Default Account Wide Spell Component Pouch

I know there's been a lot of ideas for a spell component pouch to store components, the dev's have said in the past that having a spell component pouch like the collectible bags or the like isn't possible, if I recall because the Spell components couldn't be automatically withdrawn from the Pouch

So I was thinking of an alternate idea, instead of a pouch, using something like the Wallet system from LOTRO (for those of you who haven't played it, it contains character cash, Mithril Coints (Astral Shard equivalent) Commendations, Skirmish Marks and Medallions etc. a lot of these are an account wide storage accessible from any Character)

So why not use a similar system for Spell Components, the Pouch could be account wide, so for example if you were on your Paladin and picked up Ranger components, they would go in the pouch and be available for your Ranger when you next played one.

The pouch would significantly save player inventory, make the random pickup of the wrong Spell Component types actually useful, and the pouch could be something that was sold as an upgrade in the DDO store.

Also there's already account wide currency (Astral Shards) so adding a few more shouldn't be impossible.
    Main Forum Account Status: Being Fixed!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I can totally get behind this idea. It's gotten so bad I'm starting to get tempted by that eschew materials feat. Which I know could be an argument against it, as it would pretty much invalicate the feat except for the really diehard penny pinchers, but still. I'd like to see this come into play. : )
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Umm... Would make it too easy to have components, which are the only real limitation for casters atm. So, no i dont like it, even if it would be highly useful. (maybe too useful)
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Sorry thats a truly horrible idea no thank you.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Varinox View Post
    I know there's been a lot of ideas for a spell component pouch to store components, the dev's have said in the past that having a spell component pouch like the collectible bags or the like isn't possible, if I recall because the Spell components couldn't be automatically withdrawn from the Pouch

So I was thinking of an alternate idea, instead of a pouch, using something like the Wallet system from LOTRO (for those of you who haven't played it, it contains character cash, Mithril Coints (Astral Shard equivalent) Commendations, Skirmish Marks and Medallions etc. a lot of these are an account wide storage accessible from any Character)

So why not use a similar system for Spell Components, the Pouch could be account wide, so for example if you were on your Paladin and picked up Ranger components, they would go in the pouch and be available for your Ranger when you next played one.

The pouch would significantly save player inventory, make the random pickup of the wrong Spell Component types actually useful, and the pouch could be something that was sold as an upgrade in the DDO store.

Also there's already account wide currency (Astral Shards) so adding a few more shouldn't be impossible.

Astral shards arent fully account wide I have a bit on my Khyber characters and none elsewhere.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Umm... Would make it too easy to have components, which are the only real limitation for casters atm. So, no i dont like it, even if it would be highly useful. (maybe too useful)
    the real limitation for casters are spell points xd. Spell components are not a limitation.

A shared wallet would be a great idea. Spell components don't worry me, but sharing bta or unbound ingredients (cannith, challenges, events,etc) and store products (cosmetic kits, risia skaters, etc) is a need. And more profitable for turbine too. I don't buy many things because I don't have enough space.
    Last edited by Iriale; 09-19-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    the real limitation for casters are spell points xd. Spell components are not a limitation.

A shared wallet would be a great idea. Spell components don't worry me, but sharing bta or unbound ingredients (cannith, challenges, events,etc) and store products (cosmetic kits, risia skaters, etc) is a need. And more profitable for turbine too. I don't buy many things because I don't have enough space.
    Spellpoints are not a real limitation anymore, thanks to the amount of manapotions available. I wont mention other items that give amna, since most of them are not all that powerful. Besides, you can restore your mana at a shrine, so you have your mana x shrines in actual mana available in every quest, while you only have the components you enter with (unless you buy dust from the store in the middle of a quest)

lol!!! You have less mana potions than components! I never have had poblems with components. I have had problems with spell points. Play a caster! Components take a slot in the inventory, but i always buy 1000 components/lv. You don't spend 1000 components in a quest, nor in a day, nor in a week. I never have 1000 potions lol

components are not a limitation!
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    lol!!! You have less mana potions than components! I never have had poblems with components. I have had problems with spell points. Play a caster! Components take a slot in the inventory, but i always buy 1000 components/lv. You don't spend 1000 components in a quest, nor in a day, nor in a week. I never have 1000 potions lol

components are not a limitation!
    I have never run out of mana in any quest that hasnt gone straight to... well, you know where. Nor have i run out of components, but i have been in several groups where the caster has run out of them. From these to standpoints we can assume that neither is a limitation. Except for the fact that the -9 inventory spots DO limit you somewhat, it seems.

Never had an issue with components. U buy 1000 of each and forget them for a few weeks. They take half of one bag of inventory space. This is unmanageable? What are people carrying? Clean out your bags once in a while..

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    Never had an issue with components. U buy 1000 of each and forget them for a few weeks. They take half of one bag of inventory space. This is unmanageable? What are people carrying? Clean out your bags once in a while..
    Heal scrolls and raise dead scrolls to fix party members, and other mana and or slot (on sorcs and favored soul)-saving scrolls. Various pieces of gear for various situations. Some wands, various potions, etc. etc. There is a lot to carry these days to be prepared, especially in the ever growing 'take care of all your own needs' parties. Which I'm not saying are bad, just that it can require a lot of stuff. Silver flame pots stack for **** too, they take up a lot of slots on toons I use them as an emergency oh #@$# heal.

For some players inventory space is important. For some it's not. But since any 'limitation' as brought up earlier in this thread that can be effectively used in pNp and their normal encumbrance issues is completely overridden by our ability to carry 1,000 of each kind with no encumbrance issue (and no rare ingredients we have to quest for or spend buku gold one, one component fits all of a level!) it's a kind of pointless annoy the player system. I like the wallet idea. Still drains the same plat to buy the components. Can still run out at the same exact point, don't make the stacks bigger. In fact more likely to run out of mid quest servicing more than one caster on an account as people forget to stock more frequently. The only thing this idea would do is level the inventory playing field between casters and non casters.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

The cost on spell components is basically nothing. They are a limitation on spell casting, but since you can hold 1000 at a time in one slot and they cost basically nothing, that's not much of a limitation unless you forget to buy them. The only real purpose they serve, if you can call it a purpose, is an inventory space tax. You need to use up 9 inventory slots in order to cast spells. Any new system that removes the only "purpose" of spell components might as well just remove spell components altogether. I'm not for or against it. Just breaking the system down.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    Heal scrolls and raise dead scrolls to fix party members, and other mana and or slot (on sorcs and favored soul)-saving scrolls. Various pieces of gear for various situations. Some wands, various potions, etc. etc. There is a lot to carry these days to be prepared, especially in the ever growing 'take care of all your own needs' parties. Which I'm not saying are bad, just that it can require a lot of stuff. Silver flame pots stack for **** too, they take up a lot of slots on toons I use them as an emergency oh #@$# heal.
    I get it. Inventory management is a pain. Its usually over-preparing for these hypothetical "emergency" situations that gets ppl in trouble. Most of the people ive known with these swiss-army backpacks cant find anything when they really need it or just forget they're carrying it. Then a week later they say...."remember that big fight?.. I really coulda used that there!! Next time"

I say if u haven't used it in a couple weeks, get rid of it. Life will find a way

Community Member

At first I thought the OP was talking about shared crafting components. Now that is something I could appreciate...

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by kned225 View Post
    I get it. Inventory management is a pain. Its usually over-preparing for these hypothetical "emergency" situations that gets ppl in trouble. Most of the people ive known with these swiss-army backpacks cant find anything when they really need it or just forget they're carrying it. Then a week later they say...."remember that big fight?.. I really coulda used that there!! Next time"

I say if u haven't used it in a couple weeks, get rid of it. Life will find a way
    I have little problems with my inventory, but I know a lot of people that isn't true for. And this idea could really help them. I have 2 to 4 empty bags on ALL my toons, but I run with a group that typically has only 10 to 12 individual slots open. And inventory freelance vs. packrat hoarding behavior is a personal choice, and this is not a game breaking idea that would hurt anyone, but would benefit those that want to save things.

The game should be fun, and for some people inventory space issues really suck away their fun. My artie friend comes to mind on this topic, 6 slots without artie components would probably make him dance for joy, and my wizzie friend who regularly uses eschew so he can have the space and not care about it would also benefit. Personally though, I think I would benefit about twice a year, on one of my healer toons, the time I forgot to restock something. Of course, in practice, I would probably actually be hurt by this and more limited as I'd forget to stock the dang thing and run out all the time. But I don't mind having to learn to remember to help others.

I read the title as "Spell Component Pooch."

I thought, yeah, having a puppy "fetch" what you need for you would be great.

Then I thought, no, necromancers might just use puppies to cast spells.

Sick so-and-sos.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    I read the title as "Spell Component Pooch."

I thought, yeah, having a puppy "fetch" what you need for you would be great.

Then I thought, no, necromancers might just use puppies to cast spells.

Sick so-and-sos.
    KAZ! So mean! Now I totally want a spell component pooch! And it should be a pug for the breed of course. Why do the cutest ides have to be for something no one will ever do????

Introducing to DDO!

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spell_Component_Pouch

Done. And while I love/appreciate/understand the DDO store (and do buy from it frequently), I strongly feel that this item should NOT be a ddo store item. Its not some special amazing thing in pnp, its something we can easily get- and theres zero reason it should be any different for ddo. I agree largely that spell components are little other than an inventory tax for casters- If they could stored readily in some kind of bag, maybe i wouldnt mind so much. But as this isnt the case..

I'd actually shift it slightly.

Make them server wide rather than account wide. Makes things more in line with a lot of other things.

Perhaps add a tool kit as well, for healers kits and thieves tools...