Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want to build a DEX-Based character

Call it "entranced by the novelty", but I feel like making a warrior who wields his weapon(s) with finesse, not pure bludgeoning might (minus the actual "bludgeon" part) and who can still succeed.

However, I'm not actually sure what class I want to go with for this. Do I go Rogue? Or Ranger? Or perhaps a different class? The sooner I can function the better, of course.

I don't plan to wield scimitars, but would rather much prefer to wield rapiers, or daggers/kukris
    Last edited by Zachski; 09-18-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Paladins got some love! Now for Warpriests...

Rogue (Thief Acrobat & Assassin), Ranger (Tempest Tree), and Monk (Ninja Spy Tree) will allow you to use DEX to hit and for damage.

Ranger Tempest http://ddowiki.com/page/Tempest_enhancements
    - At level 6 you can use DEX for light melee weapons...Scimitars are included in this

Monk Ninja Spy http://ddowiki.com/page/Ninja_Spy_enhancements
    - At level 3 you can use DEX for Piercing and Slashing weapons, if you are centered

Rogue Thief Acrobat http://ddowiki.com/page/Thief-Acrobat_enhancements
    - At level 3 you can use DEX for Staffs

Rogue Assassin http://ddowiki.com/page/Assassin_enhancements
    - At level 3 you can use DEX for Daggers and Kukris

So the big question is, what kind of build do you want

DEX got a pretty decent boost with the Enhancement Pass, so there are some really squirrelly options out there!

I'm currently working on an 8 Fighter/6 Ranger/6 Monk DEX build
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

Hmm, I kinda like the idea of being able to use dex as damage as soon as possible...

I think I might just go with a Rogue Assassin, then.
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Paladins got some love! Now for Warpriests...

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Hmm, I kinda like the idea of being able to use dex as damage as soon as possible...

I think I might just go with a Rogue Assassin, then.
    With Assassin, you'll probably want to focus more on Intelligence so that your Assassinate will work each time; so although you will be able to use DEX to hit and for damage, you will primarily be INT based.
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

& dont forget... if Elvie, u get access to Grace, as well.
    TKSK - Thelanis ("Best Server" -NyTimes).

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

A pure assassin is a killing machine. Check out the link in my sig for an int/dex based assassin if you're looking for some build ideas. It's a 36 pt build with +5 tomes built for EE content but could easily be adapted to an earlier life, lesser tomes, and different content depending on your goals for the character. It should at least give you some things to think about.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Another option could be a staff/bow hybrid, maybe something like 12-13 rogue, 6 monk, 2-3 ranger. Acrobat lets you use dex for staffs, ninja spy lets you use dex for bows. A bit more complicated than an assassin though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    I don't plan to wield scimitars, but would rather much prefer to wield rapiers, or daggers/kukris
    Keep in mind that rapiers are NOT a Light melee weapon, even though they're a Finesse weapon, so you cant use them with the Tempest core. Likewise, you cant be Centered with rapiers, so Ninja Spies cant use DEX-to-dmg for them either.

If you want to dual wield rapiers with a DEX build, you'll either have to go Ranger to take Imp Finesse in the DWS tree (and take the Finesse feat), or go Elven with Aerenal and Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Keep in mind that rapiers are NOT a Light melee weapon, even though they're a Finesse weapon, so you cant use them with the Tempest core. Likewise, you cant be Centered with rapiers, so Ninja Spies cant use DEX-to-dmg for them either.

If you want to dual wield rapiers with a DEX build, you'll either have to go Ranger to take Imp Finesse in the DWS tree (and take the Finesse feat), or go Elven with Aerenal and Grace.
    Or, you could go Fighter 8 for "One with the Blade" (Kensai tree) to become centered with rapiers. And since you would need to take "Keen Edge" as a requirement for "OwtB", you will also expand your crit range

In order to achieve this, you will need to at least be: Fighter 8/Monk 3 and wear robes/outfits to remain centered for the DEX to attack/damage.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post

EDIT: Ninja'd by Myrddinman, although I don't know why you'd need 3 monk, 1 should be sufficient.

Or go 1-6 monk with a minimum of 8 fighter to use light blades (i.e. rapiers) while centered. Balizarde has a crit profile of 13-20 x3 with keen edge from kensai tier 5. Earth stance tier 3, overwhelming crit, and devastating critical from legendary dreadnaught tier 5 each increase the multiplier by 1 on a 19-20 offering up to x6 on a 19-20. Spamming fists of iron gives another +1 threat range and multiplier for some serious crit damage overall.

Since you want to go dex based, you could get a +6 str tome from Mabar to minimize your str investment and still qualify for overwhelming crit.

If going this route, I'd go 8 fighter to use light blades while centered; 9 monk for shadow veil, improved evasion, 10% offhand attacks from deft strikes, and PRR from earth stance; and 3 ranger for another 10% offhand attack. That gives you 100% offhand attacks, great survivability, and some incredible crit damage using dual Balizardes. Enhancements on such a build are very tight so there's not much reason to go more than 3 ranger. Improved evasion from 9 monk is a better value imo.

You could use Carpone's Ric Flair Woo Woo Woo build as a template and modify it based on your goals.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 09-19-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddinman View Post
    Rogue Assassin http://ddowiki.com/page/Assassin_enhancements
    - At level 3 you can use DEX for Daggers and Kukris
    The other big advantage is Knife Specialization, which boosts the crit multiplier on both weapon types and the crit range on daggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Another option could be a staff/bow hybrid, maybe something like 12-13 rogue, 6 monk, 2-3 ranger. Acrobat lets you use dex for staffs, ninja spy lets you use dex for bows. A bit more complicated than an assassin though.
    You'd still want enough STR for at least Power Atk/CL/GC, I think. And if you're going DEX-based, you don't need Bow STR, which makes rgr splash less appealing, unless you want the rgr enhs. But it's an interesting variant on other staff builds, inc. my own.

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    EDIT: Ninja'd by Myrddinman, although I don't know why you'd need 3 monk, 1 should be sufficient.
    The 3 Monk would be for using DEX for damage (1 Monk gives you attack and 3 Monk adds damage). Although, I would advocate for 6 Monk for Shadow Veil, more Dodge, more Fast Movement, extra feat, and AC.

If going this route, I'd go 8 fighter to use light blades while centered; 9 monk for shadow veil, improved evasion, 10% offhand attacks from deft strikes, and PRR from earth stance; and 3 ranger for another 10% offhand attack. That gives you 100% offhand attacks, great survivability, and some incredible crit damage using dual Balizardes. Enhancements on such a build are very tight so there's not much reason to go more than 3 ranger. Improved evasion from 9 monk is a better value imo.
    I'm still sold on the Fighter 8/Monk 6/Ranger 6 build. Improved Evasion is great, but 3 more Ranger levels will grant:
    - Precise Shot- which you'll need for IPS
    - Manyshot for great burst DPS- with Ninja Training II, you can use DEX for Bow damage too
    - ITWF
    - 2nd Favored Enemy
    - Ram's Might- yes, not as useful on a DEX build, but still a stacking +2 to damage

Yes, Enhancements are tight, but I feel you could make it work.

The 3 Monk would be for using DEX for damage (1 Monk gives you attack and 3 Monk adds damage). Although, I would advocate for 6 Monk for Shadow Veil, more Dodge, more Fast Movement, extra feat, and AC.
    Ah, right. I was thinking get dex to damage from improved weapon finesse, but monk 3 works also.

I'm still sold on the Fighter 8/Monk 6/Ranger 6 build. Improved Evasion is great, but 3 more Ranger levels will grant:
    - Precise Shot- which you'll need for IPS
    - Manyshot for great burst DPS- with Ninja Training II, you can use DEX for Bow damage too
    - ITWF
    - 2nd Favored Enemy
    - Ram's Might- yes, not as useful on a DEX build, but still a stacking +2 to damage

Yes, Enhancements are tight, but I feel you could make it work.
    Yeah if going for a ranged option I would recommend 6 ranger as well.

I believe that Deft Strikes currently does not stack with Tempest (not WAI it seems)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5077060

Of course this doesn't mean that you shouldn't build for it...it'll get fixed, right?

I went with a Halfling pure rogue assassin and I am loving it

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Gijo 
    Level 25 True Neutral Halfling Male
    (20 Rogue \ 5 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 265
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 10
    Reflex: 22
    Will: 8

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 25)
    Strength             10                    13
    Dexterity            18                    28
    Constitution         14                    17
    Intelligence         18                    22
    Wisdom                8                    12
    Charisma              8                    12

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 6
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 6
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 10
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 10
    +4 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Intelligence used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14
    +4 Tome of Charisma used at level 14

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 25)
    Balance               8                    38
    Bluff                 3                    30
    Concentration         2                    10
    Diplomacy             3                    30
    Disable Device        8                    36
    Haggle               -1                     8
    Heal                 -1                     8
    Hide                  8                    42
    Intimidate           -1                     8
    Jump                  4                    28
    Listen               -1                    10
    Move Silently         8                    40
    Open Lock             8                    38
    Perform              n/a                    n/a
    Repair                4                    14
    Search                8                    36
    Spot                  3                    30
    Swim                  0                    30
    Tumble                8                    38
    Use Magic Device      3                    31

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Dodge
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Artificer
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Rogue
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Rogue

Level 2 (Rogue)

Level 3 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 4 (Rogue)

Level 5 (Rogue)

Level 6 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 7 (Rogue)

Level 8 (Rogue)

Level 9 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 11 (Rogue)

Level 12 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons

Level 13 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Crippling Strike

Level 14 (Rogue)

Level 15 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Opportunist

Level 17 (Rogue)

Level 18 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Precision

Level 19 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Skill Mastery

Level 20 (Rogue)

Level 21 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Sneak Attack

Level 22 (Rogue)

Level 23 (Rogue)

Level 24 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Sneak of Shadows

Level 25 (Rogue)
    I use mostly daggers, but made some GS Kukris for DR breakers and Triple pos Kukris for undead/res clickies. I put all level ups into dex.

At level 24 I have a 44 dex and a 44 Int. My assassinate dc is 60.

I debated using CThruTheEgo's build and was very tempted by it, but in the end I decided on halfling for the natural dex boost. Like I said, so far i am enjoying it very much.

The tempest enhancements allow you to use dex for damage and hit with any light weapon, but I do not think Rapiers are considered Light weapons
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

I believe that Deft Strikes currently does not stack with Tempest (not WAI it seems)
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5077060

Of course this doesn't mean that you shouldn't build for it...it'll get fixed, right?
    It does stack and is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    The tempest enhancements allow you to use dex for damage and hit with any light weapon, but I do not think Rapiers are considered Light weapons
    Improved weapon finesse from deepwood stalker tier 2 allows you to use dex to damage with any finessable weapon which, if you already get dex to damage with light weapons from tempest, is only rapiers.

Well that's good news

Thanks!

Improved weapon finesse from deepwood stalker tier 2 allows you to use dex to damage with any finessable weapon which, if you already get dex to damage with light weapons from tempest, is only rapiers.

Ah Sweet I had not looked at Dee wood Stalker, but you would still need to have weapon finesse for the "Dex to hit" with Rapiers right?

Thanks for the info
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    you would still need to have weapon finesse for the "Dex to hit" with Rapiers right?
    Yes, improved weapon finesse has the weapon finesse feat as a prereq.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast