Thread: Otto's box

Default Otto's box

I see the boxes are back. I had a bad experience with the Bigby's box. When I used the stone it did not add in any of my active xp bonuses. Has anyone tried an Otto stone recently? I'd really like to know before I consider buying one. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Otto's boxes haven't changed and QuartermasterX (I believe) said they won't change in the future either.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Don't have a link handy, but iirc Cordovan said (I think in the Bigby's thread) that future Ottos stones would continue to work "normally" (bonuses applying).

Edit: Cordo, Qmaster... Some yellow name anyway

On a side note:
    The financial year is devided into fiscal quarters, and we seem to see Ottos boxes ~every three months... a coincidence I'm sure...
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 09-19-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Here are the posts I've found about it :
    QMasterX
    Cordovan
    ProducerRowan
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    Here are the posts I've found about it :
    QMasterX
    Cordovan
    ProducerRowan
    Thanks, that seems to make it more than likely the stones still stack...

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Community Member

Default I have a question about the Stone of Experience itself

Can it be use on only one character period? or can it be used on multiple characters per account. I have heard rumors either way and before I move to purchase one thought i would ask.

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lohrmahr View Post
    Can it be use on only one character period? or can it be used on multiple characters per account. I have heard rumors either way and before I move to purchase one thought i would ask.
    One stone one character. That's it. Single use only.

Those from the ddo store are multiple uses.
    Fawngate use quite a few of these.
    They should be unchanged which means most all xp bonuses will stack.
    (Global weekend bonuses and inside quest bonuses don't, but voice, xp pot, vip, ship buffs, tomes all will.)
    (You can end up at level 19 if you try.)

Those leftover from a free give away (different name I think), are one per account per server.
    Fawngate used this on her second fighter life, I believe.

Community Member

The older MOTU stones could only be used on one character per account.
    The newer Otto's Stones of Experience can be used as many times as you like on an account - that limitation was removed.
    So if you TR, you could use 1 each life on the same toon.

The DDO wiki explains it all pretty well.
    Be very careful if you are buying a stone from someone that you do not know. Some people are/were being ripped off. The MOTU stone can be mailed, but they will not work on any other account than the original (and even then only once per account per gamer server).

The devs have confirmed that Otto's stones do stack with some XP bonuses (Sovereign pot, VIP account XP bonus, Guild ship buff and Mantle/Voice but not bonus weekends or learning tomes).
    Bigby's stones do not stack. From what QMX said, this appears to have been a late change that even he was not aware when he was out spruiking how fantastic they were....

Regarding the current Otto's boxes, there were some concerns expressed about a month ago by Vastyr about their transferability (which was not in line with the official wording).
    The Devs did not not respond in the forums to his testing, so I have resurrected that thread hoping for confirmation that the issues Vastyr encountered have been fixed (or added to the backburner of bug fixes). Read it and make sure you understand the possible risks lest it affects your planned usage.
    If you plan to buy one, open the box and use it on the same toon, you should be fine.

Community Member

Ninja'd by Silverleaf! :-)

Community Member

It does stack with xp pots, xp buff, voice...unlike the bigby stone.

You get one stone from a box which has a single use, however you can use the stones from the multiple boxes more times on the same character after you TR unlike the free stones.