Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Are traps harder to disable once triggered?

I was in a zerg run the other day and zerged ahead and triggered a trap.

The party leader got upset because I triggered a trap, he said traps are harder to disable once triggered.

Is this true? I think he was full of it, but thought I would ask the community.

Needless to say I squelched him I do not like playing with people who have an arrogant attitude. He wants a zerg run but then he doesn't want people to run ahead of him, classic.

As far as I know, the DC of a trap doesn't change at all whether it's triggered or not. I've never noticed it being any harder to disarm them.

Community Member

It doesn't increase the Disable Check of the trap, though you should be careful as it can make them fire directly on the box, causing it to be harder to disable without evasion. One of the house Deneith Depths series has a trap like this, 3 acid blasting things shooting at the box. You can walk up to it and disable, but step past the box and it starts firing. Kind of hard to get to once its shooting.

Depends on the trap. There are quite a few trap boxes that are located after, or in the middle of a trap. Setting off the trap before the rogue/artificer can get past that trap could cause an issue for sure. In The Depths of Doom for example, there is a short wall that is split into halves, with a blade trap in the middle. As soon as someone crosses over, or on the side of that area, the blade trap activates. Unfortunately for the Trapper, the box is located up top, on the other side of the of the trap. Meaning, the Trapper has to stick their body over the blade trap the entire time to disable the trap. At level, on Elite (or even Hard), that can mean one bad save roll away from becoming a paper weight soul stone. There are also many traps where the box is on the other side of the trap. Once the trap is activated, it can be difficult to try and time it right, to run to the other side, once the trap is activated. That's more of a personal mental thing though.

So yes, you could have screwed the rest of the party by setting it off. Or... it could just be someone who isn't too secure about their character build, when it comes to surviving a trap. But I have to say, this is my personal opinion, based on playing a straight Rogue, with no multi-classing. A multi-classed character, could have legitimate concerns about traps, if their saves are lower than a pure class.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBlaze View Post
    The party leader got upset because I triggered a trap, he said traps are harder to disable once triggered.
    No. This is an urban myth and has been part of DDO for as long as I've been playing. There is no change in the difficulty check.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    No. This is an urban myth and has been part of DDO for as long as I've been playing. There is no change in the difficulty check.
    Wait, so you mean using Diplomacy on chests DOESN'T increase the loot...?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianna View Post

No, that one works. I was there when it happened. That's a true story I just made up.

Nope you have to kill a halfling with a potion of wonder on top of the chest for the loot to increase.

Community Member

No of course not. It's Bluff that convinces them to give up the goods.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Did you open the chest of the rare troll in von 3, or one of the xorian cypher chests? If so, naughty OP.
    Last edited by Deathdefy; 09-17-2013 at 12:47 AM.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    No, that one works. I was there when it happened. That's a true story I just made up.
    That one was actually a rumor back when the game was in its infancy. People were convinced that diploing a chest would allow better loot rewards. Fun times. Back when Threnal was the end-game, and a +5 sword was the ultimate weapon.

Community Member

That one was actually a rumor back when the game was in its infancy. People were convinced that diploing a chest would allow better loot rewards. Fun times. Back when Threnal was the end-game, and a +5 sword was the ultimate weapon.
    Threnal was endgame... I feel sorry for everyone who lived in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Nope you have to kill a halfling with a potion of wonder on top of the chest for the loot to increase.
    In Undermine, will planting a droaam explosive, running out, closing the gate and making everyone but me die increase loot level?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    In Undermine, will planting a droaam explosive, running out, closing the gate and making everyone but me die increase loot level?
    No. But you should do it anyways.
    Old forum names (that I can't use anymore because of forum changes): Lehmu, Kanttura.
    I play Iioi, Feira, Shrtguy Stabsalot, Hjeelmee Nao, Kesib, Eisiishai, Iioo, Iiio & Havesword Will Travel on Argonnessen.
    I'm also in youtube.

As others have stated: No, it doesn't make the traps disable DC increase, but yes it can make some traps more difficult to disable because of the effects of the trap itself (depending on the trap in question)... it can become more of an issue if your group's trap disabler doesn't have evasion (say you are relying on a straight artificer).

We do have the WIKI for things like this.

http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_informat...raps_and_locks

DC to spot, search and dd changes only with difficulty

Community Member

Thanks for all the replies a lot of good information.

The quest was Delaras part four, in the room where the spikes come out of the floor. I don't think the issue was him having trouble disabling it.

He just had a bad attitude and implied that by me not knowing something common to the game was making me a liability to the quest and his XP per minute.

I was 99 percent he was full of it, just wasn't worth arguing over.

Quote Originally Posted by viktorserak View Post
    Threnal was endgame... I feel sorry for everyone who lived in that era.
    Well, that was 2006.

Looting a vorpal and people were starting to dance like a kobold, singing alleluiah chorus. Back then a vorpal kills a monster without any HP limitation. The best build back then was an enchantment wizard with a ML6 vorpal sickle.

Velah did not exist yet; and no monks, no artificers, no favored souls, and for enhancements you can only take 4 of them. That's it.

Beholders were considered super OP back then and at times that can even shoot eye beams through walls and even when you were back at the tavern drinking an ale and suddenly an eye beam got you and Ding! you die.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Yes, yes it does!
    Make sure you're right up next to the chest. Planting a bomb and opening a chest use the same animation, and the chest covers the bomb. The polite bomber will have raise scrolls on hand so people can still get there loot and (hopefully) laugh instead of squelch you, or stay in the blast zone so nobody knows for sure who did it...

Not that I've ever done this...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Yes, yes it does!
    Make sure you're right up next to the chest. Planting a bomb and opening a chest use the same animation, and the chest covers the bomb. The polite bomber will have raise scrolls on hand so people can still get there loot and (hopefully) laugh instead of squelch you, or stay in the blast zone so nobody knows for sure who did it...

Not that I've ever done this...
    I run them back to the shrine normally and people don't really care.

I think they're amused that I close the gate, sparing me squelches. (aside from first-timers. Alas, however can I appease them?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast