Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lycurgus View Post
    I'm partial to 9 wiz/1 rog/10 whatever. Rage, haste, repair crit, ddoor, trap skills and plenty of feats and skill points. Certainly not for everyone, but it offers a lot of convenience.
    Not to mention a little extra variety, thanks!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lycurgus View Post
    I'm partial to 9 wiz/1 rog/10 whatever. Rage, haste, repair crit, ddoor, trap skills and plenty of feats and skill points. Certainly not for everyone, but it offers a lot of convenience.
    You can also use the Pale Master forms and Death Aura & Negative Energy Burst for some decent healing over time and pretty good burst healing, though unless you have a Torc you'll eat through your low SP pool quickly using NEB. Being immune to a lot of things like most CC spells is nice, though you do have to be careful of light spells, especially if you use the Vampire form (which you will as a melee, given the attack speed penalty on Zombie). Not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm partial to being undead.

Not to mention you can take all those Wizard levels early and tear through mid-level content with Wall of Fire/Ice Storm/Acid Rain.

Community Member

Has anyone written a guide for maxing out UMD since the recent game changes?

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

I don't know about "Cheating builds" But since I'll be doing many of the same lifes as you here's my plans for my main:

Ranger:
    First life was Pure 20 Ranger
    Second life was 11Ranger/6Monk/3Arti
    Third life is 11Ranger/8Rogue/1Fighter

The thing to not about Ranger is that the class(as far as split builds is concerned) for the most part ends at level 11. Getting 11 Ranger on your Ranger lives will net you all the TWF and Ranger feats you want for free and leave you open to any other 9 levels you could want to add. These other 9 levels could be pretty much anything and it wouldn't affect your performance very much in a negative way during heroics. This means that if you want buffs you could go something like 11Ranger/7Wiz/2Rogue and get plenty of SP and self buffs, trapping, a few free feats...Easy enough for a pastlife build.

Monk:
    12Monk/6Ranger/2Fighter
    12Monk/6Ranger/2Arti
    12Monk/6Ranger/2Pali

Pretty much any past life build I make will have 6 Ranger, and use a bow. That being said, these class splits offer a lot of versatility besides just your typical Monkcher builds. Unarmed DPS with Manyshot for burst DPS, WSS build with manyshot and 10K stars. Whatever.

Fighter:
    12Fighter/6Ranger/2Monk
    8Fighter/6Ranger/6Monk
    12Fighter/6Monk/2Pali(Cetusssssssssss new U19 fighter build)

Again, with all the feats Fighters get, and all the free feats Rangers get you can pretty much build a toon to do anything you want.

As I said, these aren't really "Cheat" builds, but for me they will offer the smoothest past lives, and the most fun. The 11Ranger splits though do offer the biggest variety in builds and class splits. I would highly recommend taking no more, or no less than 11Ranger levels for a past life build if you do not wish to simply be a pure Ranger.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    what is a cheating life?
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Stone_of_Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    A trip the Restless Isles can net you a teleport clickie (Royal Guard Mask) from Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan.
    Those do not exist and are only fairy tales.

In practical terms, teleport scrolls are cheat and easily available.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Why has no one mentioned Helf? Half-elf Cleric dilettante: You don't have to squeeze in UMD items, swap gear etc.. With 6monk/6fighter/8whatever, (something along those lines) you just stun and gun. When you feel like you need some health run in a circle and hit up a heal scroll. (quaffing pots is all you need with helf healing amp until you can scroll heal).

Recon, SP, all of that? No need. It's the easiest no-brainer way to get through a life. Some do rogue in there for traps, but I can't be bothered.

Unless you don't have Helf, otherwise it's the easiest way to get PLs IMO.
    Last edited by Sonos; 09-18-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    A trip the Restless Isles can net you a teleport clickie (Royal Guard Mask) from Bring Me the Head of Ghola-Fan.
    The teleport clicky is a very very low drop rate. I understand it to be 3%. It's certainly not high enough to suggest to anyone that farming a teleport mask is an efficient activity.

Investing in the UMD needed for using teleport scrolls provides much more value than dozens of hours running Ghola Fan.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by morkahn82 View Post
    Been there, done that :P Might do that for a few more if point sales keep coming along :P Turbine is mean, I'd been waiting so long for a point sale I convinced myself to spring for the $100 pack...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    I don't know about
    ... wish to simply be a pure Ranger.
    The problem there is you've got a lot of deep-splashed builds, which mean they're quite powerful in the late game but have some very tough levels early and mid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Why has no one mentioned Helf? Half-elf Cleric dilettante: You don't have to squeeze in UMD items, swap gear etc.. With 6monk/6fighter/8whatever, (something along those lines) you just stun and gun. When you feel like you need some health run in a circle and hit up a heal scroll. (quaffing pots is all you need with helf healing amp until you can scroll heal).

Recon, SP, all of that? No need. It's the easiest no-brainer way to get through a life. Some do rogue in there for traps, but I can't be bothered.

I don't have Helf but its on sale and have zero qualms about buying it :P. The only problem is... you say "Half-elf Cleric dilettante" but where's the cleric in there? 6 monk/6 fighter/8... cleric? that only nets me a cleric past life. So I'm a little confused.

As to the Arty/Rogue/PL Artilevelling build, the 7th Arty level doesn't give as much since the enhancement pass: one 3rd level spell, some artificer knowledge, and the bump to the elemental resist spell.
    So a 6 Arty/6 Rogue/8 Whatever is probably the way to go for a repeater build for this purpose.
    Bonus in that you then have the opportunity to take any useful level-6 core enhancement from your PL class when you hit the "TR-cap" at 18 (and then the 8 fighter level milestone at 20).

Personally, I've also been pondering a 6 Ranger/6 Cleric/8 PL TWF build along these lines.
    * Elf for tempest, racial, and faith weapon synergy - You can pick scimitars for crit range, dex to hit/damage, and raise-dead clicky; or longswords for better monk-synergy during that PL, and a super-heal clicky.
    * Can dump DEX entirely and still get 70% offhand strikes.
    * Warpriest's tier 5 divine power ability lets you take even 8 levels of wiz/sorc without sacrificing BAB.
    * Manyshot and elven bow synergy for when you need to range.
    * Can dip into Radiant Servant for extra heal power, or focus on DPS.

My melee toon is far from being in a position to TR though, so this is still mostly a thought experiment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoaly View Post
    The teleport clicky is a very very low drop rate. I understand it to be 3%. It's certainly not high enough to suggest to anyone that farming a teleport mask is an efficient activity.
    Now granted, I did run it quite a few times, but I farmed out two Royal Guard Masks in not so long a time - just running it once a day. Maybe I got lucky.

Pastlifenmo

Can't link the build, as it's at an eeeeeeeeevil alternate ddo site. Google it, it's the first result.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    The problem there is you've got a lot of deep-splashed builds, which mean they're quite powerful in the late game but have some very tough levels early and mid.

I don't have Helf but its on sale and have zero qualms about buying it :P. The only problem is... you say "Half-elf Cleric dilettante" but where's the cleric in there? 6 monk/6 fighter/8... cleric? that only nets me a cleric past life. So I'm a little confused.
    Not true. All of the builds I posted use THF until around level 12 when GS kicks in. What this means is you take Power Attack, Cleave, and GreatCleave pretty early on. You use a +1 Lacerating weapon(Greataxe/GreatSword) from level 1-4, from 4-8 you use a Carnifex, and from 8-12 you use a Maelstrom. Since all of the builds I mentions maxe str 1 cleave is usually enough to kill a room of mobs until you get to level 7-8. then it takes cleave and great cleave.

The only problem with any of these at low levels is the lack of inherent self heals via spells. This is easily ignored since CSW pots are cheap and easy to get and are more than enough. But all these builds have the potential to max UMD, and all have ranger levels. Ranger automatically get the use of cure wands as well.

Half Elves have a special thing called the "Dilettante Feat". what this does is gives you an extra feat at character creation to choose a delittante from another class that you qualify for. These feats unlock enhancements in the racial tree that improved your dilettante feat, giving you the abilities and bonus' of another class.

So for a Cleric dile, you get the ability to use all divine scrolls as a 10th level cleric. Which means you can use heal scrolls without any UMD investment what-so-ever.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Dilettante
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post

Because the OP was talking about WF.

Even still, I wouldn't go Half Elf w/ a dilettante for scroll healing myself. Rogue or Paladin maybe, but never cleric. You'll still want UMD on a multi-TR, so you may as well optimize.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post

So for a Cleric dile, you get the ability to use all divine scrolls as a 10th level cleric. Which means you can use heal scrolls without any UMD investment what-so-ever.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Dilettante
    Holy cow.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Because the OP was talking about WF.
    Actually the OP(me) specifically said he was currently warforged but was going to be doing fleshie lives. Not that I'll ever grow tired of being a robot or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    Actually the OP(me) specifically said he was currently warforged but was going to be doing fleshie lives. Not that I'll ever grow tired of being a robot or anything...
    Yep.

Some people like Cleric Dilettante; I think you'll find you want UMD anyway.

Community Member

Just looking through the Dilettante feats(which I did not previously know existed) I can see a lot of interesting things. Not saying its the beat-all/end-all solution, but it would certainly provide for some additional flavor.

After doing 2 straight warforged artificer lives, I was pretty burned out(but still love artificers) and had figured I'd best never do two identical lives in a row. I'm getting a lot of really good advice here on how to make every life a unique and exciting adventure(as it should be!)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    As to the Arty/Rogue/PL Artilevelling build, the 7th Arty level doesn't give as much since the enhancement pass: one 3rd level spell, some artificer knowledge, and the bump to the elemental resist spell.
    So a 6 Arty/6 Rogue/8 Whatever is probably the way to go for a repeater build for this purpose.
    For a WF, yes, since Repair Serious is an autoslot...for a fleshie, that second 3rd level spell means Cure Serious Admixture, since your 1st slot is, of course, always Insightful Damage. If you want to have blue-bar heals as a fleshie arti, and not just be wand/scroll heals, the 7th level of Arti probably outweighs the 6th level in your piggyback class (since you stop at L18, you only effectively go 6/6/6)

just do what everyone else does, level a fvs to 19 then use a lessor and finish with what you want. The reason I say fvs is because they are very solo friendly and you can add 1 or 2 rogue levels for traps also.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    For a WF, yes, since Repair Serious is an autoslot...for a fleshie, that second 3rd level spell means Cure Serious Admixture, since your 1st slot is, of course, always Insightful Damage.
    Not if you have 6 levels of rogue - you get Int to damage with crossbows as a mechanic core ability.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    Not if you have 6 levels of rogue - you get Int to damage with crossbows as a mechanic core ability.
    Yeah, I wish Mechanic had more for repeaters than just another +4 damage (that wasn't ROG-level dependent). Really, since Repeater Mechanics and Artis have so much overlap already, there's no point (IMO) in going more than 2 deep in Rogue for Evasion, in a Repeater build. If you're 6/6ing, Ranger is so much more worthwhile...and if you're just going 2 deep in Rogue, you might as well go 9/2/9 since Arti yields the PL to everything but Druid.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast