Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Which weapon line for dwarf ranger (rogue splash too) and which Improved Critical?

Hi all,

I was just wondering... now that we have an alternative to the axe line, I got to thinking... is the alternative useful?

I mean, for TWF, there aren't any glancing blows anyway, and picks have the x4 multiplier. And then a bunch of mobs have either DR/bludgeon or other reason to use blunts (oozes...) and are largely immune to critical damage.

(I'm fairly sure most people who even consider sometimes using a shield when the situation calls for it, still want the axe line. Possibly also most THF, or are mauls competitive with greataxes?)

So, is there a downside to taking Imp Crit Pierce and the pick/hammer line, compared to going with the trusty old axe line and slash?

Does anyone have any relevant numbers here?

See, I have a bunch of dwarf rangers. (Hey, it was recommended for newbies at the time.) They of course all used axes until U19, but I'm thinking about respeccing/LRing them for the new system some time soonish now... I don't think the favored enemy thing has much meaning for the weapon line selection?

(Oh yes, mine are the "tempest trapmonkey" build so they occasionally get some sneak attack dice too. Except on a set of foes that... somehow seems to overlap with the immune-to-crit set a lot.)
    And no, I don't have any of Necropolis yet, so no Deathnips for me for a good while, but maybe some day...
    Last edited by mna; 09-17-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

If you don’t have access to Deathnips then I would stick with Dwarven Axes. At the very least you'll have something to look forward to when you level up Legendary Dreadnaught. (Headman’s Chop)
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

There are a lot more named axes than picks, and one of them, the Axe of Adaxus, has a x4 multiplier like a pick.

That being said, do what appeals to you. Viva variety.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The short answer: it depends.

The long answer: it depends on what gear you have access to, what your build is (in particular, are you getting any class-specific bonuses to crits?), and what your epic plans are (in terms of what ED & Twists you plan to use). Someone who's way better at crunching DPS numbers than me could probably tell you whether, say, Deathnips+Fury or Adaxus+Headman's Chop or Mornh+Pulverizer is better.

My view is, unless you've already picked out your GS / endgame gear in advance, go with whatever appeals to you most. Particularly on a rgr or a barb, usually the only weapon-specific feat you have is Improved Crit; it's easy enough to swap that out and reset your dwarf racial tree if/when you decide to switch weapon types.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The short answer: it depends.

The long answer: it depends on what gear you have access to, what your build is (in particular, are you getting any class-specific bonuses to crits?), and what your epic plans are (in terms of what ED & Twists you plan to use). Someone who's way better at crunching DPS numbers than me could probably tell you whether, say, Deathnips+Fury or Adaxus+Headman's Chop or Mornh+Pulverizer is better.

My view is, unless you've already picked out your GS / endgame gear in advance, go with whatever appeals to you most. Particularly on a rgr or a barb, usually the only weapon-specific feat you have is Improved Crit; it's easy enough to swap that out and reset your dwarf racial tree if/when you decide to switch weapon types.
    Well, I was mostly thinking about the bunch that are all still the old version of Tempest Trapmonkey / Dwarf. Haven't LR'd any of them yet.

I was thinking about the part where annoying kinds of enemies such as oozes, skeletons... and a lot of constructs (I try to get an aligned or chaotic adamantine warhammer at least for the main hand for those after reading EllisDee37's recipes thread)... get neither sneak attack nor racial weapon damage bonus with axes... zombies aren't a problem anyway. The other line boosting both hammers and picks is one more damage type to get bonuses with.

And I'm nowhere near epics nor even GS yet, myself. (Well, actually, at this rate it's possible I'll have enough points for the latter next time adventure packs go on sale, depending on how much of a sale... but probably not appropriate level for it yet.) But, I do hope that this kind of discussion would be beneficial for others too.

Say... now that you mentioned it, how does class-specific bonus to crits affect this anyway? Say, if I were to change one to a bard-based variant that gets Howl of the North, or a paladin with Exalted Smite...? Or even a fighter? (There's a dwarf rogue that I'll need to figure out a more self-sufficient build plan for, too... the 100 favor on Wayfinder one... groups can occasionally be sort of sparse there.)

I mean, axes and picks both only crit on a 20 normally, right?
    Last edited by mna; 09-18-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

For pallies, Exalted Smite & Divine Sacrifice still favor weapons with large crit ranges; so Deathnips, Mornh, or the drow hammer/duergar axe of the Weapon Master could be good options on a TWF dwarf, since they have twice the usual crit range of those weapon types.

Community Member

Deathnips is better for 1-20, and Adaxus is better for epics. Tested both on my dwarven barbarian 12 ranger 6 rogue 2 character. Adaxus in heroic is still pretty decent though, and you can get a Heroic Elite one for around 200-300k plat which might be easier then farming for double deathnips.

On a side note, 2 axe of adaxus look pretty cool.