Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

My personal favorite party rejection was the PL telling me I had to have X HP to run the quest or he was going to kick me. I dropped group and solod the quest on elite. I was 3/4 done before they ever got started. I had a guildy in the group, and he kept me posted on how they were doing, turns out, the PL, who had more than the expected HP was the first one to die. Gotta love those.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    No, doesn't really bother me. I brought it up as I couldn't figure out how to get my dc's any higher, or into the "low end of this elite range"... and it turns out the only way it seems to be done is to use the twists. I've maxed int, greater spell focus, and have extra DC from enhancements. One of my wands gives me +2 dc on enchant or conjuration (based on which wand I use for what I'm casting.. web vs dancing ball).

So when I'm rejected because my DCs are "laughable" it really did make me stop and wonder if I've missed the boat on something. I mentioned the twists as the next wizzie I ran with got his "decent" DCs from twists. If I've missed something in what I've written, you sound like the type of person who would surely know.

I posted as it seems the posters here are claiming that ddo is dying. Ever stop to think one of the reasons is most LFMs say "byoh" or "know it" ?

I think the epic levels were bad. very bad, and they're moving into WoW territory. It will kill DDO if they keep doing this. just mo.
    Well as to the posters that claim DDO is Dying (well yes I do believe it has hit it's high mark and is wanning, that wanning time is still to be determined, there is alot of life left in the game) and yes I thought of those LFMs. I ran a completionist and never once posted one of those type of LFMs, I may have added some things that were inside jokes that not all got but I was never really selective while leveling. It really wasn't that hard, just time consuming.

If that twisty thing doesnt bother you, good. It will soon go away, then maybe someone will tell me how it's done, lol. I dunno never needed it. But, I made my post because you can get solid DCs as a 1st lifer if you chose your spells, easy as a wizzy.

I wonder how the reaction would have been if you /tell that party leader: "Meh my Banishment DC is decent but my Greater Shout will make all of them stunned and unable to move." Just food for thought.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

His loss.

I squelch jerks with those kind of stupid questions.
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Id have asked him for the breakdown, and if he got snotty about it, Id tell him I soloed my way through 1/3rd of it in the time he took to argue about it.

Then wed get to see if the discussion was about twists or not.

Banishment: (DC = spell's save DC - creature's Hit Die + caster level.)

So:
    10 start
    7 highest level of spell @ 14
    14 caster level
    3 feat focus, greater focus, active past life
    2 item
    13 mod @ 36 int (18 + 3 tome + 3 level ups + 6 item + 3 shroud item = 33 @ level 14. Im saying 34 for human or drow might even have 36 - 38 for multiple trees of int)
    -----------------------------------
    Then its minus mob hit dice, which gets figured in when you cast it on the specific mob.

What did I forget? Archmage DCs, and???

I better see a shroud scepter in his hand or I better see a better breakdown. Never seen LOWER than a 52? Hey farvah, whats that place we go to with the cheese sticks and the stuff all over the walls?

Shenanigans?

/several pistols get handed over.

OP. either your group leader was uber and expected everyone else to be likewise, or you stumbled onto one of those twisploitation flicks from the mid 70s.
    Last edited by Chai; 09-17-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post

Never seen LOWER than a 52? Hey farvah, whats that place we go to with the cheese sticks and the stuff all over the walls?

Shenanigans?
    Oh dude, not saying at all the PL wasn't talking out his arse. Prolly never played a caster before and was spouting off numbers. Last I ran thru there as a caster DC 40ish Evocation for Greater Shout stopped them dead, same DC for Necro insta killed anything that didnt have a chance to get a Dward. PL was clearly a story-teller.

At least the times I was booted from group the PL/RL told me it was because I had too low HP/SP. SP is my issue I'll drink a pot if needed. HP also my problem I watch myself as a caster. Funny how I was dismissed from easy stuff like ToD and all they saw was my HP and never once asked my Necro DC (this was back pre-wail nerf). Yes the character was able to destroy ToD trash easily while healing itself, as proved by other runs.

But that's what I mean, we all go through it. Even, grizzly old vets. Don't sweat it, move on, learn and have fun.
    Git off mah lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    Oh dude, not saying at all the PL wasn't talking out his arse. Prolly never played a caster before and was spouting off numbers. Last I ran thru there as a caster DC 40ish Evocation for Greater Shout stopped them dead, same DC for Necro insta killed anything that didnt have a chance to get a Dward. PL was clearly a story-teller.

At least the times I was booted from group the PL/RL told me it was because I had too low HP/SP. SP is my issue I'll drink a pot if needed. HP also my problem I watch myself as a caster. Funny how I was dismissed from easy stuff like ToD and all they saw was my HP and never once asked my Necro DC (this was back pre-wail nerf). Yes the character was able to destroy ToD trash easily while healing itself, as proved by other runs.

But that's what I mean, we all go through it. Even, grizzly old vets. Don't sweat it, move on, learn and have fun.
    Yeah the whole HP era is just as bad as the whole DC era. HP right now is the best cover up for a /fail build. If you took a buncha toughness and an epic toughness feat, along with mental toughness 2x and a epic mental toughness, youd have gotten in there, and performed far worse than someone who augments their DCs and spell pen with the same feat slots. Kinda ironic that we see all these threads hating on heal sponges, because clearly that's what the "hp = uber" crowd wants in their groups.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    My personal favorite party rejection was the PL telling me I had to have X HP to run the quest or he was going to kick me. I dropped group and solod the quest on elite. I was 3/4 done before they ever got started. I had a guildy in the group, and he kept me posted on how they were doing, turns out, the PL, who had more than the expected HP was the first one to die. Gotta love those.
    How much hp did you have?

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Yeah the whole HP era is just as bad as the whole DC era. HP right now is the best cover up for a /fail build. If you took a buncha toughness and an epic toughness feat, along with mental toughness 2x and a epic mental toughness, youd have gotten in there, and performed far worse than someone who augments their DCs and spell pen with the same feat slots. Kinda ironic that we see all these threads hating on heal sponges, because clearly that's what the "hp = uber" crowd wants in their groups.
    Hehe, yeah it was funny to be accepted then dismissed from a ToD of all things, lol. Then I sent a /tell to RL and response was my HP and SP were too low. Now this was back when cap was 20. I was a pure Elf wizzy with over 400 hp, no buffs, no form. I know it's going back but it still is one of the funniest moments to me. The next time I saw a group up was with some friends, joined, and just tore the place apart. (man I miss old wail).

Thing is, it happens. It sure sucks when it does, but it happens to all of us. But, to the OP it does happen tho my next tip would be to forgoe that Banishment DC in that quest and really look into Greater Shout. It really makes a difference.
    Git off mah lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulstorm View Post
    i got rejected from a CitW the other day for being a non~juggernaut artie. I guess I was double bad because I was told fleshy arties suck and he didnt want to carry my soulstone or have me sucking sp from the healers. Evidently he's never heard of umd or heal scrolls, but I just moved on. Saved me from a crappy run full of yelling at the healer and the lag blame game I'm sure.
    Wow. Clearly that is a person who does not know what fleshie arties are capable of. On my fleshie artie, I tanked the Reaver in EH TOR without difficulties, while contributing damage to the Dracolich.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    I had 198, and he wanted 200...

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Is there any question that can't be answered with "Batman"? I submit that there is not.

Bah DC bites I submit Wolverine for the answer or failing that Chuck Norris.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    He had over 9000!!!! And that was after he took an arrow in the knee!
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Thing is, it happens. It sure sucks when it does, but it happens to all of us. But, to the OP it does happen tho my next tip would be to forgoe that Banishment DC in that quest and really look into Greater Shout. It really makes a difference.
    Heh for that quest on a first lifer it really doesn't matter what your dc is, first lifers are going to have a hard time getting thru their sr with things like banishment, fod, etc. Greater shout is the way to go in there for anyone that doesn't have some spell pen past lives.

Default Knock It outa tha park USKA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Bah DC bites I submit Wolverine for the answer or failing that Chuck Norris.
    Yeah. I just love party leaders who just gotta have that perfect party. Minute I get quizzed I request they decline. I refuse to beg to join a party. Any decent leader will invite you into the party to ask you questions, if necessary.

Say no to begging!!!!

I once had some tool (party leader) who asked why did I have 2 lvls of ftr in my cleric, and he wanted to know If he could "count" on my heals for him. So, instead I asked him if was he able to swing a weapon and hit anything... (he was melee), and after a brief pause, he asked 'what?', and I replied I didn't heal party's with lame wanna be tanks. I got a ***?!?! and a fast decline... YEAH!!!

EVIL.... cause its GOOD to be so BAD

Quote Originally Posted by TheGardes View Post
    I wanted to join a group the other day and the leader asked me what my DCs were.

Well, I'm a L14 Wizard, so I looked at the banish icon on my hotbar and said "44 for banish"

To which the leader said "I've never heard of a DC for banish being under 52" and promptly rejected my join request.

Seriously, a L14 Wizard is supposed to have a banish DC over 52? I'm guessing 52 was lame by his standards.

I later ran with another wizard who's DCs were really high and asked how he got them.. turns out he achieved his by using several ED twists.

So the new norm for being allowed into groups is to use "features" and have several past lives?

On a somewhat related topic, it seems that every mob now has evasion, as well as really high saves. Oh, and for all of the "heroic levels are a joke" people, they aren't a joke if you're not a multi-TR, uber-geared, ED twister. Some are certainly harder than others, and I had to laugh when 4 twisties died in our group and the 2 non-twisties managed to complete.

Just one question: did the PL mention anything about not giving clerics Stoneskin...?

Hehe, yeah it was funny to be accepted then dismissed from a ToD of all things, lol. Then I sent a /tell to RL and response was my HP and SP were too low. Now this was back when cap was 20. I was a pure Elf wizzy with over 400 hp, no buffs, no form. I know it's going back but it still is one of the funniest moments to me. The next time I saw a group up was with some friends, joined, and just tore the place apart. (man I miss old wail).

I remember this happening a few weeks ago, for EH von5-6 we are about 2/3 full and getting ready to go in and the leader notices the wizard has 400 hp at level 20, its a first life elf pm, out of form and immediately just out of the blue dismisses him. We immediately ask him why he did that, oh the hps where too low, I dont like to carry dead weight........................ well that wizards friends left, the rest of the party got ****ed off with him and left formed our own group and when we completed his lfm was still up with just him in it. I was told that this guy dies a lot, but I do see his lfms up and often they got unfriendly stuff in them, No noobs, have so much hp,. know it!!!! for the easyiest quests and raids. And yeah I might be a prick but if I want to run something and I see he has an lfm up for it I will put my own up if there is no others I don't want to group with someone like that even if it means putting up a competing lfm.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    I remember this happening a few weeks ago, for EH von5-6 we are about 2/3 full and getting ready to go in and the leader notices the wizard has 400 hp at level 20, its a first life elf pm, out of form and immediately just out of the blue dismisses him. We immediately ask him why he did that, oh the hps where too low, I dont like to carry dead weight........................ well that wizards friends left, the rest of the party got ****ed off with him and left formed our own group and when we completed his lfm was still up with just him in it. I was told that this guy dies a lot, but I do see his lfms up and often they got unfriendly stuff in them, No noobs, have so much hp,. know it!!!! for the easyiest quests and raids. And yeah I might be a prick but if I want to run something and I see he has an lfm up for it I will put my own up if there is no others I don't want to group with someone like that even if it means putting up a competing lfm.
    That's just sad for it being that raid. I've done hp limits etc but only on quests that were at that time the newest and hardest in the game, old epic lob etc. EH von5/6 give me a break, a 1 legged armless halfling can come along in that raid.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    The odd part if that EH VON is one of those raids where you can have about a quarter of the party piking, and it would STILL get done in record time. Cripes, half of the time when I join, five people already have a good portion of the quest already done.

Some people really need to take a chill pill.

(Although I am assuming that the quest was being done on EH...)

Community Member

You will quickly learn in this game that the people that ask the most questions like that tend to be the worst players. I have found that when the LFM says "know it" more often than not the person that posted the LFM doesn't know it and was hoping to get someone that does so he could follow that person. Likewise, if someone needs to know your DC's and you are not about to start an epic elite quest then the person asking is probably a very poor quality player that is hoping to get really good people into his group so he can pike. 44 is a fine DC for banishment at level 14. The expectation of 99% of the population is not that you have twists in heroic levels. And any player worth his salt can beat any level 14 quest even if the 5 worst players in the game join his group, thus there is no reason to ask build questions about the people joining. Rest assured his group would have been terrible and whatever group you joined (or started yourself) instead likely went much better.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Hmmm. I don't think I've ever cast banish. Or even learnt it. Can't wait to TR my PM and join pugs

My PM is unguilded and I play her very badly. Got told I was expected to die first in eh Von 5 (and didn't). Have yet to be declined pointedly but I live in hope.

OP thank you for the informative thread
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast