Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Vampire TWF Build

Hey there,

first of all, I'm fairly new to DDO. It's a ****ing great game. Also very nice job you guys here are doing. I already tried a few builds from this Forum.

After Reading this:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5067851
    And Especially this:
    Tempest Vampire
    "Concept: This is kind of an interesting build. This build focuses on advancing through the Tempest tree, trying to get your off-hand, double strike, off-hand double strike as high as you can. Then become a vampire and gain health every time you land a hit. Throw in an attack speed haste boost and you can heal pretty fast
    Class Distribution: 14 Ranger, 6 Wizard; feasible at level 12
    Enhancement/Item Focus: Two-Handed fighting feats/enhancements (though most are granted via ranger). Dex for damage (via the tempest tree). Con and health items/enhancements."

I wanted to try this build and theorycrafted a little. I know it will probably not be that good for Raids, but I'm more of a "play to have fun" player. These are the two things i came up with. I'd like your opinion on these and every improvement you can spare ^^

1. 7 Wizard / 3 Ranger / 10 Monk - Centered Shortsword Poison Vampire
    As Race I thought maybe Drow because of Int and Dex Bonus as well as having the Shortsword enhancements
    - 7 Wizard for Vampire and Rank 4 Spells for selfheal (Death Aura / Negative Energy Burst)
    - 3 Ranger for TWF, Haste Action Boost and 10% Offhand Strike
    - 10 Monk for AC, Dex to hit/dmg, Improved Evasion, Higher Saves, 4d6 Sneak Attack, Ninja Poison, Probably Shadow Double for 6 sec 100% Double Strike

Feats here would be 7 regular, 2 Wizard and 3 Monk
    - Wizard: Mental Toughness and Empower Spell
    - The other 10 are: ITWF, GTWF, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Master of Forms, Grandmaster of Forms, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave and maybe Toughness

2. 12 Wizard / 6 Ranger / 2 Monk
    Race again Drow for Dex/Int, or maybe Elf for Scimitar Enhancements
    - 12 Wizard for Vampire, Wraith, Rank 5 Spells
    - 6 Ranger for Dex to hit/dmg with Scimitars, 10% Offhand Strike as well as ITWF
    - 2 Monk for Evasion and 2 Bonus Feats

Featwise I would drop the Master of forms/Grandmaster of Forms since I'm not Centered with Scimitars and take Combat Expertise and Whirlwind Strike. Third Wizard feat could be Improved Mental Toughness or Spell Focus: Necromancy

A Third Method could be 12 Ranger / 7 Wizard / 1 something
    - giving 100% Offhand Strike, GTWF automatically, Deflect Arrows
    - Maybe Rogue for Trap Skills

So Guys, what do you think? Any Improvements or Suggestions are very welcome. Thanks upfront for anything helpful.
    Again, I know it won't be very good, I just want to have a Life Leeching Vampire.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Gorget; 09-15-2013 at 04:01 PM.

my own experiance with a wiz12/ranger6/monk2 build says that wraith is better then vampire, yes, you dont heal yourself with each hit, but you also get hit 35% less and dodge 3% more attacks (well, and the +1ac you get from the higher dex)

all my healing can be done via the healing aura currently

Love the notion, I'll do what I can to help.

the main problem with a vampire build with evasion, is that picking up so many wizard levels as well as rogue/monk levels really hurts your base attack bonus (BaB). this in turn has a direct effect on the number of attacks you make, so anything less than a 15 BaB really hurts you.
    the easiest way to compensate for it is with tenser's transformation, a level 6 wizard spell; the only problem being ofcourse that it requires at least 11 wizard levels (or a ton of scrolls, should you choose not to go that deep into a wizard)

so of the 2 builds, it would seem the 12 wiz / 6 ranger / 2 monk has more potential to run smoothly and effectively (taking into consideration that the added wiz levels would also grant you better self healing) if you're intent on going for a twf build.

with so many wizard levels, it would be a shame not to incorporate magic in your attacks, and since you'll have low DCs you'll be spending most of your time casting no-save spells, such as acid rain/fog and firewall.
    with that in mind, the henshin mystic cores leaped out at me, granting:
    +5 Fire Spell Power
    +5 Force Spell Power
    Enemies have -2 Fire Resistance against your spells.

which seems ideal for someone who will likely be fighting in firewalls.
    henshin monks also make for great quarterstaff melee characters, and just so happens there are several quarterstaves in DDO that deal neg levels on crit, making them an interesting addition to a build that's dealing neg levels on vorpal strikes.
    this of course takes the build down a different path, which I'm not sure you'd be interested in...
    so I'll stop here

as a side note, in your ninja spy build you can achieve 100% off-hand strikes with +10% from ranger core (as you've stated) and an additional +10% from shintao deft strikes enhancement.

Vampire form is complete garbage and the moment anything throws any light damage at you you will die. Most quests have at least a couple casters in them that will throw out light damage. Now this assumes you're running elite, because less than elite it doesn't matter what you do with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Vampire form is complete garbage and the moment anything throws any light damage at you you will die. Most quests have at least a couple casters in them that will throw out light damage. Now this assumes you're running elite, because less than elite it doesn't matter what you do with the build.
    This.

Well other idea failed. Damn turbine

Anyway, 12/5/3 wizard/rogue/ranger would work. Grab these for trash, these for boss dps.
    Better neg leveling than vampire, average dps with sacrificial (good dps on Agony, though nothing beats negs on trash), evasion, 90% offhand and dex based if you wanted. (And some sneak attack)
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 09-16-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    This.

My thought for a vampiric, high offhand build would be 12/6/2 wizard/fighter/monk.
    Wraith form, centered with whatever (pick bastard swords), 90% offhand, 2x nightmare. Should be fun, seeming they're vampiric, you'll have perm displacement, 25% incorp (35% won't give a large survivability increase), master of earth stance (hp, prr, +1 crit on 19-20).
    The reason I like that? A crit will neg level them, 1d3 worth. (In short, it's a step up from vampire being 1 level on vorpal, yet has a lot higher defence)

Oh. Nightmare heals you 1d3 per hit, instead of vampire forms 1 per hit.
    Did I mention the ability to neg level them?
    Cept you need 8 levels of fighter to get centred with picks/bastards?

As a neg leveller how about 12wiz/4mnk/4ranger, vampire - centred with shortswords - Epic envenomed Blade, slotted with one of those new neg lvl rubies from upcoming mabar? So = 2 Neg lvls per vorpal, + chance of neg lvls per hit (enervation on shortsword) + neg lvls from Triple Dark monk finisher.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterHops View Post
    Cept you need 8 levels of fighter to get centred with picks/bastards?

As a neg leveller how about 12wiz/4mnk/4ranger, vampire - centred with shortswords - Epic envenomed Blade, slotted with one of those new neg lvl rubies from upcoming mabar? So = 2 Neg lvls per vorpal, + chance of neg lvls per hit (enervation on shortsword) + neg lvls from Triple Dark monk finisher.
    Sonofa.. You are correct. I.. uh... I got nothin'. Why do I always forget that.. I swear, that feat needs to be lv 5. A feat pre-req is fair enough, but silly people like me keep forgetting that it's lv 8. /fixing post

Anyway, other idea I was tossing around was 12/5/3 wizard/rogue/ranger. Similar idea, except using these for trash, these for boss dps.
    Grab the top tier rogue enhancement for +1 to dagger crit range, +1 to crit multiplier...
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 09-16-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hucka View Post
    my own experiance with a wiz12/ranger6/monk2 build says that wraith is better then vampire, yes, you dont heal yourself with each hit, but you also get hit 35% less and dodge 3% more attacks (well, and the +1ac you get from the higher dex)

all my healing can be done via the healing aura currently
    My vote goes to this build as well. I've been testing a wiz12/rng6/mnk2 wraith twf on Lamannia over the weekend and I really like what I see. Wraith form + displacement + high dodge rocks. Plus 12 wizard gives access to a lot of utility spells. Coupled with neg lvl and/or stat draining weapons it can be really strong.

Community Member

In fact for a vampire neg levlling build you actually only need 11 lvls of wizard, so 11 wizard/6monk/3ranger = Vampire form + Incorp from Ninja spy + 100% offhand strikes! Maybe this would be a decent split.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. You guys/girls are simply awesome. I think I will try them some time.

I realised yesterday while playing how much I like the Monk class and its Forms. Is the 12 Wiz / 6 Rgr / 2 Mnk using the Forms? Or could it be possible to make a slightly different build using Vampire or Wraith, Monk-Class levels, remaining Centered and then using the Forms?

Maybe use the 12 Wiz / 6 Rgr / 2 Mnk with Shortswords or the afore mentioned Daggers and take the Adept of Forms to GM of Forms feats.

Could this work? 12 Wiz / 6 Mnk / 2 (Fighter maybe for feats)
    - then remaining Centered by using Monk weapons/unarmed?

Edit: While writing this, CoasterHops posted his idea and if it works maybe that would be a nice try XD

the 12 Wiz / 6 Rgr / 2 Mnk split can have access to grandmaster of forms, yes, and if you make a better leveldistribution then i did, then even befor lvl21^^

Community Member

the 12 Wiz / 6 Rgr / 2 Mnk split can have access to grandmaster of forms, yes, and if you make a better leveldistribution then i did, then even befor lvl21^^
    This is the part where I suck most, planning when to take which level to get the best leveling order. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorget View Post
    This is the part where I suck most, planning when to take which level to get the best leveling order. Any suggestions?
    Simple answer - 6 ranger, 2 monk, 12 wizard. In that order.
    You want ranger levels ASAP for ITWF, monk for 2 feats and evasion, wizard last because meh.

Means you use a fair few cure serious pots though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    Simple answer - 6 ranger, 2 monk, 12 wizard. In that order.
    You want ranger levels ASAP for ITWF, monk for 2 feats and evasion, wizard last because meh.

Means you use a fair few cure serious pots though.
    Taking this seems to be the most logical way to me, but wouldn't i have the problem hucka mentioned, I have to choose between GTWF and GM of Forms at lvl 18 and take the other at 21.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorget View Post
    Taking this seems to be the most logical way to me, but wouldn't i have the problem hucka mentioned, I have to choose between GTWF and GM of Forms at lvl 18 and take the other at 21.
    That will happen regardless of leveling order. Ways to prevent that - have a bonus feat at level 18. Said feat must be fighter, none other give GTWF.

Meaning no evasion, no stances...
    Or give up 10% offhand and use fighter levels instead of ranger, with a fighter level at 18. (still recommend last two levels are wizard, so 6 fighter, 2 monk before level 18)

Not sure what I'd do in your situation. Maybe drop Grandmaster of forms, nothing particularly good there. Master of forms gives most of the goodies.
    Last edited by Soulfurnace; 09-16-2013 at 09:51 AM.

I love the concept but the light vulnerability really, really hurts though.

As a PM I can Finger most of those casters before they can annihilate me or I drop undead form first (and can UMD heal scrolls...suboptimal but beats getting single-shotted)...these builds won't have that option. Wraithform is less painful than vampire in this.

As an aside the rogue-splashed drow PM with the auto-search racial is hilarious...much better than how true-seeing was before U19. (any arti/rogue toon with the racial available I expect is similarly hilarious)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinusWyllt View Post
    I love the concept but the light vulnerability really, really hurts though.
    Isn't vampire form's light vulnerability equal to that of all other forms once you take Improved Shrouding?

IAs an aside the rogue-splashed drow PM with the auto-search racial is hilarious...much better than how true-seeing was before U19. (any arti/rogue toon with the racial available I expect is similarly hilarious)
    Yup it certainly boosted my AA/rogue's trapper skills. I was in Siegebreaker last night and in the last fight I just walked around the circle and disabled all the traps. I really liked that I no longer had to stop and search first .
    Last edited by Rhaphael; 09-16-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaphael View Post
    Isn't vampire form's light vulnerability equal to that of all other forms once you take Improved Shrouding?...
    At least reduced to 2x vice 3x and can reduce that further with the Cloak of Night (tier 3 and up to 50%)...though that's a tier 5 ability and requires, what 30 points in the PM tree to reach? Seems like that would stretch the enhancement points meant to go into tempest.

(ETA: no idea of Cloak of Night reduces your own self-healing at all as I haven't tried it yet.)

At least reduced to 2x vice 3x and can reduce that further with the Cloak of Night (tier 3 and up to 50%)...though that's a tier 5 ability and requires, what 30 points in the PM tree to reach? Seems like that would stretch the enhancement points meant to go into tempest.

(ETA: no idea of Cloak of Night reduces your own self-healing at all as I haven't tried it yet.)
    cloak of night reduces positive, light and negative damage, so yes, it also reduces your healing...and yes, getting the tier5 improved shroud leaves enough points for tempest

cloak of night reduces positive, light and negative damage, so yes, it also reduces your healing...and yes, getting the tier5 improved shroud leaves enough points for tempest
    Yeah, I can see that, have to spend 20, anyway, if you want wraithform as an option, so 12 more can't be a big deal.

You've actually used Cloak of Night and observed the reduction? (I know what the text says, that isn't always how it works in game.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast