Default Got bored at work, and thought about DDO and Mabar

I just thought to myself: People like to call it Lagbar because, in all honesty, it's a pretty big resource consumer.

So then my extremely bored self though "Hey self, what would happen if they offloaded the entire Mabar event to a completely different server? Maybe even, by doing this, allow us to play with other people from other servers on this one special "Event Server" that we can access in game. That way, it doesn't drain on the normal servers and I can also play with people whom I've only heard about.

Imagine (if all of them still played) a party with Shade, Rogann, Cetuss, Shataan, Symmerith, etc etc all running around trash talking and killing the spectral dragon when it pops.

This would also have the benefit that if everyone was on the same server doing it, the dragon would pop up at least every hour regardless of the time of night.

Yes I understand this would be an absolute nightmare to code, and would never happen. I also understand that a lot of you believe Turbine is completely inept at absolutely everything and can't even tie their own shoes. I'm just throwing this idea out there for the fun of it.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

You mean, a event server in which I'm actually able to take part in an event because I'm not just frozen in place due to the lag?
    A magical server where I might actually get to see what the Spectral dragon looks like instead of just being frozen in the room for 20 minutes then suddenly getting thrown back into the graveyard with a scale?
    A server I'm actually able to log on to period?

I'd sell my soul among other things for this to be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    can't even tie their own shoes.
    I haven't tied my shoes since I was 8... I don't even remember how at this point.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmanis View Post
    Yes I understand this would be an absolute nightmare to code, and would never happen. I also understand that a lot of you believe Turbine is completely inept at absolutely everything and can't even tie their own shoes. I'm just throwing this idea out there for the fun of it.
    Sure it sounds great, but the issue isn't just coding. Being on another server means not being on the server that the toon you want to run is on. It would require special attention to transfer characters not only to the Event Server but back as well. Furthermore, what if during the event you decide you want to do something else, well now you have to transfer back to your regular server. Well now you've gone and done that other thing and you want to go back to Mabar... I think you get the idea. Furthermore, because of all those players who want transfers, what sort of waiting list are we looking at? Do you put your faith in Turbine's use of an automated script and hope that data isn't lost in the process or do you expect them to put personal attention into each transfer and have to wait, wait, wait? Do you really expect Turbine to do that many character transfers for just some event? Do you really think that Turbine, who hasn't even put much attention into the loot, would?

I'd love to not have to worry about Lag-bar, but sadly this isn't the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    I haven't tied my shoes since I was 8... I don't even remember how at this point.
    What are shoes?

oh, zeah - it would be nice opportunity to smuggle stuff from one world to another)

Hero

This explains so many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    What are shoes?
    They're one of the items, along with a Shirt, that you need to flag for entry to 7-11.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Saravis View Post
    Sure it sounds great, but the issue isn't just coding. Being on another server means not being on the server that the toon you want to run is on. It would require special attention to transfer characters not only to the Event Server but back as well. Furthermore, what if during the event you decide you want to do something else, well now you have to transfer back to your regular server. Well now you've gone and done that other thing and you want to go back to Mabar... I think you get the idea. Furthermore, because of all those players who want transfers, what sort of waiting list are we looking at? Do you put your faith in Turbine's use of an automated script and hope that data isn't lost in the process or do you expect them to put personal attention into each transfer and have to wait, wait, wait? Do you really expect Turbine to do that many character transfers for just some event? Do you really think that Turbine, who hasn't even put much attention into the loot, would?

I'd love to not have to worry about Lag-bar, but sadly this isn't the solution.
    I would love to hear from the programmers on these forums, but I think it's not that complicated. I imagine that they already have multiple boxes supporting a world. At the very least they could have a separate box per world only for festivals. Course that would be an expense they probably don't want.

Some MMOs use the same boxes for all their worlds - which makes switching worlds very easy ala GW2 where you don't even have to log out. I don't know where DDO falls in server configuration but theoretically it isn't arcane or anything.

As for losing data, they already have character transfer to Lamannia which has been working fine for me.

You mean, a event server in which I'm actually able to take part in an event because I'm not just frozen in place due to the lag?
    A magical server where I might actually get to see what the Spectral dragon looks like instead of just being frozen in the room for 20 minutes then suddenly getting thrown back into the graveyard with a scale?
    You do realize that your experience is not typical, right? If you got a scale, then a whole lot of players (probably the majority) were doing just fine. In fact, I've killed a lot of spectral dragons, spent untold hours running Mabar and other things during Mabar, and I have never experienced this all-consuming lag that you speak of. My experience is that about 1 in 5 spectral dragon encounters has some instance-specific lag, but it's almost always something that can be fought through.

The point isn't that the lag isn't real, it's that it is more than likely a combination of factors. Including player computers, their ISP, *and* the load on certain DDO servers at certain times of the day.

I guess what I'm advocating is a for people experiencing that sort of play disruption to provide more actionable evidence so that Turbine (or the players themselves) might be able to address the mitigating factors. Expecting an events server to appear anytime soon is not likely to happen. And assuming it would fix the problem may not be correct either. But with more specific information, Turbine might be able to address troubled servers or propose other fixes.

Some useful information would be:

1) Sever that lag is being experienced on.
    2) Time lag is being experienced.
    3) Pingtest.net and Speedtest.net results at the time. If you can ping the actual server that would be even better.
    4) Computer specs.

If you were really bored at work you'd download DDO and start playing.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    This explains so many things.
    Don't you even start!
    You, just go die!

Quote Originally Posted by Full_Bleed View Post
    You do realize that your experience is not typical, right? If you got a scale, then a whole lot of players (probably the majority) were doing just fine. In fact, I've killed a lot of spectral dragons, spent untold hours running Mabar and other things during Mabar, and I have never experienced this all-consuming lag that you speak of. My experience is that about 1 in 5 spectral dragon encounters has some instance-specific lag, but it's almost always something that can be fought through.

The point isn't that the lag isn't real, it's that it is more than likely a combination of factors. Including player computers, their ISP, *and* the load on certain DDO servers at certain times of the day.

I guess what I'm advocating is a for people experiencing that sort of play disruption to provide more actionable evidence so that Turbine (or the players themselves) might be able to address the mitigating factors. Expecting an events server to appear anytime soon is not likely to happen. And assuming it would fix the problem may not be correct either. But with more specific information, Turbine might be able to address troubled servers or propose other fixes.

Some useful information would be:

1) Sever that lag is being experienced on.
    2) Time lag is being experienced.
    3) Pingtest.net and Speedtest.net results at the time. If you can ping the actual server that would be even better.
    4) Computer specs.
    Yes, I'm aware of all of this, and I've provided these things multiple times. Doesn't change the fact I can log into FF14 just fine and play for hours, but I can't even log into DDO right now, let alone during Lagbar.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    As for losing data, they already have character transfer to Lamannia which has been working fine for me.
    Lamannia is a perfect example of why it wouldn't work. Lamannia is just a preview server that not that many players participate in. Furthermore, there's no need to have to switch a player back to his original world as I had brought up in my previous post. Despite this, while few, there are still issues of failed transfers and long waits for transfers to go through. So now you take that same example and you increase the amount of players that want to take part and you increase the amount of transfers for each player for every toon that wants to take part and every time they want to return to their original world and every time they want to transfer to the Mabar Server. The task is getting larger and larger, the risk of problems more and more likely. It's as with anything; the greater the project, the greater the risk.

I could certainly be over complicating it, perhaps it actually is absurdly easy, but those are nonetheless problems that come to mind.

No, the coding issue is in regards to you being able to freely go from your server to the event server by going through a portal and loading in there. Maybe, even just allow you to load into the event exactly like the Hall of Heroes that we have now.

That's where the biggest issue comes in :P