Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Some healers refuse to heal

Hello, i play DDO as first "life", and i often see Healer join group but not healing in quest. Since i cant afford very expensive potions (and it takes a lot time to get hp back up when i play as Barbarian), what is reason behind this? Wouldnt group do quest much more smoothly if healers actually heal? Seriously even hireling healer usually much more reliable as healer, but he tends to die often so people ask for no hireling. What the point of healer 100% time ignoring healing his fellow mates?

/popcorn

OP you are right.

That ship has sailed, partly because of game mechanics and mostly because of your fellow players.

I TR'd my Cleric into a monk this weekend, simply so I don't have to heal.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Oh this will definitely end well.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Community Member

Since when is "Healer" a class in DDO? Sure some have healing type spells but that is not their sole purpose. They also have to heavily invest to make those spells like cure light wounds heal for much. 1d8 for a cure light at level 1 with no gear or feats to boost its power, and even if they had the feats to boost its power it boosts the cost by a lot. They could have some Devotion gear to boost positive spellpower but that takes up gear slots (which they may want fo rother spellpower types) not to mention they may not have found the items yet. Or it could be you ran around a corner rather than waiting on heals. Maybe you need a bit of experience as what you think is exclusively a healer before you criticize those playing that class.

op I'm going to assume you're new rather than a troll, here's why this happens

DDO is not a trinity game every build can build in a way to heal it's self.

Healer is a role not a class, the divine classes that you call healers have very high dps and killing power potential.

Healing used to be more common but many players started attacking divines and abusing them for the divine playing their whole character.

As a result most divines will never heal you, will not even join pugs, and if you say something similar to what you said in this thread to them in the group will drop your soul stone in lava rather than raise you.

I don't mind healing on my fvs. People turn this stuff into bloodsport. It's a pity but that's people for you.

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default you found one of those players

I play clerics. When I join a party I specifically state that I am a healer cleric.

Since you play a barbarian, then just stand behind the non healing cleric and use your range weapon. Or do nothing at all.

If you play on a server I am on, I will gladly buy you a stack of potions.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Kir1 View Post
    Hello, i play DDO as first "life", and i often see Healer join group but not healing in quest. Since i cant afford very expensive potions (and it takes a lot time to get hp back up when i play as Barbarian), what is reason behind this? Wouldnt group do quest much more smoothly if healers actually heal? Seriously even hireling healer usually much more reliable as healer, but he tends to die often so people ask for no hireling. What the point of healer 100% time ignoring healing his fellow mates?
    Out of the mouths of babes........
    "Implosion: For when you just HAVE to kill every M**********R in the room"-
    (Samuel L Jackson)

"Some are insane, and the're in charge"

Sarlona: Mercilless, Maliciouss, Relenttless. Plus others.....

There could be a lot of reasons. Let me list a few:
    -could be you were out of range
    -could be you were around a corner
    -could be they didn't like you
    -could be they thought you were rude and were passive-aggressively punishing you
    -could be they are bad at healing
    -could be they don't like healing, but do like the other things that class that can cast healing spells can do
    -could be they were lazy
    -could be they were not paying attention to your red bar
    -could be they like watching people struggle to learn self sufficiency
    -could be they were having a private chat with someone and was too busy typing to heal you
    -could be they forgot to actually take the healing spells
    -could be their build was not set up to take advantage of the healing potential and their focus was elsewhere
    -could be they just didn't care if anyone else survived the quest

Could be many many other reasons too. Maybe you should ask the person who wasn't healing you? Communication can solve lots of things, and when someone says something like, "Hey would you mind tossing me a heal please?" generally, even if the guy with the cleric/fvs icon doesn't someone in the party will probably be able to help you out.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    There could be a lot of reasons. Let me list a few:
    -could be you were out of range
    -could be you were around a corner
    -could be they didn't like you
    -could be they thought you were rude and were passive-aggressively punishing you
    -could be they are bad at healing
    -could be they don't like healing, but do like the other things that class that can cast healing spells can do
    -could be they were lazy
    -could be they were not paying attention to your red bar
    -could be they like watching people struggle to learn self sufficiency
    -could be they were having a private chat with someone and was too busy typing to heal you
    -could be they forgot to actually take the healing spells
    -could be their build was not set up to take advantage of the healing potential and their focus was elsewhere
    -could be they just didn't care if anyone else survived the quest

Could be many many other reasons too. Maybe you should ask the person who wasn't healing you? Communication can solve lots of things, and when someone says something like, "Hey would you mind tossing me a heal please?" generally, even if the guy with the cleric/fvs icon doesn't someone in the party will probably be able to help you out.
    Most of healers who join group never heal other ppl except themselves. First person experience. Not talking about them healing my Barb, but they dont bother heal anyone in party.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    op I'm going to assume you're new rather than a troll, here's why this happens

DDO is not a trinity game every build can build in a way to heal it's self.
    Healers healing and Barbarian do dps is more smooth and better for group? Or when then barbarian heals group and healer does full damage? I think first variant is better.

Basically DDO changed when FVS and clerics wanted to do more than heal parties and wiz and sorcs wanted to do more than buff groups. The devs gave them moar power and nerfed DS to the point that anyone having learned basic skills and a stack of pots/wands/scrolls/hire can complete most quests without a lot of difficulty. Today everyone is expected to be self sufficient and the argument about "healers" is now about teamwork where all should be helping each other out and not specific classes. Unfortunately for new players this means learning quickly how to play and to know to keep a good stack of resources because you won't do well with the mindset of "roles". Those days are long gone.

Community Member

By the way if for example trapper character also stops doing traps "because he dont feel like doing them" is it not same as healer character refusing to even drop one heal in quest?

Healers healing and Barbarian do dps is more smooth and better for group? Or when then barbarian heals group and healer does full damage? I think first variant is better.
    No six dps self healing and going full out goes best, if you're a barb and need a "healer" you better be able to do the dps for two people and barbs don't, it's why they're hands down the worst class in the game.

By the way if for example trapper character also stops doing traps "because he dont feel like doing them" is it not same as healer character refusing to even drop one heal in quest?
    If it's an easy to jump over trap and a zerg run I won't get the trap unless I'll be passing enough boxes for the bonus, in which case I follow behind getting boxes for the bonus while everyone else jumps over and completes. No one waits for boxes.

Just hjeal meh, you know you wanna.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    No six dps self healing and going full out goes best, if you're a barb and need a "healer" you better be able to do the dps for two people and barbs don't, it's why they're hands down the worst class in the game.
    I strongly disagree, the hands down worst class in the game is me trying to play cleric.

However, I didn't build my FvS to babysit questers. I did not invest in Repair to help Warforged generate more HP at a shrine either. Color me bad, but frankly I joined the quest to kill stuff and finish the quest. If I'm feeling particularly nasty about xp per min, I may throw a few heals at party members, but frankly, most of the time, I want xp, and favor, and I get the same favor whether you're alive or dead at the end of the quest. I have grouped with some people where it was infinitely cheaper for me to carry their soul stone to the end chest, and then res them, than to spend the entire quest, and who knows how many sp pots, which are far and away more expensive than health pots, trying to keep them alive.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Hea...83.5e_Class%29
    I'd like to see a healer joining but all I get are clerics and FvS, which aren't seen as healers by default. (personally I see them as capable for healing in whatever excuse-flavor they may be. If they refuse, they are just lazy players orprobably just players, who actually cannotplay that role. So, laziness or incompetence...you decide ;P)

Anyway, when you state what you expect of divines you can sort out easier .

trolololol....

*Use Magic Device 16+47: success. You heal Teh_Troll for 78 hit points*
    *You tell party: Teh_Troll get hamp, nub!!!111!!....*
    Last edited by zwiebelring; 09-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Welcome to DDO. You will get used to this.

When you see such a "healer" you just pull your returning throver out and start plinging at mobs from the safe distance while he is kiting them around. "Healer" will do all the work for you. Unless the quest is harder, then the healer will run out of sp and chug a pot - still no problem. After a few quests in such a maner, the "healer" will rage quit calling you a piker (but you were actually ranging so take no offence) or ask you why you don't melee. You will know what to answer to that question. If you will be polite, the healer will start healing.
    NESALOMLJIVI, Thelanis

Community Member

Oddly, I no longer get traps on my trapper toons unless the bonus is worth the time. No this isn't a joke either.

Anyway, the only thing that matters in a group is that everyone is pulling their own weight. If a divine is unable to kill anything in early levels and still refuses to heal, they're piking.

If a divine is unable to kill anything in EE and still refused to heal, they are piking.

If you find yourself with one of these types, drop group and spread their name around as pikers, since that's what they are.

Divines that can actually contribute meaningfully to dps are fine doing what they do.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast