Default Build Advice: Arcane Archer 18/1/1 Split Viable?

I'm just getting back to playing a bit, and am trying to sort out the new Enhancement system.

My main is an Elf pure Ranger Arcane Archer, currently level 19. No past lives (yeah, I level sloooow). +4 to all stats tome. 32 point build. I'm trying to decide what to do with her, and any help from the community is welcome.

On to the question at hand: I'm trying to decide between going pure Ranger, or between taking 1 Fighter and 1 Rogue level. Monk splits are off the table, despite the advantages of 10k Stars.

Going pure Ranger will get me the Arcane Archer capstone, but I've read that the capstone isn't as useful as it looks because of the reduction on double shot after using Manyshot, and that the imbue twisting function is bugged. Aside from that, the last two Ranger levels don't offer a whole lot.

One level of Fighter gets me an extra Feat and access to Haste Boost for less AP than getting it from the Tempest tree. I want to go for both Overwhelming Crit and Combat Archery, so the extra Feat will be useful.

One level of Rogue gets me UMD as a class skill, and more skill points which will be good since Heal is now worth taking. The die of Sneak Attack will go nicely with the Sneak Attack dice from Deepwood Stalker.

For Feats, I was thinking:

1) Point Blank Shot
    3) Power Attack
    6) Toughness
    9) Improved Critical: Ranged
    12) Precision
    15) Cleave
    18) Empowered Healing
    20/F1) Great Cleave

21) Overwhelming Critical
    24) Combat Archery
    26) Perfect TWF
    27) Blinding Speed
    28) Doubleshot

I'm thinking that the Empowered Healing would be more useful than a melee version of Improved Critical. The build should have decent enough melee damage without it.

Another advantage to this Feat setup is that I can respec Enhancements from AA/DWS to Tempest/DWS if I wanted to melee instead of range.

Finally, this will be a STR build, not using the Elf Grace enhancement.

So, is my thinking sound here? Assuming I want a mostly Ranger AA, without Monk? Or are there upsides to pure Ranger that I'm overlooking?
    Last edited by Twidger; 09-17-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Default Enhancements

Here's what I've got so far for Enhancements:

Elf (19)
    Tier 0:
    Elven Accuracy
    Elven Dexterity
    Elven Accuracy
    Elven Dexterity
    Elven Accuracy
    Tier 1:
    Aerenal Weapon Training
    Tier 2:
    Aerenal Weapon Training
    Enchantment Lore 3/3
    Tier 3:
    Aerenal Weapon Training
    Feywild Tap 3/3

Arcane Archer (43)
    Tier 0:
    Arcane Archer
    Morphic Arrows
    Metalline Arrows
    Aligned Arrows
    Shadow Arrows
    Tier 1:
    Conjure Arrows
    Corrosive Arrows
    Tier 2:
    Force Arrows 3/3
    Inferno Shot 3/3
    Flaming Arrows
    Tier 3:
    Terror Arrows 1/3
    Soul Magic
    Frost Arrows
    Tier 4:
    Banishing Arrows
    Paralyzing Arrows 1/3
    Smiting Arrows
    Shock Arrows
    Tier 5:
    Moonbow
    Arrow of Slaying
    Improved Elemental Arrows
    Runebow

Deepwood Stalker (14)
    Tier 0:
    Far Shot
    Sneak Attack
    Sniper Shot
    Tier 1:
    Stealthy 3/3
    Increased Empathy 3/3
    Versatile Empathy 2/2

Kensei (4)
    Tier 0:
    Kensei Focus: Archery
    Tier 1:
    Haste Boost 3/3

Viable? Yes.

Optimal? No.

If you want to be mostly ranger that AA capstone is very nice.

Over all I think the monk AAs are stronger at this time. Yes, it's dumb but it is what it is.

Hmm, just thought of something: I wonder what the impact on overall AP would be if I went AA through Elf instead of Ranger? Could get the Fighter and Rogue levels and the capstone, but I wonder if it'd leave enough APs to get everything I want from other trees, like sneak attack and positive energy boost from DWS, and haste boost from Kensei...

Edit: Ugh, that'd short me 6 AP... scratch that idea.
    Last edited by Twidger; 09-17-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Under your feats you listed Power Attack twice.

You definitely want doubleshot, as although Manyshot is supposed to disable DS for a while after activation, it doesn't for long enough to remove the need for the extra shots during the rest of Manyshot's cooldown. It's less useful on a monkcher, because 10K Stars also (is supposed to) disables DS chance, and if you're cycling that with MS, you would have only a few seconds every 2 minutes during which you'd be getting doubleshots. On a pure ranger, you'd be looking at almost a minute and a half. Now, if you plan on meleeing a lot when you aren't Manyshotting, then it's less useful.

Going with the elf AA probably costs too much to be worthwhile if you can just get the tree as a ranger.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Under your feats you listed Power Attack twice.
    Oops, supposed to be Precision.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm just going to go with straight Ranger 20 DEX build*. I can't really take Monk levels without getting an alignment change, so not going to do that on this life. I typically solo, and most stuff dies to ranged before it gets to me anyway, so the doubleshot would help for that play style. Scimitars only come out to finish off mobs or in tight quarters.

That said, should I dump more points into Arcane Archer tree? Is it worth the AP expense to take Paralyzing shot to 3/3? I have no idea if the save level at 3/3 is worth the investment. Also, it seems a lot of people like to pick up Dispelling Shot and Shattermantle Shot to have more click shots to maintain a rotation during Manyshot cooldown. Is this worth it? How many APs should I invest in those if I take them? The APs are a little tight with all of the options available.

Thanks.

*It looks like it's pretty even with the commendation gear I'm going to have on hitting 20 between STR and DEX for damage. I don't have access to raid gear, and probably won't for a long time, so DEX may be the way to go with the new enhancements (for me).
    Last edited by Twidger; 09-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Since you've already taken a +4 Supreme tome, I would stick with STR-based; base DEX 17 + 4 tome qualifies you for Combat Archery and going STR-based gives you the option of picking up Overwhelming Crit. And also means you don't have to spend 16 APs to pick up elven Grace, giving you more flexibility with what to do with your pts; esp. if you MC and end up needing to take the elven AA enhs.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Since you've already taken a +4 Supreme tome, I would stick with STR-based; base DEX 17 + 4 tome qualifies you for Combat Archery and going STR-based gives you the option of picking up Overwhelming Crit. And also means you don't have to spend 16 APs to pick up elven Grace, giving you more flexibility with what to do with your pts; esp. if you MC and end up needing to take the elven AA enhs.
    I decided to go DEX for now, b/c I'll get more damage bonus that way with my current gear. I'll farm some stuff for my next life, and go with a Monk split next life to see how I like that. So, epic feats probably won't figure into things this life.

What I'm really wondering is if the +20 wood will persist through a TR. It's an item, so it seems like it should. On the other hand, the intent for them was to fix current builds, so they may poof if you TR.
    Last edited by Twidger; 09-22-2013 at 03:27 PM.