Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by eonfreon View Post
    Won't get any disagreement with me on this point. One of the things I dislike about the idea of Epic TR is that I'll be largely playing to re-equip what gear I have already acquired, rather than acquiring new gear. With bank and bag space already being stretched to the limit, I hate having to keep holding on to lower level gear just so I have something to use when I get the big ole level drain of ER and am suddenly level 20 again.
    I'm sorry to say this... but your reasons to be against the mechanics are so lame it's not even funny. Just disregard them and keep enjoying the game as you've always did. It won't hurt you at all.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    I believe this is no longer the case when it comes to heroic leveling on 3rd+ life. I mostly tested it last life, but couldn't resist the urge to run Shadow Crypt twice and when I got to 17 I did run Litany of the Dead several times as well. But what I discovered was that I got to 20 with several quest packs untouched. I did however run the cannith (but not eveningstar) challenges once each for some first time bonuses. I did not run any of the latest expansion nor high road quests at heroic levels, but did run all the other quests that were not raids. The point is, with the new first-run-of-the-day bonus it is probably not necessary to repeat any quests as all even if you never use an experience potion (which I don't). I should point out that I did have a 5% ship buff, 5% equipment buff, 50% tome buff, and 50% elite streak the whole time though. You may have to be willing to take certain levels before you used to though. If you are level 12 you don't have to get all the way to 1 experience from 14 before you take 13. Just do the level 10's on elite and level up. The worst that will happen is you may have to run some extra Litany of the Dead when you are level 17 or 18. You can use that quest to catch up if any mathematical errors are made (or if there are certain heroic quests packs you want to skip).
    Well, I haven't skipped much (mostly Threnal, which I'm not a fan of) and I will be repeating a lot of stuff in the mid to upper teens. I already find myself not able to bank as much as I did last life... I am one rank past 14 at level 13 and most of my level 11s are already done. Definitely going to end up doing some repeating. Last life was a bit easier because of Cove. (I wish Mabar wasn't an XP wasteland... there's no XP in it anywhere, and since I have over 20k motes and a dozen scales saved up, I may mostly skip it except for puttering around and getting that new item for the tomes once a day...)

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    I'm sorry to say this... but your reasons to be against the mechanics are so lame it's not even funny. Just disregard them and keep enjoying the game as you've always did. It won't hurt you at all.
    Nope. Won't hurt me much at all. Just won't benefit Turbine as much as it could because it won't inspire me to play much, which lowers my chance of spending money on the game.

I'm just tired of mechanics that make you have to lose abilities to gain abilities and then just re-level to get back what you used to have. So you think it's lame, so what? You could at least explain why you think it's lame.

Why do you think I should want to lose levels to gain abilities and then re-level up to regain what I already have?

Just because?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by eonfreon View Post
    Nope. Won't hurt me much at all. Just won't benefit Turbine as much as it could because it won't inspire me to play much, which lowers my chance of spending money on the game.

I'm just tired of mechanics that make you have to lose abilities to gain abilities and then just re-level to get back what you used to have. So you think it's lame, so what? You could at least explain why you think it's lame.

Why do you think I should want to lose levels to gain abilities and then re-level up to regain what I already have?

Just because?
    Why should I bother explaining to someone who seems to not want to understand anything other than it's own point of view. TRs aren't new and you're still playing, how is this different?

Okay. You want it all without a sacrifice? Well other are looking to make those sacrifices just so they can be stronger. Why would your way be better? See, your way of thinking excludes the fact that the others are willing to do more for something that is actually not neccessary. You're not. Since when is life fair to the lazy ones? What will benefit Turbine the most? Most likely not you looking for everything for free while others are willing to pay for what you aren't.

I won't even go deeper into this because I feel you won't even get it. Prove me wrong and we'll have more fun.

Community Member

The point is to get people to spend more time playing more of the game rather than a small handful of quests and raids. Why is it a problem to spend time gaining XP to improve your character but not a problem to spend time grinding gear to improve it?

There's no "right" or "wrong" here, just saying that they're both pretty much the same thing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by doawithlife View Post
    So yeah, that is a lot of stuff(wonder if anyone will read it or if it makes sense).
    Read it, indeed I did. Agree with it...not so much. You are talking about a lot of developer time to create content that most people will never see. The grind you mentioned having to go through to get to those 5 wilderness zones means most people probably will never see them even after a level cap increase because it is too much effort to get there. I understand the desire to have meaningful rewards and to have a game take an unbelievable amount of time to progress in (that is something I actually look for in a game) but if that time is just spent getting an item that they can live without then it is very easy to ignore the existence of the item. The game is lacking content as it is. Time spent making content that most people will never play just doesn't sound like a good idea. All content should be accessible to all players.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Says the guy that typed 3 sentences. Embrace brevity.
    I did that on purpose. If you look at that post, the post I quoted, this post, and your post that I am now quoting you will find 4 great examples. If all 4 of those posts were deleted nothing of value would be missing from this thread. Other than direct answer to questions (like how do I get to market) very little of meaningful value is said in less than 3 sentences.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    The point is to get people to spend more time playing more of the game rather than a small handful of quests and raids. Why is it a problem to spend time gaining XP to improve your character but not a problem to spend time grinding gear to improve it?

There's no "right" or "wrong" here, just saying that they're both pretty much the same thing.
    I have no problem gaining xp. I just rather not have to REGAIN xp over and over. That's why I'd like to see an alternative to ER. I'm very willing to earn xp to move forward. But how much "more of the game" will really become available by going down in levels?

I'll be in maxed EDs. It'll be a snorefest to blow through low level 20's content even missing a few feats. How is that an exciting game? Plus I'll have an "Epic Past Life Feat", whatever it will be. Will doing a few more quests which I'll outlevel really enrich the endgame experience? Couldn't that be accomplished by adding more end game quests instead?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    I can point out obvious decision flaws on behalf of turbine. Instead of cashing out on their enhancement pass, perhaps they should've continued to maintain the integrity of the endgame environment. I just payed for an entire expansion, and a month later there's nothing to do.
    I do hope you have learned from this mistake and won't preorder the next expansion (and won't buy it when it actually comes out either unless it definitely is worth the amount being charged for it). We have to speak with our wallets. Say no to over priced expansions with too little content. We have the power to change the world....of the Forgotten Realms.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    So in short you want DDO to be Hello Kitty online?
    I did not realize Hello Kitty Online was just DDO with a reasonable loot system. I assumed there would be kitties (which are not my thing).

Community Member

You need to take the class called Human Nature 101. Then you'll understand how much this doesn't make sense. More effort/time for the same result? Yeah right, so 2013.
    Why then are there difficulty settings on single player games? According to your idea of human nature the only singly player difficulty setting anyone ever uses is the easy setting because the results are the same in all settings. I seem to be an exception to this rule. I always knew I was something more than human.

Community Member

Why then are there difficulty settings on single player games? According to your idea of human nature the only singly player difficulty setting anyone ever uses is the easy setting because the results are the same in all settings. I seem to be an exception to this rule. I always knew I was something more than human.
    Yeah well that was about MMO which involves better reward.

I also aim for challenges in single player games even if there are no reward in term of items. But hey, how can facerolling be enjoyable? The reward, in this case, is overcoming the challenge. Like I almost gave up on Dark Souls, but once I mixed it up with pwning people online, I found a new enjoyement and didn't care much about loot anymore. Back to fun.

What we're looking for, depending on our skill level just can't be the same for everyone. A good NHL player wouldn't have that much fun going back to junior league would he?

Still human nature. Now you stop praising yourself hehe.

I do hope you have learned from this mistake and won't preorder the next expansion (and won't buy it when it actually comes out either unless it definitely is worth the amount being charged for it). We have to speak with our wallets. Say no to over priced expansions with too little content. We have the power to change the world....of the Forgotten Realms.
    I agree with that, they're going to have to work a lot harder to get me to give them money again.
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    If you think only the "1%" are completing raids and EEs you are delusional.
    I don't think that (and my post did not say that I did).

See, another great example of two posts (both this one and the one that I quoted) that could be deleted and nothing of value would be lost from the thread.

Short posts rarely contribute meaningful dialogue to any debate.

Community Member

So cliché yet so true.

Why take a part of the game away from other when we're not even interrested into it. I think that's what I find the worst about those complaints.

We, powergamers, enjoy endgame which is... maybe 5% max of the game (not even currently). Isn't the other 95% enought for them?
    It absolutely is enough for them. They don't want the EE quests. They just want the gear from them. We that like the challenge are welcome to keep our EE to ourselves. What drops out of EE is a different story. They like being amazingly powerful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    Then why do you bother posting here? Given your extremely casual playtime, you'll have a hard time keeping up with all the stuff turbine has already offered, let alone the new stuff. Right?

So...by extending that logic, if turbine accommodated those who are already out of things to do, then you'd definitely benefit from it too, since you'd really benefit from anything that turbine releases with your amazingly rich and fruitful lifestyle.

Money can't buy skill, and the skilled players are the ones who crave for the most attention from turbine right now.

shoot
    This is exactly it.

A small number of vocal casual gamers have decided to take up arms against Turbine putting anything else into the game the people they label power gamers enjoy, claiming that we should all just play for the enjoyment of playing. Kind of an odd request, when those players making said request have their desires already placated by a game that already has a large enough amount of content where they couldn't possibly play through it all quickly enough to get bored with it. This kind of request is a direct contradiction in logic not only for the reason mentioned above, but also for the reason that when Turbine gives us a new raid, they also give us new quests in the same pack.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post

There's no "right" or "wrong" here . . .
    Yes there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    This is exactly it.

A small number of vocal casual gamers have decided to take up arms against Turbine putting anything else into the game the people they label power gamers enjoy, claiming that we should all just play for the enjoyment of playing. Kind of an odd request, when those players making said request have their desires already placated by a game that already has a large enough amount of content where they couldn't possibly play through it all quickly enough to get bored with it. This kind of request is a direct contradiction in logic not only for the reason mentioned above, but also for the reason that when Turbine gives us a new raid, they also give us new quests in the same pack.
    Is it really just envy and "the evil power-gamer was mean to me" nonsense that has people actually in opposition to Turbine actually having an end-game? No other explanation makes sense besides sour grapes.

While he may or may not have proof that only 5% of players bother to raid (it is a commonly quoted number by developers and players all over the internet though I have no idea what specific studies led to this number) you don't have the "experience" to say otherwise either. You don't know enough of the player base to claim that it is not your experience. None of us do. MMO's always have a number of people that rarely if ever group and when they do they group only with people that they know in real life. Naturally it would not be your "experience" to even run into these people much less raid with them. Just like in the real world we tend to meet people that we have a reason to meet (usually we like the same things or frequent the same places). If you like to raid naturally you are going to meet a lot of raiders in your "experience". That doesn't mean most people raid, it means most people you hang out with raid.

It's the same reason people say this game is too easy. It is too easy for people like themselves and the people that they know (which naturally are people like themselves). The kind of people that are challenged by the game don't tend to hang out with them so they don't exist "in their experience.".
    I have the experience of having played this game since it could be bought in a box, as well as working in the industry for a number of years. Please show me these dev quotes "all over the internet" where they are saying only 5% of people raid in MMOs. Citation still needed.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

It absolutely is enough for them. They don't want the EE quests. They just want the gear from them. We that like the challenge are welcome to keep our EE to ourselves. What drops out of EE is a different story. They like being amazingly powerful too.
    Good build + Fully maxed out best gear + Epic hard/normal = Facerolling.

Not sure if I read your post right as you're defending that stance or not but... it still doesn't make sense to me.

We actually want better gear in order to take on (hope for) a greater challenge, no? Now if that challenge was there...

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast