Community Member

Default Casting Barbarian

******JUST A JOKE BUILD TO GO WITH ALL THESE MELEE CASTERS. BOTH ARE TERRIBLE AND SHOULD NEVER MIX!******

I am trying to be imaginatvie and think outside the box. I want to make a casting barbarian because we all now barbarians should be casting their own buffs and heals. He will be a first lifer 32 point build. Was thinking something like this:

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Chaotic Neutral Warforged Male
    (12 Barbarian \ 8 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 296
    Spell Points: 647 
    BAB: 16\16\21\26\26
    Fortitude: 15
    Reflex: 12
    Will: 8

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength              8                     8
    Dexterity             8                     8
    Constitution         20                    20
    Intelligence         18                    23
    Wisdom                6                     6
    Charisma              6                     6

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance              -1                    -1
    Bluff                -2                    -2
    Concentration         5                     5
    Diplomacy            -2                    -2
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle               -2                    -2
    Heal                 -2                    -2
    Hide                 -1                    -1
    Intimidate           -2                    -2
    Jump                 -1                    -1
    Listen               -2                    -2
    Move Silently        -1                    -1
    Open Lock            n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                   n/a
    Repair                4                     6
    Search                4                     6
    Spot                 -2                    -2
    Swim                 -1                    -1
    Tumble               n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device     n/a                   n/a

Level 1 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 2 (Wizard)

Level 3 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 4 (Wizard)

Level 5 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Quicken Spell

Level 6 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness

Level 7 (Wizard)

Level 8 (Wizard)

Level 9 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Insightful Reflexes

Level 10 (Barbarian)

Level 11 (Barbarian)

Level 12 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell

Level 13 (Barbarian)

Level 14 (Barbarian)

Level 15 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 16 (Barbarian)

Level 17 (Barbarian)

Level 18 (Barbarian)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)
    I figure 12 barb for 4 DR, Improved Uncanny Dodge, and extra hit points.

The 8 levels of wizzie gives me firewall, haste, displacement, and repair critical, finally a barb that can heal itself.
    Also my main damage dealing will be with the no save spells since my dcs will be low: scorching ray, magic missile, melf's acid arrow, flame arrow, frost lance.

Any advice on this build will be much appreciated. I know it will be fun to play and people will be biased against it because some people have no imagination.
    Last edited by Da_Most_Shady; 09-16-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Community Member

Please don't call my build trolling because you have no imagination. I know it will work good for me and be fun to play. Maybe if you had some imagination instead of trying to call people troll. Whatever that is even supposed to mean.

ill reserve my thoughts, but I will ask where the damage is coming from with no str? if you don't care about not casting while raged, than dps will be so far sub par. play how you want, but any class would be better than barb mixed with wiz.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    ill reserve my thoughts, but I will ask where the damage is coming from with no str? if you don't care about not casting while raged, than dps will be so far sub par. play how you want, but any class would be better than barb mixed with wiz.
    Was only joking about the rage. But my main source of dps is going to be firewall and the no save rays.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

<insert "not sure if serious or just joking" gif>

A few pointers:
    • Barb DPS comes from raw STR. The things you list - "4 DR, Improved Uncanny Dodge, and extra hit points" - are perks, not the meat of the class. So dumping STR on a mostly-barb build is a bad idea.
    • Barb Rage blocks spellcasting; so mixing caster classes with barb is tricky at best.
    • Caster DPS and Heals / Repairs scale with number of caster lvls. So having relatively few caster lvls gimps your DPS, both because you lose access to higher-lvl spells and the spells you do have don't do as much dmg as they could.
    • You went INT-based yet acknowledge your DCs will be low. Either you are making a DC-based caster or you are not; maxing INT if you plan to rely on no-save spells is a waste of build pts.

You're free to play whatever you want; but if you're serious about this build, I think you're grossly overestimating its potential.

Good luck.

Community Member

Ok was just joking so people dont waste time replying.

Back to my point, why not make a [casting class] melee?

Give me 3 reasons, without resorting to mentioning hit die, expectations or "casting is better".

After all, ye' olde Juggernaut seems quite popular for a caster class.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Back to my point, why not make a [casting class] melee?

Give me 3 reasons, without resorting to mentioning hit die, expectations or "casting is better".

After all, ye' olde Juggernaut seems quite popular for a caster class.
    Since you on this whole Juggernaut kick, which is completely different from casting class. Arties only true casting spell is BB and juggernauts don't even cast any spells besides recon and some buffs and even most of them don't even carry buffs.

And there are plenty of videos of Juggernauts crushing the EE content. Show me one of a "melee sorc or wizzie" doing that. Oh that's right there is none because when you get to the true difficulty of this game EE, which is slightly more difficult or even same difficulty as old Epics, they get smashed to pieces.

Would love to see your "melee wizzie" in action on EE since you say you can run them. Upload of video or if you are on argo can run some with you. Guess the only way to put this to rest is either show up or shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Most_Shady View Post
    Since you on this whole Juggernaut kick, which is completely different from casting class. Arties only true casting spell is BB and juggernauts don't even cast any spells besides recon and some buffs and even most of them don't even carry buffs.

And there are plenty of videos of Juggernauts crushing the EE content. Show me one of a "melee sorc or wizzie" doing that. Oh that's right there is none because when you get to the true difficulty of this game EE, which is slightly more difficult or even same difficulty as old Epics, they get smashed to pieces.

Would love to see your "melee wizzie" in action on EE since you say you can run them. Upload of video or if you are on argo can run some with you. Guess the only way to put this to rest is either show up or shut up.
    Give luzifer you know the guy that created the jugg build some time, I think this is his current project.

As oppose to a wizard self healing/buffing, yeah, big difference

So, again. Tell me why. Stop dodging the question.
    3 answers, why should a caster class not melee and you are not allowed to use hit die, expectations or "better as a caster"?

Go on, I'm waiting.

Community Member

Keep waiting dude, as I will wait for you to prove they can survive EE. Will be waiting for your video, but won't hold my breath because already know the outcome.

Give me three reasons they can survive EE without using words like being carried through, standing afk at entrance until cleared, or take a backpack hike through the quest.

Go on, I am waiting.

Keep waiting dude, as I will wait for you to prove they can survive EE. Will be waiting for your video, but won't hold my breath because already know the outcome.

Give me three reasons they can survive EE without using words like being carried through, standing afk at entrance until cleared, or take a backpack hike through the quest.

Go on, I am waiting.
    50% displacement (perm, due to sp, as oppose to clickies), 25% incorp (wraith), 25% dodge (gear, monk levels, enhancements)
    Have some more reasons - no-fail stun for EE (not shadowfail, sadly enough), 27 prr without augments and/or items.. uh..
    I think it's called "health", but I'm not completely sure.
    Oh, unlimited tensers (scrolls and/or spells) for hp/str/dex, rage (why not?), unlimited haste (again, abusing lots of sp reserved purely for buffs), mine also has ovewhelming crit (mainly for lols).

Naw, it's got no hope in EE.
    Will reroll into a pure monk. Buffs are overrated.

(Actually, I will admit, I do miss quivering palm.)
    Next up on my TR checklist - x3 fighter PL, so I can laugh at shadowfail as well.
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 09-16-2013 at 10:24 PM.

50% displacement (perm, due to sp, as oppose to clickies), 25% incorp (wraith), 25% dodge (gear, monk levels, enhancements)
    Have some more reasons - no-fail stun for EE (not shadowfail, sadly enough), 27 prr without augments and/or items.. uh..
    I think it's called "health", but I'm not completely sure.
    Oh, unlimited tensers (scrolls and/or spells) for hp/str/dex, rage (why not?), unlimited haste (again, abusing lots of sp reserved purely for buffs), mine also has ovewhelming crit (mainly for lols).

Naw, it's got no hope in EE.
    Will reroll into a pure monk. Buffs are overrated.

(Actually, I will admit, I do miss quivering palm.)
    Next up on my TR checklist - x3 fighter PL, so I can laugh at shadowfail as well.
    What was your sf dc? I'm not running a warwizard build like this but a 9/9/2 druid monk fighter first life build where I'm experimenting with getting a wolf build to as high of dps as I can. It's only 24 right now with somewhere around a 60 dc (no where near done with it, still need the tactics twist from ld, and char levels will help as well as getting better wis gear) I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    What was your sf dc? I'm not running a warwizard build like this but a 9/9/2 druid monk fighter first life build where I'm experimenting with getting a wolf build to as high of dps as I can. It's only 24 right now with somewhere around a 60 dc (no where near done with it, still need the tactics twist from ld, and char levels will help as well as getting better wis gear) I'm just curious.
    Still grinding some of the gear (for all of shadowfails named issues, lootgen is awesome.. but getting the perfect item.. /sigh), but I borrowed my mates set-up for stunning fist. (gear wise)
    Off the top of my head,
    10 (base),
    14 (levels),
    6 (fighter/dwarf),
    10 (wraps),
    5 (mastery)
    6 (dreadnought)
    51 before wis mod, easy enough to get.
    As for wis mod, I didn't bother saving the value. Being conservative, 16+6(levels)+5(tome)+10(item)+4(exceptional)+2(shi p)+1(enhancement)=44. 44-10=34. 34/2=17.
    Puts me at 68, being conservative with items. I could also twist wisdom, play in GMoF (Dreadnought <3), use water stance or a few other bits and pieces.
    Also have imp sunder to play with GH mobs.

Again, not no-fail for shadowfail, but with *3 fighter PL.. might be close.
    (I could drop 2 str from level ups and take epic wisdom, along with insight to wisdom... but that's just too much effort. :3)

Community Member

Still grinding some of the gear (for all of shadowfails named issues, lootgen is awesome.. but getting the perfect item.. /sigh), but I borrowed my mates set-up for stunning fist. (gear wise)
    Off the top of my head,
    10 (base),
    14 (levels),
    6 (fighter/dwarf),
    10 (wraps),
    5 (mastery)
    6 (dreadnought)
    51 before wis mod, easy enough to get.
    As for wis mod, I didn't bother saving the value. Being conservative, 16+6(levels)+5(tome)+10(item)+4(exceptional)+2(shi p)+1(enhancement)=44. 44-10=34. 34/2=17.
    Puts me at 68, being conservative with items. I could also twist wisdom, play in GMoF (Dreadnought <3), use water stance or a few other bits and pieces.
    Also have imp sunder to play with GH mobs.

Again, not no-fail for shadowfail, but with *3 fighter PL.. might be close.
    (I could drop 2 str from level ups and take epic wisdom, along with insight to wisdom... but that's just too much effort. :3)
    Your build sounds more like a monk with a few wizzie levels rather than a melee wizard. What is your level split?

25% incorp (wraith)
    35% if you take improved shrouding.

This thread wins the whiny butthurt award for 2013. Good job, OP.

Your build sounds more like a monk with a few wizzie levels rather than a melee wizard. What is your level split?
    12/6/2 wizard/monk/fighter.
    Correction: A wizard with monk splash. I could get away with 16/2/2 wizard/monk/fighter, but I'd lose two feats (Adept stances and lv 6 monk bonus feat).

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    35% if you take improved shrouding.
    Yes, but... How many ap do you think I have?
    No mercy, dwarven tactics, kensei tactics, iron skin..
    Because I messed up the cost of two enhancements, I actually needed to drop things to fit in regular wraith form (with exactly 21 ap spent in PM tree).
    Still, having fun and putting the butthurt to any/all people who say I can't melee on [X] class.
    My cleric did it, now my wizard will.

Sorc after fighter lives, I want more +stun! (Will go WF for sorc, proper hjealz, same tactics, more ap to throw around wherever.)
    Weep blood OP, my crazy builds are coming.

*Edit* Yes, I most likely will do casting barb for my barb lives.
    Hate barb, perm self haste/displace sounds fun, swing a min II (or cloudburst, if it ever drops)...
    Heals won't be pretty, but can probly get away with reconstruct scrolls with 10 wizard (and repair crit/serious irrc).

Community Member

12/6/2 wizard/monk/fighter.
    Correction: A wizard with monk splash. I could get away with 16/2/2 wizard/monk/fighter, but I'd lose two feats (Adept stances and lv 6 monk bonus feat).

Weep blood OP, my crazy builds are coming.

*Edit* Yes, I most likely will do casting barb for my barb lives.
    Hate barb, perm self haste/displace sounds fun, swing a min II (or cloudburst, if it ever drops)...
    Heals won't be pretty, but can probly get away with reconstruct scrolls with 10 wizard (and repair crit/serious irrc).
    I don't really care what builds you want to do. Whatever works for you. Hope you have fun with the casting barb Would still love to see this wizzie in action. Make a youtube video and post.

I don't really care what builds you want to do. Whatever works for you. Hope you have fun with the casting barb Would still love to see this wizzie in action. Make a youtube video and post.
    if u had build that toon properly, it would be considered clever/funny trolling, lol u could see even ppl trying it on live!!

meanwhile it's just like a toon that wanted to be a caster and at lvl 8 changed his/her mind (also keeping focused in meta feats, what most amazes me xD)

also, about melee+caster should never mix... talk for u, i wouldn't ever do em, but can be sure that i won't ever create a thread trying to make fun of em or say that they would never exist(in fact i would prolly accept it if i'm pugging)

guess what happens when the rpg knowledge comes from the trinity caster-melee-healer (quite funny, not as much as the dps-tank-healer trinity, that one is the best to hide fake difficulty in games)
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...