Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    I had 198, and he wanted 200...
    Gimp!

Seriously though, I'll never get why people care about hp, unless it's an extreme.
    Y'know, like that 140ish hp level 16 I was playing with.

I don't even know. (Did I mention it was legend life?)
    Didn't decline and/or boot him (her?), but.. had some lols in /tell with my mate who I was grouped with after the inevitable deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    I wanted to join a group the other day and the leader asked me what my DCs were.

The correct answer would be, "what house?" and alternatively "shr plz".

I left a party when the cleric started berating me for drinking a mnemonic pot. He told me there was a shrine right around the corner and I told him I knew that. But we were zerging and I didn't want to get left behind, so I chugged a pot. He proceeded to tell me what an idiot I was. I mentioned that I had stacks and stacks of mnemo pots from many past lives that were not caster, literally several stacks of 100. He ignored that and continued to tell me how I was supposed to play.

I told them gl and left.

It takes all kinds, and I've met lots of really cool folks pugging. But there are always a few horror stories. The horror stories are more interesting than the stories about the smooth runs with relaxed adult players.

But that's what makes pugging an adventure. You never know who you're going to run with...

To put in my 2 coppers worth...

Many of the players are from the MMORPG generation video gamers who have never played the PnP game and have no idea how to role play a character, and expects everyone to be built to their specs rather than to their own. Yes there are those who play better than others, but so what? Are you having fun discovering ways to win despite such difficulties or are you just interested in grinding out the quests for the end reward you are obsessed over and just "have to have" for your build to be that much more "uber" and boring as he--?

You don't have to win every time to have fun. As long as you tried hard and learn from the failures you will eventually succeed. It is the endeavor to succeed that makes the end success and rewards worthwhile.

Part of D&D is playing with characters that are weak in areas that others in your group are stronger in, that's the point of a team. A super-equipped super-ability build played badly isn't any more use that the newest newbie who hasn't a clue what they are doing...at least the newbie has a good excuse.

Rogues are strongest as scouts sneaking ahead disarming traps, unlocking doors and assassinating the lone sentry...but really, who actually uses a rogue this way instead of rushing impatiently through a dungeon to "get it done with the greatest amount of xp in the least amount of time."

Fighters are there to take the brunt of an attack and provide defense for the other physically weaker members of the party, doing the greatest amount of damage possible to the opponents.

Clerics are there to heal injuries during and between battle encounters, to provide divine buffs and effectively deal with un-dead and evil beings, and they should be protected at all costs...losing your cleric is often why your team fails!

Wizards are there to provide magical attacks that decimate their opponents with great damage, preferably from afar and in great numbers.

and there are many other roles to be played...it is not about "being self sufficient" or "being able to solo one area so others concentrate on other areas to complete in record time" It is about having fun, working around the weakness and succeeding as a group after putting your full efforts into it (OTHERWISE KNOWN AS PLAYING WELL).

Yes it is nice when things go easy when everyone knows what they are doing and how to play their role, but life isn't like that and in a social game such as an MMO, where you need to depend on a player you may know nothing of, you have to be able to be patient and take the hard with the easy. Not everyone is Chuck Norris, Superman, Batman or any other fictional hero, though some think they are and you should be too.

I have been turned down for groups many times for many different reasons, none of which I find valid when the determination is "too few hp/sp" "DC's on spells are too low" or "you are under equipped". These are the types of challenges that make the game FUN! When you succeed despite the challenges then you have something to crow about...and there is always a point when you can meet the challenge and succeed, whether that is due to a worthwhile team or your own advancement. It is the "elitist" players with all the conditions that are the true losers...they can't win without having the overwhelming advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    I wonder how the reaction would have been if you /tell that party leader: "Meh my Banishment DC is decent but my Greater Shout will make all of them stunned and unable to move." Just food for thought.
    The leader might have replied "As a level 14 wizard you don't have access to Greater Shout, so you're either lying to try to get into the group or you don't even know your own spell list". And then the leader would have rejected him from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Gimp!

Seriously though, I'll never get why people care about hp, unless it's an extreme.
    Y'know, like that 140ish hp level 16 I was playing with.

I don't even know. (Did I mention it was legend life?)
    Didn't decline and/or boot him (her?), but.. had some lols in /tell with my mate who I was grouped with after the inevitable deaths.
    I know, I felt so bad being that I needed like 500 XP to level, and after I leveled, hey, I had the 200HP, and some change. The funnier thing was he was worried about some beholder or another, but didn't bother to check if I had Deathblock, or Negative Energy absorbtion, I had both. If it had been my LFM, I'd have advised that everyone have Deathblock, but beyond that, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    I know, I felt so bad being that I needed like 500 XP to level, and after I leveled, hey, I had the 200HP, and some change. The funnier thing was he was worried about some beholder or another, but didn't bother to check if I had Deathblock, or Negative Energy absorbtion, I had both. If it had been my LFM, I'd have advised that everyone have Deathblock, but beyond that, meh.
    If it was my LFM, I'd just press accept. I honestly don't care who joins, nor their gear status.

If they lack resistance +5 or con+6 (or false life >20), I'll give them that. It takes up 1/5 of my inventory helping them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    If I join a group and someone starts asking me questions that I interpret to mean he is screening my abilities, I say "thx" and drop group.

This game is not that hard.
    this.
    except i write "LOL, np bye and gl"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archemancer View Post
    Are you having fun discovering ways to win despite such difficulties or are you just interested in grinding out the quests for the end reward you are obsessed over and just "have to have" for your build to be that much more "uber" and boring as he--?
    Fun? What does fun have to do with this?

Sadly, a very large percentage of players are doing exactly what you say: racing through things obsessed with getting "stuff" as fast as possible and how many XP they get each minute. And then they complain that they're bored. I know players who constantly complain how there's nothing to do and the game is too easy and they're "bored" -- but each time they TR they pick the most efficient class splits possible, use all of their twink gear, and zerg every quest to try to impress people with how they got back to cap in 3 days or whatever. And then .. they're "bored" again.

Unfortunately they're stuck in a trap and can't recognize that their boredom is of their own making, while simultaneously deriding those who actually want to play as "flower sniffers". The obsession with only picking people with perfectly optimized levels and gear is part of it.
    Last edited by Qaliya; 09-18-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Hehe, yeah it was funny to be accepted then dismissed from a ToD of all things, lol. Then I sent a /tell to RL and response was my HP and SP were too low. Now this was back when cap was 20. I was a pure Elf wizzy with over 400 hp, no buffs, no form. I know it's going back but it still is one of the funniest moments to me. The next time I saw a group up was with some friends, joined, and just tore the place apart. (man I miss old wail).

Thing is, it happens. It sure sucks when it does, but it happens to all of us. But, to the OP it does happen tho my next tip would be to forgoe that Banishment DC in that quest and really look into Greater Shout. It really makes a difference.
    Even better, I was often kicked out of parties because I had too much HP on my 1st life dorf PM (little over 600 in U9 times).

'We don't need idiots who took toughness 7 times and put all stat increases into con noob!'

Having more HP than barbs was really entertaining back then.

Wait, people are still pugging and being exclusive about it? Takes me back to several years ago when leaders could afford to be really picky. Just yesterday was pugging and just one group in level range at any given time, played with mostly the same group of players all night. I honestly think we've passed the point where you have to worry about the person pugging because the only people I still come across in the pug scene are grizzled vets to invested in the game to quit, not new people. And casting DCs on a level 14 quest? Seriously, for banish? That's a new one for me.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Even better, I was often kicked out of parties because I had too much HP on my 1st life dorf PM (little over 600 in U9 times).

'We don't need idiots who took toughness 7 times and put all stat increases into con noob!'

Having more HP than barbs was really entertaining back then.
    My wizard does that now. I think the standards of barbs are slipping, because I can see another possible 60 hp to lodge on him.

I did find that it is always about playing style. Many players is trying to zerg ahead despite of how good their gear is. Many times we were wiped when everyone ran toward to group of monsters. "Kite them one by one," i am writing this into chat while running with the devils. No, they triggered dungeon alert(!). My Fascinate always works - and it is always useless in such groups.

Every quest played on elite can be easy finished with a piece of strategy added to the playing style. This is not timed race.

I am not good in grinding for good equipment. I did not find any fun in grinding. I am using crafted or random looted gear and I am too lazy to reorganize bonuses on my toon. On LVL 18, my toon has only 300HP(!) and +10 is max ability bonus (CHA,DEX) . I know that i can be better, but for what? Most death are from traps or from deadly spells - this is about luck.

I was rejected only twice in my whole DDO experience. The reason - HPs. It were some zerging groups anyway.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    Wait, people are still pugging and being exclusive about it? Takes me back to several years ago when leaders could afford to be really picky. Just yesterday was pugging and just one group in level range at any given time, played with mostly the same group of players all night. I honestly think we've passed the point where you have to worry about the person pugging because the only people I still come across in the pug scene are grizzled vets to invested in the game to quit, not new people. And casting DCs on a level 14 quest? Seriously, for banish? That's a new one for me.
    There are quite a few new players on Thelanis.
    Idk on what server he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Fun? What does fun have to do with this?

and zerg every quest to try to impress people with how they got back to cap in 3 days or whatever. And then .. they're "bored" again.

t.
    3 days is suppose to impress people?

Community Member

If it wasn't about the bolded part at all, there was no need for you to bring it up.

Long and short you joined what an Elite run of Running with the Devils prolly posted by a TR group and are suprised that as an unknown to them that they questioned your ability to bring something to the table. I can't say I feel really bad for ya.

First, yes you can faceroll that quest with a 1st lifer caster. I did so personally as a Pale Master, ducking light bolts as I went. Quest knowledge helped alot, but please don't post such silliness as 'unless you take it real slow.' Garbage. There are ways to do it. You have yet to find them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. And yes they all lie within the realm of legitimate play.

Second, knowing the quest in general more and what a caster can bring to the table you could laugh off the DC of your Banishment and instead explore the DC of your Greater Shout.

Third, you gotta get used to it. Casters are really fun to play and can really make a run smooth if done right. Sadly, alot of folk have come and gone that just played like morons, leaving some to ask questions of folks that app to their groups. Personally, I will let anyone join and prove with their deed over their /tells but some want to hear something to ease their conscience. Once you make a decent name for yourself, it will be easier to join groups later in game. But, we gotta pay dues from fools before that thought CC meant casting Fireball at fire immune mobs ><.

I've done my share of it, and so have most of the others on the boards. But, instead of sugar coating it. I am saying toughen up butter cup and if twists really didn't bother you, you would not have mentioned them.
    Dude, what planet are you from? What Elite RwtD TR run would put up an LFM for lvl 14s. Nice troll.

Novice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Dude, what planet are you from? What Elite RwtD TR run would put up an LFM for lvl 14s. Nice troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    My toon was L16, 2 rogue splash.
    *Edit: for RwtD web should work if you don't have greater shout or the SR to beat them for FoD / CoD.
    Last edited by thegreatneil; 09-18-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    You'll bend to my will - With or without your precious sanity.

Neilus Soul of the Phoenix - Completionist - Orien

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Everyone who is more effective than me is OP, and should be nerfed.
    Everyone who has more stuff than me cheated to get it, and should be punished.
    Everyone who plays differently to me is a bad person, and should be mistreated.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Dreppo View Post
    The leader might have replied "As a level 14 wizard you don't have access to Greater Shout, so you're either lying to try to get into the group or you don't even know your own spell list". And then the leader would have rejected him from the group.
    Hah true enough. I glossed over the level 14 bit. Even, as a first lifer I don't hit vale before 16-18. Just getting favor and flagging for everything prior to that should put you in range, esp if you are unlucky with sigil drops from orchard.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Wasn't a troll. It was a guess at what happened filling in the blanks. OP said he ran into an overly selective PL for RWTD. I have seen that happen the most with TR groups and/or those emulatiing them. Who knows all the details. The PL could've had the level range set to 16-16, and the OP sent a /tell asking if they minded taking a level 14. The party leader could've neglected to adjust the level range and was level 16 and the default set it to 14-18. I don't recommend vale as early as lvl 14 (even though when it was released the cap was just raised from 14 to 16 and plenty of 14 and fresh 15s were running that content) but advice is still sound, as a first lifer wizzy getting one more level before hitting that quest and obtaining a valuable spell is worth the wait.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    Hmmm. I don't think I've ever cast banish. Or even learnt it. Can't wait to TR my PM and join pugs

My PM is unguilded and I play her very badly. Got told I was expected to die first in eh Von 5 (and didn't). Have yet to be declined pointedly but I live in hope.

OP thank you for the informative thread
    In the Vale, Banish, Dismiss, and FoD are your best friends.

Community Member

Wasn't a troll. It was a guess at what happened filling in the blanks. OP said he ran into an overly selective PL for RWTD. I have seen that happen the most with TR groups and/or those emulatiing them. Who knows all the details. The PL could've had the level range set to 16-16, and the OP sent a /tell asking if they minded taking a level 14. The party leader could've neglected to adjust the level range and was level 16 and the default set it to 14-18. I don't recommend vale as early as lvl 14 (even though when it was released the cap was just raised from 14 to 16 and plenty of 14 and fresh 15s were running that content) but advice is still sound, as a first lifer wizzy getting one more level before hitting that quest and obtaining a valuable spell is worth the wait.
    LFM was 16-18, I was level 16, (14/2). It's not my first life, and my webs can hold the mobs in elite Monastery of the Scorpion. I decided to try the route of webbing everything in place this life. In Rainbow my tactic was to drop a web, run up, gather all the ele's/rust monsters bring them back to the web and firewall/acid rain. It was just me and another like minded player who decided to not pug it. Only thing that gave us problems was the beholder boss.

I joined an elite shroud, was the lowest level toon, lowest life. They were having a hard time filling, and I sent the PL a tell asking about joining. He was cool about it, there was a little good natured banter about my stone in part 4/5 At the end of part4 it was only me and about 4 others alive, and we managed to res everyone before moving on to part 5.

I'm 15/2 now, so I do have Greater Shout, and am using it. Great spell, thanks for the advice/comments on that one. I probably wouldn't have thought to look at it otherwise.
    Last edited by TheGardes; 09-18-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast