Community Member

Default Brand New VIP player looking for a guild and many questions please.

Hello my friends,

I grew up to pen and paper dungeons and dragons, I have played muds and many MMO's.
    I just found this wonderful game but I am lost overwhelmed with where to start, there is so much for me to learn.

I am not sure what server to roll on make create a new character.
    So I am looking for and excellent guild with good mature players to can help show me the basics.

I just subbed so I am a VIp but not sure what class and build to make for 1st character as well as which server, so if anyone can give me some advice as well as help me to know which server to go to etc.

Wayfinder only has like 10% of the population of the other servers, so avoid Wayfinder. The rest of the servers have roughly the same population, so any choice is fine. Some may be better depending on your time zone, though.

There are some new-player friendly builds linked in my signature you can take a look at, even if only for ideas. (Just not the challenge farmer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Critasstorm View Post
    Hello my friends,

I grew up to pen and paper dungeons and dragons, I have played muds and many MMO's.
    I just found this wonderful game but I am lost overwhelmed with where to start, there is so much for me to learn.

So I am looking for and excellent guild with good mature players to can help show me the basics.

I just subbed so I am a VIp but not sure what class and build to make for 1st character as well as which server, so if anyone can give me some advice as well as help me to know which server to go to etc.
    Well met Critasstorm!

We are Tyrs Paladium on Ghallanda. You may want to check out our link first that details about our guild. Basically we are an active, medium sized, close knit, and drama free band of adventurers that play to have fun. In Tyrs you will find that good cheer and camaraderie are abundant, along with all the help you can ever ask to get you started in DDO...

Send me a pm with details on age, location and anything else you want to tell us. I look forward to hearing from ya!

Our official guild recruitment thread: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-men-and-women!
    The Tyrs website: http://tyrspaladium.forumotion.com/

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Community Member

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-characters

Is a small uk based guild so not much good if you play evenings usa time.

It may be worth making a quick character on all servers to check how many people are on during when you play. Don't worry to much you'll probably delete your first couple of characters.

ddowiki.com is the best reference going but be warned there are many spoilers in the quest section. Some players are'nt patcient so a good guild will help you a lot. i would'nt accept 'blind' guild invites either.

Have fun and i hope you find a good guild.
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Wardens of Honor on Argonessen is looking for more players. You can find out who we are and whom we seek by going to my post in this forum: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...sen-recruiting. We are primarily from United States, but have 1 or 2 European members.
    Snarly Dwarf Chick With A Great Axe

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Monarch is a new player friendly guild on Thelanis, and is currently open for recruiting. We have approximately 11 active accounts at the moment. Please feel free to take a look at our guild site - you should get a good feel for what we are all about on there. Otherwise, I'd be happy to spend some time with you in-game if you have a character on Thelanis. I'm personally VIP and I think we have a few others as well.

Hope to hear from you and see you in-game!

~Mule
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

Default Do not disregard Wayfinder

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Wayfinder only has like 10% of the population of the other servers, so avoid Wayfinder.
    Please do not disregard Wayfinder because of the population. I played on other servers and found that the increased population actually decreased the amount of fun i was having.
    I still play on Canith, however me personally (and i know lots of Wayfinder players feel the same) find that the smaller population has some benefits that that that lager populations dont'

• Smaller population = better chance of playing with the same bunch of people
    • Definitely less lag
    • Mostly friendly people (not to say that people on the other server are not friendly as well, because they are)

So if you prefer to group up with people you have probably played with before, then Wayfinder is not a bad choice.
    Wayfinder was originally marketed as a German server, however there is a good healthy population of people from all over the world.

Hello my friends,

Welcome to non-pnp d&d! Or some vague resemblance of 3.5 edition, but not really... First thing to note is that Constitution IS a dump stat. By that, I mean, dump any available points you have into con. My first char was a pnp based rogue of which there is little to no use on ddo. It doesn't matter what your AC, dodge, saves, etc, without a good amount of HP.
    Groz, Almostthere, Medicant and Harvezzt. Argo RULES!

From Wisconsin, Live in Iowa, Vist Wisconsin

Hello and Welcome!

DDO is a large world - hope you have a great time exploring it!

As for a frist class / class split-

I would take a look at a batttle bard - there are several builds on the forums. You will get a nice mix of self-healing - casting - dps. Max your your perform and spend some points into Haggle (you need to start banking coin!)

Sarlona is a great place to start - not too big - not too small

You can check us out at Borguild.com

Have a great adventure!

Calling Sarlona my home - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddo.borguild.com
    Alts - Propane, Kerosene, Hexane, JA, Waulter, Acetylene, CNG, LPG, Woodpile, Hexyne, Dilithium Crystal, Geothermal, TidalPower, Windpower, Natural Gas, Antimematter, and Coaldust (and a few others)

Community Member

A nugget of knowledge I wish I'd known about when I started playing was reincarnation and past life feats.

True reincarnation: http://ddowiki.com/page/True_Reincar..._Reincarnation
    Past life feats: http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_life_feats

Once you get to level 20, you can "Reincarnate" back to level 1 and start over. Why would you do this? It allows to to upgrade to a 34 pt build (instead of 28 or 32) on your second life, and 36 points on your third + life.

Every class gets a "Past life feat". So when you reincarnate, you have a passive feat that you acquire from your last life.
    For example, if you do your first life as a Barbarian, and at level 20 you reincarnate. You start back at character creation, choose a new race, new class, have 34 points to spend on creation, and have the "barbarian past life feat" which grants you 10 permanent hit points on all successive lives. Each past life feat can be stacked 3 times. So you could do three lives of Barbarian and have 30 permanent hit points on all following lives. Each class grants a different past life feat. Some are not so great, some rock. Some are only good for certain classes. Play a class on your first life that you know you will like and which has a past life feat that appeals to you. Also I suggest playing a class that is beginner friendly. I'd suggest either a barbarian, Fighter, paladin, or ranger. Those are probably the easier ones.
    Caster classes such as Druid Wizard, Sorcerer, Cleric or favored soul are a bit trickier, and if you are a favored soul or Cleric, people will expect you to heal them and blame you when they die or quest fails
    Specialty classes such as artificer, Bard or rogue are in my opinion on the harder end for new players. Many people will disagree with my breakdown here, but I think it's all in the general ballpark.

Also one thing to keep in mind is that DDO IS NOT D&D. Whatever your classes primary stat is usually needs to be at 18 to start. 16 is ok for some classes and other classes have more than one stat that they need high starting. Other stats can be completely dumped. There's no need for STR on a wizard or sorc (at least on a 28-32 pt build) Fighters and barbarians, don't need wisdom. Yes its nice for those will saves but not worth lowering your STR or CON for.

Also, you will need High constitution on ANY class. I have noticed that this is a common mistake among newbies. No matter what class you are, Monsters WILL attack you I never start with anything below 16 in constitution no matter what class I am.

Community Member

wow so many helpful peeps here!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Finhurst View Post
    • Smaller population = better chance of playing with the same bunch of people
    • Definitely less lag
    • Mostly friendly people (not to say that people on the other server are not friendly as well, because they are)
    Arn't the positive also negitives?
    Smaller population
    • if you dont like someone you will meet them again, fewer groups, higher AH prices
    • World events like Mabar and Treasure of Crystal Cove would open slower
    • fewer groups,
    • higher AH prices
    • Fewer items on AH

For OP What times do you play?

As for class to play, try them all. If you played any other MMOs you may have an idea the role you like to fill.

Dont play Vet players right away, most have run every quest a few dozen times and you wont have a chance to enjoy them.

Community Member

Hello my friends,

Greetings!

My friends and I have a guild on Cannith, Immortal Legion. I believe we can help you out as we help each other quite a lot.

My first suggestion is to treat it like the Table top version. Create your character from your own experience. After that you just need to get through the Korthos Island to reach Stormreach.

We would love to have you and any of your friends join us!

EagleStar

One big caveat:

Do NOT attempt to build a dedicated tank or healer as your first character. Unlike many MMO's these are not "we must have this in order to run" builds, in fact, they are useless or nearly so a large percentage of the time. Dedicated healers are derisively called "healbots" for a reason. Dedicated tanks are only useful in a small number of raids.

There is no MMO healer/tank/dps triumvirate here. Instead it's more like crowdbuster/trapper/target-killer.

You will probably have the best experience if you jump right in and start doing anything that looks interesting, but you're very up front about being new and eager to learn. Don't dump yourself on people, though. It's very easy to alienate people by expecting other people to lead you everywhere by the hand. Tell people you're new and then make it easy on them by paying attention. Don't join in-progress quests if you have no clue where it is or even if you have the pack for it. Aim for doing normal and hard runs first even if you have to solo them in order to learn a quest before you join an elite run with a group. Post lfm's for what you're doing so you can meet people but don't expect someone who knows the quest to join and give you a free ride. Learn the mechanics of quests so you aren't just sitting there lost in The Pit and moaning about it.

It's a fun game but like anything that involves people good etiquette makes it a lot more enjoyable.
    I edited a book!

Thelanis player: Arekkeh, Kimberlei (heroic completionist), Lehren (heroic/epic completionist), Natheme, Terpsikhore

(Did Leslie really ask A/S/L?)

In other news...you can look at static groups, too, if you want a more "traditional" D&D experience. There's a forum here for that. I'll /second the suggestion that you can go to any server and find like-minded folks, though I can't speak to the Wayfinder experience either way as I've not been there longer than a single 100 favor dash.

For novice builds you might want to avoid any that are too MAD (multiple attribute dependent). The first toon I took to 20 was a straight cleric but I really, really missed having UMD as I didn't know what I was missing until late in the game. The second toon I rolled was a 18 ranger/1 rogue/1 fighter that only hit 20 last week.

You'll probably figure out quickly to avoid some kind of LFMs and carrying a full range of remove curse/cure disease/remove blindness/neutralize poison/lesser restoration pots plus cure pots will take some effort on your part to be able to easily afford but that's part of the challenge, right?

ETA: One class that I've enjoyed the most is the artificer. They're potentially self-sufficient right off the rack, especially as warforged.
    Last edited by MartinusWyllt; 12-18-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: bah...semi-necro