Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 169
  1. #61
    The Hatchery Scraap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    If they're willing to listen, yes. If not, expect the same thing next year, and plan accordingly. Given how long some of us have been trying to talk them out of this road, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Last edited by Scraap; 09-19-2013 at 12:36 AM.

  2. #62
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    467

    Default

    there seems to be a prevailing assumption that the ash is hurting the game because you can purchase stuff that used to be only available through grinding,either for plat to buy said item or items to trade for item desired

    when in reality alot of people with real world responsibilitys just did without...they didnt have the time to grind for all the gear they wanted so they just got the best that thier limited time and resources allowed

    the ash allows people with limited time but equal love of the game the ability to aqquire items that they probally never would have been able to aquire

    this would logically increase thier enjoyment of the game because now they have items they never thought they could get

    many people get bored and frustrated with grinding and that in itself can make players quit...the whole sour grapes scenario

  3. #63
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    611

    Default

    I refused to buy D3 for a lot of reasons...mainly the lack of pk and switching from a barter based system to a currency based system...they pretty much neutered my two favorite things from D2 out of the franchise, but reasons why d2 economy owned any other game I've ever played...

    It had such randomized gear you would never get a perfect set. I played for 10 years and didn't have a perfect set. If anyone had one, they were hacking. You'd get items that would have multiple mods on it that rolled in a variable range, so rolling mods that range from made 300-400, 10-20, and 50-100, and having them all roll perfect just didn't happen. Basically you always had reason to look for better gear because you could always find better gear...its just the better your gear got the harder it got to improve.

    Gear didn't bind. The above system was only epic because nothing bound at all. You didn't feel like an idiot trading for a weapon that had 358% damage when the one you currently were using had 355% damage because you could trade your old one. It wasn't like you spent a month trying to get an item, then a month later get a second one and the first one is useless and worthless because the second one you got was better and they were both bound. This type of set up also created a massive second hand market which over time allowed new players to get halfway decent gear set ups pretty cheaply and easily.

    Also as mentioned above...switching from barter system to currency system. Under a barter system learning the economy and making good trades becomes essential to getting wealthy. With a currency system its all based upon x hours of grinding yielding x units of currency. In D2 I could accomplish increasing my wealth what I would average in 10 hours worth of farming in one hour of trading if I could make a few good trades in a row. I'd trade extra things I had for things I didn't need or want just because I was up trading during the process, then I'd turn around and try to up trade those. It created a system where trading smart was essentially more beneficial then dumbly grinding. That was a win in my book. DDO kinda has the useless currency thing down, but unfortunately bartering is pretty much dead with bound gear so it doesn't really matter lol.

  4. #64
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrd View Post
    there seems to be a prevailing assumption that the ash is hurting the game because you can purchase stuff that used to be only available through grinding,either for plat to buy said item or items to trade for item desired

    when in reality alot of people with real world responsibilitys just did without...they didnt have the time to grind for all the gear they wanted so they just got the best that thier limited time and resources allowed

    the ash allows people with limited time but equal love of the game the ability to aqquire items that they probally never would have been able to aquire

    this would logically increase thier enjoyment of the game because now they have items they never thought they could get

    many people get bored and frustrated with grinding and that in itself can make players quit...the whole sour grapes scenario
    The thing with a cash auction house is any game where everything worthwhile doesn't bind, cash transactions are taking place. They use to be all over on ebay until ebay banned virtual item transactions. There's all kinds of third party forums and such that deal with these types of things. As much as I think p2w is kind of lame, I can't really blame blizzard for trying to make a little profit on a black market that would have sprung up anyhow. Plus, if I were going to pay cash for items I'd much rather be doing it over an official, legit, and secure system then taking risks on some third party forum. Blizzard just dropped the ball hard with their implementation.

  5. #65
    Community Member LightBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    It has nothing to do with the AH but with the direction marketing have chosen to take the game into.
    The blatant bait & switch plus the double selling of the same thing is what drives players away.
    Changes to game play got some players really upset.

    And if you're looking for lfm's, come to Ghallanda. We have so much action it's ridicules.

    Btw, I like change. It keeps me going forward.
    However I do not like being hustled into things, that's what gives me negative feelings towards the game.
    (Well, at least I still have feelings for the game in that way.)

    One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

  6. #66
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,559

    Default It's plain as day:

    Turbine is far more interested in the condition of their economy than ours. The historical track record of sacrificing long term stability for short term gain is well established and not good.

    Turbine is like the Orien Syndicate doubling their engines.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

  7. #67
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    I have run a couple Storm horn quests, and ZERO wheloon quest so far... I have what I wanted from them already...
    Really? Not even once? But you just said you've run shooters for years without worrying about loot. You haven't even tried the new quests once for fun?

    Thelanis is hitting single digit LFM's at times now, not even necessarily in the wee hours, and not within a level range, not at endgame, THE WHOLE DEAL... which is really depressing considering their are no less than 5 dead bugged LFM's in the panel the last couple days...
    This is not true... Thelanis LFMs are consistently in the 20-30 range during prime-time still... maybe during the wee hours it' single digit. Whenever I throw up a LFM it fills. Don't exaggerate your points. I'm not here saying "Everything is fine!", but I don't like people speaking untruths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  8. #68
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Turbine is like the Orien Syndicate doubling their engines.
    You win metaphor of the day.

  9. #69
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Really? Not even once? But you just said you've run shooters for years without worrying about loot. You haven't even tried the new quests once for fun?
    What is fun about double-spawns, purple-haze, and instant red-alert? Seriously, Wheloon sucks. I mean the quests aren't terrible but the explorer area is so laggy I log off and rage-quit more often than I make it to a quest.

    I do like the Stormhorns, that's the good pack.
    Last edited by Teh_Troll; 09-19-2013 at 08:05 AM.

  10. #70
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrd View Post
    there seems to be a prevailing assumption that the ash is hurting the game because you can purchase stuff that used to be only available through grinding,either for plat to buy said item or items to trade for item desired

    when in reality alot of people with real world responsibilitys just did without...they didnt have the time to grind for all the gear they wanted so they just got the best that thier limited time and resources allowed

    the ash allows people with limited time but equal love of the game the ability to aqquire items that they probally never would have been able to aquire

    this would logically increase thier enjoyment of the game because now they have items they never thought they could get

    many people get bored and frustrated with grinding and that in itself can make players quit...the whole sour grapes scenario
    Yeah, I don't think the problem is the ASAH.... I think the problem is no new raid, and new random loot that far out-classes much of the older named loot. The devs were stupid to jump to +10 and +11 stats when all of the power-gamers would have been happy to grind for +9 named stuff, which also would kept the old +8 items in play.

    And they added +10 protection, +10 resistance, +10 natural armor, new deception, and DIDN'T UPGRADE ANY OF THE OLD ITEMS.

    That's how they broke the game. Make an item pass on the old stuff, give us ways to upgrade it (heroic comms dropping from all raids?) and keep the old loot semi-relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  11. #71
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    That's how they broke the game. Make an item pass on the old stuff, give us ways to upgrade it (heroic comms dropping from all raids?) and keep the old loot semi-relevant.
    Step 1: Heroic comm upgrades to make GH helms level 28 and +10.
    Step 2: I think that might be good enough.

  12. #72
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    What is fun about double-spawns, purple-haze, and instant red-alert? Seriously, Wheloon sucks.
    But you played it once to find that out, right? I can't imagine a old powergamer vet passing up on a chance to do something NEW... I'm not inclined to listen to someone who doesn't even really play the game anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  13. #73
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    That's how they broke the game. Make an item pass on the old stuff, give us ways to upgrade it (heroic comms dropping from all raids?) and keep the old loot semi-relevant.
    Wait, aren't you captain of the fanboi squad?
    Or am I confusing peoples names again...?

  14. #74
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    5,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Wait, aren't you captain of the fanboi squad?
    Or am I confusing peoples names again...?
    Fanbois exist only in the minds of doombois
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  15. #75
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Fanbois exist only in the minds of doombois
    Does that imply I'm a doomboi?
    Because in all honesty, I don't have much to complain about. Lag, few bugs (I balance that with an extremely abusable one though), shadowfails named loot, the shadowfell effect.. not much tbh.
    Quite happy, all in all. (I can just TR to ignore shadowfail until next pack. Always got more lives to get.)

  16. #76
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    But you played it once to find that out, right? I can't imagine a old powergamer vet passing up on a chance to do something NEW... I'm not inclined to listen to someone who doesn't even really play the game anymore.
    On EE the first night, yes. I think I've done the Wheloon quests 1-3 times total.

    The XP sucks, I pulled my +11 Wisdom goggles already, the explorer area lags out more often than it doesn't. It's on my no-fly list until they get that fixed.

  17. #77
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    Fanbois exist only in the minds of doombois
    I'm a d000mman thank you very much.

  18. #78
    Community Member bartharok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Far beyond the ravens gate
    Posts
    5,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I'm a d000mman thank you very much.
    I thought you were a troll?
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

  19. #79
    Community Member Soulfurnace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    I thought you were a troll?
    Teh_d000mman_Troll.

  20. #80
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    But you played it once to find that out, right? I can't imagine a old powergamer vet passing up on a chance to do something NEW... I'm not inclined to listen to someone who doesn't even really play the game anymore.
    You say this, but then fully support Turbine making it so no one needs to play the game anymore, to obtain the gear they desire. Youre not inclined to listen to the result of that which you fully support - people not playing the game to get what they want, because it can be had far easier by exchanging shards for it.

    And yet again, Turbine designs more quests where mob spawns severely violate the thresholds set for DA - something youve also denied in the past. Its like DA penalties are simply arbitrarily incorporated into the design nowdays for difficulty purposes. They come out and say that X# of active mobs causes lag in dungeons, then design quests for years and years after they say this, which spawn x+10 mobs. Do they want the game to intentionally lag?
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload