Community Member

Default Crafting for the sake of crafting xp....

Ok, my ingredient bag is overflowing, so I guess it's time to spend an hour or so burning essences to craft useless shards. Currently, I'm about 20/20/20. When crafting just to earn crafting xp, what level of success do you aim for?

In other words, I usually just try to use recipes that have an 80 to 90% chance of success. But I remember reading someone's post a while ago that mentions they usually use recipes that have around a 50% chance of success. Obviously, the lower the chance of success, the fewer essences are used but the more likely the essences are to be wasted on a failed roll. Which do you recommend?

My crafter has been capped for a long time, but when I leveled him, the best return seemed to be at the lower percentage chance. The XP from the success increased faster than the percentage chance decreased. That was a long time ago, so the dynamics might have changed.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    My crafter has been capped for a long time, but when I leveled him, the best return seemed to be at the lower percentage chance. The XP from the success increased faster than the percentage chance decreased. That was a long time ago, so the dynamics might have changed.
    This fits my experience as well. I used to use a calculator to figure out my expected xp gain but after a while I stopped because the highest xp/essence recipes always seemed to win regardless of success chance.

If you have some DDO points available, the crafting boosts can help and are relatively cheap.

I liked going after the 54% success and toss on a 25% boost for a couple of them, then the % chance would be high enough that I didn't feel like I was "wasting" shards on failures.

I haven't gotten one in a while, but I did get some crafting XP boosts from the daily roll. If you can get one of them it'll help plow through the levels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maatogaeoth View Post
    If you have some DDO points available, the crafting boosts can help and are relatively cheap.

I liked going after the 54% success and toss on a 25% boost for a couple of them, then the % chance would be high enough that I didn't feel like I was "wasting" shards on failures.

I haven't gotten one in a while, but I did get some crafting XP boosts from the daily roll. If you can get one of them it'll help plow through the levels as well.
    I am not a big crafter and put the effort all into one character only. But, this was what I did.