Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Solo builds for cheating lives

I am attempting to work my way up towards the ultimate juggernaut with 3 artficer, 3 ranger, 3 fighter and 3 monk past lives. I mostly solo, so I have to work out builds that are self-sufficient and preferablly without a lot of headache. I just finished the first fighter life which I did by going warforged 9 artficer/11 fighter, and the self-healing was abysmal... barely adequite much of the time and completely insufficient the rest(though I could probably have taken my levels in a more sane order, but still...)

I was thinking of maybe trying a fleshie 7 fvs/2 monk/11 fighter next time, but am unsure how effective this will be.

Then I was also thinking 7fvs/2 fighter/11 monk for the monk lives. Or may just 8 fvs/12 monk, don't know.

Keep in mind I mostly solo and at the moment really do not care about epic destinies, so the build just has to be able to hit 20 and TR. I even have other epic level characters to farm the tokens on for hearts of wood. Currently sitting on 2 artificer and now 1 fighter past lifes, and going to be doing a ranger life before I even start with this.

So... any ideas?
    Last edited by IWCoppercrest; 09-21-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Go human for the amp, amp item. heal skill+items, etc etc and you will crit 500/600+ heals on serious nps with a bit of work.. but since you do not care past lv 20...
    you will heal for lower but it will still be very good so best is to go human and amp gear... they are flexible in that...
    this way heals will be solid tru level 1-20 and u will be very solo able...

gl

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    I am attempting to work my way up towards the ultimate juggernaut with 3 artficer, 3 ranger, 3 fighter and 3 monk past lives. I mostly solo, so I have to work out builds that are self-sufficient and preferablly without a lot of headache. I just finished the first fighter life which I did by going warforged 9 artficer/11 fighter, and the self-healing was abysmal... barely adequite much of the time and completely insufficient the rest(though I could probably have taken my levels in a more sane order, but still...)

I was thinking of maybe trying a fleshie 7 fvs/2 monk/11 fighter next time, but am unsure how effective this will be.

Then I was also thinking 7fvs/2 fighter/11 monk for the monk lives. Or may just 8 fvs/12 monk, don't know.

Keep in mind I mostly solo and at the moment really do not give a **** about epic destinies, so the build just has to be able to hit 20 and TR. I even have other epic level characters to farm the tokens on for hearts of wood. Currently sitting on 2 artificer and now 1 fighter past lifes, and going to be doing a ranger life before I even start with this.

So... any ideas?
    what is a cheating life?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    what is a cheating life?
    When you do a deep-splash build like 9 artificer/11 fighter in order to get the fighter past-life without really having to be a fighter.

So human and healing amp gear, that sounds like it otta do the trick! Throw in quicken just to cover the bases and I shall be golden.

When you do a deep-splash build like 9 artificer/11 fighter in order to get the fighter past-life without really having to be a fighter.

So human and healing amp gear, that sounds like it otta do the trick! Throw in quicken just to cover the bases and I shall be golden.
    oh ok so its just splashing but not *cheating* lol.

You can actually do 10 artificer, since artificer comes after fighter in the class list.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats

Community Member

There's lots of good sub-packages to mix and match with the new EP. You get a lot more front-loaded into the first 2-5 levels compared to the old system. The old builds (9 Monk/, 9 Rgr/) still apply, of course...I think /2 Fighter is somewhat deprecated now, too...but here's some new ones I think work:

-2 Rogue gives you Evasion and a whole slew of good melee attacks: Shiv, Bleed Them Out, Venomed Blades, Sly Flourish...
    -7 Arti/6 Rgr/7 XXX is basically king of repeaters, with INT-to-dmg, CSW Admixture for fleshie self-healing, and DWS attacks. Even better if your 7 XXX gives you Emp Heal. Only thing is your 7 XXX can't be is Druid, since Arti takes precedence.
    -6 Rgr/6 Mnk/8 XXX is the corresponding concept for archery bows, your classic MS/10KS abuser, except now you have Sniper and Inferno and Slayer to mix in your volleys.
    -You can go with an SLA-centered build with 7 Arti/6 Wiz/7 XXX, same as above with CSWA. You can spam the force and electric spells with good crit rates and a metric butt-ton of free feats
    -Elven AA basically lets you go DEX-based with a whole offensive toolbox without needing any class levels at all. Long as you have some self-healing or wand/scroll healing ability, you should be able to make it work. Heck, pair it up with something like pure Paladin for heavy armor and crazy defenses and be a siege tank

Personally I think the 6 Arti/6 Rgr is basically a win button in Heroic, the way repeaters can chew up monsters when paired with Sniper Shot.
    Last edited by droid327; 09-17-2013 at 07:38 PM.

My WF's self-healing paladin life was Monk 2 / Arti 6 / Paladin 12. I used recon scrolls.

His barbarian life was Rogue 4 / Fighter 4 / Barbarian 12. Again, recon.

This life he's a fighter. Monk 2 / Rogue 4 / Fighter 12 currently. Recon scrolls.

If you are thinking you need blue bar healing, maybe look for a deeper splash. Otherwise, I really think you can manage w/ scrolls. Arti 6 / Ranger 6 is a freakishly solid core. After I build a GS repeater I'm going to knock out rogue/ranger/arti lives by essentially taking 6 levels in each class (+2 of whatever before I hit 20 and TR).
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

oh ok so its just splashing but not *cheating* lol.
    lol yes technically not "cheating" in the conventional sense, just abusing the mechanics a little. But then those same mechanics allow each character to be a unique snowflake...

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    You can actually do 10 artificer, since artificer comes after fighter in the class list.

Yes you can do that, but the extra level of artificer gives you no real advantage while the extra fighter level does offer a small benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    There's lots of good sub-packages to mix and match with the new EP. You get a lot more front-loaded into the first 2-5 levels compared to the old system. The old builds (9 Monk/, 9 Rgr/) still apply, of course...I think /2 Fighter is somewhat deprecated now, too...but here's some new ones I think work:

-2 Rogue gives you Evasion and a whole slew of good melee attacks: Shiv, Bleed Them Out, Venomed Blades, Sly Flourish...
    -6 Arti/6 Rgr/8 XXX is basically king of repeaters, with INT-to-dmg and DWS attacks, plus CSW Admixture. Even better if your 8 XXX gives you Emp Heal.
    -6 Rgr/6 Mnk/8 XXX is the corresponding concept for archery bows, your classic MS/10KS abuser, except now you have Sniper and Inferno and Slayer to mix in your volleys.
    -You can go with an SLA-centered build with 6 Arti/6 Wiz/8 XXX, same as above with CSWA. You can spam the force and electric spells with good crit rates and a metric butt-ton of free feats
    -Elven AA basically lets you go DEX-based with a whole offensive toolbox without needing any class levels at all. Long as you have some self-healing or wand/scroll healing ability, you should be able to make it work.

Personally I think the 6 Arti/6 Rgr is basically a win button in Heroic, the way repeaters can chew up monsters when paired with Sniper Shot.
    A lot of very useful information in here, thanks. I could actually mix and match and try different things each life(would make the process a lot more fun) and actually depending on how the next few lives go I could take the 6 arti/6 Rgr and just go completionist for the added zeal.

What I am thinking I might do is mix and match fighter/monk/ranger lives until I've got 3 of each, then do a juggernaut life and bask in the glory for a bit... then maybe go completionist followed by a final juggernaut life and then laugh at all the little people... hahaha

ya know, if you'd asked me a year ago if I thought I'd ever become a TR junky, I'd have spit in your face :P man this game is addicting!

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post

It might even be advantageous to go 6/6/6 for some lives and then take the final 2 levels in whichever class you need the past life in. One advantage of this is that each life plays exactly the same as the life before it did.

Since L6 seems to be the sweet spot for many of the prestige enhancement trees in the revamped enhancement system this can give lots of synergy to a build. Of course, the risk is that you miss out on higher level repair or healing spells.

With warforged do not neglect the repair skill as this affects the repair spells. With fleshies do not neglect the heal skill as it affects healing spells.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    With warforged do not neglect the repair skill as this affects the repair spells. With fleshies do not neglect the heal skill as it affects healing spells.
    Again, I kinda feel spending points in Heal and Repair (and Spellcraft) can be another n00b trap. Not that they hurt, like taking CE might - just that they're definitely "second tier" skills to spend points on. You're only talking about 23 spellpower difference, when 200-400 spellpower is now possible endgame - you still get points from stat bonus and +gear and enhancements regardless of points actually spent. Heck, spend 4 points on char creation (when you have lots of leftovers) and its only 19 spellpower difference.

I definitely would max out other skills (trapping for trappers, stealth for stealthers, balance/conc, enough Jump to hit 40 with buff, etc.) before I put anything into Repair or Heal, they're moreso a "good place for leftover points" rather than "sacrifice something else to max these". Then just get an item with +XX Repair or Heal, its essentially equivalent to +XX Repair/Positive spellpower that stacks with actual Devotion or Reconstruction.

what is a cheating life?
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Stone_of_Experience

Keep in mind I mostly solo and at the moment really do not give a **** about epic destinies, so the build just has to be able to hit 20 and TR. I even have other epic level characters to farm the tokens on for hearts of wood. Currently sitting on 2 artificer and now 1 fighter past lifes, and going to be doing a ranger life before I even start with this.

So... any ideas?
    For Monk/Ranger past lives you simply switch the order...12/6/2 Monk or Ranger w/2 Fighter. You can go AA or TWF and it is the same gear basically.

Fighter/Monk would be the next one and is a solid Heroic build.

Artificer is just powerful by itself so no need to splash and I would wait 'till last because it would thrive on the Monk/Ranger PL feats. Fighter PL's would just be nice.

There was also a build before the enhancement pass using 7/6/x but I would personally find boring for that many PL's but was a sound build choice for gaining PL's w/out using Hearts of Wood +5. At least this was how the poster said it. Should still work for what you are looking for. 7 Artificer, 6 Rogue, X = Past life and this allows your build to focus on Int/Dex/Con and Repeating X-bows and everything else is just gravy. Made sense to me but I don't understand how PL work if you have equal levels across two classes. I thought you got to choose if they were tied but maybe that is not the case from what an above poster stated.

p.s. Thanks to the enhancement pass, maybe 4 levels of Rogue is all you need, You would gain X-bow proficiency through Artificer and all the needed enhancements would be unlocked with 4 Rogue I would think (w/out looking at Wiki) allowing the PL ("X") class to always be greater than 7

So... any ideas?
    Is it just me, or did noone mention 10 sorc/10 PL?

I have never breezed through lives better since the EP. Now even with only 10 levels of sorc, you can get the scorch AND fireball SLA at lvl 12!!! Extremely OPed in my opinion. Build him right and you can even use PK for levels 18-20, when damage is trumped by instakills. Go WF and use recon scrolls to self heal.
    Cannith - Sorrion - Glassbones - Galodon - Farsnipe
    Sarlona - Glassbones

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by anivaj View Post
    Is it just me, or did noone mention 10 sorc/10 PL?

I have never breezed through lives better since the EP. Now even with only 10 levels of sorc, you can get the scorch AND fireball SLA at lvl 12!!! Extremely OPed in my opinion. Build him right and you can even use PK for levels 18-20, when damage is trumped by instakills. Go WF and use recon scrolls to self heal.
    no no one has mentioned that, I'll add it to my list. Tell me, could you maybe go 1 fighter/10 sorcerer/9 fighter? Then you'd have all the weapon feats right away and still have the sorcerer self-healing kicking in right about when you need it.

What about 1 paladin/9 sorcerer/10 Past Life?

no no one has mentioned that, I'll add it to my list. Tell me, could you maybe go 1 fighter/10 sorcerer/9 fighter? Then you'd have all the weapon feats right away and still have the sorcerer self-healing kicking in right about when you need it.

What about 1 paladin/9 sorcerer/10 Past Life?
    Nope 10 sorc, then all ten PL levels. You want the fireball as soon as possible, and if you play a sorc right, you will never need a weapon. You can get the burning hands AND acid spray SLAs maxxed quickly, and if you take empower and maximize ASAP, you can do some serious damage with them for low sp.
    Sarlona - Glassbones

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by anivaj View Post
    Nope 10 sorc, then all ten PL levels. You want the fireball as soon as possible, and if you play a sorc right, you will never need a weapon. You can get the burning hands AND acid spray SLAs maxxed quickly, and if you take empower and maximize ASAP, you can do some serious damage with them for low sp.
    Ah. See there's the problem: I can't play a sorc right, lol. I have just never been able to get the hang of casters. That blue bar runs dry after the first fight and then I am just a giant pile of failure. I feel like Klin Steagen whenever I try to play a pure caster...

Ah. See there's the problem: I can't play a sorc right, lol. I have just never been able to get the hang of casters. That blue bar runs dry after the first fight and then I am just a giant pile of failure. I feel like Klin Steagen whenever I try to play a pure caster...
    That is the beauty of sorcs...maximized and empowered SLAs leave tons of sp to spare. By level 12, you can cycle between scorch and fireball SLAs, while throwing in an unmetaed fireball. With an archmagi item (+400 sp), you honestly never run out of sp.
    Sarlona - Glassbones

I am working through a 12 Sorc/6 Pal/2 Monk life. Yes for the Sorc PL.

I am going Earth Savant. My acid blast is Maximzed and Empowered and hitting for about 500hp as an AOE for like 6 sp. All the while I am Cleaving and Great Cleaving with a Greataxe. Makes short work of stuff.

For a Sorc it is all about being a Savant and maxing out the use of your SLA's. Totally saves on SP and works.

My Air Savant uses a Heightened, Maximized, and Empowered Elertic Loop for CC in Epic content. For 4 sp each shot.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

Nothing much on the splash lives, but I concur with the human for healing amp. Particular with a 2 monk or phally splash, both classes have additional healing amp in the enhancement trees. You would likely be able to scroll heal just fine. Might even consider throwing in 6 cleric into those builds just for the Passive aura for self healing if you are really worried about it.

Keep in mind I mostly solo and at the moment really do not care about epic destinies, so the build just has to be able to hit 20 and TR. I even have other epic level characters to farm the tokens on for hearts of wood. Currently sitting on 2 artificer and now 1 fighter past lifes, and going to be doing a ranger life before I even start with this.
    If you are not already capped out on Destinies I would offer however since feats available are based on capped destinies to do some easy ED XP farming. Your particular feats available at 25 and above will be based on which destinies you have capped out.

In my current TR cycle once I hit 20. I do run a quick cycle of the explorer areas. Kings Forest, Shindirlyn, High Road, Storm Horns, Wheloon, Gainthold. A quick run of just these explorers would nets me over 1 million xp for your ED without even a pot. I consider this low hanging fruit for ED xp, particularly since I can run then every time I hit 20. And being explorers I don't have to worry much about the epic survivability of the particular splashed build that I have created to get through my life.

That way when I get to my final life I should have at least 3-6 Destinies capped out before I even hit level 25 for those Epic Feats. It will give me lots more options available. For just a few hours of running.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)