Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amrath XP

Default Amrath XP

So, there was a post not too long ago where people were balking at Amrath quests due to XP. But I'm looking to get Yugo favor, so I'm running them to get the Yugo pots.

My toon is lvl 26 at this point, and way maybe lvl 25 when I did my first run: Sins of Attrition. On elite I pulled something like 15 - 19K XP doing on solo, over level. Yeah, it's not your typical EH run, but that kind of XP over-level isn't something to scoff at.

So last night I get an elite Genesis Point run going, all of the group being well over-level (lvl 24+), when the quest completed I pulled 9K in XP. Scaled for the appropriate level (because I definitely took a level penalty), that's nothing to scoff at. I'm hearing people throw around numbers like 4K and 5K XP on their runs, but I'm getting XP that is almost double that, with penalties factored in.

So, why the discrepancy?

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    So, there was a post not too long ago where people were balking at Amrath quests due to XP. But I'm looking to get Yugo favor, so I'm running them to get the Yugo pots.

My toon is lvl 26 at this point, and way maybe lvl 25 when I did my first run: Sins of Attrition. On elite I pulled something like 15 - 19K XP doing on solo, over level. Yeah, it's not your typical EH run, but that kind of XP over-level isn't something to scoff at.

So last night I get an elite Genesis Point run going, all of the group being well over-level (lvl 24+), when the quest completed I pulled 9K in XP. Scaled for the appropriate level (because I definitely took a level penalty), that's nothing to scoff at. I'm hearing people throw around numbers like 4K and 5K XP on their runs, but I'm getting XP that is almost double that, with penalties factored in.

So, why the discrepancy?
    Sins can be good xp but it's the only one imo.

Part of the problem is risk/reward or effort/reward, there is lower hanging fruit that provides better xp/min with less risk/effort.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

So, why the discrepancy?
    THere are level 9 quests that have 3-4 TIMES that amount of XP.

I'm sure you are seeing 9-20k with whatever bonuses you have running. (Would be interesting to hear what you are running... Things like Tome of learning, Daily First time, Bravery Bonus, Voice, XP pot, etc etc...)

You can see the actual base quest XP here.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Quests_by_Level_and_XP

With a Repeat penalty or 2, its easy to see 4-5k on some of the Amrath quests.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Sins can be good xp but it's the only one imo.

Part of the problem is risk/reward or effort/reward, there is lower hanging fruit that provides better xp/min with less risk/effort.
    Yeah, but the numbers they were citing were far less than what I was getting. I totally get the whole XP/Min thing, and could see maybe an XP boost to Genesis Point due to the complexity of the run, but the numbers some of these guys were citing doesn't square what I was seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    THere are level 9 quests that have 3-4 TIMES that amount of XP.

I'm sure you are seeing 9-20k with whatever bonuses you have running. (Would be interesting to hear what you are running... Things like Tome of learning, Daily First time, Bravery Bonus, Voice, XP pot, etc etc...)

You can see the actual base quest XP here.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Quests_by_Level_and_XP

With a Repeat penalty or 2, its easy to see 4-5k on some of the Amrath quests.
    Running with no XP boosts at all. I usually save those for heroic.

At present I have three maxed EDs on that toon, with Magister being the prime one at that point. Between the occasional VON run, and the scattered array of EH runs (and the rare EE outing) I'm not exactly hurting for XP.

Edit: a little too quick in responding. I maybe use our guild 1% XP shrine, and a Voice (if I ever remember to put the stupid thing on).

Yeah, but the numbers they were citing were far less than what I was getting. I totally get the whole XP/Min thing, and could see maybe an XP boost to Genesis Point due to the complexity of the run, but the numbers some of these guys were citing doesn't square what I was seeing.
    They might have been quoting base before bonuses, I haven't looked at the numbers in a long long time but
    5% shrine
    5% voice
    10% vip
    50% streak
    20% first time elite
    20% bravery
    20% first run of the day
    50% greater tome of learning

is 180% before even tossing on a potion.

So not sure what your account is or if you have tomes or potions but that is a big part of it and that will add up even better on better xp quests.

They might have been quoting base before bonuses, I haven't looked at the numbers in a long long time but
    5% shrine
    5% voice
    10% vip
    50% streak
    20% first time elite
    20% bravery
    20% first run of the day
    50% greater tome of learning

is 180% before even tossing on a potion.

So not sure what your account is or if you have tomes or potions but that is a big part of it and that will add up even better on better xp quests.

Ok, in addition to a 1% guild shrine, and Voice, I'm also a VIP. So that's maybe 16%.

And I never knew there was a "first run of the day" bonus. That too would qualify. So you're maybe talking 36%.

But were you having fun?

Fun/min > xp/min, and will keep you playing longer. Favor and xp are important, but so many people treat this game like a job that must be completed.

I enjoy the Amrath quests, they are well crafted and quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    But were you having fun?

Fun/min > xp/min, and will keep you playing longer. Favor and xp are important, but so many people treat this game like a job that must be completed.

I enjoy the Amrath quests, they are well crafted and quite fun.
    I like them. I also like PUGs. Unfortunately PUGs and Amrath often don't go together on my server.

That being said, whether they are fun quests or not is irrelevant for this thread. My contention is that the poor XP everyone is complaining about contrasts what I am seeing when completing a quest.

Keep in mind many who say "XP not worth it" are measuring Quest XP by the ratio of how fast they are able to complete them.

Most of the Amrath quests are long, so even with XP bonuses they fall below 1K XP per minute and this is considered low. The other aspect is the difficulty of these quests at level. This discourages some from even coming out to Amrath.

The question each player has to ask themselves as far as value is concerned is which is more important "The Journey" or "The Destination"

Personally I favor the journey, but there are many that put their focus only on the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post

Most of the Amrath quests are long, so even with XP bonuses they fall below 1K XP per minute and this is considered low.
    First run elite streak with all the bonuses in game I'd say 2k at high heroic levels now.

The problem is that the majority of people struggle to complete Elite Amrath at level, and those who do, it still takes around forty minutes per quest. It's not good exp, for the time and effort involved.

First run elite streak with all the bonuses in game I'd say 2k at high heroic levels now.
    That's actually pretty good XP. I've actually not set foot in an Amrath Heroic since the XP ransack changes, Most of my characters have already run those and currently level 27 and I have one that made it to 20 without stepping out there and another only level 12 atm.

My leveling buddy and I enjoy these quests and I know them rather well, I imagine we will incorporate them during this leveling cycle.

That would be only if you PUG, I think. I tried doing the solo thing with the hireling on Genesis Point. With the hireling bug where they won't interact with a device unless conditions are "just right" you'd never make that 2K / min.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    That's actually pretty good XP. I've actually not set foot in an Amrath Heroic since the XP ransack changes, Most of my characters have already run those and currently level 27 and I have one that made it to 20 without stepping out there and another only level 12 atm.

My leveling buddy and I enjoy these quests and I know them rather well, I imagine we will incorporate them during this leveling cycle.
    No no you misunderstand I was saying, I'm not saying amrath gets that xp, I'm saying on a first run with all the bonuses 2k/min is more what's expected now instead of 1k/min.

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    The problem is that the majority of people struggle to complete Elite Amrath at level, and those who do, it still takes around forty minutes per quest. It's not good exp, for the time and effort involved.
    Well, if I am correct and we are seeing XP like what I assume we are seeing, that places Amrath in the same territory as Vale as far as quest XP goes. The only zerg-a-thon in Vale is maybe Let Sleeping Dust Lie. The rest are long quests that even when zerg-ed, results in a 30-minute romp.

I think the real issue is that no one chooses to flag for TOD anymore, to be honest.

Well, if I am correct and we are seeing XP like what I assume we are seeing, that places Amrath in the same territory as Vale as far as quest XP goes. The only zerg-a-thon in Vale is maybe Let Sleeping Dust Lie. The rest are long quests that even when zerg-ed, results in a 30-minute romp.

I think the real issue is that no one chooses to flag for TOD anymore, to be honest.
    Coal 20 mins
    Dust 10-15
    Rainbow 10-15
    Rwtd 10 mins
    Rit Sac 20 mins

Sorry but no other than sometimes sins, amrath is much much longer quest wise.

I like them. I also like PUGs. Unfortunately PUGs and Amrath often don't go together on my server.

That being said, whether they are fun quests or not is irrelevant for this thread. My contention is that the poor XP everyone is complaining about contrasts what I am seeing when completing a quest.
    I always thought the first time elite bonus was streak was pretty decent. They don't take that long.

As far as I can tell, quest xp has in the past been calculated with good loot lowers xp.
    Amarath was considered good loot in the past.

The flaw in this design is that all loot eventually becomes outdated.
    The level cap being placed at 20 for so long promoted poor Amarath xp.

Developers have admitted that there are quests out there that have poor xp.
    Hopefully, designers will see this trap of linking loot with xp so they can avoid it in the future.

Even level cap 30 quests / raids should avoid this trap, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    I always thought the first time elite bonus was streak was pretty decent. They don't take that long.
    Very nice of the devs to give us sooo many xp bonuses of various amounts, it makes lesser quests worth doing once.
    Once and done is a great leveling up strategy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast