Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Solo builds for cheating lives

I am attempting to work my way up towards the ultimate juggernaut with 3 artficer, 3 ranger, 3 fighter and 3 monk past lives. I mostly solo, so I have to work out builds that are self-sufficient and preferablly without a lot of headache. I just finished the first fighter life which I did by going warforged 9 artficer/11 fighter, and the self-healing was abysmal... barely adequite much of the time and completely insufficient the rest(though I could probably have taken my levels in a more sane order, but still...)

I was thinking of maybe trying a fleshie 7 fvs/2 monk/11 fighter next time, but am unsure how effective this will be.

Then I was also thinking 7fvs/2 fighter/11 monk for the monk lives. Or may just 8 fvs/12 monk, don't know.

Keep in mind I mostly solo and at the moment really do not care about epic destinies, so the build just has to be able to hit 20 and TR. I even have other epic level characters to farm the tokens on for hearts of wood. Currently sitting on 2 artificer and now 1 fighter past lifes, and going to be doing a ranger life before I even start with this.

So... any ideas?
    Last edited by IWCoppercrest; 09-21-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Go human for the amp, amp item. heal skill+items, etc etc and you will crit 500/600+ heals on serious nps with a bit of work.. but since you do not care past lv 20...
    you will heal for lower but it will still be very good so best is to go human and amp gear... they are flexible in that...
    this way heals will be solid tru level 1-20 and u will be very solo able...

gl

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    I am attempting to work my way up towards the ultimate juggernaut with 3 artficer, 3 ranger, 3 fighter and 3 monk past lives. I mostly solo, so I have to work out builds that are self-sufficient and preferablly without a lot of headache. I just finished the first fighter life which I did by going warforged 9 artficer/11 fighter, and the self-healing was abysmal... barely adequite much of the time and completely insufficient the rest(though I could probably have taken my levels in a more sane order, but still...)

I was thinking of maybe trying a fleshie 7 fvs/2 monk/11 fighter next time, but am unsure how effective this will be.

Then I was also thinking 7fvs/2 fighter/11 monk for the monk lives. Or may just 8 fvs/12 monk, don't know.

Keep in mind I mostly solo and at the moment really do not give a **** about epic destinies, so the build just has to be able to hit 20 and TR. I even have other epic level characters to farm the tokens on for hearts of wood. Currently sitting on 2 artificer and now 1 fighter past lifes, and going to be doing a ranger life before I even start with this.

So... any ideas?
    what is a cheating life?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    what is a cheating life?
    When you do a deep-splash build like 9 artificer/11 fighter in order to get the fighter past-life without really having to be a fighter.

So human and healing amp gear, that sounds like it otta do the trick! Throw in quicken just to cover the bases and I shall be golden.

When you do a deep-splash build like 9 artificer/11 fighter in order to get the fighter past-life without really having to be a fighter.

So human and healing amp gear, that sounds like it otta do the trick! Throw in quicken just to cover the bases and I shall be golden.
    oh ok so its just splashing but not *cheating* lol.

You can actually do 10 artificer, since artificer comes after fighter in the class list.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats

Keep in mind I mostly solo and at the moment really do not give a **** about epic destinies, so the build just has to be able to hit 20 and TR. I even have other epic level characters to farm the tokens on for hearts of wood. Currently sitting on 2 artificer and now 1 fighter past lifes, and going to be doing a ranger life before I even start with this.

So... any ideas?
    For Monk/Ranger past lives you simply switch the order...12/6/2 Monk or Ranger w/2 Fighter. You can go AA or TWF and it is the same gear basically.

Fighter/Monk would be the next one and is a solid Heroic build.

Artificer is just powerful by itself so no need to splash and I would wait 'till last because it would thrive on the Monk/Ranger PL feats. Fighter PL's would just be nice.

There was also a build before the enhancement pass using 7/6/x but I would personally find boring for that many PL's but was a sound build choice for gaining PL's w/out using Hearts of Wood +5. At least this was how the poster said it. Should still work for what you are looking for. 7 Artificer, 6 Rogue, X = Past life and this allows your build to focus on Int/Dex/Con and Repeating X-bows and everything else is just gravy. Made sense to me but I don't understand how PL work if you have equal levels across two classes. I thought you got to choose if they were tied but maybe that is not the case from what an above poster stated.

p.s. Thanks to the enhancement pass, maybe 4 levels of Rogue is all you need, You would gain X-bow proficiency through Artificer and all the needed enhancements would be unlocked with 4 Rogue I would think (w/out looking at Wiki) allowing the PL ("X") class to always be greater than 7

Community Member

There's lots of good sub-packages to mix and match with the new EP. You get a lot more front-loaded into the first 2-5 levels compared to the old system. The old builds (9 Monk/, 9 Rgr/) still apply, of course...I think /2 Fighter is somewhat deprecated now, too...but here's some new ones I think work:

-2 Rogue gives you Evasion and a whole slew of good melee attacks: Shiv, Bleed Them Out, Venomed Blades, Sly Flourish...
    -7 Arti/6 Rgr/7 XXX is basically king of repeaters, with INT-to-dmg, CSW Admixture for fleshie self-healing, and DWS attacks. Even better if your 7 XXX gives you Emp Heal. Only thing is your 7 XXX can't be is Druid, since Arti takes precedence.
    -6 Rgr/6 Mnk/8 XXX is the corresponding concept for archery bows, your classic MS/10KS abuser, except now you have Sniper and Inferno and Slayer to mix in your volleys.
    -You can go with an SLA-centered build with 7 Arti/6 Wiz/7 XXX, same as above with CSWA. You can spam the force and electric spells with good crit rates and a metric butt-ton of free feats
    -Elven AA basically lets you go DEX-based with a whole offensive toolbox without needing any class levels at all. Long as you have some self-healing or wand/scroll healing ability, you should be able to make it work. Heck, pair it up with something like pure Paladin for heavy armor and crazy defenses and be a siege tank

Personally I think the 6 Arti/6 Rgr is basically a win button in Heroic, the way repeaters can chew up monsters when paired with Sniper Shot.
    Last edited by droid327; 09-17-2013 at 07:38 PM.

My WF's self-healing paladin life was Monk 2 / Arti 6 / Paladin 12. I used recon scrolls.

His barbarian life was Rogue 4 / Fighter 4 / Barbarian 12. Again, recon.

This life he's a fighter. Monk 2 / Rogue 4 / Fighter 12 currently. Recon scrolls.

If you are thinking you need blue bar healing, maybe look for a deeper splash. Otherwise, I really think you can manage w/ scrolls. Arti 6 / Ranger 6 is a freakishly solid core. After I build a GS repeater I'm going to knock out rogue/ranger/arti lives by essentially taking 6 levels in each class (+2 of whatever before I hit 20 and TR).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    oh ok so its just splashing but not *cheating* lol.
    lol yes technically not "cheating" in the conventional sense, just abusing the mechanics a little. But then those same mechanics allow each character to be a unique snowflake...

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    You can actually do 10 artificer, since artificer comes after fighter in the class list.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats
    Yes you can do that, but the extra level of artificer gives you no real advantage while the extra fighter level does offer a small benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    There's lots of good sub-packages to mix and match with the new EP. You get a lot more front-loaded into the first 2-5 levels compared to the old system. The old builds (9 Monk/, 9 Rgr/) still apply, of course...I think /2 Fighter is somewhat deprecated now, too...but here's some new ones I think work:

-2 Rogue gives you Evasion and a whole slew of good melee attacks: Shiv, Bleed Them Out, Venomed Blades, Sly Flourish...
    -6 Arti/6 Rgr/8 XXX is basically king of repeaters, with INT-to-dmg and DWS attacks, plus CSW Admixture. Even better if your 8 XXX gives you Emp Heal.
    -6 Rgr/6 Mnk/8 XXX is the corresponding concept for archery bows, your classic MS/10KS abuser, except now you have Sniper and Inferno and Slayer to mix in your volleys.
    -You can go with an SLA-centered build with 6 Arti/6 Wiz/8 XXX, same as above with CSWA. You can spam the force and electric spells with good crit rates and a metric butt-ton of free feats
    -Elven AA basically lets you go DEX-based with a whole offensive toolbox without needing any class levels at all. Long as you have some self-healing or wand/scroll healing ability, you should be able to make it work.

Personally I think the 6 Arti/6 Rgr is basically a win button in Heroic, the way repeaters can chew up monsters when paired with Sniper Shot.
    A lot of very useful information in here, thanks. I could actually mix and match and try different things each life(would make the process a lot more fun) and actually depending on how the next few lives go I could take the 6 arti/6 Rgr and just go completionist for the added zeal.

What I am thinking I might do is mix and match fighter/monk/ranger lives until I've got 3 of each, then do a juggernaut life and bask in the glory for a bit... then maybe go completionist followed by a final juggernaut life and then laugh at all the little people... hahaha

ya know, if you'd asked me a year ago if I thought I'd ever become a TR junky, I'd have spit in your face :P man this game is addicting!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    My WF's self-healing paladin life was Monk 2 / Arti 6 / Paladin 12. I used recon scrolls.

His barbarian life was Rogue 4 / Fighter 4 / Barbarian 12. Again, recon.

This life he's a fighter. Monk 2 / Rogue 4 / Fighter 12 currently. Recon scrolls.

If you are thinking you need blue bar healing, maybe look for a deeper splash. Otherwise, I really think you can manage w/ scrolls. Arti 6 / Ranger 6 is a freakishly solid core. After I build a GS repeater I'm going to knock out rogue/ranger/arti lives by essentially taking 6 levels in each class (+2 of whatever before I hit 20 and TR).
    How on earth are you keeping supplied with that many recon scrolls? Is there a vendor somewhere that sells them that I don't know about?! lol

I will have to totally have to try the 6/6 core for something. Maybe do a barbarian life like that.

Community Member

How on earth are you keeping supplied with that many recon scrolls? Is there a vendor somewhere that sells them that I don't know about?! lol

I will have to totally have to try the 6/6 core for something. Maybe do a barbarian life like that.
    ...Heather Holywind in the Portable Hole. I checked.

Pardon me while I go sit in the corner and feel stupid for thinging Reconstruct was a rare scroll :P

...Heather Holywind in the Portable Hole. I checked.

Pardon me while I go sit in the corner and feel stupid for thinging Reconstruct was a rare scroll :P

Indeed, you can buy teleport scrolls from the guild vendor in K, then all your GH / recon / monster summoning / whatever needs in the hole.

Community Member

Indeed, you can buy teleport scrolls from the guild vendor in K, then all your GH / recon / monster summoning / whatever needs in the hole.
    Or just have a wizard alt and shared bank, but yes that works to :P will definitely be putting many points into UMD in later lives...

Or just have a wizard alt and shared bank, but yes that works to :P will definitely be putting many points into UMD in later lives...
    Yes but you haven't learned the joy of being able to teleport on EVERY life. The UMD for teleport is pretty low - it helps the efficient and lazy types (cough cough like me) tremendously.

Community Member

I do think I will have to try that next life :P I am SO lazy on my wizard, its not even funny! And I get so annoyed about not having that level of lazyness on everyone else...

Ok, flinging points wontonly into UMD next life!(didn't even bother with it this life... so sad lol
    Last edited by HunterjWizzard; 09-17-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Community Member

Question: is there any other item that provides a +6 Exceptional Bonus to Charisma Skills at level 12, besides Greensteel? Playing around with the planner and not seeing anything I like that I don't already have...

And yes I know they changed exceptional bonuses so they no longer stack but doubled them so +3 is now +6.

Right now the best option I am seeing is a permenant blur item with a handful of things I won't use and only a +4 Charisma Skills...

Community Member

Yes but you haven't learned the joy of being able to teleport on EVERY life. The UMD for teleport is pretty low - it helps the efficient and lazy types (cough cough like me) tremendously.
    A trip the Restless Isles can net you a teleport clickie (Royal Guard Mask) from Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    A trip the Restless Isles can net you a teleport clickie (Royal Guard Mask) from Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan.
    Great, now I have to go farm for one of those :P I swear somebody has GOT to write a guide for the restless isles, I get so friggin lost every single time I go there... EDIT: scratch that, I'm confusing the Restless Isles with Reaver's Reguge. Restless Isles looks quite straight forward.
    Last edited by HunterjWizzard; 09-17-2013 at 10:16 PM.

I'm partial to 9 wiz/1 rog/10 whatever. Rage, haste, repair crit, ddoor, trap skills and plenty of feats and skill points. Certainly not for everyone, but it offers a lot of convenience.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast