Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Weapons you want in DDO

A silly question maybe... but where are the katanas? Like... wouldn't it be cool for a kensai to have a katana?

We have shurikens and such but Katanas are THE iconic oriental styled weapon.

Greensteel longswords are stylized as katanas.

The skin also drops as lootgen, and several other named items.

I would like spears that can be wielded in melee or thrown as they should be. I would like daggers to have that same treatment. I would like to see all the double weapons that are in the players handbook.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    I would like spears that can be wielded in melee or thrown as they should be.
    I'd be quite happy with just a longspear. Javelins aren't really a qualitative lack as there are thrown piercing weapons already, but there are, IIRC, no two-handed piercing weapons except for two or so named quarterstaves.

One thing that'd be just nifty would be the great pick. There aren't any exotic two-hand melee weapons now, are there? (I wonder if my copy of Darklands is still good... I should even have a working floppy drive somewhere... there the "maul" was blunt on one side and piercing on the other, and was the best melee weapon in that game for those with the skill to wield it.) So... exotic proficiency, piercing two-hander with a x4 multiplier? Should be somewhat popular but probably not overpowered?

BTW, I do feel a lot of things about the weapons are quite silly... like how the sickle is supposedly a simple weapon (ever tried to use one for real?) and somehow a kama is not a sickle... and a hand axe is not a simple weapon? Oh well, it's a fantasy game, any relationship with the real world at all is only coincidental.
    Last edited by mna; 09-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

scorpion whip and spiked chain... oh and spears (whether they be throwable or not).

There are named spears. Look at Sireth and Rahl's Might.

No, they are not throwable though. They are not Javelins.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

I would like real vorpals, smiters, disrupters and banishers that work without an artificial mob hp constraint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddodoesitagain View Post
    I would like real vorpals, smiters, disrupters and banishers that work without an artificial mob hp constraint.
    That's not going to happen since those weapons were available before and were considered to be OP. If there is a cost of using a real vorpal weapon; say, you loose 50 HP every time you swing a real vorpal weapon, that might happen. So, in an attack chain, that's 4x 50HP = 200HP cost.

A momentum swing, cleave, or great cleave is going to be considered as an attack chain and therefore costs 4x 50 = 200HP.

The name might be changing though. It might be called "Vorpal Vicious".

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

Default What weapons do I want?

A fully automatic 12 ga. machete.
    Seriously though.
    A Greatbow would be nice for starters.
    I want to be able to fire arrows the size of telephone poles at my foes.

Valenar Double-Scimitar
    Talenta Sharrash
    Xen'Drik Boomerang
    Two-Bladed Sword
    Orc Double-Axe
    Slings
    Pole-arms
    Scythe

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    Greensteel longswords are stylized as katanas.

The skin also drops as lootgen, and several other named items.
    Ahhh.. so they are....

I want an endgame named item katana tho... hehe....

Default On my list:

The Arquebus (AD&D 2e PHB iirc) could be a fun exotic flavor weapon, especially if Gnomes were introduced as the Dragonlance style "tinker gnomes." It was a musketish gun that did 1d10 damage and on the roll of 10 you rolled again adding to the previous number (until you stop rolling ten). However, when the "to hit" roll scored a natural 1, it backfired doing it's damage to the wielder.

The two bladed sword and double axe would only need a slight animation adjustment from Qstaff mechanics.

*Nunchaku ("nunchuks" as they're commonly mispronounced) would be as functionally worthless to monks as kamas, but always look cool when properly animated! Same for escrima sticks.

*On that note, we need a feat to allow monks to do their full unarmed damage value when wielding "monk weapons."
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    A silly question maybe... but where are the katanas? Like... wouldn't it be cool for a kensai to have a katana?

We have shurikens and such but Katanas are THE iconic oriental styled weapon.
    A katana is simply a Japanese longsword. So, technically, those are in the game and they are called ... wait for it ... longswords. Some even have the gently curved blade graphic.
    Sarlona: Acaat || Ahchuykak || Anaiadeia || Atlacoya || Camalos || Coyopa || Gwylelwiel || Imahidden || Kisin || Pukuh || Temporarily

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post

Cosmetic spears only. I want a spear attack animation to go with actual spears. In 3.5 DnD both spears and javelins were throwable, I'm not asking for spears and javelins, I am asking for spears that can be used as a single weapon in both melee and thrown weapon combat. I am asking them to take some pride and do something that might be hard to accomplish with the game and do it anyway. I fully expect it to never ever happen.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-17-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Push for the next Realms quests to move into Kara-tur territory!

I did own the 2nd Edition "Complete Ninja Handbook" and there were all kinds of neat Eastern Weaponry rules. I think I'm seeing an influence in some of the current ninja spy enhancements.

I'd like to see Bastard Swords count completely as a two-handed weapon if you're only wielding on, with nothing in your main hand. Power attack bonus, and all that. They are called "hand-and-a-half" swords, you know, and the versatility of using them as either a two-hander or a one-hander with a shield could make for some more interesting playstyles.

Other things I'd like to see are polearms such as the oft-requested spears, halberds, poleaxes, and other more esoteric choices (Bec de Corbin, anyone?) which would give you a slightly longer reach, but give some sort of penalty when enemies get very close. I understand that the limitations of DDO's engine might not allow for such things, but it would still be pretty neat.

I'd also like to see us be able to use a buckler shield while using bows.
    Last edited by CheeseMilk; 09-17-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typo fix'd

Quote Originally Posted by Coyopa View Post
    A katana is simply a Japanese longsword. So, technically, those are in the game and they are called ... wait for it ... longswords. Some even have the gently curved blade graphic.
    To be fair, in pnp they were treated as Bastard swords with a 1d10 damage die, and could be wielded one or two handed (a feature missing from our existing Bswords!)
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Slings
    Oh yes.

What with lumps of coal already counting as "ammunition" IIRC, I'm surprised we don't have slings already.

What would be REALLY nifty though, is if a grenade-type special attack with a sling equipped would result in a longer range and/or flatter trajectory. You know, like with Tanglefoot/Thunderstone/Lightning Sphere/&c...
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Spears would be nice to have~

They are simple weapons, and druids are supposed to be proficient with them, I believe.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Ahhh.. so they are....

off the top of my head...

sirocco.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post

Those are not 'spears' they are quarterstaves that deal piercing damage. I am talking about real spears (as a weapon type) both a one handed version (can be used with a shield, possibly called a 'short spear' like in the PHB) and a two handed version (called a 'spear' or perhaps a 'long spear'). With their own attack animations (less twirling it around and striking with the haft, more poking, please).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast