Default Nothing is Hidden advice requested

Hi all,

Nothing is Hidden reads as follows:

Nothing Is Hidden: Your senses are so acute that you no longer need to spend time searching for the obvious. You will automatically perform a Search check to locate traps and secret doors when you are in range to Spot them, although this Search check occurs at a -12/-8/-4 penalty.

For those of you who have tried this,

1) Can I dump the spot skill? Or do I need to "spot" things first, and then the auto-search occurs?

2) If I max out search, have a decent intelligence (20ish), take 3 levels of keen sense (+3 search), and wear a search item that is level appropriate, will nothing is hidden work on elite quests?

Thanks for your thoughts.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

It doesn't require the spot skill its just searchs "at the range" where spot would normally go off but imo despite popular opinion you shouldn't dump spot not only does it allow you to find hidden doors, and traps it also allows you to see hidden enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    It doesn't require the spot skill its just searchs "at the range" where spot would normally go off but imo despite popular opinion you shouldn't dump spot not only does it allow you to find hidden doors, and traps it also allows you to see hidden enemies.
    Yeah, I do like that aspect of spot but I am only running a rogue splash, so keeping my all my skills up just won't happen for me. If I don't need spot to find traps and secret doors, then I'm getting rid of it in favor of UMD, search, and disable.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psteen1 View Post
    Yeah, I do like that aspect of spot but I am only running a rogue splash, so keeping my all my skills up just won't happen for me. If I don't need spot to find traps and secret doors, then I'm getting rid of it in favor of UMD, search, and disable.
    Fair enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by psteen1 View Post
    ya in this case I would dump spot
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Default This enhancement is #$*@!

Argh! Hopefully someone can help me. I swear I either don't understand how Nothing is Hidden works, or it is bugged.

Mira's sleepless night elite (level 8). I have a search of 35, and I have the third tier of nothing is hidden. That means my effective search should be 31. I can't find the blasted traps, though.

To do a little testing, I took off my search +10 googles, so I now have a search of 25. I actively search... and I find everything!

So to recap, when I actively search I find everything, even though in this case my search skill was actually higher when I was attempting to do the passive searching. Something isn't right.

I dumped spot and now I wonder if that was a mistake. Perhaps you DO need to spot something before you can passively search it. Or this enhancement is bugged. I already user my lesser rez to dump spot, I have no intention to lesser rez to pick spot up again and test this ****. Hoping someone can enlighten me. Meanwhile, I'm going to look at the unofficial known issues list.

Community Member

Others have said that it uses your Spot skill, not your Search, which I'm pretty sure is the case. It's either bugged or the description is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    Others have said that it uses your Spot skill, not your Search, which I'm pretty sure is the case. It's either bugged or the description is incorrect.
    It is probably bugged.

I just rolled a level 7 elf rogue to check if Spot was used instead of Search. I put no ranks in Search for a total of +9 with gear, and full ranks in Spot for a total of +22 with gear (including a Spot item), and I took Nothing Is Hidden at rank 3.

I entered The Bounty Hunter (level 6 quest) on normal, and while I got the "there's a trap nearby" Spot messages I didn't find any of the traps, neither with auto-detection (which is why I rule Spot out, I think +18 should be high enough for detecting traps in that quest on normal) nor with manual searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post
    It is probably bugged.

I just rolled a level 7 elf rogue to check if Spot was used instead of Search. I put no ranks in Search for a total of +9 with gear, and full ranks in Spot for a total of +22 with gear (including a Spot item), and I took Nothing Is Hidden at rank 3.

I entered The Bounty Hunter (level 6 quest) on normal, and while I got the "there's a trap nearby" Spot messages I didn't find any of the traps, neither with auto-detection (which is why I rule Spot out, I think +18 should be high enough for detecting traps in that quest on normal) nor with manual searching.
    After playing with it a bit more, I am pretty sure that both spot and search are required. Perhaps that is why in the enhancement description, those skills are Capitalized. That would be in line with what both of us are seeing in our tests.

I dumped spot, maxxed out search, and I couldn't get the ability to work.
    You dumped search, maxxed out spot, and you couldn't get it to work.

But what I did do was equip a +10 spot item, and then with my maxxed out search went into Bookbinder rescue (level 5 quest, traps everywhere), and Nothing is Hidden worked perfectly fine.

Thus my conclusion is that you need both skills.

My secondary conclusion is that Nothing is Hidden is not worth the 6 AP. Since you can't dump spot and save on skill points, all it really does is save you 1 second of active searching at each trap and secret door.

I have used this ability on two separate characters, both of whom started out with only a 14 Int. I do have a +4 tome of Int helping me out, but I completely dumped spot. I still put ranks in it because I had some skill points left over, but it was never necessary by any means. I do not wear a spot item, and I auto search nearly all of the traps in the game with a search item. Sometimes I won't actually see the box at first, but the trap is still detected, which is close enough for me. If you don't have the points to put in Spot, or you'd rather put them somewhere else--you'll be fine. The only reason spot is mentioned in the description is just to let you know how far away you need to be to have it work. If somehow it's still not working, I'd recommend taking the bonus to search from the Rogue mechanic tree. I have a 14 Ranger/1 Rogue and I didn't need to do it, but every class is different.

Another thing that's awesome about this ability--when I see the traps, so do all my party members. Trap deaths are a lot rarer than they were before.

EDIT: I wanted to mention that before ship buffs, I have a 53 Search and a 35 Spot. I am a Ranger now, my previous life was a fighter/pally/rogue, so her wisdom wasn't very stellar, but I was able to find everything at level 20 just fine. Every quest I do is elite with bravery.
    Last edited by thouston07; 10-21-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thouston07 View Post
    I have used this ability on two separate characters, both of whom started out with only a 14 Int. I do have a +4 tome of Int helping me out, but I completely dumped spot. I still put ranks in it because I had some skill points left over, but it was never necessary by any means. I do not wear a spot item, and I auto search nearly all of the traps in the game with a search item. Sometimes I won't actually see the box at first, but the trap is still detected, which is close enough for me. If you don't have the points to put in Spot, or you'd rather put them somewhere else--you'll be fine. The only reason spot is mentioned in the description is just to let you know how far away you need to be to have it work. If somehow it's still not working, I'd recommend taking the bonus to search from the Rogue mechanic tree. I have a 14 Ranger/1 Rogue and I didn't need to do it, but every class is different.

Another thing that's awesome about this ability--when I see the traps, so do all my party members. Trap deaths are a lot rarer than they were before.

EDIT: I wanted to mention that before ship buffs, I have a 53 Search and a 35 Spot. I am a Ranger now, my previous life was a fighter/pally/rogue, so her wisdom wasn't very stellar, but I was able to find everything at level 20 just fine. Every quest I do is elite with bravery.

My experience is that you must be able to spot it to auto-search it. If you dont have spot sufficient to get a warning you will still have to manually search to find the control boxes even if you have Nothing is Hidden. Is that WAI? I dont know.

You need spot to make it work. I think its a great enhancement.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

I've said this elsewhere, but where this enhancement really shines is searching while under attack. and while running with zergers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    I've said this elsewhere, but where this enhancement really shines is searching while under attack. and while running with zergers.
    Ran maze of madness the other day with my fellow guildy who was also an Arti but a WF. I could pop trap boxes and we both could take care of them.

If we would have had to wait for the WF to spot them it would have taken forever to run that quest. Now the trapping is up to DPS speed. If your an ELF anyway.

Its well worth it to have spot if you want to do traps.

The people that splash 2 lvls to trap are now getting what they really should get for just two lvls. As an Arti if i splash two lvls of Barb it doesnt mean i can tank.
    So if you wanna trap like a pro then keep spot and use the enhancement.
    If you just wanna be able to traps,dont use the enhancement as its a waste of points.