Thread: Arti VS Bard

Default Arti VS Bard

Can anyone help me decide what to go. Im a n00b havnt gone higher than 8 and have 28pt. There both fun classes but id rather just pick one. If anyone who has a Warchanter Bard or Battle Engineer can tell me the pros and cons. Warchanter Frozen Fury is AWESOME! and Battle Engineer Full Auto is sweet! Im punching through on Bard master touching a greataxe while Arti using Heavy Repeater.

Some quistions:
    How many F2p Rune Arms are there and good Repeaters?
    If pretty much pure melee warchanter, Otto's Irresistable will it still work?
    Which class is more F2p friendly gear wise?

Thank you. I know I start a lot of threads but plz help
    Turbine Please do the Following and alot of people would come back:
    -Make 1 mega server so at night its still very populated
    -MAKE ALL QUESTS FREE (On Original Game not Expansions so F2p can get to TR3 and be powerful)

Hello,

"Good" repeaters as in just good, not great, there are a few; mainly random loot gen and you can just pick up some named ones in the AH (Like Slaver's repeater from MotUD if you don't have that).
    As for the rune arms, as far as I know none (except the one from Korthos) is F2P. My understanding that each pack (STK, Sands, GH, MotUD, etc...) each has a runearm or two. Good news, you can buy them off the AH but they are not cheap.

I read somewhere in the forums that the resists are insane on EE GH+ and people having trouble landing it, so I'd say no. But I'd rather you wait on someone that has a bard and tried.

I tried a bard (Pre-U19) till level 12 and I haven't had a problem gearing him at all and I am pretty sure you won't have (post U19) as melee weapons aren't hard to find (F2P melees that is). Armor and such is available in both contents (F2P and P2P). With artificer, runearms will be a major headache since they are mostly end rewards or chest loot of packs.
    However, I have a level 15 arti and I am still using the STK runearm (while I know it is not good to do so and must get a better one, am still trying to get the GH one) which didn't cripple my DPS drastically (seeing that I teamed up with a couple other arties and noted their DPS on mobs).

Hope I helped.
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

Quote Originally Posted by Vallar View Post
    Hello,

"Good" repeaters as in just good, not great, there are a few; mainly random loot gen and you can just pick up some named ones in the AH (Like Slaver's repeater from MotUD if you don't have that).
    As for the rune arms, as far as I know none (except the one from Korthos) is F2P. My understanding that each pack (STK, Sands, GH, MotUD, etc...) each has a runearm or two. Good news, you can buy them off the AH but they are not cheap.

I read somewhere in the forums that the resists are insane on EE GH+ and people having trouble landing it, so I'd say no. But I'd rather you wait on someone that has a bard and tried.

I tried a bard (Pre-U19) till level 12 and I haven't had a problem gearing him at all and I am pretty sure you won't have (post U19) as melee weapons aren't hard to find (F2P melees that is). Armor and such is available in both contents (F2P and P2P). With artificer, runearms will be a major headache since they are mostly end rewards or chest loot of packs.
    However, I have a level 15 arti and I am still using the STK runearm (while I know it is not good to do so and must get a better one, am still trying to get the GH one) which didn't cripple my DPS drastically (seeing that I teamed up with a couple other arties and noted their DPS on mobs).

Hope I helped.
    I have some Adventure packs but not a lot. So both easy for F2P, just as Arti the Runearms will be hard. Ok. There both ment to just buff right? or are Arti spells actually pack a little punch?
    -MAKE ALL QUESTS FREE (On Original Game not Expansions so F2p can get to TR3 and be powerful)

Both are great for buffs, but I would take Arti's DPS spells over Bards any day. I have went through the entire Arcanotechnician tree except Tier 5 and the last 2 main enhancements in the tree + halfway through the runearm buffs in the Battle Engineer. With that in mind I have Static Shock, Lightning Sphere and Blast Rod as SLAs with Lightning Bolt as a spell (level 15 Arti).

On SLAs, I have Quicken, Heighten, Maximize and Empower always on and on spells Empower only on and here are some of the numbers:

Static Shock SLA damage = 65 - 170ish
    Lightning Sphere SLA damage = 150 - 225ish
    Blast Rod SLA damage = 300 - 400
    Lightning Bolt spell damage = 55 - 222 (when it hits for 111 and bounces twice on an enemy)
    Blade Barrier spell damage = 240ish per tick (in which case, every time a mob enters or exits the barrier)

My spell power is 121 universal while Lightning is 147

As far as my own bard experiment, till level 12 I haven't had anything that could count as THAT much damage. Therefore I would say bards are for buffs and arties for DPS support. However, if you are going melee bard things might change, since you can use vorpal weapons. Aside from that, I am unfamiliar with melee damage since I didn't play a melee class for long.

Hope that helps.
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

Both are great for buffs, but I would take Arti's DPS spells over Bards any day. I have went through the entire Arcanotechnician tree except Tier 5 and the last 2 main enhancements in the tree + halfway through the runearm buffs in the Battle Engineer. With that in mind I have Static Shock, Lightning Sphere and Blast Rod as SLAs with Lightning Bolt as a spell (level 15 Arti).

On SLAs, I have Quicken, Heighten, Maximize and Empower always on and on spells Empower only on and here are some of the numbers:

Static Shock SLA damage = 65 - 170ish
    Lightning Sphere SLA damage = 150 - 225ish
    Blast Rod SLA damage = 300 - 400
    Lightning Bolt spell damage = 55 - 222 (when it hits for 111 and bounces twice on an enemy)
    Blade Barrier spell damage = 240ish per tick (in which case, every time a mob enters or exits the barrier)

My spell power is 121 universal while Lightning is 147

As far as my own bard experiment, till level 12 I haven't had anything that could count as THAT much damage. Therefore I would say bards are for buffs and arties for DPS support. However, if you are going melee bard things might change, since you can use vorpal weapons. Aside from that, I am unfamiliar with melee damage since I didn't play a melee class for long.

Hope that helps.
    Arti is cool. For using a weapon with spells (Repeater) what tree shud I go?

Otto's Irresistable Dance doesn't have a save and its a very useful spell. There are 2 problems though.
    • short casting range: If the enemy is moving, you can easily miscast as you have to face your target. Enemies like giants can push you out of casting range.
    • spell resistance: warchanters usually dont invest into spell penetration and take splashes in other classes which further lowers the chance to break spell resistance.
    NedrilFavored Soul . GidraMonkcher . LambalorBard . Cannith

As for the rune arms, as far as I know none (except the one from Korthos) is F2P.
    The one from Waterworks, too.

Let me enlighten this a lil bit.

Arti's can be either melee, ranged, or caster. Depending on your play style is what you will choose. Arti gets many great spells like tactical detonation, blade barrier, great sla's, and such. They also have some great buffs like deadly weapons (every dps will love you for ranged/melee), enchant weapons for casters ups spell power by 1, and alignment or all different metal bypasses.

Arti's are great for more than that as they are trap monkeys also so a maxed int caster type will be great at traps, casting, and repeater damage with insightful dam and deadly on your repeaters.

As far as melee do a forum search for juggernaut build great all around build.

As far as rune arms lvling up most chains have them as end rewards or for a few shards or plat can get one from AH. AT end game very cheap in AH or shard house and not very many good ones.

Bards are awesome also they are the jack of all trades type characters. Great CC with songs and if built right with spells. Great buffs, solid dps, and all around fun to play. A warchanter or fatesinger have best CC in game when it comes to fascinate. Biggest issue with that is the zerg nature of this game people tend to run through quests and unless run ahead and control mobs first there will be no time for it.

Irresistable is great on a warchanter against non spell resistant mobs and works great to stop mobs in tracks. Now you won't get that till lvl 16.

Bards are my favorite class, but are not for everyone. They can do a lot once you learn the class and all it's perks.

Then again this game is all about the builds IMO one of the best builds for bard is either 14/4/2 or16/2/2 Bard/fighter/rogue mixes. Look over forums in builds section ther are a lot of these builds there. If don't like copying people's bulds (like me I do my own) it will still give you good ideas on what a good bard build looks like and what can do.

Arti is more friendly than bard is imo to a new player.
    Proud Officer of The Madborn

Quote Originally Posted by Bilger View Post
    Let me enlighten this a lil bit.

Arti's can be either melee, ranged, or caster. Depending on your play style is what you will choose. Arti gets many great spells like tactical detonation, blade barrier, great sla's, and such. They also have some great buffs like deadly weapons (every dps will love you for ranged/melee), enchant weapons for casters ups spell power by 1, and alignment or all different metal bypasses.

Arti's are great for more than that as they are trap monkeys also so a maxed int caster type will be great at traps, casting, and repeater damage with insightful dam and deadly on your repeaters.

As far as melee do a forum search for juggernaut build great all around build.

As far as rune arms lvling up most chains have them as end rewards or for a few shards or plat can get one from AH. AT end game very cheap in AH or shard house and not very many good ones.

Bards are awesome also they are the jack of all trades type characters. Great CC with songs and if built right with spells. Great buffs, solid dps, and all around fun to play. A warchanter or fatesinger have best CC in game when it comes to fascinate. Biggest issue with that is the zerg nature of this game people tend to run through quests and unless run ahead and control mobs first there will be no time for it.

Irresistable is great on a warchanter against non spell resistant mobs and works great to stop mobs in tracks. Now you won't get that till lvl 16.

Bards are my favorite class, but are not for everyone. They can do a lot once you learn the class and all it's perks.

Then again this game is all about the builds IMO one of the best builds for bard is either 14/4/2 or16/2/2 Bard/fighter/rogue mixes. Look over forums in builds section ther are a lot of these builds there. If don't like copying people's bulds (like me I do my own) it will still give you good ideas on what a good bard build looks like and what can do.

Arti is more friendly than bard is imo to a new player.
    Hmmm... Well I'm still deciding cause warchanter is badass with frozen fury and ottos. Freezing them or making them dance then smack them with a greatsword. But on the other hand artis r in the back have all buffs to boost damage. Throw blade barrier full auto and light them up! Then tact detoantion here and there. The promblem I have is on my arti my search is horrible! I'm at level 7 with 17 search. And my only concern with bards are will my dps be as good as arti? And why r u taking 2 fighter and 2 rogue, rogue for evasion and fighter for?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar1996 View Post
    Hmmm... Well I'm still deciding cause warchanter is badass with frozen fury and ottos. Freezing them or making them dance then smack them with a greatsword. But on the other hand artis r in the back have all buffs to boost damage. Throw blade barrier full auto and light them up! Then tact detoantion here and there. The promblem I have is on my arti my search is horrible! I'm at level 7 with 17 search. And my only concern with bards are will my dps be as good as arti? And why r u taking 2 fighter and 2 rogue, rogue for evasion and fighter for?
    I'd caution that with a Reflex save of (14+CHA bonus) at best, Frozen Fury isn't going to scale well at endgame. You'll find that most everything will save against the freeze effect 95% of the time, especially since as a melee bard you'll have to boost your STR and CON as well as your CHA. Arti repeater damage, at least, scales better into endgame.

Artis shouldn't have a problem with skill points, they're INT-based and have a generous amount per level - you'll be able to get your Search up, if its not capped right now.

2 Fighter is for the 2 extra bonus feats, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I'd caution that with a Reflex save of (14+CHA bonus) at best, Frozen Fury isn't going to scale well at endgame. You'll find that most everything will save against the freeze effect 95% of the time, especially since as a melee bard you'll have to boost your STR and CON as well as your CHA. Arti repeater damage, at least, scales better into endgame.

Artis shouldn't have a problem with skill points, they're INT-based and have a generous amount per level - you'll be able to get your Search up, if its not capped right now.

2 Fighter is for the 2 extra bonus feats, probably.
    He is right about the frozen furry at end game it is useless other than extra damage for a hit.

Two fighter is for two extra feats on a feat starved class. All martial weapon prof and such. If not going pure that is one of best option can use fighter feats for PA and IC.(power attack and Improved crit.

As he says your search should be fine especially on a class that has plenty of points and should have put (especially a caster type) most points into Int with insightful damage and such later will see a nice jump in repeater dps and rogue skills will be a non issue.

Like said before look at the forums build sections you can get some great ideas there for what you can do or are doing wrong,
    Proud Officer of The Madborn