Results 1 to 11 of 11

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    988

    Default shadow veil questions

    looking to respec a staff rogue that's been sitting idle. with the new bonuses in rogue and monk lines to Q-staffs, he may come out of retirement. have been reading everything I could find on the forums and thought I was planning on doing a 13 R, 6 M, 1 D build. one of the main reasons I was looking at 6 monk was how everyone kept saying how great the shadow veil enhancement is. and the extra defense it gives with 25% incorporeal.

    however, if I am reading the description correctly, it only has a 1 minute duration? is that correct? granted, the cool down is quick enough you could keep it running all the time, assuming you kept remembering to activate it every minute.

    is there any way to extend the duration? because as nice as that is, what a pain to keep refreshing that often.

  2. #2
    Community Member FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,946

    Default

    Nope no way to extend it - I just activate it before running into the fight, splat things around for a while then dart out of the fight, renew it & jump back in from time to time.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

  3. #3
    Founder
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    Nope no way to extend it - I just activate it before running into the fight, splat things around for a while then dart out of the fight, renew it & jump back in from time to time.
    thank you for the confirmation. so many of the new enhancements benefit other enhancements now, was hoping I was missing another enhancement that would help extend it. other similar defensive benefits, e.g. displacement, start off with a much shorter duration but have ways to make them last much longer at higher levels.

    which brings up another question, is shadow veil negated by true seeing like displacement is? if not, then regardless of the short time frame, would be much more useful for a lot of boss fights

    guess I will give it a try and see how cumbersome it becomes.

  4. #4
    Community Member Lonnbeimnech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    thank you for the confirmation. so many of the new enhancements benefit other enhancements now, was hoping I was missing another enhancement that would help extend it. other similar defensive benefits, e.g. displacement, start off with a much shorter duration but have ways to make them last much longer at higher levels.

    which brings up another question, is shadow veil negated by true seeing like displacement is? if not, then regardless of the short time frame, would be much more useful for a lot of boss fights

    guess I will give it a try and see how cumbersome it becomes.
    its incoporial so its overcome by ghost touch not true seeing, and it stacks with displacement/blur and dodge and ac

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    thank you for the confirmation. so many of the new enhancements benefit other enhancements now, was hoping I was missing another enhancement that would help extend it. other similar defensive benefits, e.g. displacement, start off with a much shorter duration but have ways to make them last much longer at higher levels.

    which brings up another question, is shadow veil negated by true seeing like displacement is? if not, then regardless of the short time frame, would be much more useful for a lot of boss fights

    guess I will give it a try and see how cumbersome it becomes.
    Shadow Veil gives 25% incorporeality for one minute. Remember it also allows you to become invisible at will, too. The short-term effect of many spell-like abilities is common for the Monk class. The upside is that these abilities are powered by ki, a mystical power that regenerates in battle. So they use their powers for as long as there's something to fight, and not worry about finding the next shrine or drinking a spellpoint potion.

    If you train in the Shadowdancer epic destiny, you can gain Shadow Form. This is 25% persistent incorporeality that disappears only on quest completion, entry or if you toggle it off.

    The best guys at being ghosts are highly trained Pale Masters, who can pull off 35% incorporeality.

    Incorporeality is bypassed only by enemies that can harm ghosts effectively (Ghost Touch). Most enemies haven't this at all, so being ghostly in any degree is a good thing.

    Along with being ghostly, the more concealment and Dodge effects you can have working, the more likely that attacks will simply miss you. It's well worth the effort to get these effects.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    28

    Default Does Incorporeality Stack?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Shadow Veil gives 25% incorporeality for one minute. Remember it also allows you to become invisible at will, too. The short-term effect of many spell-like abilities is common for the Monk class. The upside is that these abilities are powered by ki, a mystical power that regenerates in battle. So they use their powers for as long as there's something to fight, and not worry about finding the next shrine or drinking a spellpoint potion.

    The best guys at being ghosts are highly trained Pale Masters, who can pull off 35% incorporeality.
    Does Incorporeality stack? So If I got 35% from Pale MAster and 25% from Shadow Veil, would I have 60% or just 35%? or would it be 35% and 25% (with attacks checked separately against each)?

  7. #7
    Community Member FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,946

    Default

    Only the single highest % effect present at any time would stack, so just the PM 35% - though you'd still have a ki-powered 1min invisibility clicky at least
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload