Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Once bards are un-nerfed, have them Dance the kobolds off a cliff, or into the lava pits of Tempest's Spine. And if they won't, let's get all casters to Sonic Blast them to death. I hate the little bastidges.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (26 Tempest), Heldre (17 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (13 Ranger), Alansa (22 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (26 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (16 Druid)

Simple it will end when Waterworks chain will go Epic. (Never)

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    Intimidating? Sure. Bright? Nope. Brutuss' fear was larger than his charisma and intelligence combined. All he ever wanted was to be certain of the future and his place in it. Mrs. F was an unknown variable who represented the worst of his nightmares; exposure and returning to the lab. He's actually quite a pitiful character.
    See, now I don't think so.

I will preface this by stating that I have, regrettably, never read the book (which I assume you have, referring to what I know as Mrs. Brisby as Mrs. F).

I see him as a character made just to test Mrs. B's courage, to prove her worth before being allowed into the heart of the Rose Bush. The fact that he allowed her to either run away or run into the waiting arms of Justin and Mr. Ages proves that. His only other appearance in the movie is him following Justin's orders without question while trying to deal with the danger of the falling block shows that he is, if nothing else, a very good soldier on the side of right.

I do regret never having read that book (I've never been able to track down a copy) but at least I can temper that by being happy that anyone got my reference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    See, now I don't think so.

I will preface this by stating that I have, regrettably, never read the book (which I assume you have, referring to what I know as Mrs. Brisby as Mrs. F).

I see him as a character made just to test Mrs. B's courage, to prove her worth before being allowed into the heart of the Rose Bush. The fact that he allowed her to either run away or run into the waiting arms of Justin and Mr. Ages proves that. His only other appearance in the movie is him following Justin's orders without question while trying to deal with the danger of the falling block shows that he is, if nothing else, a very good soldier on the side of right.

I do regret never having read that book (I've never been able to track down a copy) but at least I can temper that by being happy that anyone got my reference at all.
    Don Bluth's movie left out a great deal of the subtext and rather Disneyfied the whole story. It featured some really beautiful animation, however.

Brutus certainly acts as a Gatekeeper when his character is introduced but, while his overall role is secondary, he also embodies the "Every Rat" for purposes of the debate between Jenner and Nicodemus concerning The Plan which is a hot topic among the general populace. This role is reinforced when he is saved from the gas by Justin (probably) who displays self-sacrifice for the good of the whole.

Isn't it strange how these threads turn out? From kobold abuse to a discussion of classic children's literature in less than three pages. We are, if nothing else, a diverse group of people.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123