Community Member

Default Heroic High Road XP

The XP values for the High Road on Heroic are not good. Compare it to similar level wilderness areas and you'll see that it is very undervalued. If you're going to shove quest chains inside of wilderness areas, you need to make sure both the quests and the wilderness areas are worth the effort. High Road isn't.

I've mentioned it before, but if necessary, I can repost the link that tells you how to determine XP. But please, stop pulling bad numbers out of your butts.

My guildie and I decided to give Detour a shot. We were level 18, quest level 20. It was harder than we anticipated. Got through it with no deaths, but it took a LOT longer than we expected. And the xp was absolute bollocks. I completely agree they ought to do something. Which means they won't.

Edit: After we saw that, we finished explorers and left.

Community Member

I did not do any quests, just ran the some S/R/E.

An explorer point is worth IIRC 359 XP (assuming wayfinder +10%, ship +4%, voice +5%); probably base XP around 300. (Compared to base 475 XP in the Vale of Twilight).

Rares yield around 300 - 700 (assuming again wayfinder/ship/voice), compared to Vale's base 950 XP. Though High Road rares used to yield full exp on repeated kills. Plus of course a chance of commendations.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    The XP values for the High Road on Heroic are not good. Compare it to similar level wilderness areas and you'll see that it is very undervalued. If you're going to shove quest chains inside of wilderness areas, you need to make sure both the quests and the wilderness areas are worth the effort. High Road isn't.

I've mentioned it before, but if necessary, I can repost the link that tells you how to determine XP. But please, stop pulling bad numbers out of your butts.
    Its the same with pretty much all the new content. The devs seem to have taken a decision a couple of mods back to only introduce content with very bad exp in the higher heroic levels. As for the explorer exp that's also very low in the stormhorns and wheloon prison on heroic when you compare it to Necropolis and Vale which are lower level.

People complained back on Lam over the past couple of updates and the complaints were either met with complete silence or flat out BS (the exp is only a placeholder number) from the devs.

Now, they could be just out of touch with the game, or they have a plan. There is supposed to be an experience curve change to heroics upcoming so that its less of a grind at high levels and so they are only making bad exp quests in advance of this. If that is the case I very much expect that at the same time they will go back and dramatically reduce the exp rewards in older quests that are much better than the new ones. We have seen from experience that they are very heavy handed with this method (i.e the challenges that got double nerfed in one week and never fixed despite promises)

Of note though and its rare that I have something positive to say about them these days after constant nerfs , unfixed bugs and head in the sand approach to both. Despite the fact that the high road exp is bad to the point that its not really worth doing on heroic, it was a great idea to give it a heroic setting and therefore quickly add some extra high level heroic content. So a great idea but somewhat lacking on the execution.

Community Member

Actually I was remembering incorrectly. The XP ain't that bad for the Explorer.

(on wayfinder, with 5% voice and 4% shrine)

Quote Originally Posted by LupusVai View Post
    Its the same with pretty much all the new content. The devs seem to have taken a decision a couple of mods back to only introduce content with very bad exp in the higher heroic levels. As for the explorer exp that's also very low in the stormhorns and wheloon prison on heroic when you compare it to Necropolis and Vale which are lower level.

People complained back on Lam over the past couple of updates and the complaints were either met with complete silence or flat out BS (the exp is only a placeholder number) from the devs.

Now, they could be just out of touch with the game, or they have a plan. There is supposed to be an experience curve change to heroics upcoming so that its less of a grind at high levels and so they are only making bad exp quests in advance of this. If that is the case I very much expect that at the same time they will go back and dramatically reduce the exp rewards in older quests that are much better than the new ones. We have seen from experience that they are very heavy handed with this method (i.e the challenges that got double nerfed in one week and never fixed despite promises)

Of note though and its rare that I have something positive to say about them these days after constant nerfs , unfixed bugs and head in the sand approach to both. Despite the fact that the high road exp is bad to the point that its not really worth doing on heroic, it was a great idea to give it a heroic setting and therefore quickly add some extra high level heroic content. So a great idea but somewhat lacking on the execution.

You mean Turbine blatently lied? Blasfemer! (XD)

they tacked on a Heroic mode to these packs (yeah, wheloon and storm horns are considered packs by many) to give the expected flood of new players that buy iconics something to do in evening star.

I always hated the bad exp curve in ddo, lv 18 quests that give less exp then tear or any of the von quests? its a pathetic attempt to slow us down at cap.
    they bring out the (back then) high level packs with extremely low exp and few updates nerf its only redeeming factor, the loot, well done out of a money grabbing perspective i guess (bait and switch anyone?)
    Last edited by lyrecono; 09-17-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: location added