Community Member

Default How does Druid form work with Monk unarmed?

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a handle on Monk for my next life (maybe), and have pretty much decided on 12 Monk/6 ranger. I've been looking at Druid 2, and the wolf form gives 30% increased attack speed. Does this work with UA? And would I still be centered? Do the two gel together is what I am asking.

Advice appreciated.

Aes.

Community Member

animal form doesnt work with TWF, so no offhand attacks. (currently it is bugged to work with it but since the devs have yet to comment as whether its WAI or a bug, its hard to say to go that rough since it may gimp your character in the long run once they fix it) while wolf form does give 30% it is still behind a monks attack speed since they dont get offhand attacks with each increase in doublestrike for a monk making it take the lead, since with offhand they are able to get 3-4 attacks off of a single swing with enough doublestrike. while animal forms only can get a max of 2.

other then that, animal form works as if it is unarmred. so improved crit: blunt, etc. as for being centered, you have to keep monk weapons equipped, or no weapons, and cant have a shield/armor.

if you use handwraps you also get all of the monk die step increases you're eligible for. If you fight in animal form though you need 9 druid for the natural fighting feat line. But for example in heroics a 9druid 9 monk at level 18 would be doing 2.5[1d10] 17-20 x3 assuming reinforced fists, ic, and no monk past life. With the 3 natural fighting feats you'd also have 18% doublestrike.

Community Member

Thanks for advice so far. So with the above and a bit of reading on the Monk and druid forums, it seems that 9 druid would be optimal. This only leaves me 11 Monk though, and there's a fair bit of juicyness at Monk 12.

With regard to the uncertainty of the offhand bug-or-maybe-not, this is for a Monk PL and nothing else, so I'd TR immediately on hitting 20. Should take approx 10 days or so, depending. It's unlikely to change in that short a time (hopefully).

Also, weapon wise, I'd definitely be going handwraps all the way.

I have some food for thought here certainly. Not sure I like the idea of going so deep into Druid, but if it works, then I'll certainly consider it.

What I'm really aiming for is a zerg-ish build. I don't want to trap next life, but I don't want to worry about getting creamed running through them either. I also want to be fast-moving and as offensive as possible while being durable. One thing I really do like about the deep druid splash is the utility of the spells.

Looks like I have some thinking to do here.

Aes.

Community Member

Hmm, from further reading, it seems that Ranger TWF feats don't work with UA. So I'm not sure where that leaves me. If TWF doesn't work with UA, then what feats am I really aiming for?

Also, I'm really not sure what stats to focus on. One option is to go Dex/Wis and take finesse. Another is to go Wis/Str but I'm not really sure which way to go.

Aes.

FailedLegend was working a similar build a few days ago. There was much discussion about what works or does not in animal form. You can check it out in this thread.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Thanks Sebastian, I did have a read through that. Not ever having done any of the EDs yet, alot of that thread went over my head. Also was some fairly heavy theorycrafting there which'll take me a while to absorb. It's basically the exact idea I want though, and thanks for linking it

Aes.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

9Druid/9Monk/2X is quite a potent build you can get your unarmed damage pretty high in Dire wolf Form (between 7.00[1d10] - 7.75[1d10] with up x6 crit) and the mix between Monks natural increase in attack spped and the wolf forms attack speed increase you attack lightning fast definitely fit stunning fist in there as well. Also don't forget after you hit 6 Monk you gain Adept of forms than you can use feats to boost it to Grandmaster

Note: Currently I'd recommend splashing 2 Ranger for Improved Finesse as Ninja spy isn't correctly identifying wolf form (which does piercing AND slashing damage) as a candidate for the Ninja Training and Advanced Ninja Training which allows Dex for attack and damage with piercing and slashing weapons...once this bug is fixed 2Fighter is much better simply for the extra feats.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-16-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

OK, have had a good read now and am decided on Druid/Monk. Question though. With 9/9 split, what past life do I get? I'm guessing Monk?

Aes.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    OK, have had a good read now and am decided on Druid/Monk. Question though. With 9/9 split, what past life do I get? I'm guessing Monk?

Aes.
    monk