Community Member

Default Fighter(2)/Monk(2)/Paladin(16) build

Is this a good split? My plan is to go human wielding long swords with whirling steel strike, evasion, good saves, master or grandmaster forms, self healing at higher levels, and acceptable DPS in Fury or Dreadnought.

Stats:
    Str: 16 base + 3 tome + 6 levels + 3 enhancements + 8 item + 3 exceptional + 5 Primal Scream = 44
    Dex: 16 base + 2 tome + 8 item +2 exceptional = 28
    Con: 14 base + 2 tome + 8 item + 3 exceptional + 5 Primal Scream = 32
    Int: 8 base
    Wis: 10 base + 2 tome + 8 item = 20
    Cha: 12 base + 2 tome + 7 item = 21

Nothing too awesome, I'm concerned the strength will be too low for proper damage in EE, but it'll do just fine in EH which is for 95% of content the highest I run. The dex of 28 gives me a nice +9 to reflex, and another +5 from cha, so I should be able to evade with a resistance item and GH.

Planned break down for feats is as such; I obviously will need the full two weapon fighting line, so 3 feats taken up right away. I need toughness and over whelming crit, so that's 6 more feats. I also need weapon focus: slashing and steel strike, so 2 more. I also need master of forms, which is 2 more, or 3 more if I take grand master. A total of 14 feats.

This means I pretty much have to go human. I get three feats at level 1, and 1 feat at level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21 and 24; I don't include levels higher than 25 since I doubt i'll actually bother with them at the current exp requirement. I also get feats at level 1, 2, 6 and 7 due to when I took my monk/fighter levels. Of my 14 feats, 4 of them(PA, Steel Strike, Cleave and Great Cleave) will come from class levels. I should be able to fit in all of this, provided I plan well.

Level 1: Two Weapon Fighting
    Human: Toughness
    Monk: Power Attack
    Level 2 fighter bonus: Cleave
    Level 3: Weapon Focus: Slashing
    Level 6: Adept of Forms
    Fighter Bonus: Great Cleave
    Level 7 monk bonus: Steel Strike
    Level 9: Imp Crit
    Level 12: ITWFing
    Level 15: GTWFing
    Level 18: Master of Forms
    Level 21: OC
    Level 24: GM of Forms.

My big issue is going to be gear and enhancements: I have no idea where to start other than human heal amp is good, some dodge and sneak attack from ninja spy is good, and the PRR enhancement for earth stance in shintao. Aside from that, I am a total noob.

For gear I'm a little better.

Goggles: Drow Smoke
    Helmet: PDK Helm, eventually Black Dragon Helm
    Necklace: GS +45 hp Displacement/Blurry
    Trinket: +8 con/str planar conflux
    Cloak: +8 dex cloak of resistance +7/+8/whatever
    Belt: +30(Or higher) Life of 100% fort
    Rings: Szind +7 wisdom/Deadly X
    Gloves: PDK
    Boots: EE Treads of Falling Shadow
    Armor: Spider Silk +8 wisdom

I know it's not an optimal gear set, but it should cover everything important. Suggestions to improve are welcome!

I'll bite - why whirling steel strike?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

If you want Zeal, I think monk 6 / pal 14 using short swords (Celestias FTW!) is the best - well, least bad - option. If you can give up Zeal and rely on Rejuv Cocoon, I'm thinking monk 6 / ftr 8 / pal 6 using khops / Deathnips / Mornh / Balizarde (take your pick) is your best bet. Either way, monk 6 gets you Adept of Forms+3rd monk feat and Shadow Veil.

Basically what I'm saying is I think WSS (still) sucks.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    If you want Zeal, I think monk 6 / pal 14 using short swords (Celestias FTW!) is the best - well, least bad - option. If you can give up Zeal and rely on Rejuv Cocoon, I'm thinking monk 6 / ftr 8 / pal 6 using khops / Deathnips / Mornh / Balizarde (take your pick) is your best bet. Either way, monk 6 gets you Adept of Forms+3rd monk feat and Shadow Veil.

Basically what I'm saying is I think WSS (still) sucks.
    Ahhh. Dang. So a short sword ninja build would be better than what I've suggested? My issue is I want to remain centered, but can't figure out how to do so without WSS and long swords. People in game were not helpful. How do I use khopesh or whatever and remain centered?

Quote Originally Posted by Varashad View Post
    Ahhh. Dang. So a short sword ninja build would be better than what I've suggested? My issue is I want to remain centered, but can't figure out how to do so without WSS and long swords. People in game were not helpful. How do I use khopesh or whatever and remain centered?
    t5 kensai enhancement alows you to stay centered while using your kensai special weapon. but that means taking some more fighter levels.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Varashad View Post
    So a short sword ninja build would be better than what I've suggested? My issue is I want to remain centered, but can't figure out how to do so without WSS and long swords. People in game were not helpful. How do I use khopesh or whatever and remain centered?
    If you want a centered melee build using weapons, you have a few options:
    • Ninja using short swords - if you go DEX-based, you want at least monk 3 to apply DEX to dmg. [I wanna make a DEX-based drow monk using SSs+shuriken just for the heck of it.]
    • Whirling Steel Strike works w/any TWF monk combo - though again I still don't think it's worth the two-feat cost vs SSs
    • Quarterstaff - go Henshin for staff bonuses + Acrobat for atk speed bonus
    • Ftr 8+ w/WF/WS/GWF feats opens up One w/Blade (T5 Kensei) which makes you centered w/Kensei Focus weapons. If you wanted khopesh (or b.sword), you'd need Heavy Blades + Exotic Weapon Mastery (T1 Kensei) + weapon prof. feat. [Note that Ninja / Kensei would have the option of going DEX-based with any piercing/slashing weapon.]

So a simple example of what you want is monk 6 / ftr 12: TWF x3, WF/WS/GWF/GWS:Slash, khop. prof., IC:Slash, Power Atk, CL/GC/OC, Master of Forms (assuming Earth stance for +1 crit multiplier). Need to spend at least 32 APs in Kensei to get Keen Edge + One w/Blade; I would also spend at least 11 APs on Ninja for Shadow Veil; and for Earth stance I would pick up Iron Skin (+15 PRR) from Shintao which costs another 11 APs. So that leaves 26 APs to spread as you see fit: racial tree, extra SA from Ninja, more Kensei bonuses, etc.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!