Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    ...and not _braking_ their own rules of conduct...mods are well versed in communication, and know how to word things...
    Irony?

OH! Wh00t! 3000 posts! Where's my cookie?!?!?
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 09-17-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Community Member

I completely disagree. Staying niche is the lure of DDO for many of its playerbase from the very beginning. Their refusal to migrate fully into Neverwinter was proof of that. But like I said all along, there is room for more than one player experience. Nostalgia and niche matters. Especially for us old school D&D players. And that constitutes a larger playerbase than Everquest and WoW combined.

The potential playerbase for a new DDO cannot be seen as just the DDO audience, its everyone who has ever sat down and played a single game of Dungeons & Dragons in the last 40 years.
    That last statement is pure marketing speak, and easy enough to test out, since we already have DDO as it exists today. Fact is, a lot of the D&D players of years gone by moved on and aren't looking for an MMO at all. I didn't even know DDO existed until 2011. So if we look at realistically, who is going to jump onto a DDO2 in the first couple of years, it's current MMO gamers who are D&D fans, a verifiably much smaller population than anyone who ever rolled a d20 once in their lives. Pare that down by how many of those have real disposable income worth chasing (in an economy that relatively sucks), and now you're getting at the real market returns. The statement was almost certainly used to sell people on building DDO1, so it's laughable they would get away with using it a second time.

Turbine could market DDO2 better, you say? There's no evidence they know what the word marketing means. I've not seen evidence of a decent branding person inside of Turbine yet. They're at best, average at pushing their own product, so the idea that a new product from them would create a crashing wave of new customers is a tsunami of imaginative proportions.

But, for kicks, let's look at the things they would have to do:

1. Build new backend infrastructue.
    2. Build new client.
    3. Transition plan for existing players.
    4. Increase, almost double, staffing to support existing DDO, while staffing to build new.

Now, look at the economy (as opposed to when DDO was released):

1. Sucks for most people.
    2. Casual people are transitioning to mobile devices (tablets/smartphones), where the market is exploding, and mobile gaming.
    3. Personal computers as a must have household item is fading as an idea.
    4. People have nearly infinite entertainment choices at their fignertips that would be easier to consume than DDO2, so the idea they would engage in one that requires a large degree of thinking is massively misreading public tastes.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I've run businesses, capitalized software and physical projects, and lead teams in software projects that ran from millions to hundreds of millions of dollars. There's no way I'd green light DDO2 at this point unless you had absolutely rock solid accounting evidence that you would ROI both the capital required and increase the long term revenue stream more than you could just with DDO upgrades. Even worse for you, I can compare any statement to the reality of DDO and a real market share that exists not on a marketing powerpoint.

No way a greenfield DDO2 gets green lit. You might as well set the large pile of capital needed on fire, the ROI will be about the same. Turbine will milk DDO as long as it produces and there's no set economic model that says they need a DDO2 in the near term. There's also a risk in upgrading DDO to the point that people's, constrained by budgets, machine's don't keep up, and your market share gets smaller.

Plus, you're way over-thinking licensing. Licenses aren't special, and there's no way customers should be privy to the details of the agreement. That's just bad business protocol all around. They're simply an IP contractual arrangement and they generally get renewed without fanfare, so long as the parties are happy with the financial outcome. Inferring much otherwise is reading some serious tea leaves.
    Last edited by myliftkk_v2; 09-17-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Community Member

This is one of those questions that always leaves industry outsiders guess. The only real answer is we don't know.

It's unlikely that DDO is unprofitable or will be in the foreseeable future. It seems that the number of players for true unprofitably of an ongoing MMO is in fact very small. Apparently the Matrix Online was down to 500 active players before it was deemed unprofitable.

There are other reasons games get shut down though: Draw from other games owned by the company, desire to use human resources elsewhere, system failure with high replacement costs, mediocre returns combined with corporate disinterest, etc. None of those seem particularly pertinent, and the fact that it supports a floundering but valuable IP (D&D) means it might even be run if slightly unprofitable.

Neverwinter's launch and massive flop probably means there won't be another shot at a D&D MMO for at least another 8 years if ever. It also reinvigorates Hasboro's interest in DDO as the D&D brand's presence in online gaming.
    Gildus, Sabathiel, Einion, Yhvain

Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    That last statement is pure marketing speak, and easy enough to test out, since we already have DDO as it exists today. Fact is, a lot of the D&D players of years gone by moved on and aren't looking for an MMO at all. I didn't even know DDO existed until 2011. So if we look at realistically, who is going to jump onto a DDO2 in the first couple of years, it's current MMO gamers who are D&D fans, a verifiably much smaller population than anyone who ever rolled a d20 once in their lives. Pare that down by how many of those have real disposable income worth chasing (in an economy that relatively sucks), and now you're getting at the real market returns. The statement was almost certainly used to sell people on building DDO1, so it's laughable they would get away with using it a second time.

Turbine could market DDO2 better, you say? There's no evidence they know what the word marketing means. I've not seen evidence of a decent branding person inside of Turbine yet. They're at best, average at pushing their own product, so the idea that a new product from them would create a crashing wave of new customers is a tsunami of imaginative proportions.

But, for kicks, let's look at the things they would have to do:

1. Build new backend infrastructue.
    2. Build new client.
    3. Transition plan for existing players.
    4. Increase, almost double, staffing to support existing DDO, while staffing to build new.

Now, look at the economy (as opposed to when DDO was released):

1. Sucks for most people.
    2. Casual people are transitioning to mobile devices (tablets/smartphones), where the market is exploding, and mobile gaming.
    3. Personal computers as a must have household item is fading as an idea.
    4. People have nearly infinite entertainment choices at their fignertips that would be easier to consume than DDO2, so the idea they would engage in one that requires a large degree of thinking is massively misreading public tastes.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I've run businesses, capitalized software and physical projects, and lead teams in software projects that ran from millions to hundreds of millions of dollars. There's no way I'd green light DDO2 at this point unless you had absolutely rock solid accounting evidence that you would ROI both the capital required and increase the long term revenue stream more than you could just with DDO upgrades. Even worse for you, I can compare any statement to the reality of DDO and a real market share that exists not on a marketing powerpoint.

No way a greenfield DDO2 gets green lit. You might as well set the large pile of capital needed on fire, the ROI will be about the same. Turbine will milk DDO as long as it produces and there's no set economic model that says they need a DDO2 in the near term. There's also a risk in upgrading DDO to the point that people's, constrained by budgets, machine's don't keep up, and your market share gets smaller.

Plus, you're way over-thinking licensing. Licenses aren't special, and there's no way customers should be privy to the details of the agreement. That's just bad business protocol all around. They're simply an IP contractual arrangement and they generally get renewed without fanfare, so long as the parties are happy with the financial outcome. Inferring much otherwise is reading some serious tea leaves.

And on top of that well written post is the fact that even success and profit are not enough to keep a development company alive if the company they under the umbrella of decides to pull out as NC Soft did to Paragon Studios over City Of Heroes. The game in its last year had some of its best profits, highest subscriber numbers since launch, and an active player base of several hundred thousand people. Thinking just because an MMO is even mildly stable will keep it alive is no longer the absolute icon of the industry we had back when games like EQ1 where the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    DDO2 is already here, it's called ENHANCEMENT PASS

Call me crazy, but I think you are now playing DDO2... or as close as it will ever get to DDO2.

Epic Destinies
    Enhancement Pass
    Focus on Faerun

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    video snipped
    TY, Sir!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karavek View Post
    The game in its last year had some of its best profits, highest subscriber numbers since launch, and an active player base of several hundred thousand people.
    Do you have a source for that? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely interested.
    Gildus, Sabathiel, Einion, Yhvain

Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    Do you have a source for that? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm genuinely interested.
    I dnt personally no, I have the awareness of this from a very avid and educated poster back on the now lost coh forums showing the public records for the companies last business quarter.

as for the subs, that was something CoH was legendary for, the very open info we had. You see each server had load points, if a server was one green dot, it was 10,000 or less people on that server. 2 yellow mean between 10-20 k players where on that server, and 3 red dots meant the 30k was being pushed, many more and the server would deny others logging in.

CoHs 2 top servers rarely didnt have 3 red dots, and most other servers would stay a stable 2 yellow most of the time, with only a few backwater servers staying at green all year long. This meant when most servers where always hitting at least 2 yellow that the game pop was very active and healthy.

Then one day in 2012 Paragon Studios got a call out of the blue that surprised them no less then the player base. They told the playerbase the next day, and waht followed was probably the most amazing player fueled save an MMO attempt ever made. Sadly it was all for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Yes. Pathfinder is absolutely going to own the market after they start.
    Not a chance with no dungeons they will exist for just a brief time until people realize its no more dnd than is NWO

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Even if you don't think so IT IS DDO2. Namely a MMO based on an edition of Dungeons and Dragons that came after DDO.

You can argue all you want the facts are unavoidable.

To use another metaphor : now people are consumers... they don't want to wait on things.
    In rock climbing that means that the teens I manage whine when they have to walk half an hour before they reach the rocks and start climbing.
    They want to start climbing right out of the car.
    In alpinism we have the new generation that goes up to the summit running, without any equipment nor bag... and then needs to be rescued when the weather changes and they don't have anything warm nor waterproof.

In Online Gaming that means that everybody just rush where things happens : at what is called End Game. Even if said End Game is just empty or involves only PvP.

Try to get a group of teens to play a PnP game and come back in a year to tell us how many kept playing beyond the first session.

DDO is still a bastardization of D&D. It has always been and will always be.
    The D&D system is not compatible with online gaming without being bastardized. Otherwise the game would have crashed long ago.

Here are a few examples :
    - Spells have to be learned/selected after a night of rest.
    And if you want to cast 5 magic Missiles you have to take 5 magic missiles.
    When you have used your spells you are out of luck. You will have to relearn them... after a night of rest.
    No Spell Points ( ok it's an obscure options form the rules, but it has been completely bastardized to fit DDO ), just spell slots.

- While we are at it : resting. in DDO it's done through shrines, taverns and when exiting quests.
    in D&D it's done by taking a full night rest sleeping... It cannot be simulated in an online game.

- Loot, especially loot quality and quantity.
    DDO is Monty Haul D&D at it's extreme, take a LVL 15 character from a new player ( so no twink gear ) this character
    will have in items more items than what a full party of LVL 15 characters would have in a normal PnP game.
    And all these items will be of better quality than what he could have had in PnP.

- This leads to inflated HP and CR mobs...
    Between the Spellpoints and the Monty Haul the mob have to be tweaked to survive long enough.
    This means, as the CR formula hasn't changed that the CR become all wacky.

- Last, LVL 20 and more
    Every D&D PnP player knows that by LVL 20 the system starts to unravel, trying to go further up though things like Epic Levels is just splinting a wooden leg.
    D&D is not meant to be played at high level, a LVL 20 character is supposed to have a horde of followers, a castle and territory to manage, no to go
    cavorting with Kobolds in sewers. He has people to do that for him.

DDO is not the closest to any D&D Ruleset. NWO is almost an exact transfer of 4th Edition in a MMO.
    There's less differences between 4th Ed and NOW that there was between 3.5 and DDO at the start of DDO

Now last DDO is the Morgan Car of the MMO. ( for those that don't know : http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/ )
    What the Production at Turbines has been trying very hard to do with it is to make it an Opel or a Ford or a Renault.
    But those that buys Morgans don't buy Renaults, Fords or Opels.
    And those that buys Renaults, Opels or Fords don't care about the Morgan. ( too exotic )

( Yeah I placed it )

Honestly if you want a PnP ruleset that doesn't unravel at high level D&D is not the one to use... Rolemaster would be more efficient and would need less adaptations than D&D.
    I don't think you really have played NWO if you think its nearly a direct translation they actually use no real dnd rules at least no more than champions online does of champions, all NWO uses is names and the look it actually is just another PW game in a new skin

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Please do not compare that drivel to DDO....It's actually Perfect World 3

I would have no issue with 4th edition really assuming they actually make it 4th edition DnD and not just slap the DnD name on an existing franchise of MMOs

Again NWO is part of the perfect world series and has no relation to the NWN series please stop linking them together

No, and I doubt their planning to make one or they wouldn't bother remaking the various systems in the game they'd just save those ideas for their new game.....frankly if they could get a more in-depth and consistent crafting system (we have like 50 half-completed ones) and the cosmetic system got a "blank" for both the ddo store and as a rare drop and beyond tha Turbione keeps updating and polishing various systems I think they could make the current DDO into DDO2

To be fair since the best gear is in raids and all raids are premium content its technically been P2W since F2P launched in 2009...but who really cares this is a cooperative game if the party cleric bought 100 mana pots and is throwing heals out like mad I'm not complaining

Wayfinder is a ghosttown because it was initially debuted as the "foreign" server so no one played on it and even though its been upgraded to a normal server no wants to go to it because no ones playing on it.

Hey my pets are very insulted by you insinuating their bad :P

To be honest DDO doesn't actually have THAT many bugs that matter/can't easily be ignored the main bugs that are actually an issue are related to enhancements and class features not working right...everything else is fairly meh

ie. Ladder bug people get so bent out of shape about...just jump on ladders...no more bug. It's quicker that way anyways.

On the other hand if this game wasn't so much fun with its active skill based combat, its 3.5esque multi-classing, being DnD than the bugs would probably "bug" me more

IOW the game is just fun

Oh god I hate the end gamers the ones who think the rest of the game is like some chore to keep out undesirables or something...their missing like 90% of the game

Tis the reason I'm here...I just wish they could give us a decent crafting system

This I can agree with

HISSSSS!!!!! Traitor :P

DDO is the most unique MMO I've ever played...I've tried to find another MMO that has the same blend of awesome...I've found games with awesome battle systems, I've found games with cool multi-classing system, I've even found a game that likes to put DnD on its label but I haven't found a game that has everything DDO has to offer yet....I truly do think with a competent crafting system DDO could do much better, so I really do hope they have one in the works because right now we have like 50 half-completed crafting systems including Cannith Crafting which is pretty much WoWs Enchanting craft.
    For once I agree with nearly everything you have said and what I don't agree with isn't worth bothering about.

I have my issues with it myself. It is still a game with gorgeously generated graphic art and impressive D&D lore. It just doesnt have anywhere near the depth of DDO in the character creation/leveling and combat areas.
    The lore felt very "tacked on", though. Hell, they even copied DDO's opening -- you've washed up on a beach after a dragon attack. But the utter lack of customization is what kills my interest. And that's why it isn't D&D, imo. Abject failure in character generation, almost no customization ability of your character -- every single character of a given class is identical to every other, except for VERY minor differences. Hell, you can't even decide you want to use a different weapon, or wear different armor. Everything is decided for you.

Want to play a mage who uses summons? Too bad. Wait for them to make a "summoner mage" (if ever). But then you'll be 100% committed to summons, you won't be able to nuke, buff, etc. They made cookie-cutter one-dimensional classes who are only good at one thing. And that's ridiculous.

It feels like I'm playing Gauntlet with updated graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    This is why the pathfinder MMO will grab all the old school D&D heads. It may not be the largest market by any means, but it is a very loyal market.
    Last I heard, Pathfinder MMO has nothing to do with Pathfinder the PnP RPG's mechanics. And has a lot of PvP focus, which is definitely not in keeping with how D&D is usually played. And is an extremely overambitious pipedream that I doubt will come anywhere close to what's promised.

Will there be a DDO 2? I doubt it. Aren't they working on their new AC2?

Anyway, I'd love to play a DDO 2, but with tons of changes:

1. No instances (Other than raids or group dungeons)
    2. I want to make my own quests (NWN has it, I want it too)
    3. Open world. Not EQ, WoW or NWN open world, more what it sounds like ESO will be like.
    4. I want real crafting, the ability to have a trade crafting character, and to be able to go to mountains and mine. (Think UO + SWG)
    5. Housing, instancing is fine. (Not LoTR housing, AO housing)
    6. I want a real reason to group. I want to get ticked that I can't solo.
    7. I want to play an evil character, make a fallen pally and do sick who-ha in my quests.
    8. I'd even like pvp. Cool pvp like DAoC had.

I think DDO could use a massive overhaul and a new mmo could do that. There's no reason for them not to, people are still playing AC.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory.” - Gandhi

Wow great replies, even by some I don't normally agree with. I'll try to get to these tonight after work (darn here comes the boss!)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

I don't think there would be a DDO2 but this is what I'd love about it:

1. If they did it like CounterStrike did: Everything is basically the same except the old content has nicer graphics and some new UI changes. That virtually free game has outlived many many contenders.

If all of the quests they have now existed in DDO2 but with refreshed AI and graphics... I'd be in heaven.

2. Keeping most of the same game mechanics' TRing, multi-classing, etc.(after all, isn't that why we are still here? The gameplay and mechanics are superior to a lot of the stuff out there.)

3. More combat animations and customization of character looks. Fore example: SnB animation is the fruitiest thing ever and should have been update a long time ago. Also, as one advances, so should their attack animation(there is a slight change with BAB but it's hardly noticeable.)

4. It would smooth out all of the hobbled code that existed from previous developers and be more seamless.

5. With great graphics, I don't see why it wouldn't attract new people.

6. If we were able to transfer a character or two to DDO2 that would be amazing. EQ2 saw a huge exodus, I think for the lack of this.

Vorpals that actually see a head fly off instead of turning blue? Limbchopper having a real effect? The gear you put on like gloves, boots, etc... actually changing your appearance?

Not gonna happen, but dreams are free!
    Half-elfs getting a facelift? All good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokól View Post
    Well I have played Dungeons & Dragons video games since Pool of Radiance back in 1988 and most D&D games that came after that.
    Same thing!

I pimped my Commodore 64 (kicked Radio Shack Color computer A$$!) out with an Indus GT disk drive and played all the SSI Gold Box games... Pool of Radiance, Dark Queen of Krynn, Curse of Asure Bonds... then upgraded to a Commodore Amiga (coolest kid on the block... come on now... nothing beat an Amiga - with Newtek video toaster - in 1988!)

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Irony?

Hmmm ... cookies...

Quote Originally Posted by myliftkk_v2 View Post
    For an "industry expert" which you may very well be... you assume an awful lot. You also assume that only current mmo players who happen to have played D&D are the only "demographic". Many more people than you think have a D&D background.

Any well designed mmo with depth and re-playability has a shot in this economy - none the less one with as legendary, and marketable IP such as Dungeons & Dragons. If someone builds a "new shiny" D&D mmo that allows impressive, authentic customization it would draw successfully from many in the mmo market. DDO1 as you call it is the most authentic D&D product on the market in my opinion (sure, its still a stretch but any mmo will be a strectch - after all the rulesets are designed to be played on top of a table, not on the PC) Still, I truly believe Turbine proved they could build an authentic D&D based mmo built around an already established set of rules. Perfect World/Cryptic proved that NWO - without a doubt pulled in many non-D&D pnpers, disqualifying your argument.

I know what you are saying, but it does not hold true with an IP that is a household name such as Dungeons & Dragons. Sure, they'll milk DDO for all it's worth... but some, somewhere WILL jump on the next official D&D mmo project, if they haven't already.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast