Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Post How long will DDO go, and will there ever be a DDO 2?

For those of us that have played DDO for many years... there seems to be a common question in the back of our minds that has been sitting dormant since appx 2009.

This has been brought up over the years, and back then I'd dismissed each as being way too early to pose the question. However, I'd love to get input as to what the mods and devs feel the future will hold for DDO beyond 2016, when supposedly the license ends. That feels like a good time for the development cycles to finally cease... but will Turbine's license get extended? How long DDO will continue in active development is anyone's guess.

Perhaps we can get Cordovan and/or Tolero to jump in on the fun. Even if its nothing official.. it would be great to get some "unofficial" feedback... Even though Turbine has moved to the award winning Havok engine over a year ago, the graphics themselves will look quite dated in 2016. This beckons the thought if a new DDO could be on the horizon...

Anyone want to take their best guess until the powers that be see this?

Lets keep it clean folks... This is not a doom thread so please do not take it there... thanks.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 09-16-2013 at 06:17 AM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Well seeing that despite all the doom and server dieng (and according to threads they die since 2008?) the game is still around and a level cap rise to 30 is announced I don't see a reason why it shouldn't run for some other years. They overhauled the engine to support DX11 a while ago and even Asheron's Call is still up, but creating a DDO2 with a new engine, new tools, new technology is probably more expensive then to upgrade DDO itself. Also what do you expect of DDO2 of being different then DDO?

Take a look at Lineage 1 and Lineage 2 they not only changed the engine, the whole look and feel changed. The same goes for GuildWars 1 and 2 where characters increased in size, grouping and gameplay changed. However for DDO the underlying rules of D&D - even thou they have been adapted to fit a MMO - don't change that much that they couldn't be integrated into a update. Sure you can do much better and realistic looking environments with new technology as like as seen in Battlefield 4 and such. But despite new cool looks I don't see a reason for a DDO2, and honestly not the looks keep me still playing this game.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

It's likely there is no end date planned for DDO yet. Even if there was, there is no way they would come on here and tell you as it would simply be bad business due to people's reluctance to invest money and time into a sinking ship.

They will continue with it as long as it is profitable.

Community Member

For me the most important question would be..

Do i want a DDO2 from Turbine?

The changes over the last 2-3 years into the pay2win direction tell me...No

And to Asheron's call...just because a game is still running doesn't mean it is still "alive"

Anyone who played AC during its prime time around 2002-2004 knows how great it was...and how empty the servers were after 2006+....i dont call such a game "alive" (And i consider the AC system of no classes and totally free charakter development still the best of all mmos!!)

The server Wayfinder for example has already such a feel like AC had in 2006...Ghost Town

and yes they will run DDO as long as it makes profit, because there will always be some hardcore players, who will buy anything from the shop no matter how bad it is.
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

DDO2 is already here, it's called NWO.

And no way Hasbro is going to let a computer game be developed on an old version of D&D.
    So any DDOx would be 4th Ed, or 5th Ed if they ever release it.

Last, it is also not a given that Turbine would be the company that designed that DDOx.
    Look at what happened to NWN : Bioware for the first one, Obsidian for the second one, Cryptic/PWE for the online version.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

When will there be a DDO2? In all likelihood, never. There is no compelling reason to produce it from a business standpoint. Perhaps a graphics update will be released if the current designs are ever deemed as a significant cause of player attrition, but that is unlikely as well.

IP licensing is another great hurdle for any new version to overcome. WotC (or Hasbro) appears quite happy to parcel out the various incarnations of D&D to any company willing to pay for them. However in Turbine's case, they seem do so in the context of re-releasing or introducing new material for older modules and realms. MotU was released in conjunction with the reissue of the Queen of the Spiders series. Shadowfell came into being as part of The Sundering. When and if D&D 5.0 ever makes it to market, they may license it to Turbine or they may not.

There will definitely be other MMOs based on D&D (Neverwinter being the latest example), but a DDO2 franchise from Turbine will probably not be among them.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    For those of us that have played DDO for many years... there seems to be a common question in the back of our minds that has been sitting dormant since appx 2009.

This has been brought up over the years, and back then I'd dismissed each as being way too early to pose the question. However, I'd love to get input as to what the mods and devs feel the future will hold for DDO beyond 2016, when supposedly the license ends. That feels like a good time for the development cycles to finally cease... but will Turbine's license get extended? How long DDO will continue in active development is anyone's guess.
    I would wager things are slow right now because Turbine is developing a MOBA, but there are no reports of them expanding their office or company to accomplish this task, so as it stands right now, I would wager they are just moving devs around to make things happen. To be fair, I have no intention to play their new DC Universe Combat arena, nor any other Turbine games, because to be honest, while DDO scratches an itch for a gamer like me with it's Old School DnD rules and such, the game has a rushed/sloppy feel to it overall, with lots of bugs and other issues, and I can't say I want to deal with that in yet another game by them.

Perhaps we can get Cordovan and/or Tolero to jump in on the fun. Even if its nothing official.. it would be great to get some "unofficial" feedback...
    There is no such thing, anything anyone at Turbine says is "official", so they better served to say nothing till they are ready to say something official.

I think that currently Turbine is able to do all the things they need to do in order to keep DDO a relevant game in the market. The game engine limitations are there, but as long as players value gameplay over graphics, then theoretically, the game can survive for some time. Any mass exodus of players has little to do with an outdated game and more to do with the changes taking place in that game. When a day comes when the graphics just don't hold up anymore, that will be when DDO2 way see the light of day. Even then, great game play will keep people interested if the mechanics are good enough. A DDO2 from Turbine will never seem like a good idea from players that were turned off of the original as there will be no sense that anything would be done differently the second time except for a shinier look. If the game is too different than the original then you lose not only all the players that already left, but any of those remaining, forcing you to carve a new niche in an overcrowded market from square one.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

I wouldn't get hung up on the licensing date. New license negotiations will start long before the expiration hits, so long as Turbine still makes money from DDO. Only thing that would preclude a new license being leased/bought would be another exclusivity license for someone else, or a ridiculous price increase that Turbine won't/can't pay.

If DDO stays as a niche game, and for all intensive pruposes it will, I wouldn't expect there to be a big enough ROI to justify doing a version 2 in the near future.

ROSE Online was released December 1st, 2005, and its still alive and well as a F2P MMO. Ragnarok Online was released in 2002. EVE Online 2003. Maple Story 2003.

I dont see a reason why DDO wont be around for another 5 years or more. The game is only 7 years old.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    LOL They had their shot at NWO, and I was looking forward to it, until I realized that NWO is basically any other PW game with D&D terms used for abilities and locations. Turbine could take a page from their crafting system though, but other than that, PW has a nice little set of clone games, and the MMO fanbase is very love/hate about them.

And no way Hasbro is going to let a computer game be developed on an old version of D&D.
    So any DDOx would be 4th Ed, or 5th Ed if they ever release it.
    Their mistake. This is why the pathfinder MMO will grab all the old school D&D heads. It may not be the largest market by any means, but it is a very loyal market.

Last, it is also not a given that Turbine would be the company that designed that DDOx.
    Look at what happened to NWN : Bioware for the first one, Obsidian for the second one, Cryptic/PWE for the online version.
    Yeap, WB/Hasbro are just working that license arent they. D&D is a popular name in the industry, and the name alone will attract people.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

If nothing changes we have about a year before we hit the iceberg.

4-5 new raids worth running and 10-15 more quests and it might be longer. Maybe 2-3?

A hamster-wheel is not an end-game.

I don't think DDO is going anyplace anytime soon. I mean, Asheron's Call is still around. Plus, Hasbro likes money and will likely renew the license if they feel profits can be made.

Development may run dry, servers may merge, and the die-hard faithful may be all that remains... but I really doubt that DDO will shut down in the foreseeable.

My hope is that one they stop actively updating the gaem, they at least leave a server or two open and running. I beleive there are enough hardcore players out there who will keep playing long after the normal life cycle ends. I'm one of those players.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    My hope is that one they stop actively updating the gaem, they at least leave a server or two open and running. I beleive there are enough hardcore players out there who will keep playing long after the normal life cycle ends. I'm one of those players.
    Cannot happen, the game needs revenue and since more people own content than lease (more Premiums over VIP, this is of course and assumption) you need to get them to spend money.

Content does this, it's really the only thing you have to buy.

Seriously, people will buy Otto's boxes for a dead game? No way, since this isn't a sub-only game it needs to release content to get revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Cannot happen, the game needs revenue and since more people own content than lease (more Premiums over VIP, this is of course and assumption) you need to get them to spend money.

Content does this, it's really the only thing you have to buy.

Seriously, people will buy Otto's boxes for a dead game? No way, since this isn't a sub-only game it needs to release content to get revenue.
    I didn't say leave it open for free. Keep the old game out there with subscription service and some basic DDO store amenities and I'll keep playing and paying. No need for a dedicated staff to support it, just someone to jump in to keep the servers running and the network routes open.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    I didn't say leave it open for free. Keep the old game out there with subscription service and some basic DDO store amenities and I'll keep playing and paying. No need for a dedicated staff to support it, just someone to jump in to keep the servers running and the network routes open.
    There's no way they can go sub-only since they enacted the premium model.

Default I just hit year 14 with my Ultima Online subscription

I think DDO will enjoy a long run - Part of what keeps me tied to the UO franchise is the amount of "Stuff" I have in game. Not really logical, since it could go away at any time, but I do enjoy logging in once and a while and playing for old time's sake. If that game can survive with virtually no updates to a modern engine, I think DDO can go at least 15 years.
    Keep it fun out there . . .

Calling NWO anything related to D&D is like calling a butter knife Excalibur.

I bite my thumb at NWO.

Going F2P has been profitable for them. They wouldn't put any time and effort into expansions if they weren't making money. As long as they are making money DDO will be around. Everquest is still around. Ultima is still around.
    Turbosilk Boomstick
    Completionist Sorceror XVIII
    Intel Rq'd - Orien

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast