Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    If you have done everything in your power to be as amazingly awesome as possible and the game is still challenging then the game sucks
    Our opinions are directly opposite then because I think that if a game doesn't offer a challenge mode for someone who has gotten every piece of power in the game the game was horribly designed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Right. We should change our play style we had been using for years if we aren't challenged anymore. We should run quests gearless, run quest in useless off destinies on EE, play classes we have no interest in playing, play pure (lol), play perma death. We change our play style because Turbine decided to make the game easier for casuals and new players. Its our problem if we refuse (lol) to create our own challenge. Bunch of horse puckey is what it is.
    Face it, you are a better player than you used to be. You have more skill than you had before and simply are not challenged as much as you use to be, especially when you play the game using the really easy powerful builds. Like any game with variable difficulty settings you can choose to play on a harder setting (pure builds, leveling off destinies in EE, etc.) or you can continue to play on the easy setting (because you enjoy being powerful) and complain that the game is not challenging enough. It really doesn't matter which you choose. You are the one playing and you are the one that has to live with your decision.

And it should be pointed out that while running a capped off destiny in EE is purposely gimping yourself, running an uncapped off destiny in EE is simply leveling your character in a challenging environment. The former has no purpose other than to make yourself weaker. The latter has a very specific purpose (earning twists while still being challenged rather than only earning twists in content you find too easy to be fun).
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    The wall of text is most used by those with nothing important to say.
    As a general rule of thumb, if you deleted every post that is less than 3 sentences from a thread, nothing of value (except direct answers to specific questions) would be deleted. Extremely short posts almost never have anything useful to add to a conversation. If you need proof, just glance though 90%+ of posts made by The_Troll.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

As a general rule of thumb, if you deleted every post that is less than 3 sentences from a thread, nothing of value (except direct answers to specific questions) would be deleted. Extremely short posts almost never have anything useful to add to a conversation. If you need proof, just glance though 90%+ of posts made by The_Troll.
    Says the guy that typed 3 sentences. Embrace brevity.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Citation needed. This is not my experience at all.
    While he may or may not have proof that only 5% of players bother to raid (it is a commonly quoted number by developers and players all over the internet though I have no idea what specific studies led to this number) you don't have the "experience" to say otherwise either. You don't know enough of the player base to claim that it is not your experience. None of us do. MMO's always have a number of people that rarely if ever group and when they do they group only with people that they know in real life. Naturally it would not be your "experience" to even run into these people much less raid with them. Just like in the real world we tend to meet people that we have a reason to meet (usually we like the same things or frequent the same places). If you like to raid naturally you are going to meet a lot of raiders in your "experience". That doesn't mean most people raid, it means most people you hang out with raid.

It's the same reason people say this game is too easy. It is too easy for people like themselves and the people that they know (which naturally are people like themselves). The kind of people that are challenged by the game don't tend to hang out with them so they don't exist "in their experience.".

You TR him. That character is done. Your choices are to shelve him, delete him, or TR him. If there are any of the 39 past lives you have not gotten yet I would TR him. If you have all 39 I would shelve him. Video games (even MMO's) don't last forever and the faster we level the sooner they end. That is why the changes to leveling speed in MMO's over the last 10 years have been so sad. People want to level quickly to get to an end game only to realize (as you just have) that there is no point in being there because there is nothing worthwhile to do. End games are always pointless. Nothing you do ever lasts. If the game gives you the ability to change the world (like in a PvP end game) then the other team will just change it back. If an end game gives you the ability to gather gear, then future updates will just make that gear obsolete and cause you to throw it away. End games are pointless. Slow leveling for the win. In video games the journeys are always greater than the destinations.
    Or...

I can point out obvious decision flaws on behalf of turbine. Instead of cashing out on their enhancement pass, perhaps they should've continued to maintain the integrity of the endgame environment. I just payed for an entire expansion, and a month later there's nothing to do. I sustained two LR mistakes and a constrained gaming schedule in the process, and I'm STILL tapped out on things to do...

Only thing left is to work on an alt or something, effectively shelving the main character for the foreseeable future. Bleh...
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

You TR him. That character is done. Your choices are to shelve him, delete him, or TR him. If there are any of the 39 past lives you have not gotten yet I would TR him. If you have all 39 I would shelve him. Video games (even MMO's) don't last forever and the faster we level the sooner they end. That is why the changes to leveling speed in MMO's over the last 10 years have been so sad. People want to level quickly to get to an end game only to realize (as you just have) that there is no point in being there because there is nothing worthwhile to do. End games are always pointless. Nothing you do ever lasts. If the game gives you the ability to change the world (like in a PvP end game) then the other team will just change it back. If an end game gives you the ability to gather gear, then future updates will just make that gear obsolete and cause you to throw it away. End games are pointless. Slow leveling for the win. In video games the journeys are always greater than the destinations.
    That may be true in your experience, but it isn't true in mine. I play other games that have very entertaining end games. Perhaps you would not enjoy them, but I do. They are not "pointless". They serve the point of entertaining me.

Leveling was entertaining for a time. It doesn't hold the same value to me as it did when I was new and learning the game. Nor do I feel the need to play every new class that comes along. I sure wouldn't enjoy "slow leveling" in DDO yet again. I've already done it. It doesn't add anything to my experience.

What you are also completely neglecting to consider is that DDO did indeed have a fun and engaging end game before. A lot more so than it currently does. TRing didn't even exist until 2009 or so, when the game went f2p. The game started in 2006. For the longest time they kept extending the end game and creating things to do at cap. They still do, but not nearly as much as before.

Face it, you are a better player than you used to be. You have more skill than you had before and simply are not challenged as much as you use to be, especially when you play the game using the really easy powerful builds. Like any game with variable difficulty settings you can choose to play on a harder setting (pure builds, leveling off destinies in EE, etc.) or you can continue to play on the easy setting (because you enjoy being powerful) and complain that the game is not challenging enough. It really doesn't matter which you choose. You are the one playing and you are the one that has to live with your decision.

And it should be pointed out that while running a capped off destiny in EE is purposely gimping yourself, running an uncapped off destiny in EE is simply leveling your character in a challenging environment. The former has no purpose other than to make yourself weaker. The latter has a very specific purpose (earning twists while still being challenged rather than only earning twists in content you find too easy to be fun).
    yes, i have more skill and knowledge than i used to. that's what happens when you play the same game for years. experience will always trump builds. with that knowledge and reading up on the changes to the game, one day you were in a group struggling to complete Proof is in the Poison with divines healing on normal and the next day you can complete the quest with little difficulty solo and a stack of pots on elite. its like that the whole way through the game. quests i wouldn't even think about trying to solo or run on elite one day, the next they get ROFL stomped. anyone who has been playing since 2009 knows this because its pretty obvious or lfms would be more plentiful than they are and there would be less complaints about how hard it is to fill groups.

ive stated this quite a few times that i don't play these preferred builds like Shiradi or any FOTM builds. i pick a build that i think would be fun and make it work. currently my TR is a 5 paladin/4 rogue using Q-staffs. i combined 2 builds into 1 because i have always wanted to play a paladin and an acrobat rogue and decided to blend the 2 to see if i would like it. how far off from these powerful builds is that? i also play a pure human FB barbarian, a helf with barb dilly 18 Tempest ranger/2 fighter and a pure 20 WF kensei fighter. do they sound OP to you?

if you think leveling in off destinies is challenging, than have fun with that. i personally don't think its challenging. i think its poor game design that i have to level in useless off destinies making my character significantly weaker intentionally for the sole purpose of fate points. im playing the designed system but i think it sucks and needs to be re-worked. it makes 0, zilch, nada sense for my barbarian to level through Magister. i want absolutely nothing from that destiny or that sphere for her. the system would be better 10x over if i could stick to the Martial or Primal sphere that makes much more sense. that's where i want to earn my twists from for my barbarian. i have no interest in temporarily making my barbarian be a wanna be caster or wanna be divine, especially when there is nothing in those destinies that would at least contribute 1 iota while i earn xp for fate points. the system is flawed and some of the suggested changes ive seen i may not 100% agree with but at least its better than what the system is now. making it so i still earn the same amount of xp and the same amount of fate points while leveling through destinies that make much more sense for my builds would not affect anyone else who thinks its fun or challenging to play in off destinies and still could do it if they wanted to. suggestions like that is not pushing easy buttons or there is no entitlement issue with it.

in all these pages and all these threads about destinies recently i have not seen 1 person say why it makes sense to level through useless off destinies. not 1. please, someone actually give a good reason why my barbarian should be leveling through Magister for fate points.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Or, if you don't want to do something different, at least stop making blanket statements about how TRing is a "hamster wheel" or that there's no difference in variety comparing 200 quests to a handful. Most of the problem you are seeing isn't with the TRing mechanism, it's with your "I'm in a big rush to get nowhere" approach to playing.
    You're wrong, its the same.
    Want to know why?
    Because most of non-raid quests in this game are exactly the same.

What is the difference between Stopping the Sahuagin, Cannith Crystal and Kobold Assault?
    Lenght, type of mobs (mosly just graphics, as their attacks are very similiar), scenery, and amount of movement players need to do.

What is the difference between Walk the Butcher's Path, Heyton's Rest and Sins of Atrtion?
    Again, lenght, type of mobs (mosly just graphics, as their attacks are very similiar), scenery, and amount of movement players need to do.

Most of dungeons are the same: get in, go forward while autoattacking on your way to victory.

LOL . . . it's just pathetic when the fanbpoi's best answer to a dead end game effectively is "stop playing."

People not playing aren't spending money. This is a business model made of fail.
    Last edited by Teh_Troll; 09-22-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Most of dungeons are the same: get in, go forward while autoattacking on your way to victory.
    But then you get gems like The Pit, Prove Your Worth and Sane Asylum that have puzzles and actually give you the chance to learn how to do the quest.

One of the things that didn't do anything for the replay value of the new expansion is that a lot of the quests have the feeling of just being a dumb beat-down.

Anything that we can do to get more creativity into the quests or multiple paths to success gets my vote.

nm
    Last edited by Thrudh; 09-22-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    I didn't play too much this weekend... Saw the KU football game yesterday, and I just got back from the Royals game today (not often you see a grand-slam in the bottom of the 10th with 2 outs and a 3-2 count!) and next weekend I'm going to the lake and buying a new boat. (Got a great deal at the end of the season). I'll play a couple of hours of DDO tonight, and maybe a few hours this week, but zero next weekend since I'll be boating and grilling and drinking with my wife and friends...

But yeah, I should be jealous of you. The people who play video games 6 hours a day for YEARS... sorry the SAME video game 6 hours a day for YEARS, and can't understand why they are bored. I sure wish I had YOUR life.
    Then why do you bother posting here? Given your extremely casual playtime, you'll have a hard time keeping up with all the stuff turbine has already offered, let alone the new stuff. Right?

So...by extending that logic, if turbine accommodated those who are already out of things to do, then you'd definitely benefit from it too, since you'd really benefit from anything that turbine releases with your amazingly rich and fruitful lifestyle.

Money can't buy skill, and the skilled players are the ones who crave for the most attention from turbine right now.

shoot
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    7 years before? F2P launched Sep 2009. check your math and come back when you are ready to talk again.
    The response worked for the quote being replied to. Sure I could have changed the number to be more exact for the math nerds that inevitably would reply if I didn't but then some of its impact would have been lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Cetus View Post
    Then why do you bother posting here? Given your extremely casual playtime, you'll have a hard time keeping up with all the stuff turbine has already offered, let alone the new stuff. Right?

So...by extending that logic, if turbine accommodated those who are already out of things to do, then you'd definitely benefit from it too, since you'd really benefit from anything that turbine releases with your amazingly rich and fruitful lifestyle.

Money can't buy skill, and the skilled players are the ones who crave for the most attention from turbine right now.

shoot
    Some doth protest too much?

And no end-gamer players DDO for 6 hours a day anymore, there's nothing to do.
    Last edited by Teh_Troll; 09-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Most MMO endgame is PvP which DDO really lacks. It's also grinding out gear, but when the gear is done, what do you do? I don't really care as I see DDO as more of a co-op game than your traditional MMO, but because of the lack of PvP, there really isn't and endgame. "Endgame" in most traditional RPG games is grinding out content to be able to destroy high level bosses, and then you're done. They can't really create endless content, so what are they supposed to do?

I'm not sure myself. Random dungeon generator might be worth looking into though- rewards based on how far you go, and the CRs scaling higher and higher.
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Maelodic - Rockin all the day long
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    You completely miss the point, it's not that it's boring, it's not that it's a challenge playing in an off destiny though it is more challenging at times. It's that the goal in any video game is to grow your character in power either thru character building or thru player skill. Making yourself weaker just to have a challenge shows that the developers did not think things through and design appropriate content, it's a sign of bad design and a massive flaw in the game. The same can be said for many things I've been told recently of play a gimp build, dump con, play perma-death. There is nothing wrong with making a choice to play these ways but having these be the only way to have a challenge is poor poor design.
    As a whole I entirely agree with what you are saying. My issue with it is that all MMO's I have ever seen have been designed badly. Here is the thing, some people want great loot. Some people want the game to be easy. And some people want the game to be challenging. All these people have the right to exist and any game that is well designed (i.e. lacking the bad design and massive flaw that you post about) would enable people to achieve whatever combination of these things they wish. The problem is that the best loot is always tied to the biggest challenges (i.e. the most difficulty content). People that want the game to be easy want the best loot to make the game easier, but they don't want to have to experience the biggest challenges to get it. Single player games understand this and they don't put more powerful weapons exclusively on the harder settings. If you want the best loot and the easiest time you simply play the game on easy. If you want the best loot and the most challenging time you play the game on the hardest setting. But if you want the best loot in an MMO you must play the game on the hardest setting and since the less-skilled players have the right to good loot as much as anyone else this means the most difficult content needs to be accessible to them so they too can get the best loot.

The hardest settings should absolutely be more difficult than they are now, but there should not be anything found in that hard setting that cannot be acquired in an easier setting. No special versions of named loot that can only be found in the hardest setting. No favor that cannot be acquired on an easier setting. The most they should do is give more experience and more chests that contain the same loot that would be found on the easier settings. Then people that want to be challenged can be challenged and people that don't want to be challenged (e.g. people that play MMO's to relax after a stressful day) can play the easier settings and still get the loot they desire. Loot should not be tied to difficulty. As long as it is, the hardest difficulty needs to be easy enough for everyone to play it.

The hardest settings should absolutely be more difficult than they are now, but there should not be anything found in that hard setting that cannot be acquired in an easier setting. No special versions of named loot that can only be found in the hardest setting. No favor that cannot be acquired on an easier setting. The most they should do is give more experience and more chests that contain the same loot that would be found on the easier settings. Then people that want to be challenged can be challenged and people that don't want to be challenged (e.g. people that play MMO's to relax after a stressful day) can play the easier settings and still get the loot they desire. Loot should not be tied to difficulty. As long as it is, the hardest difficulty needs to be easy enough for everyone to play it.
    So in short you want DDO to be Hello Kitty online?

Community Member

You need to take the class called Human Nature 101. Then you'll understand how much this doesn't make sense. More effort/time for the same result? Yeah right, so 2013.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    You need to take the class called Human Nature 101. Then you'll understand how much this doesn't make sense. More effort/time for the same result? Yeah right, so 2013.
    Communism worked really well in Russia . . .

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast