Hybrid View

Community Member

Default How to improve my detection to see all hidden enemies ?

I love playing solo with my Wizard due to his resourcefulness and ability to plan my fights, but one thing that gets me crazy is the inability to see some hidden enemies.

To name a few that usually I can't see before they are already at melee range:

- Thaarak Hounds in quests like Invaders.
    - Most Drow Scorpions.
    - Random archers and thieves.

My question is: Is there a way to improve my detection and see those creatures as a pure Wizard (considering I only have half ranks in Spot and Listen, and only Wisdom 8).

Are those enemies invisible in a way that See Invisibility would work?
    If not, is there a way to improve my Spot/Listen enough to detect everything around my level (maybe Greater Heroism, Wisdom augment, Spot/Listen augments, etc)?

Community Member

Don't worry at all about Listen. Spot might help but only on some. Things like Thaarak hounds in invaders spawn at certain points, or respawn later, so there is no spotting them beforehand. While summons are not that great for fighting most of the time you might try keeping one up and moving a bit slower than normal. If it takes off and starts swinging at an empty space you know it spotted something.

Community Member

Sneaking is pointless in this game, I don't even know why it is choice.

With the way the quests are designed you can't go more than 50 before you run into a barrier or locked door and have to kill every anyway, to get past it.

This sort of defeats the purpose of trying to sneak through a quest.

Quest design is bad, all for the sake of keeping players from Zerging.

Default Couple choices

you have a few choices to see invisible or hidden mobs. True seeing is a 6th level wizard spell I beleive. Its also a 5th level cleric spell. You could also craft an item with it, for permanent true seeing, or get an named item with it. If you have voice of the master and the Mantle of the Worldshaper it also has true seeing with both equipped.

There is a second level wizard spell *See Invisible* but it won't see hidden mobs I believe, just invisible or etheral critters or objects.

Community Member

I also like to have Spot on my characters. While there are some enemies that spawn quickly, there are also many that lie hidden until they attack you or you trip over them. Spot helps me see these enemies and plan for them. There is really only one good way to see hidden enemies: increase your Spot. This can be done by using a Spot item (I believe they are called "of the Eagle" but not positive). These come as named or random. I often run with a Spot item on and switch it out for combat to a more combat-oriented item. You can also increase your Spot by increasing your Wisdom. Wisdom items also come in named and random varieties. To save an equipment slot, the spell Owl's Wisdom is helpful. Augments may also help with Spot, but may not stack with the Spot item (not too keen on augments, I don't use many). Ifyou are lucky enough to get an old Guild Augment item, it WILL stack. A skill tome will also add to your Spot and it stacks with everything except another skill tome. Finally, any buff that increases all stats will also help with Spot. These include Heroism Greater Heroism, Phiarlan Shipbuff, Luck (found on Voice of the Master, Ring of the Buccaneer and other places),Profane (check ddowiki for how to get a Profane buff), Bardbuffs and others.

If your enemy is invisible Spot won't help at all. For this you want True Seeing which will probably not be a problem for a wizard.

I like to run with summons. When I see them go charging off, I know there is an enemy over there. Hirelings will do this also. So, if you don't spot it, maybe your summons will.

There is really no substitue for plenty of skill points put into Spot. I find Listen to be much inferior to Spot. So I would recommend that you stop putting points into Listen and put full ranks into Spot. If reincarnation is a possibility, you can reallocate your skill points.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze44 View Post

With the way the quests are designed you can't go more than 50 before you run into a barrier or locked door and have to kill every anyway, to get past it.
    Not true, there are a few quests designed with a sneaking option in mind, which are quite well-designed. I wish there were actually more of these around - though probably not at high levels, otherwise people would just zerg them with Shadowalk on or whatnot.

The Hatchery

Hahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHA

First might I recommend taking some time to do a little better research. Mr. Cow has been posting videos and guides to "Sneaking" through quests for almost as long as DDO is old.

Putting in Doors is not bad design in and of itself, and if a door is preventing you from zerging than you might want to re-examine why... DA is in place to prevent Zerg, not doors.

As for sneaking enemies you have a couple options
    1. Spot - skill
    2. Listen - skill
    3. Summon - As they seem to have more acute skills (Or AI foreknowledge)

Most recommend Spot over Listen because of how the enemy is displayed. I think a person should consider which is a class skill as well so you get the most bang for you buck.
    Last edited by Enoach; 09-20-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lppmor View Post
    I love playing solo with my Wizard due to his resourcefulness and ability to plan my fights, but one thing that gets me crazy is the inability to see some hidden enemies.

To name a few that usually I can't see before they are already at melee range:

- Thaarak Hounds in quests like Invaders.
    - Most Drow Scorpions.
    - Random archers and thieves.

My question is: Is there a way to improve my detection and see those creatures as a pure Wizard (considering I only have half ranks in Spot and Listen, and only Wisdom 8).

If not, is there a way to improve my Spot/Listen enough to detect everything around my level (maybe Greater Heroism, Wisdom augment, Spot/Listen augments, etc)?
    A high spot will help you see enemies that are hiding, provided they already exist. My rogue has no problem spotting "hidden" enemies, and can assassinate them while hiding.

Seeing them at a far distance is somewhat tough regardless because of the way they are graphically represented.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thumbs up Yes, yes and yes

Quote Originally Posted by lppmor View Post

Yes. You are receiving some bad answers to your question in this thread; most likely because these players are not playing with the playstyle you are referencing.

1) As a Wizard, assuming 16+ in intelligence, you should have plenty of points. I put points into listen - it works - especially now after the recent updates. Watch for red marks on the floor showing hidden enemies - even if you can't "see" them. The key is not zerging - especially if you are more cc specced. Hide and MS are also very helpful for the playstyle you are referring to as they make you slow down and avoid 'bumping' into hidden creatures.

2) Spot is a great skill, again, max out. If you want, LR and splash rogue for 2 levels and get evasion as well as more points in this and listen.

3) Remember, spells will help (e.g., Glitterdust or Faerie Fire (on scroll with UMD), as will hirelings and pets. Pets and Hires tend to aggro things - stay in sneak and let them get aggro and you can cast accordingly.

Many players who have run these quests ad nauseum, don't need spot and listen because they know the quests like the back of their hand. If you don't, these skills can be very helpful, especially in a slower playstyle. GL!
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

I use a Spot item on my monk to improve her ability to "see" stealthed mobs. Helps a lot for me, but it does require a gear slot.
    There is no free lunch.