Community Member

Default Armor equipable as a cosmetic?

Hi, this is more of a shout out to the devs to make all armors slot into the cosmetic slot on our character sheet for a better way to customize the look of our toons.

Have you ever had a suit of armor or a robe that just made your character look the part? Ever had to take it off because that item is no longer powerful enough end game? Im going to use my Henshin Monk as an example of this... currently he is level 18 and wearing the Regalia of the Phoenix... a beautiful robe blazing with colors of yellow red and orange... perfect look for something fire based, however come epic levels i know that this robe will become obsolete and i will have to remove it (probably in favor of dragonscale). Don't get me wrong i love the look of dragonscale armor, but this will ruin the look of the character as something majorly fire based.

Ever had a caster that you thought would just look sick in black scale robes rather than blue, but noticed that black scale gives nothing to your caster, and your forced to settle of blue scale and look just like everyone else, or use an armor appearance kit and find that there are none that you really like, or haven't used before?

What i am proposing is that the devs open up the cosmetic armor slot to take any armor in the game, allowing us to use the look of that armor regardless of the actual armor we have on. I would propose that level restrictions remain in place (because what 1st level character would be walking around in dragonscale armor?). The armor in the cosmetic slot should have no impact on actual abilities and should not function as it normally would, just give the look... i know i would love to see my Henshin Monk running around in epic levels still wearing his Regalia of the Phoenix, but not penalized for wearing an item that looks great but is of lower use just because it was created at an earlier stage of the game.

Thanks devs... people please comment if you would like to see this happen... let your voice be heard and have the devs make this a reality

Community Member

Having played many other games where cosmetic slots are pretty common and function just as you described, I was pretty shocked to see this did not exist in this game at all! It's a very basic concept of pretty much all MMO's.

Devs, please add this.

/very much signed

rather useless fluff, no thanks.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

I'm totally for allowing us to use any visible item in the game to make a cosmetic skin.

Those bandit masks are totally cool-lookin'.

They even make half-elves look... good is too strong a word, but you get my drift.

/signed

a lot of good looking armor in the game that is never worn. This could make good use of those armors.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Definitely agree! But I don't think they would. If they in fact did that no one would buy the cosmetic outfits and armor they have in the DDO store. There are very few options and they don't look that good so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I get behind this idea every time it is presented. The swank clothing is few and far between, and I hate when my toons look like they shop at "Bucks Bargain Barn".

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    rather useless fluff, no thanks.
    If you don't care why did you waste time clicking on this thread AND posting?

Definately /signed to the OP...alternatively I'd be fine with a "Blank" cosmetic added to the DDOStore (and treasures/daily dice roll) that you can place any armor in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyC View Post
    Definitely agree! But I don't think they would. If they in fact did that no one would buy the cosmetic outfits and armor they have in the DDO store. There are very few options and they don't look that good so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    first of all, /signed (although I don't think it's an essential feature. make it a VIP-perk, or something)

second, the system being suggested here (armor can be equipped in cosmetic slot) is exactly what Turbine implemented in LotRO, and the cosmetics keep selling nicely in there (apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by A3oN95 View Post
    first of all, /signed (although I don't think it's an essential feature. make it a VIP-perk, or something)

second, the system being suggested here (armor can be equipped in cosmetic slot) is exactly what Turbine implemented in LotRO, and the cosmetics keep selling nicely in there (apparently)
    True but in LOTRO there are a lot of cosmetic options and they, for the most part, are themed and look really good. In DDO the cosmetics are few and look okay at best. If they were to implement that feature they would have to give a lot more options to be able to profit from them. Don't misunderstand me, I'm all for it and would love to be proved wrong but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyC View Post
    Actually in LOTRO they sell tons of cosmetics in the store and at the same time you're able to use ANY in-game armor as cosmetic as well. And people still buy the store ones just to look different.

So I doubt opening up cosmetics slots in this game for any armor would affect store sales at all.

EDIT: oops that's pretty much what the poster above me already said .

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    If you don't care why did you waste time clicking on this thread AND posting?

Definately /signed to the OP...alternatively I'd be fine with a "Blank" cosmetic added to the DDOStore (and treasures/daily dice roll) that you can place any armor in.
    I care, that is why i said no. If you just want support you should post it somewhere else than these forums.

Questioning my reason to post when disagreeing is like taking a poll among the rich if they want more money.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Community Member

Default Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by plagus View Post
    Hi, this is more of a shout out to the devs to make all armors slot into the cosmetic slot on our character sheet for a better way to customize the look of our toons.
    And is anyone else bewildered by the poor range of the currently available cosmetic armours? I'm speaking as someone who has actually paid for a skin, and spent at least an hour trying for a combination that looked even half decent. (I did notice that the ****ty looking ones were the cheapest. Hmm, trying to encourage loose behaviour, eh?)

Turbine, you've done the coding, for just a few. You have the textures - there are plenty of ordinary armour textures out there. Why turn away money from those who want one of the looks you have NOT implemented as a cosmetic?
    www.LegendsGuild.eu - on Thelanis
    Brunhildha (Stroppy healer); Niwareka (Sneaky Ranger); Hiacynthe (Happy Monk); Juss (Hitty Healer); Sharkee (Dirty old Shenanigan); Kawariki (Confused drow wizzy)

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by plagus View Post
    make all armors slot into the cosmetic slot on our character sheet for a better way to customize the look of our toons.
    I was expecting this in the first place, and was astonished when it didn't work that way.

/signed