Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Default Question for my battle divines: do you feel you should still play healer?

I find myself in the strange place. I built a FvS designed to be a front line combatant...to kill with sword and spell. I didn't want to have to worry about others people's hit points. So lately I grew tired of soloing and had been pugging. Advertised myself as a battle soul and not a healer. Ok..no body seemed to mind..great for me. Yet here I am I group after group with no others healers. Everyone kinda assumed the BYOH attitude. Again good....not so much. I don't know what happened but as soon as red bars started dropping..I started healing. Uh..what? Not what I intended not what I wanted to do...I just couldn't help it. I could cast cure spells so I felt I should. Bah! It was actually my first challenge in a long time...fight, offensively cast, and heal all at once. So I am alone?

My favored soul (who heals, offensive casts, etc) get Cocooned by monks and rangers.

I am not sure about the ethical and moral implications of this, but it is nice to avoid dying while stunned....

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

I find i tend to do more healing & am better at it if i'm not actually expected to be a healer - generally because the party are playing a bit smarter. That lack of pressure means I'm more willing to do it & if I don't manage to catch someone in time then its just an acknowledged thing that hey, not a primary healer so any healing I DO manage to do mid-combat is a nice-to-have

Having said that, my main "battlecleric" type character at the moment is a melee druid which helps even more, as I can just fire off a mass regenerate in the middle of the fight & carry on gnawing enemy faces. If their incoming damage overtakes the 100-150+ healing every 2secs from that (or in REALLY tough scenarios mass regenerate & mass greater vigor together) on EH then frankly my not being a nannybot is the least of the issues in that situation.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Even my healers (when they existed) thought they should do something other than heal.

My battle cleric laughs at people that needs heals, instead making them hang around to be aura-healed. (He's a lonely, lonely guy. Needs all the help he can get.)

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

In Rainbow yesterday no heajlz. Leader barbarian volunteers to take the scepter since it doesn't work with anyone the party anyway. And since he has it he may as well act as scroll healer, trapper, rezzer ... and then gave us a GT back to Meridia. (Way to go Mons).

More and more it's becoming whoever can do whatever to help really.

And in big intense battles, no matter what the BYOH, it really does make sense for divines to toss the masses if you can. I wouldn't have expected it if they said they were not at all healing focused, but I wouldn't be at all surprised either if they tossed them anyway.

It's ok. Just pretend those masses were accidents. And if people are next to you they get heajled.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    In Rainbow yesterday no heajlz. Leader barbarian volunteers to take the scepter since it doesn't work with anyone the party anyway. And since he has it he may as well act as scroll healer, trapper, rezzer ... and then gave us a GT back to Meridia. (Way to go Mons).

More and more it's becoming whoever can do whatever to help really.

And in big intense battles, no matter what the BYOH, it really does make sense for divines to toss the masses if you can. I wouldn't have expected it if they said they were not at all healing focused, but I wouldn't be at all surprised either if they tossed them anyway.

It's ok. Just pretend those masses were accidents. And if people are next to you they get heajled.
    lol..I know. Glad I'm not battle divine freak and giving them a bad reputation...lol.

My FvS is NOT a healer. I took damage over heals, and don't have mass anything slotted, it eats up my sps that I'd rather use somewhere else. That said, flagging for the Cannith raids yesterday, I did throw some single target heals when needed. Nobody expected me to do it, which probably made doing so easier. Once I get to it's last life, I may switch my focus a bit, not to babysitter, but since that life will likely be more AA than FvS, I'll be able to spare the sps for healing, some.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    I find i tend to do more healing & am better at it if i'm not actually expected to be a healer - generally because the party are playing a bit smarter. That lack of pressure means I'm more willing to do it & if I don't manage to catch someone in time then its just an acknowledged thing that hey, not a primary healer so any healing I DO manage to do mid-combat is a nice-to-have
    Exactly that. You're nobody's babysitter, but you do what you can to help the group.

I probably healed as much on my pure Ranger Arcane Archer or Paladin lives as on my caster FvS. I have no problem tossing some of healing when I'm not busy killing mobs, but if you're counting on split-second reactions as your red bar drops quickly and repeatedly, you're going to die.

The main exception is if asked specifically to perform a primary healing role in a raid.

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

I healed Epics last night on my first life Ranger.

If you can heal, and the red bars are dropping enough, then heal.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Raid or Quest?

My decision matrix for most players goes like this: Dedicated job necessary? Are you signing on to do one of them? If so, do it. Help out when you can otherwise.

This is the way I play as well - I'll toss scrolls as needed too. Last week or so while I was prepping to TR my sorc I ended up doing some dual runs of a few explorer zones with some folks. It was more efficient for me to, when I threw a scroll on myself, toss a few on the barbarian I was with at the same time - then we'd get back to killing. He didn't have to SF pot as much, and we cleared the zones faster.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    My favored soul (who heals, offensive casts, etc) get Cocooned by monks and rangers.

I am not sure about the ethical and moral implications of this, but it is nice to avoid dying while stunned....
    I've been known to do that a lot Especially on wizzies actually, since even though they won't get healed by it, a pale master will at least get the temp HP as a quick buffer for them to fire off a negative energy burst.

I still watch red bars on my "main" and scroll heal when I rarely PuG and his cleric life was 7 lives previous.

I agree with the consensus that when people don't expect a "healer" they seem to play smarter and so are easier to play "healer" to...or the people that don't start a quest without a "healer" aren't in the groups I've been with.

If it looks like people are in a bad situation and need a heal I will throw whatever I have available at them to help them.......if they are constantly needing attention and its really draining my resources and making my playing experience not fun, I will have a polite word with them......if I get a rude response I will just let them die.........oh wait I dont have a *real* divine so it doesn't matter. Honestly though I think I would play this way even if I was playing a divine except for situations in certain raids or quests where you have to play the healer role, for an end fight or something.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    I've been known to do that a lot Especially on wizzies actually, since even though they won't get healed by it, a pale master will at least get the temp HP as a quick buffer for them to fire off a negative energy burst.
    On behalf of palemasters everywhere, I thank you.
    Esp as mine's meant to melee, but fails at burst healing.. to the point where I twisted cocoon

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    On behalf of palemasters everywhere, I thank you.
    Esp as mine's meant to melee, but fails at burst healing.. to the point where I twisted cocoon
    Frankly i take the view that if my character has a blue bar (even if only thanks to throwing a power gem in a yellow slot somewhere) then as soon as i'm able, i WILL make sure Cocoon is one of my abilities from that point ongoing, for situations like that, or just for the "no trapper, o well, some extra HP buffer & run" moments

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStormclaw View Post
    I find myself in the strange place. I built a FvS designed to be a front line combatant...to kill with sword and spell. I didn't want to have to worry about others people's hit points. So lately I grew tired of soloing and had been pugging. Advertised myself as a battle soul and not a healer. Ok..no body seemed to mind..great for me. Yet here I am I group after group with no others healers. Everyone kinda assumed the BYOH attitude. Again good....not so much. I don't know what happened but as soon as red bars started dropping..I started healing. Uh..what? Not what I intended not what I wanted to do...I just couldn't help it. I could cast cure spells so I felt I should. Bah! It was actually my first challenge in a long time...fight, offensively cast, and heal all at once. So I am alone?
    I look at it differently. Finally you are reaching the Apex of what it means to be Divine and using all of its skills. You are well on your way to being a Good Divine character player. Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    I healed Epics last night on my first life Ranger.

If you can heal, and the red bars are dropping enough, then heal.
    That's my philosophy too. I generally have a couple heals slotted on all my characters who can do so, and if someone's in need of one I'll toss it at them. Or reconstruct. Or harm (for those mortality-challeneged mages).

The idea of saying "no, you don't deserve my healing" seems really weird to me. Though if someone's being a serious pita I could empathize with it.

I have raise scrolls, what's this healing thing you speak of ;-P

Divines should hjeal, it beats the hell out of tossing out failed destruction attempts and the pittance of damage on bosses your DP will do versus a real damage-dealer.

It's your job, do it.

<whistles innocently and waits for the lynch mobs . . .>

Default Burn the troll

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Divines should hjeal, it beats the hell out of tossing out failed destruction attempts and the pittance of damage on bosses your DP will do versus a real damage-dealer.

It's your job, do it.

<whistles innocently and waits for the lynch mobs . . .>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast