full Necro 1-4

Quote Originally Posted by TBot1234 View Post
    RE: which pack to get from this list:

- all of those can be fun with pugs
    - there is some good diversity in VoN, GH, and Necro 4
    - Necro 4, GH, and VoN all have pretty good XP

In order of being fun to play, I rate them this way, from best to worst

- VoN (8-10)
    - GH (13-14)
    - Fens (9)
    - Sentinels (7-8)
    - Necro4 (14-17)
    - Harbinger (15)

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, it does . I ruled out Sentinels (for having better quests for the low-mid-ish level range), Necro4 (really hated necro1 anyway) and harbinger (I think the others are more high priority, and it's boring apparently :P)

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post

Do you own Gianthold?

If no, buy Gianthold.

Ahah, fair enough! ;D Thanks. I think I'm settled for GH.

So, right now:
    - GH: seems an uglyish area, but I'm reading so many good things about it that I'll definitely buy it ;
    - VoN: fun and varied quests seem awesome, battling Velah too, house K favor even better. I'm just not sure if I should buy it or skip it due to the amount of raiding involved, and fear that I might end up having trouble getting groups for them;
    - Fens: House K favor too, the wilderness area seems to be really beautiful, quest quality is apparently very nice, I like the item sets and it seems easy to short-man, even on epic. I'm not sure about it either though, due to having weak favor for its cost, and not seeing it run very often (maybe because of short/lowish level range?)
    - Secrets of the Arties: if I wanted to unlock arti, I could try to get these quests done (they seem fun), and do the challenges with the free tokens (not so fun) to try to reach 150 house C favor. But I don't remember ever seeing it being pugged iirc, which makes me think if it wouldn't be better to simply unlock Arti when I catch a good sale on it.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    If you don't own Gianthold, then that should be at the top of your list regardless of level. For example, I ran the heroic chain at L11 on elite puggin'. GH has Epic Destiny levels and 2 raids (heroic and epic and they are different). Allot of good items come from GH and lots of XP.

Here is my list. Sentinels and VoN are really tied for 2nd.

1. GH (13-14)
    2. Sentinels
    3. VoN
    4. Full Necro 1-4
    Thanks for the input, it makes me even more decided on getting GH .

Now I just need to know if I should get VoN and/or Fens (don't they overlap each other...? From all your answers, VoN seems to be more popular than Fens) and if Secrets is worth it just for the Arti unlock possibility (all this with pugging in mind)
    Last edited by A3oN95; 09-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Gh, von and then necro.

Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar

Gianthold has priority. It has lots of content (and raiding is a small part of it, with one of the two raids easily shortmannable in a pug), it has lots of loot, epic potential, a couple interesting quests (Tor with the dragon fights and Crucible come to mind). It's the best value for money.

I would add Red Fens to that: it's cheap, quests are fine, epic quests are easy to solo or shortman.

I dislike VoN: in my opinion it's not worth the TP cost. The "pre-raid" (VoN5) is fun, but Velah's fight is underwhelming. The quests are ok and it's a good source of XP, but if you are not planning on TRing a lot, XP in the lv10 area is not that useful.

Cannith packs are dead and unpuggable. Unfortunately, because they have some good content in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    No matter what you post, there is always someone who responds with something like "Unless you are gimped, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back." It gets a little tiresome.