Default Deadly VIII vs Drow Smoke (Manslayer, seeker +6)

The deadly VIII goggles also have a colorless slot on them.

Which is better for a Rogue assassin for overall DPS and why?
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post

The ring of stalker (Cannith challenge item) does about the same and adds a few more features (plus augment slots). And that allows you do get the benefit of deadly AND manslayer.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post

I would probably go with the deadly goggle personally. You already get a vorpal effect from core ability 5 in the assassin tree. This means that manslayer adds an average of 5 damage per hit (actually 100 on a roll of 20) if the mob is above 1000 HP (and nothing if it is below 1000 because your assassin ability would kill it anyways)

It may not even add that I can't remember if the assassin ability is also capped at 1000 HP or not.

It would depend on the crit rate and multiplier of the weapons you use but I doubt +6 seeker is going to add more than the +3 damage that deadly is still ahead by and the deadly damage gets multiplied by crits too.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    I would probably go with the deadly goggle personally. You already get a vorpal effect from core ability 5 in the assassin tree. This means that manslayer adds an average of 5 damage per hit (actually 100 on a roll of 20) if the mob is above 1000 HP (and nothing if it is below 1000 because your assassin ability would kill it anyways)

It may not even add that I can't remember if the assassin ability is also capped at 1000 HP or not.

It would depend on the crit rate and multiplier of the weapons you use but I doubt +6 seeker is going to add more than the +3 damage that deadly is still ahead by and the deadly damage gets multiplied by crits too.
    Thanks for the reply, good information.

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    The ring of stalker (Cannith challenge item) does about the same and adds a few more features (plus augment slots). And that allows you do get the benefit of deadly AND manslayer.

Mmm slots are always good, I already have ghostly elsewhere, do I want to farm the ingredients though? Worth considering.

It's worth dumping something else to have both.

Deadly comes on not just goggles, but headgear, rings and cloaks (I think?)

Additonally Manslayer procs as 100 dmg. on some minor bosses as 100 dmg. but as soon as they drop below the 1k hp threshold that proc changes to *immune*.

Deadly works all the time, Manslayer under specific conditions. I'd go Deadly on Goggle slot and grind a Ring of The Stalker Tier 3. Then you got all. Even moar slots and complementing item slos. Last but notleast Deadly got like, what, 3 common bodyslot options? You don't need to fix Deadly on goggles by default. There i that necklace from Stormhorn chains as well. Deadly + Dodge. Haven't seen that combo yet except on that named necklace.
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 09-18-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Really hard to fit this in with +10 int and Dex gear.

You can get Seeker all over the place now, and I'd certainly rate it less important than Deadly. Even under the best circumstances, you're only critting 1/4 of the time, so 3/4s of your hits are not being benefited by Seeker. ALL of your hits are benefited by Deadly, and Deadly is pre-multiplier on crits, which makes it even more effective. Lastly, Deadly works on Constructs, Undead, and others who are resistant or immune to crits (which makes Seeker useless).

You want both, but if you absolutely had to only choose one, go with Deadly.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.