Default Centered THF dude ... best weapon choice?

So, I've got a serial TR guy that I play in *mostly* a static group. When I say mostly, I mean when my 3 other guildies are on, we play together and make it a point to do so. We have a few characters we've TR'd together and that crew is around a half-dozen lives each. We catch up on our own however we can if we fall behind from our usual nights so we end up playing outside the group quite a bit and we all have lots of alts - just 2 or so each we generally play "together".

Life has sent one person kinda towards Neverwinter, another on a real-life long-term job assignment and yet another into a masters degree program. As such, I'll be spending a bit more time at epic than I have at times past on this guy. I did epics a plenty pre-MOTU, but honestly I did it with (decent) heroic gear. I never made him any epic gear since he was usually just farming long enough for me to get ready and TR him. I'm sure I've got plenty of spares for junkier epic items and probably a few non-quote-so-junky.

He's a centered Kensai (fighter/monk/rogue - I generally pull the trapper job) - currently spec'd for greatswords. The last 6 or so levels have all been about a few niche swords and a fully upgraded Cloudburst.

As I head into epics, I'll probably quick-make him a set from eveningstar gear-wise (Sun Soul likely) and he's going to spend some time in epic.

Without a feat change, I could easily move into and out of falchions or greataxes. I can make an eAGA for him, probably farm up an EGaOF easily enough (and things like a Hellstroke, but really whats the point) - but I don't have any solid epic swords and as I'm looking, there doesn't seem to be anything really standing out in a named perspective - I mean greensteel or alchemical I could put together, but I'm not sure I'd pick that as my weapon of choice.

Any thoughts on a good THF to spec to in the early epic levels? No CiTW weapons on this guy (yet) as he's never been past 20.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    So, I've got a serial TR guy that I play in *mostly* a static group. When I say mostly, I mean when my 3 other guildies are on, we play together and make it a point to do so. We have a few characters we've TR'd together and that crew is around a half-dozen lives each. We catch up on our own however we can if we fall behind from our usual nights so we end up playing outside the group quite a bit and we all have lots of alts - just 2 or so each we generally play "together".

Life has sent one person kinda towards Neverwinter, another on a real-life long-term job assignment and yet another into a masters degree program. As such, I'll be spending a bit more time at epic than I have at times past on this guy. I did epics a plenty pre-MOTU, but honestly I did it with (decent) heroic gear. I never made him any epic gear since he was usually just farming long enough for me to get ready and TR him. I'm sure I've got plenty of spares for junkier epic items and probably a few non-quote-so-junky.

He's a centered Kensai (fighter/monk/rogue - I generally pull the trapper job) - currently spec'd for greatswords. The last 6 or so levels have all been about a few niche swords and a fully upgraded Cloudburst.

As I head into epics, I'll probably quick-make him a set from eveningstar gear-wise (Sun Soul likely) and he's going to spend some time in epic.

Without a feat change, I could easily move into and out of falchions or greataxes. I can make an eAGA for him, probably farm up an EGaOF easily enough (and things like a Hellstroke, but really whats the point) - but I don't have any solid epic swords and as I'm looking, there doesn't seem to be anything really standing out in a named perspective - I mean greensteel or alchemical I could put together, but I'm not sure I'd pick that as my weapon of choice.

Any thoughts on a good THF to spec to in the early epic levels? No CiTW weapons on this guy (yet) as he's never been past 20.
    I haven't played THF since U14, but I can provide some perspective from what I know on paper and what I've read on the forums until someone with more expertise contradicts me.

The top 2 weapons at this point are considered to be Cleaver and ESoS. Even after all this time ESoS is still tops for DPS, but many people consider cleaver to be the better weapon due to the effects of limb chopper. DPS-wise there is only a small margin between ESoS, Breach (falchion), Skybreaker(greatsword), and Cleaver (greataxe) for bladed weapons. Keeping up with that group are Shining Devastation and Sireth with the right EDs, spells, etc making them stronger. Only after those would I mention Drow Greataxe, EAGA, and EGAoF. I'm assuming you don't have ESoS or we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. Breach, Cleaver, and Sireth all come from CitW, which is nice because it's easier to get at least one of them and doesn't take that many runs to come up with one. Skybreaker is from Fall of Truth, and is a nice weapon (upgrade of your current weapon), but for the effort your time is better spent in CitW. Drow GA is probably the easiest to get if you can find it in the AH, EAGA and EGAoF are both fine alternatives until you can secure better.

Well, I can make him a couple eAGAs as soon as I hit 20 if I wanted. I also have a Shining Devastation in the bank he could use, but that path foward doesn't seem so great.

Maybe I just won't do anything initially - keep the Cloudburst going - until I flag for CiTW and see what I can pull and respec at that point.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Well, I can make him a couple eAGAs as soon as I hit 20 if I wanted. I also have a Shining Devastation in the bank he could use, but that path foward doesn't seem so great.

Maybe I just won't do anything initially - keep the Cloudburst going - until I flag for CiTW and see what I can pull and respec at that point.
    I would honestly be shocked if you couldn't get better than Cloudburst off the AH or from the pawn shop, just for the fact that a lootgen 20+ weapon will be 2[W] and can have those same effects or better. EAGA would do really nice on a centered build since it's D20 and dance of flowers will make it 3.5[D20]. That's the route I'd go. It's also nice that it's metalline/good so no swapping needed. In fact, my old "on paper" stats don't reflect centered options that are now available since it's a little out of date now, and this weapon would climb the charts a little just based on it's base damage die (as would Cleaver).

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    I would honestly be shocked if you couldn't get better than Cloudburst off the AH or from the pawn shop, just for the fact that a lootgen 20+ weapon will be 2[W] and can have those same effects or better. EAGA would do really nice on a centered build since it's D20 and dance of flowers will make it 3.5[D20]. That's the route I'd go. It's also nice that it's metalline/good so no swapping needed. In fact, my old "on paper" stats don't reflect centered options that are now available since it's a little out of date now, and this weapon would climb the charts a little just based on it's base damage die (as would Cleaver).
    Man, my other characters have such better end/late game gear than this guy ;-)

I've never targeted any gear specifically for this guy, so I'm scrambling around seeing what I can make that fits someway, somehow.

I *think* I'll farm up a Sun Soul set real quick (on a Stone Heart of STR - though I may have to do the gemstone for a bit) and maybe toss on a spare Ring of the Stalker. I probably have a spare Brawling Gauntlet too for STR in the meantime (though the +6 I'm wearing now is probably ok).

the d20 may even make it worth while for me to mess w/ Weapon Attachment - though it looks so terribad.