Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Parasitic breastplate?

I often see this recommended, and I think I actually have one somewhere. But I don't think I've ever used it because every time I look at the stats, they seem underwhelming, and the "symbiotic backlash" pretty much seals the deal.

I must be missing something important. What is it?

Thanks.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    I often see this recommended, and I think I actually have one somewhere. But I don't think I've ever used it because every time I look at the stats, they seem underwhelming, and the "symbiotic backlash" pretty much seals the deal.

Thanks.
    You can upgrade it with stuff like +10 reflex saves (situationally awesome), Arcane Lore, displacement on hit and some other effects.

See for yourself: http://ddowiki.com/page/Altar_of_Insanity
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Also, the symbiotic backlash can be prevented with http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Sustaining_Symbiont which is a pretty nice item in its own right
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member

Thanks. I did see that, and some of them look neat, but they didn't seem great enough to warrant how often the item seems to be recommended. What are the better add-ons? I'm always skeptical of procs because they are usually too rare to really make much of a difference.

Still not sure I'd use it over my giantcrafted leather armor, and I don't think that's super great either.

ETA: Right, forgot about the symbiont, thanks. I have so many items fighting for the trinket slot that I can rarely use it. (This life the Cove spyglass will likely be there much of the time.)

Besides, symbiotic backlash doesnt proc often enough to be a real problem. An annoyance if it happens at the wrong moment, buty its never bothered me enough to be more than an occacional annoyance.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

It also has great AC for Light armour.

Geoff.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    You can upgrade it with stuff like +10 reflex saves (situationally awesome), Arcane Lore, displacement on hit and some other effects.

The AC is also very good... compared to most other light armors anyway.

But the +10 Ref save option seals the deal IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Not sure if I have enough bits and pieces to upgrade it, though I've seen them going into my bag across many lives and never used them, so I might.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Not sure if I have enough bits and pieces to upgrade it, though I've seen them going into my bag across many lives and never used them, so I might.
    u'll prolly have em, aren't even bound lol

i use it as a purely situational armor, not gonna have to equip 2 items for only 1 benefit(the 10 reflex) so equip it only when u need to cross some nasty trap or swim in crucible, and in some reflex intensive quest as ETK, rest of time i prefer by far my white scale (lol have 1 white scale of every type of armor XD)
    psykopeta is finally baconpletionist because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS: I post only in the latest thread shown in main page, in the weird case u want something from me, feel free to send pm

Community Member

It's decent armor for the minimal effort in getting it upgraded. Also, Will saves are generally low on a pure Rogue so I have a set w/ +10 reflex and a set with +10 will. Not enough to make great will saves, but enough to keep from getting held for terribly long amounts of time up until a certain level. The reflex one I used situationally only, but wore the will save version up until Whisperchain (I didn't have any Epic rogue armor at the time).

A held rogue is generally a dead rogue in a lot of situations.

Community Member

Thanks.
    If you have the sustaining symbiont, it nullifies many negative effects.
    I used them on my horc barb, drow rogue and human ranger well past lvl 20.
    It's very good armor.
    I still keep it on my rogues hotbar at lvl 23.

Basically with the +10 reflex save, you don't need to invest nearly as heavily in DEX to have strong evasion abilities (with the appropriate classes).

I was able to evade at-level heroic elites on a 16/2/2 bard/rogue/fighter which had dumped DEX. Without, I had alot more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post

Displacement on hit is pretty terrific. +10 resist is nice too.

Community Member

Can anyone give me some idea of how often the various guards actually proc? Displacement would be great, but not if it's one out of every 20 hits.

Community Member

No idea on the displacement, I put the +10 reflex on all of mine.

Can anyone give me some idea of how often the various guards actually proc? Displacement would be great, but not if it's one out of every 20 hits.
    I would say its about a 5% chance to proc. Also, the +10 relfex is nice, but it is a resistance bonus, so if you are already wearing a + resisance item, it won't stack. It is still one of the best light armors available up to lvl 20. I personally like the Melodic Guard.

Community Member

Thanks.

I have the upgraded Beholder Plate on my pally. It was the armor I used that bridged the gap between White Dragonscale and His PDK Set.

it has a chance to proc Antimagic, Telekenisis, and Displacement. The Displacement was relatively rare though beneficial in protracted fights, and the Telekinesis guard was near useless. However the Antimagic spike happened A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    I have the upgraded Beholder Plate on my pally. It was the armor I used that bridged the gap between White Dragonscale and His PDK Set.

it has a chance to proc Antimagic, Telekenisis, and Displacement. The Displacement was relatively rare though beneficial in protracted fights, and the Telekinesis guard was near useless. However the Antimagic spike happened A LOT.
    That armor is my favorite heavy armor just for the antimagic proc. One of my favorite docents too.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    That armor is my favorite heavy armor just for the antimagic proc. One of my favorite docents too.
    You know if the Telekinesis Guard required a higher save, I would be GREAT armor. But for the ML it has, Telekinesis is just useless. I had it proc two times that I actually recall, and one of them was in the King's Forest (which I thought odd).

Outside of that, with the Symbiot it is indeed decent stuff. Event the Metal Fatigue isn't all that bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast