Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by anivaj View Post
    Nope 10 sorc, then all ten PL levels. You want the fireball as soon as possible, and if you play a sorc right, you will never need a weapon. You can get the burning hands AND acid spray SLAs maxxed quickly, and if you take empower and maximize ASAP, you can do some serious damage with them for low sp.
    Ah. See there's the problem: I can't play a sorc right, lol. I have just never been able to get the hang of casters. That blue bar runs dry after the first fight and then I am just a giant pile of failure. I feel like Klin Steagen whenever I try to play a pure caster...

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    Ah. See there's the problem: I can't play a sorc right, lol. I have just never been able to get the hang of casters. That blue bar runs dry after the first fight and then I am just a giant pile of failure. I feel like Klin Steagen whenever I try to play a pure caster...
    That is the beauty of sorcs...maximized and empowered SLAs leave tons of sp to spare. By level 12, you can cycle between scorch and fireball SLAs, while throwing in an unmetaed fireball. With an archmagi item (+400 sp), you honestly never run out of sp.
    Cannith - Sorrion - Glassbones - Galodon - Farsnipe
    Sarlona - Glassbones

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    Well, it might seem sort of pointless I agree. But so is UMD if you have a character that can use heal scrolls without it. And, the idea is to benefit from both a high healing amp and a level appropriate devotion item.

But, like I say, it is just an idea and it might not apply depending on build choices. And, of course, everyone has different ways they like to go about things -- so it certainly would not be for every player.
    UMD is far from made useless by having a character that can scroll without it...so much UMD than heal scrolls

honestly if your going Helf for dilly take rogue for sneak attack or Paly for saves instead of wasting it on scroll healing which is easy enough with UMD

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    UMD is far from made useless by having a character that can scroll without it...so much UMD than heal scrolls

honestly if your going Helf for dilly take rogue for sneak attack or Paly for saves instead of wasting it on scroll healing which is easy enough with UMD
    Oh paladin for saves could be fun... use it on a monk-splash build with evasion, you could just stand around in traps and laugh and laugh and laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Because the OP was talking about WF.

Even still, I wouldn't go Half Elf w/ a dilettante for scroll healing myself. Rogue or Paladin maybe, but never cleric. You'll still want UMD on a multi-TR, so you may as well optimize.
    I don't know about you, but it looked like he was considering going fleshie in the OP.

Half Elf cleric dillie is excellent for levelling. Once you get UMD high enough, you free swap to rogue or pali. It just makes sense. And for the race to 20 for turnaround, that is an excellent way to solo.

Most melee are not hitting 95% heal scrolls at 15 without gear investment at least or arti or rogue splash.

In keeping with the thread name "cheats":

If you have money:

Rich: Otto's Boxes.

Have SOME money:

2 builds I used to get to completionist(pre-U19):

Helf 9monk/6 fighter/3 whatever(the last two levels were always held at 18 until cap)- Cleric dillie for heal scrolls until UMD high enough. LR +5 for past life. Save gear/handwraps for next life. Monk is fast gets you where you need to go. Improved Evasion. Stun and gun.

WF 14sorc/1barb/3 whatever(the last two levels were always held at 18 until cap) - Earth Savant until Vale than Water swap. LR +5 for past life. Use Carnifex at low levels to give your sp a rest.-This build/cheat is fairly obsolete since it take 2 levels of Barb now for sprint boost.

Hardly any money but can get Helf:

Helf 6monk/6fighter/6 whatever (the last two levels were always held at 18 until cap) - Cleric dillie for scrolls until UMD high enough then swap to Rogue or Paladin for free. Save gear/handwraps for next life.
    Last edited by Sonos; 09-19-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    I don't know about you, but it looked like he was considering going fleshie in the OP.
    OP here: yes, going fleshie next life and beyond. Warforged for the final life but that's a ways off.

Rich: Otto's Boxes.
    They did a points sale the other day, then brought back otto's box today... sitting here staring at 15,000 points and the DDO store and trying desperately not to click... lol, I might do that later on to cheat a few really annoying lives for completionist but probably not. When you're staring down the barrel at 9 lives, 45,000 Turbine Points just does not seem like a wise investment.

That, and with the new changes to repetition decay, my already patient nature will make the next lives a freaking cakewalk. I rarely play more than a few hours a day anyway, I can just repeat a handful of quests every day and actually make progress. Heck, this last life I earned a full third-life level just logging in once a day and doing the first 3 quests in the spinners chain one time on normal.

Half Elf cleric dillie is excellent for levelling. Once you get UMD high enough, you free swap to rogue or pali. It just makes sense. And for the race to 20 for turnaround, that is an excellent way to solo.
    Your mileage may vary, and your experience may be different. Half Elf for scrolls is ... ok. But if we're talking multi-TR, I'm assuming cash isn't a problem. Some notes.
    - I leveled a WF tukaw build and didn't take reconstruct until 16 and didn't slot a single repair spell. I used pots until then (basically).
    - I've leveled many fleshies through TR lives and first lives pretty much only using potions until UMD was good enough for scrolls.
    - I just completed the same on a WF - potions only until UMD was good enough for scrolls. I didn't hit no-fail until pretty late.
    - All of these pretty much elite-streak to cap.
    - Mixes of classes. Fleshie sorc/wizards (non-PM), WF melee, you name it.

I totally understand some people may like the simplicity of half-elf dilettante. For me, that scroll dilettante was never worth it - rogue and paladin always offered me more. Potions work well enough for healing until you can UMD. Plus, you're going to want UMD for other convenience factors so it isn't like those points are going to waste.

Anyway, that's my experience.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Potions work well enough for healing until you can UMD.
    Last life I found potions became less than useless at around level 6. Repair Serious Damage potions(Warforged life, going fleshie next) typically only hit for about 20 points. Once your XP approaches the 200 mark its really not that helpful with the cooldown and the stopping to drink. Getting back 10% HP just isn't that fantastic.

Are there maybe Cure Critical Wounds potions somewhere they I don't know about?

Your mileage may vary, and your experience may be different. Half Elf for scrolls is ... ok. But if we're talking multi-TR, I'm assuming cash isn't a problem. Some notes.
    - I leveled a WF tukaw build and didn't take reconstruct until 16 and didn't slot a single repair spell. I used pots until then (basically).
    - I've leveled many fleshies through TR lives and first lives pretty much only using potions until UMD was good enough for scrolls.
    - I just completed the same on a WF - potions only until UMD was good enough for scrolls. I didn't hit no-fail until pretty late.
    - All of these pretty much elite-streak to cap.
    - Mixes of classes. Fleshie sorc/wizards (non-PM), WF melee, you name it.

I totally understand some people may like the simplicity of half-elf dilettante. For me, that scroll dilettante was never worth it - rogue and paladin always offered me more. Potions work well enough for healing until you can UMD. Plus, you're going to want UMD for other convenience factors so it isn't like those points are going to waste.

Anyway, that's my experience.
    I thought that I was clear. UMD is certainly worth it. Hence, cleric dillie until UMD is there, then swap for Rogue or Paladin. Pots are fine, but certainly around level 15, they are like tiny band-aids. Plus it's nice to raise people, or when you're running Litany of the Dead solo, and you take stat dmg from our favorite Kai-Teng Fairuza, you have full restoration capabilities. UMD is awesome for Tenser's, GH, all of that, until then, cleric dillie is there.
    Last edited by Sonos; 09-19-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Last life I found potions became less than useless at around level 6. Repair Serious Damage potions(Warforged life, going fleshie next) typically only hit for about 20 points. Once your XP approaches the 200 mark its really not that helpful with the cooldown and the stopping to drink. Getting back 10% HP just isn't that fantastic.

Are there maybe Cure Critical Wounds potions somewhere they I don't know about?
    In the store, but don't go there.

Maybe we're approaching this wrong. Self-sufficiency is awesome - but healing is the back-side of the equation. Maybe you're taking too much on the front-end? Need more offense or more defense?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

In the store, but don't go there.

Maybe we're approaching this wrong. Self-sufficiency is awesome - but healing is the back-side of the equation. Maybe you're taking too much on the front-end? Need more offense or more defense?
    Getting to 20 mostly soloing is not that big of a brainer. Being self-sufficient is key for that. None of the mobs are that difficult. I suppose one could get a hire, but I mostly did for pulling a lever. A deep monk splash with stun, frozen tunic, perhaps vampiric stonedust for a few levels, is excellent CC and dps.
    Deedeeo- 18th life Completionist (12monk/6Ranger/2Artificer) ~ Sonos- 3rd life Artificer (sorc, bard PLs) ~ Tronsector- 3rd Life Wizard
    Flavored Soul- 2nd life Sorc(FVS PL). (and umpteen bank toons and experiments) Member of Synergia(lvl100)-Argonessen

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Pastlifenmo

Can't link the build, as it's at an eeeeeeeeevil alternate ddo site. Google it, it's the first result.
    I googled that, seems like a very solid concept.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    I googled that, seems like a very solid concept.
    Me too. Does look very interesting, but I'd need to make several new greensteels to pull it off. I'm saving the idea for later, though, might use it while doing completionist.

Is completionist really worth it? I mean +2 to everything, ok, but most of the past-life feats aren't all that spectacular for most builds when you only have 1 of each. Aside from bragging rights I don't really know if its worth the investment in time.

Is completionist really worth it?
    Depends on your definition of "worth it," what is your goal?

•Epeen contest
    Yup, worth it. It's the only way to achieve that last bit of bonus that's not available anywhere else. Can't have somebody sporting an inch more than you now, can you?

•Max toon power
    Since your collecting 3x all relevant pastlives anyway, may as well get completionist too. Even though it's less about bragging rights and more about about the personal satisfaction of making the best (caster, melee whatever) you can, as with the epeen case above you can't replace a bonus that has only one source.

•Building a solid toon
    Nope, not worth it. It's time (or ca$h) consuming, requires spending lots of playtime not playing the build you want to play, all for a small bonus that -while nice- is completely unnecessary even for exclusive Epic Elite play.

Not knowing your situation, pick whichever category best suits you.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Agreed. I can't really figure out why anyone would ever go fleshie arti in the first place. With the possible exception of "for the challenge"(which I have heard as a legitimate argument). The only other explanation is "I got it through favor-unlock and am too cheap to buy Warforged". I have a feeling I am subsidizing about three of those players...
    "cause warforged are so ugly it hurts.

WF 14sorc/1barb/3 whatever(the last two levels were always held at 18 until cap) - Earth Savant until Vale than Water swap. LR +5 for past life. Use Carnifex at low levels to give your sp a rest.-This build/cheat is fairly obsolete since it take 2 levels of Barb now for sprint boost.
    With the enhancement pass, you don't need Carnifex or to go past level 10 in sorc. At ten, you can still get the level 3 SLAs (fireball, acid blast, etc.) and with getting extra sp for items, you hardly run out. As for Carnifex, you can use it for levels 1-4, while you are maxing out burning hands and acid spray SLAs, but once you can cycle through both of those (maximized and empowered) you never run out of sp. And by the time you can get the scorch SLA, it's all a cakewalk. Laughable once you get the fireball SLA at lvl 12.
    Cannith - Sorrion - Glassbones - Galodon - Farsnipe
    Sarlona - Glassbones

Me too. Does look very interesting, but I'd need to make several new greensteels to pull it off. I'm saving the idea for later, though, might use it while doing completionist.

Is completionist really worth it? I mean +2 to everything, ok, but most of the past-life feats aren't all that spectacular for most builds when you only have 1 of each. Aside from bragging rights I don't really know if its worth the investment in time.
    The greensteel is nice to have, though not a must have.

I've actually find that despite the reaving roar nerf to damage I've not changed the split at all.
    I love :
    getting reaving roar 4 levels earlier
    especially coupled with my own +15% heal amp / light damage crown.
    using the feats i've saved on dragonmarks to get earth stance 3.
    2wf working in animal form.

Regarding completionist, It's much nicer to have on a toon I TR all the time than it is a toon I play at cap. Going forward I most likely won't bother with it again, 3 * relevant past lives is my preference.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post
    Pastlifenmo

Can't link the build, as it's at an eeeeeeeeevil alternate ddo site. Google it, it's the first result.
    Why is it evil?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    "cause warforged are so ugly it hurts.

...that is another argument in favor of fleshie warforgeds...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Why is it evil?
    I spent some time exploring their forums. If you ever think the community on this forum is bad, these people are way worse. Saw one thread in their "guides" section that was just how to grief. Not "how to avoid being griefed" and it wasn't a discussion of what was possible, it was just people trading tips on how to grief other players, rip people off in trade, etc.

Not that DDO is particularly grieftastic or anything, it just wasn't exactly a forum full of carebears.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast