Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 169
  1. #141
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    25,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Any rational person will see that this is not what 5% of the population, the Forum-goes, may or may not want.

    What the other 95% want, only Turbine may know.
    The issue is Turbine doesnt even know, because if they did the current expasion wouldnt have less quests then the last expansion and no raid. Im pretty sure if they surveyed the entire game population the end result wouldnt be that the population wants minimal new content and nothing to do at cap.

  2. #142
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Empty MMO's don't keep new MMO players around for long. If you are happy to solo a poor single player RPG that used to be an MMO I'm not interested in arguing with you.

    For starters you don't have good taste in single player RPG's and you also seem to be curiously unaware (or willfully ignoring) that an MMO is designed to be a sociable game. If I am wrong to want a healthy game to play, and you are right that only Solo'ers matter then I don't want to be a part of the game you seem to feel you're entitled to. While you're entitled to PLAY the game any way you want, even as a poor single player experience. I don't think it's reasonable for you to hang out on a MMO forum and tell people they are wrong for wanting an MMO to have people to play with.



    You realize that in your glee to backslap with someone who also can "see no evil, hear no evil" that Jalont is apparently one of those solo'ers you're chiding?

    Not sure who the rest of that was aimed at. Though I found trying to explain away scientifically measurable statistical losses as "5% of the forums aren't liked on their server so every time they join and look at the lfm panel all the server takes their LFM's down" bit pretty amusing.
    I am not entitled to any game. It's simply the way it is. People would rather group with friends and guildies than run with unknowns. I don't know what to tell you. If DDO players wanted to PUG, they would. If there's not enough people here to support the way you like to play the game, then by all means, leave. I don't know what you think is going to happen. It's like you think one day everyone's going to wake up and say, "hey, this pugging thing is awesome! Why aren't I doing that?" Do you really think that's realistic? Do you really think that's ever going to happen? Trying to change this mindset is pointless, and Turbine shouldn't fight it. They should embrace it and design around it. Turbine is never going to one day remove guilds, chanells, friend lists, and the ability to send /tells because not enough unknown people want to run content with you.

  3. #143
    Community Member IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,308

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Any rational person will see that this is not what 5% of the population, the Forum-goes, may or may not want.

    What the other 95% want, only Turbine may know.
    Hi only you are talking about 5% on the forums (a meaningless guesstimate in and of itself). I am talking about cold hard statistical reality in the login activity, and the apparent lack of popularity of the expansion pack as evidenced by the fact that no ones playing it, at least no one that's here for "MM" as oppose to the O which apparently stands for sOlo.

    The player base spoke loud and clear when a warmed over pack that had a raid generated far more player activity than a much larger expansion pack that didn't contain a raid.

    You can ignore this (and obviously you have repeatedly), but ignoring something doesn't make it go away.

    Can we get back to a productive discussion? Instead of talking about wether DDO can be improved by taking BtcoE loot off the AH or not, we're mired in arguments with the same 3 people who refuse to accept that anything at all is wrong.
    If there's nothing wrong; how about you three ignore us "loons" and let us be so we can talk our crazy talk amongst ourselves and discuss solutions to the attrition problem (that doesn't exist). After all if we're only 5% here what harm can it do, it not like 95% of the player base is paying attention... there's all obviously solo'ing the expansion pack quests by themselves in the hundreds of thousands (or at least tens of dozens!)

  4. #144
    Community Member IronClan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    I am not entitled to any game. It's simply the way it is. People would rather group with friends and guildies than run with unknowns. I don't know what to tell you. If DDO players wanted to PUG, they would. If there's not enough people here to support the way you like to play the game, then by all means, leave. I don't know what you think is going to happen. It's like you think one day everyone's going to wake up and say, "hey, this pugging thing is awesome! Why aren't I doing that?" Do you really think that's realistic? Do you really think that's ever going to happen? Trying to change this mindset is pointless, and Turbine shouldn't fight it. They should embrace it and design around it. Turbine is never going to one day remove guilds, chanells, friend lists, and the ability to send /tells because not enough unknown people want to run content with you.
    You do realize that the pug scene was booming during eGH right? and also during MOTU? Both had raids? Also possibly before your time, back when end game was 20th level and there was no epic sellable loot there was no where NEAR the drop off in players or LFM's that there are these days? (this was not that long ago either a little over a year since MOTU)

    You've got a narrative going that is just.... no... "everyone's soling suddenly that's the new way, so get used to it and stop proposing changes and stop being unhappy with the declining PUG scene" I don't agree with your narrative, in fact it seems offensively simplistic. Even were it true it's still the death nell of a game that's supposed to be "MM". As a game where everyone is solo'ing is going to dry up when new players see an empty ghost town and leave right away. Go jump on Wayfinder and tell me you feel like leveling to 2nd level LOL oh you're a solo'er never mind you're probably already on Wayfinder; an empty ghost town of a game is what you want. But then if that's so, why isn't wayfinder instantly the new hot server in terms of logins? With a perma 10% XP bonus for people who could care less about other players to play with? If solo'ing was this new hot thing everyone is doing why is wayfinder only getting a trickle of new logins? Sorry your narrative doesn't line up. Unless you have hard numbers I'm going to ignore further attempts float this solo hypothesis.

    It seems far more probable that people get their fill of loot quickly because they can buy it, and then they go away. This is supported by the data we DO HAVE. Login activity. As well as that observed in another multiplayer game, and the conclusion that developer reached to fix the problem.
    Last edited by IronClan; 09-20-2013 at 07:09 PM.

  5. #145
    Community Member bsquishwizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Don't act like zerger's have a monopoly on this, if I pug heavily for the day it is guaranteed I will get someone that ignores the comments then complains about it. I put up my lfms as byoh, zerg, ip. Once per day I will get someone that doesn't have any potions for healing or status effects and can't heal, or a guy that starts screaming into the mic "omg you left the archers alive why aren't you killing them, come back here and help me NAOW!!!"

    Do zergers sometimes get into a flower sniffer group and zerg? Yes but flowersniffers don't even have the good grace to label their groups, I label mine as what they are and still get casuals that can't heal and won't zerg joining mine.
    You average new player is not going to know what the term "zerg" means (I sure didn't know it when I was a new player here). You can't expect someone who is new to know all of the terminology because they are, by definition, new.

    So zergers have a responsibility to label their groups. New players do not, and it should be tolerated. If you assume that your toddler is going to know how and when to use the toilet, it ends up being your fault when he or she craps on your floor.

  6. #146
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Hi only you are talking about 5% on the forums (a meaningless guesstimate in and of itself). I am talking about cold hard statistical reality in the login activity, and the apparent lack of popularity of the expansion pack as evidenced by the fact that no ones playing it, at least no one that's here for "MM" as oppose to the O which apparently stands for sOlo.

    The player base spoke loud and clear when a warmed over pack that had a raid generated far more player activity than a much larger expansion pack that didn't contain a raid.

    You can ignore this (and obviously you have repeatedly), but ignoring something doesn't make it go away.

    Can we get back to a productive discussion? Instead of talking about wether DDO can be improved by taking BtcoE loot off the AH or not, we're mired in arguments with the same 3 people who refuse to accept that anything at all is wrong.
    If there's nothing wrong; how about you three ignore us "loons" and let us be so we can talk our crazy talk amongst ourselves and discuss solutions to the attrition problem (that doesn't exist). After all if we're only 5% here what harm can it do, it not like 95% of the player base is paying attention... there's all obviously solo'ing the expansion pack quests by themselves in the hundreds of thousands (or at least tens of dozens!)
    It's funny you should say that, because I do ignore the loons, in game. I don't hit the LFM panel looking for a group to run a quest, I hit the guild. If nothings going on in one level range, but something is going on in another, I'll swap out and join that level range. If nothing's going on, I'll solo. It's preferable to having a soul stone in my pack telling me how bad my build is because I didn't do what they did. You want to know what's wrong with the pugging scene, consider that. I love joining a BYOH group on my FvS and then being cussed out for 30 minutes because I didn't heal somebody that was 2 rooms ahead. Gee, wonder why I didn't heal them, and, since they were PL, I wonder why they didn't BYOH? Sorry to disappoint, but I spent 5 hours today in a group that never saw the LFM panel. This is not the first time, nor the last time that something similar will happen. What do I need to PuG for, when I can just group up with some guildies and have some fun?

    Concerning raids, I have run ToR about a thousand times, but never set foot in the raid. I don't need the drama. I've run Chrono quite a few times, at level and otherwise, and we put together a raid for Cannith a couple of weeks ago, mostly for mats, I guess, it was the guild leader's idea, but I frankly don't care about raids, one way or the other. I wouldn't care if they never added another one, since I don't often avail myself of the ones that are already in. I realize you think I'm in the minority, but if that were truly the case, why are the lack of raid groups an issue you're noticing? Is it because nobody's running them? Are they not running them because they have everything they want from it? Or is there maybe some other reason for it? Seriously, I don't know. I know my guild has taken to setting up a raid about once a week, but if we don't get the participation, we just don't go. No big deal.

  7. #147
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    Hi only you are talking about 5% on the forums (a meaningless guesstimate in and of itself). I am talking about cold hard statistical reality in the login activity, and the apparent lack of popularity of the expansion pack as evidenced by the fact that no ones playing it, at least no one that's here for "MM" as oppose to the O which apparently stands for sOlo.
    Except that came from a Turbine official, you know, the people that KNOW the cold hard statistical reality.


    You want to talk reality and claim fact that no one is playing the new pack? Maybe you aren't, except by yourself. Maybe you want to think others are not because you may not like it.

    Now go back to your solo zerg fest for XP, your dropping your XP/min ratio.

    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  8. #148
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    It's funny you should say that, because I do ignore the loons, in game. I don't hit the LFM panel looking for a group to run a quest, I hit the guild. If nothings going on in one level range, but something is going on in another, I'll swap out and join that level range. If nothing's going on, I'll solo. It's preferable to having a soul stone in my pack telling me how bad my build is because I didn't do what they did. You want to know what's wrong with the pugging scene, consider that. I love joining a BYOH group on my FvS and then being cussed out for 30 minutes because I didn't heal somebody that was 2 rooms ahead. Gee, wonder why I didn't heal them, and, since they were PL, I wonder why they didn't BYOH? Sorry to disappoint, but I spent 5 hours today in a group that never saw the LFM panel. This is not the first time, nor the last time that something similar will happen. What do I need to PuG for, when I can just group up with some guildies and have some fun?

    Concerning raids, I have run ToR about a thousand times, but never set foot in the raid. I don't need the drama. I've run Chrono quite a few times, at level and otherwise, and we put together a raid for Cannith a couple of weeks ago, mostly for mats, I guess, it was the guild leader's idea, but I frankly don't care about raids, one way or the other. I wouldn't care if they never added another one, since I don't often avail myself of the ones that are already in. I realize you think I'm in the minority, but if that were truly the case, why are the lack of raid groups an issue you're noticing? Is it because nobody's running them? Are they not running them because they have everything they want from it? Or is there maybe some other reason for it? Seriously, I don't know. I know my guild has taken to setting up a raid about once a week, but if we don't get the participation, we just don't go. No big deal.
    See, the loons on the forums want to tell you you are doing it wrong. Your not sitting there waiting for someone to put up a LFM for a quest that they want to do then coming here complaining about no LFMs.

    Why do these loons not have any friends or guildmates to run quests with each and every day? Going by how they post, that answer is very clear.

    I myself also just spent the past 6.5 hours questing in full groups non-stop and *gasp* even did three whole Raids.

    People are questing/raiding every day - they are doing it with friends, family, and guildmates. Why go all pugtard when you have that group to run with all the time?

    It's the pugtards that are having the hard time finding groups - wonder why?

    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  9. #149
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,413

    Default

    I have an idea. why don't we get the devs to free up code space and dismantle the lfm. seems to me that everyone knows each other and only wants to play with people they know. everyone must be in a good guild and a full friends list to rely on. that's where all the players are, hidden in secret and excluding each other but yet still grouping with each other somehow. the game is really active running quests and raiding all the time even though its all done by back doors and alleyways.

  10. #150
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    I have an idea. why don't we get the devs to free up code space and dismantle the lfm. seems to me that everyone knows each other and only wants to play with people they know. everyone must be in a good guild and a full friends list to rely on. that's where all the players are, hidden in secret and excluding each other but yet still grouping with each other somehow. the game is really active running quests and raiding all the time even though its all done by back doors and alleyways.
    I think that this is what people are missing, every game has people that run guild/channel/friends list only, healthy games however have people pugging as well on a regular basis which allows new players that aren't guilded and returning players that aren't guilded to jump in and play. DDO's pug status lately is a sign of a non-healthy game, if the game was this way when I started ddo would not have gotten any of my money and this kind of effect should have warning bells going off in turbine hq.

    Before anyone starts off on me, I don't have problems filling groups for my self but I'm not new and can fill from guild and channel, that doesn't mean the game is healthy.

  11. #151
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Orien
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I find it very hard to believe any of these quests were actually play-tested on a server with DA enabled. it is painfully obvious something is broken to anyone with eyes.

    And why isn't their more talk about the double-spawns in quests? It hysterical at times.
    One possible reason is the following:

    Troll, I have no idea what you're talking about here. I've spent hours and hours in Wheloon wilderness, and I have had very little lag -- certainly no more than anywhere else. The Shadowfell effect has not given me any obvious lag increases. I know you don't like the visual effect, but that's a matter of opinion rather than a technical issue, and I personally have no problem with it.

    I've also not run into any double-spawns in quests or instant red alerts. That may be because I haven't run the quests much, I don't know. But another possibility, which would explain the lack of discussion about it, is...

    ...maybe most people aren't having these problems?

  12. #152
    Community Member Ashlayna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I think that this is what people are missing, every game has people that run guild/channel/friends list only, healthy games however have people pugging as well on a regular basis which allows new players that aren't guilded and returning players that aren't guilded to jump in and play. DDO's pug status lately is a sign of a non-healthy game, if the game was this way when I started ddo would not have gotten any of my money and this kind of effect should have warning bells going off in turbine hq.

    Before anyone starts off on me, I don't have problems filling groups for my self but I'm not new and can fill from guild and channel, that doesn't mean the game is healthy.
    Conversely, it doesn't mean it's not either. My 5 hour group yesterday had 2 new players in it. We have officers that patrol the Harbor/Market Place and talk to new players and extend guild invites to those that want them. I have 2 accounts, with characters from 7 to I'm almost back to 20, again, so I can log in something pretty close to level appropriate for a new player to help them along, if needed, and guild chat is frequently abuzz with "How do I XXX", with answers forthcoming. Using the LFM panel, with the way some of the groups run there, isn't a viable way to measure the health of the game. Sure, I can keep up with the "BYOH, zerg, ip" idea, but a new player is likely not going to be able to, even if they thought they could, and then they're "a scrub", or lashed out at in other ways for "costing me 10%". Is this the pug scene that's supposed to reflect the "health" of the game? Because, quite frankly, it's more likely that those players are either going to quit pugging, or quit playing, thinking that everyone in the game is now some sort of elitist ******.

  13. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    I think that this is what people are missing, every game has people that run guild/channel/friends list only, healthy games however have people pugging as well on a regular basis which allows new players that aren't guilded and returning players that aren't guilded to jump in and play.
    Very true. However, remember it's Turbine's own changes of coding over the last few years which allowed puggers the ability to solo so much of the game all by themselves. So.. they do, or at least try to, then get bored.

    Some prefer the randomness of the pug scene... but many more get frustrated and quit. As soon as the healing hirelings entered the scene, the pug world was never the same. Heck even I will get them to help solo at times. The difference of course is I have a rock solid guild and rock solid channel I can tap whenever I'd like to.

    Is DDO healthy? Relatively, I think it is amongst the many that seek out a good guild or group to run with. I think its also fun for those who enjoy the randomness of the pug scene. But since hirelings that heal arent going anywhere... nor are all the healing options available in game now, and with the greatest LFM system in MMOs going, I think the game will be just fine. Guild leaders need to use the forums here, and in game areas to promote.

    D&D, and in fact DDO as well, is much more fun with other people. Turbine has other fish to fry right now. The pug scene can be improved indirectly... by fixing bugs and adding new content with more depth, including raids.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 09-21-2013 at 07:54 AM.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  14. #154
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    25,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arlannis View Post
    One possible reason is the following:

    Troll, I have no idea what you're talking about here. I've spent hours and hours in Wheloon wilderness, and I have had very little lag -- certainly no more than anywhere else. The Shadowfell effect has not given me any obvious lag increases. I know you don't like the visual effect, but that's a matter of opinion rather than a technical issue, and I personally have no problem with it.

    I've also not run into any double-spawns in quests or instant red alerts. That may be because I haven't run the quests much, I don't know. But another possibility, which would explain the lack of discussion about it, is...

    ...maybe most people aren't having these problems?
    Run those quests on elite. The sheer level of numbers of mobs you fight PER ENCOUNTER is triggering DA. Turbine has been building quests which trigger DA on a per encounter mob spawn basis for years now, and its very contradictory to their plan of wanting to curtail lag, since they told us lag is a direct result of too many active mobs.

  15. #155
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You do realize that the pug scene was booming during eGH right? and also during MOTU? Both had raids? Also possibly before your time, back when end game was 20th level and there was no epic sellable loot there was no where NEAR the drop off in players or LFM's that there are these days? (this was not that long ago either a little over a year since MOTU)

    You've got a narrative going that is just.... no... "everyone's soling suddenly that's the new way, so get used to it and stop proposing changes and stop being unhappy with the declining PUG scene" I don't agree with your narrative, in fact it seems offensively simplistic. Even were it true it's still the death nell of a game that's supposed to be "MM". As a game where everyone is solo'ing is going to dry up when new players see an empty ghost town and leave right away. Go jump on Wayfinder and tell me you feel like leveling to 2nd level LOL oh you're a solo'er never mind you're probably already on Wayfinder; an empty ghost town of a game is what you want. But then if that's so, why isn't wayfinder instantly the new hot server in terms of logins? With a perma 10% XP bonus for people who could care less about other players to play with? If solo'ing was this new hot thing everyone is doing why is wayfinder only getting a trickle of new logins? Sorry your narrative doesn't line up. Unless you have hard numbers I'm going to ignore further attempts float this solo hypothesis.

    It seems far more probable that people get their fill of loot quickly because they can buy it, and then they go away. This is supported by the data we DO HAVE. Login activity. As well as that observed in another multiplayer game, and the conclusion that developer reached to fix the problem.
    I've been here longer than you have, so feel free to cut the "before you were here stuff". Secondly, your point only stands if the server populations weren't high. That isn't what is happening. Server population remains high, but only a small percentage is choosing to pug. This should tell you something. What is the rest of the population doing? If they wanted to pug, why aren't they? If you post an LFM and it doesn't fill, why is that, if all these people wish to PUG? I just don't get it.

    Further, perhaps you should come to Ghallanda. 67 PUGS last night. And several superguilds with 100s of players on at all times.

  16. #156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Run those quests on elite. The sheer level of numbers of mobs you fight PER ENCOUNTER is triggering DA. Turbine has been building quests which trigger DA on a per encounter mob spawn basis for years now, and its very contradictory to their plan of wanting to curtail lag...
    That's working as intended for the most part (it definitely has its quirks though). Dungeon alert was created to reduce occurrences of people zerging past mobs the developers want us to fight. The benefit of reducing zerging is naturally less lag, as there are less active mobs on the board. Their master plan for DA was clear.. to attempt to stop zergers from blowing through large swaths of mobs just to farm loot and xp. The results are less lag and better coop play. On some elite difficulty settings they should try to expand the DA timers --- but I wouldnt be holding my breath on that happening
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 09-21-2013 at 08:55 AM.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  17. #157
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    When they open a quarterly spreadsheet it looks great, but when they see what happens a few years down the road when the game is now saturated with loot no one wants to pay for any more, they realized they fell into the trap of short term profits. Their options if they werent backing off the RL$ AH would be to saturate the game with more power creep, which invalidates old loot people paid for, and then hope that the same folks who paid for it the first time will pay for the new loot, right after they invalidated that old loot they previously paid for.

    Sound familiar? Yeap, it does.
    Yes it does, it sounds like what I tried to explain to you before about invalidating raid loot with loot-gen, and how that will hurt the long term attraction of DDO and the game as a whole.

    It seems you understand the fault here, regardless of personal views, the villain it is not what you call "pay to win" as you call it, the real problem that is hurting DDO right now is very poorly implemented power creep.

    I have said it before, and I'll say it again, you can't disrespect the effort your longer standing players put in and still expect the game to thrive.

  18. #158
    Community Member Ungood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    I've been here longer than you have, so feel free to cut the "before you were here stuff". Secondly, your point only stands if the server populations weren't high. That isn't what is happening. Server population remains high
    Eh? what dream land you living in, Server activity is half what it was last year, that means it is in constant decline, which is the polar opposite of "remains high"

    Now, if server activity had 'remained high' you might have a point, but, because the server activity is in decline tapering down to half what it was a year ago, that means there are "less players" not "more solo-ers"

    Just saying.

  19. #159
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    That's working as intended for the most part (it definitely has its quirks though). Dungeon alert was created to reduce occurrences of people zerging past mobs the developers want us to fight. The benefit of reducing zerging is naturally less lag, as there are less active mobs on the board. Their master plan for DA was clear.. to attempt to stop zergers from blowing through large swaths of mobs just to farm loot and xp. The results are less lag and better coop play. On some elite difficulty settings they should try to expand the DA timers --- but I wouldnt be holding my breath on that happening
    It's not that there are more mobs on elite, it's that if you go in with 4-6 people eh gets you to an instant orange alert in some boss fights and ee gets you to an instant red alert. It's difficulty combining with scaling jumping you from clear to red even if you've killed every single mob in the dungeon up to that point. I get the point of da, the problem is right now if you run in ee with a full party it doesn't matter if you zerg or not you get red da when mobs spawn.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Very true. However, remember it's Turbine's own changes of coding over the last few years which allowed puggers the ability to solo so much of the game all by themselves. So.. they do, or at least try to, then get bored.

    Some prefer the randomness of the pug scene... but many more get frustrated and quit. As soon as the healing hirelings entered the scene, the pug world was never the same. Heck even I will get them to help solo at times. The difference of course is I have a rock solid guild and rock solid channel I can tap whenever I'd like to.

    Is DDO healthy? Relatively, I think it is amongst the many that seek out a good guild or group to run with. I think its also fun for those who enjoy the randomness of the pug scene. But since hirelings that heal arent going anywhere... nor are all the healing options available in game now, and with the greatest LFM system in MMOs going, I think the game will be just fine. Guild leaders need to use the forums here, and in game areas to promote.

    D&D, and in fact DDO as well, is much more fun with other people. Turbine has other fish to fry right now. The pug scene can be improved indirectly... by fixing bugs and adding new content with more depth, including raids.
    Yeah ddo isn't a terminal patient or anything right now overall, however to me it looks like the 300lbs 45 year old chain smoker, nothing is wrong yet but it's got some bad things going on that need to be fixed before things go very wrong. I see a lot of sources of the problem, the switch to an xp grind for an endgame with ed's being part of it, removal of the timesink of getting epic loot being another, many of the endgame decisions they've made in the past year year and a half seem designed to make short term money at the cost of long term health.

  20. #160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    It's difficulty combining with scaling jumping you from clear to red even if you've killed every single mob in the dungeon up to that point. I get the point of da, the problem is right now if you run in ee with a full party it doesn't matter if you zerg or not you get red da when mobs spawn.
    Exactly. One fix could be to loosen the DA sensor in EE dungeons. Personally, I think the best fix would be to cancel the DA automagically during the major fights and the end fight as long as mobs behind the fight are dead or below a certain percentage, say 10%.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload