Community Member

Default Greensteel Weapon Type for Undead

Hello rogues,

I'm thinking about making a GS +++ for dealing with undead. This character is going to be a dex-based Drow pure rogue assassin using daggers. However, daggers won't help getting through most undead DR, so I'm curious what people would recommend for a weapon type for this item.

Kukri can take advantage of dex to damage/to hit and beats zombie slashing DR, as well as utilizing TWF, but may not be worth taking proficiency feat in case I TR into another class.
    Quarterstaff does skeleton blunt DR, also has dex to damage/to hit, and if I TR this can be used with proficiency by all classes.
    Light mace has to use strength to damage/to hit, but has proficiency by all (again, in case of TR), can make use of TWF, and beats skeleton DR.

I know this is mostly a preference thing, so I'm just looking for advice. Additionally, if two of these weapons could be made, what do you think would be best? 2 kukris? kukri/light mace? quarterstaff/kukri (both types of DR)? 2 maces?

Thanks

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

I'd say you can't really go wrong with a quarterstaff, plus stick-twirling has the added advantage of looking cool
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Well, you might also consider which weapon provides for the widest critical range for you current life and the next. Not sure why, but I suspect it might make things more interesting.

In my previous Rogue life I was str based and used triple positive morning stars.

Now that I have TR'd into a Dex based halfling, I have decided to make triple positive kukris. So far they are working pretty good. I still have the morning stars and even though my str is only 22 or so at level 20 the morning stars do ok. I do like the idea of using a triple positive staff though
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Light mace uses dex if you have weapon finesse feat, and the dex to damage from the assassin core allows anything finesse-able to use dex for damage.

Quarterstaff is good for a few reasons. Only need to make one so it halves the cost, and its a blunt weapon.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

One of the nice things about the 3x Positive Greensteel weapon against undead is the fact that most of its damage does not come from the initial physical damage, but from the other effects. Now that Disruption still applies damage to even undead that cannot be instantly "Killed" it is especially valuable.

As for weapon proficiency for martial weapons - you can turn to the "Master's Touch" standby to give yourself proficiency - Scrolls will only help a single handed weapon that you need to place in your Off hand to cast.

Now if you are still concerned with breaking DR I believe Blunt actually is the greater return of damage for Undead. Light Maces are good for the THF option.

Kukris for Zombies and Light mace/Quaterstaff for Skeletons/Liches. I’d also consider the Precision and Opportunist feats.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Meh, if you're a rogue you should be able to scroll Tensers. Therefore, make a Triple Pos Maul. I use it just fine on my rogue, and it is technically the best weapon for undead damage-wise without all of the procs. Plus, it's fun lol.
    XxMazexX the Rogue SneakATank, 27th Life, Completionist.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkantios View Post
    Meh, if you're a rogue you should be able to scroll Tensers. Therefore, make a Triple Pos Maul. I use it just fine on my rogue, and it is technically the best weapon for undead damage-wise without all of the procs. Plus, it's fun lol.
    That's not a bad option either at least for higher levels. Only thing I'd be concerned about is scrolling Tensers at level 12 when GS weapons become available (think I'll have around 24 UMD at level 12 while wearing a charisma Ioun Stone. Don't really want to switch in a whole bunch of extra gear for a 1 min spell) . Well, and for future lives that don't have proficiency or high UMD.

You're probably spending a few points in the Acrobat Tree anyway (Haste Boost, Subtlety), so you're already getting Dex-to-hit for Quarterstaves and the second Acrobat ability even offers Dex-to-Damage for one additional AP.

This is why, for a Dex-based Assassin, Triple Positive Quarterstaves are a great option against Skeletons and Liches.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

I think staves are a great option. This is probably the only weapon that is available to all classes and will not make monks un-centered. You will lose some damage against zombies/mummies/etc. but the versatility I think is worth it.

Blunt is the most common DR on undead, and it is on a lot of important undead too.

While DR/slashing is a pain, it doesn't appear on more than a few really important mobs in the entire game, and it never gets as high as the numbers on DR/blunt (elite Abbot and elite lich Sorjek are both DR 50, not tested Truthful One but think his DR is much lower).

Pay serious attention to crit profiles -as a rogue you will be bypassing quite a bit of fortification, so do not neglect crits.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Personally I'm fond of a scimitar, but (while the weapon damage might not be spectacular because it's piercing) a rapier could potentially be used by anyone, especially a drow. Nearly every class is proficient with rapier. The Rapier does also crit on an 18-20x2, so you will crit pretty often (I guess depending on the fort of the undead in question lol) Also, being an Assassin, if you have Weapon Finesse you can use your dex for damage with it (I think so, anyway) Since you can use your dex for damage, it helps to overcome a bit of that DR. However, the best undead killier isn't about weapon damage: Good, Good Burst, Good Blast with a Disruption proc. It even comes with a Raise Dead clicky!

Oh, something I wanted to add about Rapier-- everyone but Artificer, Druid, Monk, Cleric, Favored Soul, Sorcerer, and Wizard is proficient. However, Sorc and Wiz can easily take Master's Touch, Monk would have to splash fighter kensei if they wanted to be centered, making them automatically proficient, and a cleric/favored soul warpriest could consider taking fighter or paladin levels. As for Arti and Druid, they're both a bit more...circumstantial.
    Last edited by thouston07; 10-21-2013 at 01:33 AM.