Default Casuals vs. Vets

Hello, and welcome to DDO’s main event, Casuals vs Vets! In this corner, we have Noob, a casual DDO player who would like things “just a bit easier”. Noob weighs in at 145 pounds and hates his job. He complains that there’s not enough time in the day to figure out how to navigate the “Raid”. Solving problems in game just isn’t fun after solving problems “all day long in the office”. He’s never actually entered the “Raid” and as of yet has no idea it’s just a big fight. We won’t tell Noob that little tid bit just yet.

In the other corner we have our contender, the vet. His name is Grinder and he’s been playing DDO since way back in the day when it was hard. Grinder got a kick out being blind in town and has deep nostalgia for the good ole days. Weighing in at 345 pounds, Grinder proclaims to be built out of solid steel. He refuses to send a picture though, so we’re not sure if that’s composed of muscle or Ho Ho’s. Grinder proclaims he works but also plays 143 hours per week. He has also stated in the past that he “worked” hard on accumulating video game treasure – coincidence?

Let’s start with the first question:

DDO Host: “This one goes to you Noob. If you were a developer, what would you do?”

Noob: “I’d start by taking all the fun out of the game and re-working the graphics on the pictures in the dungeon. Did you know, they use the same Succubus picture in three different dungeons? What kind of lazy development team are we dealing with?”

DDO Host: “They have pictures in the dungeons?”

Noob: “Yeah, don’t you look at the walls when you’re doing optionals?”

DDO Host: “I don’t actually play the game. I was just hired to help you guys settle your differences.”

DDO Host: “Ok, next question: Grinder, what would you do?”

Grinder: “Moar loot! GOOD LORD I ran that dungeon twenty thousand times, got everything there is to get and I’m getting bored. What the heck is going on with those lazy devs? I’m gonna quit if they don’t give me something to grind for. There are pictures on the walls of dungeons? Wow, your xp/min must suck.”

DDO Host: “Well, by the first round it sounds like we should probably harass the development team a little. Ok, next question. This one goes to Noob. Noob, what is your preferred playstyle?”

Noob: “That’s a tough one Mr. Host. There’s soooo much to do in the game. I can tell you I don’t like puzzles though. If I wanted to do a puzzle I’d go to the Toystore and get a jigsaw. You know, I just want explore the dungeon, look at the cool graphics and relax. I don’t see why Grinder can’t just slow down and do the whole dungeon.”

DDO Host: “Grinder, how do you respond to that?”

Grinder: “There’s only one way to play. Noob’s just a pup. I say zerg all the way. I hate this boring game. It’s like I just run the same dungeon twenty times in a row and then run it again and again. If I could just run it a little quicker I could run it even faster. I can’t stand this stuff. They need more dungeons for me! I got an idea. Why don’t the developers make the same dungeons but for different levels! That way I can run the same dungeons even moar! This time at a different level! “

DDO Host: “That’s a good idea Grinder. That should mix things up.”

DDO Host: “Ok, next question. This time we’ll start with Grinder. Grinder, what exactly do you do for a living?”

Grinder: “I work. I swear! I absolutely DO NOT live in my mom’s basement so stop saying so. Hold on a sec… shut up mom, I’m on the phone! I don’t have any laundry. Been busy playing. Well, this shirt has a bit of Cheetos smudge but I think it’s cool for another week.”

DDO Host: “Well, it seems Grinder’s a bit busy at the moment. Let’s move on to Noob. Noob, what do you do for a living?”

Noob: “I have it so rough. I work 60 hours in office and only have limited time to play. If only they would make the dungeons shorter and maybe weaken the boss monsters. The trees in the new slayer area look so real. I spent most of last night’s session just staring at the beautiful scenery. I think the art team has done a wonder job and I can just immerse myself in the world they created.”

DDO Host: “You don’t have a job either, do you?”

This is the end of round 1. The world waits in suspense. Can there be an end to this feud? Can Noob and Grinder ever get along? Will we ever find out if Noob actually has limited time or if he’s just plain lousy at the game? These question and more abound.

If I had any rep power I would +1 you, sadly I only have a "report" option. Very entertaining, nicely done

But where does a casual vet like me fit in!? Having left out my demographic, mayhaps I should reconsider that "report" button...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

your forgot elitists like me but im done with this game i just like looking on forums and waiting for some good new content

I spent a half-an-hour looking at a flower in King's Forest, and it spoke to me.

is that bad?7

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum View Post
    Hello, and welcome to DDO’s main event, Casuals vs Vets! In this corner, we have Noob, a casual DDO player who would like things “just a bit easier”. Noob weighs in at 145 pounds and hates his job. He complains that there’s not enough time in the day to figure out how to navigate the “Raid”. Solving problems in game just isn’t fun after solving problems “all day long in the office”. He’s never actually entered the “Raid” and as of yet has no idea it’s just a big fight. We won’t tell Noob that little tid bit just yet.

In the other corner we have our contender, the vet. His name is Grinder and he’s been playing DDO since way back in the day when it was hard. Grinder got a kick out being blind in town and has deep nostalgia for the good ole days. Weighing in at 345 pounds, Grinder proclaims to be built out of solid steel. He refuses to send a picture though, so we’re not sure if that’s composed of muscle or Ho Ho’s. Grinder proclaims he works but also plays 143 hours per week. He has also stated in the past that he “worked” hard on accumulating video game treasure – coincidence?
    This was very fun to read.

Here's what I'd like to see happen:

-New Player and Grinder realize that they are not in a fight, nor is DDO a PvP game, for the most part
    -both player agree that better graphics and new content can be good for the game, but fixing game-breaking bugs is probably more important right now
    -both players learn to respect and adapt to other play-styles, especially when they find themselves in PUGs where the LFM does not explicitly say either "Zerg" or "No Zerg"
    -someone informs New Player that there is a way to check the length of a quest, so he can optimize his time in-game and fit his busy schedule
    -New Player keeps an open mind and tries to learn more about the game, and how to become a better builder and player
    -Grinder helps New Player and others like him out, when he can
    "So maybe it's about time we all get a reality check and realize that if you raid, run epics, and have capped toons and worry about ED's TR's and all that jazz, you are a small part of the population of this game, a very small part in fact." -- Ungood

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    I spent a half-an-hour looking at a flower in King's Forest, and it spoke to me.

is that bad?7
    umm... i smoked it and the universe spoke to me. It was awesome!
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

...is that bad?7
    Depends on what it said...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by TBot1234 View Post
    This was very fun to read.

Here's what I'd like to see happen:

-New Player and Grinder realize that they are not in a fight, nor is DDO a PvP game, for the most part
    -both player agree that better graphics and new content can be good for the game, but fixing game-breaking bugs is probably more important right now
    -both players learn to respect and adapt to other play-styles, especially when they find themselves in PUGs where the LFM does not explicitly say either "Zerg" or "No Zerg"
    -someone informs New Player that there is a way to check the length of a quest, so he can optimize his time in-game and fit his busy schedule
    -New Player keeps an open mind and tries to learn more about the game, and how to become a better builder and player
    -Grinder helps New Player and others like him out, when he can
    That would not be entertaining at all. This need to turn into the written version of Jerry Springer and Vince Mcmann's lovechild. No compromise, no remorse, no mercy, no matter how silly both extremes are.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    umm... i smoked it and the universe spoke to me. It was awesome!
    Party on, Barth. Party on...

And pass that stamen to the dwarf on your left.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

is that bad?7
    It would only be bad if it didn't say anything. That would be just rude.
    The blade itself incites to deeds of violence.
    Highlanders Cannith - Kalimah, Calimah, Rustymonster, Kraps, Nepheli, Wurshuper

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    If I had any rep power I would +1 you, sadly I only have a "report" option. Very entertaining, nicely done

But where does a casual vet like me fit in!? Having left out my demographic, mayhaps I should reconsider that "report" button...
    Or someone like me who likes to be efficient but not in a hurry all the time.

There's so much grey area.

It was a fun read though, thanks for the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum View Post

Grinder: There are pictures on the walls of dungeons? Wow, your xp/min must suck.”

Classic.

Wait til they actually go get people from in the game rather than the forums, and realize that 99% of those playing are hey diddle diddle, right in the middle. I only ever meet the extremist personalities outlined here on the forums, not in the game.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by TBot1234 View Post
    Actually I disagree with the graphics part. I think mmo's and computer games in general go after chasing the new shiny graphics too often, and when they do they lock themselves out of demographics. Most consumers have 3 year old or more base model computers, when you don't give those the ability to even play at reduced graphics settings you just took the money out of your own pocket, decreased your subscribers, made your game look empty, and made it where people are less likely to stay as the game looks like a failure.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Actually I disagree with the graphics part. I think mmo's and computer games in general go after chasing the new shiny graphics too often, and when they do they lock themselves out of demographics. Most consumers have 3 year old or more base model computers, when you don't give those the ability to even play at reduced graphics settings you just took the money out of your own pocket, decreased your subscribers, made your game look empty, and made it where people are less likely to stay as the game looks like a failure.
    Have to agree you nailed it there. My poor old computer can't handle wheeloon. Half of the buildings and floors are missing, so i just blindly wandered along to the one quest i found. It wasn't much fun either, especially with the mass fight at the end where everything spawned at once. Instant red alert in a dungeon where i could not see an escape route to run for. Luckily i popped earthquake, sacrificed my hire, owlbear and druid puppy like they were halflings and charged off blindly. I got lucky and things didn't all chase me immediately. In the end i won, though if i had the foresight to test this on the test server i would NOT have bought shadowfell.

Quote Originally Posted by smeggy1384 View Post
    ...sacrificed my hire, owlbear and druid puppy like they were halflings...
    So full of win