Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    No real point here, just a turtle hug for her Mossa! And a question...Dolurrh. The way my son described it to me (he plays way more Eberron than I do) is that it's the plane of the dead, and everyone goes there regardless of how they lived their lives and faces the same decay into apathy and despair. Is that really how the plane works or is the offspring having one over on old mom who spends most of her gaming time in Faerun, Ravenloft, and Greyhawk?
    Dolurrh is the destination of every single soul that dies in Eberron. Once your body dies, your soul goes there, and slowly, but surely, gets all their memories from their living life removed, until they are a clean slate and never returns.

That is the (in-game) reason why "Raise Dead" have a time limit of a few days before it no longer works. After some time, the soul you are trying to push back simply don't remember being alive, and do not wish to leave Dolurrh. More powerful divine casters can still bring souls back (Ressurrection), but is a considerably harder task.

Obviously, this affects the way some religious philosophies see the world. Silver Flamers believe that the most righteous souls join the Flame instead of going to Dolurrh. Blood of Vol believes that once your soul goes to Dolurrh, you lose your "inner divinity", and is no longer able to seek divinity on your own. The most numerous faith of the Host just believe "this is what the Host decided, and is how it shall be".

Intelligent undeads (wights, ghosts, wraiths, vampires, mummies...) don't have a soul. They have evil power with a glimpse of their former personalities guiding their bodies. Liches are the exception, because they lock their souls in their philacteries while they are still alive.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    Eberron has a Shadowfell, they call it Dolurrh. Yes, this is canon: (picture removed because it is big)

Yes, there are Shadar-kai who live there. Some of them also live in Mabar (Eberron as a setting has always leaned towards "critters live wherever it would make sense for them to live" rather than "critters only come from ONE PLACE and ONE PLACE ONLY!").

As for the folks getting huffy about Shadar-kai in their Mabar event, look at it this way:

1) Mabar is DDO's Halloween festival. Halloween is about a lot more than just undead. The fact that it's been undead-only up until this point was ignoring plenty of other Halloween-themed stuff that they could have been including.

So it's fine from a thematic perspective.

2) As mentioned above, Shadar-kai DO exist in the Mabar.

So it's fine from an in-game perspective.

3) As plenty of other folks have pointed out, Mabar has been pretty much a Cleric kill-fest up until now. God help you if you wanted to play, say, a rogue. Now, everybody has something they can kill.

So it's fine from a game balance perspective.

4) Then again, it is a change. And we all know change is bad and a sure sign the devs have lost touch with what made this game fun way back in the primordial past.

So it's not fine from a forumite perspective.
    The complaining will continue because lots of people have made and leveled certain types of characters purely for this event. They feel they have put enough time an effort into those characters that they do not care to see anything resembling change. That many of us would prefer not to do that and bring our regular characters to the event is unimportant to these folks. They do not care if the changes fit Halloween or if the new mobs come from Mabar too.

It is the same old argument. Is the event for everyone? Or just for the folks that prepare specifically for it? They like the former and Turbine seems to be aiming for the later.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaimberland View Post
    Use disruption weapons.
    If you frequently can kill an undead with a disruption weapon before the cleric or arcane in your party kills them all, let that person know that they should reroll.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thank you Amossa! I can always count on you. So the kid wasn't kidding, but man is that not a giant size enticement to get to some form of intelligent undeadness! And that's doubly hilarious coming from me, since I have an emotional aversion to most of the undead in the game, just as my tabletop parties what I've done to avoid or destroy them. LOL
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ka0t1c1sm View Post
    If they want to introduce the Shadar-Kai to the Mabar festival that's fine. As others have pointed out it's lore appropriate. If they want to do it to promote the x-pack, well fine. They're trying to run a business. I get it.

But why does it have to be ALL Shadar-Kai? Why can't it be an even split between them and the undead we used to have? The level 20-25 on Lamannia that I tried would spawn maybe 1 lich for every 6-8 Shadar-Kai and NOTHING ELSE. Bring back the giant skeletons. Bring back the vampires and the ghouls and ghasts and wraiths. Throw in the Shadar-Kai and the succubi and let them spawn equally and give everyone a role. Divines and Arcanes nuke the undead while the melee cross blades with the Shadar-Kai.

Why is that difficult?
    This. I really enjoyed Mabar last year, but the lack of variety in the Lamannia version was a bit of a downer. Also someone should check all the npcs, they seem to be of the opinion we're only fighting undead still.

Community Member

You know at first I was abit annoyed about the mob change up to. Even saw complaints from rogue players as pure QQ considering my own rogues( I only play rogue blends) found the tools and skills to bring down even the mightiest dracolich with confidence.

But then I recalled back to my fond days on City Of Heroes, and their halloween events that evolved over time. I cant see anything wrong with added some classis like for low lvls trolls,goblins, bats, rats, etc.

Higher lvls demons and devils certainly fit well enough. Id love to see nightmares added to the game and slipped in as a surprise during the event hint hint wink wink devs.

Not to mention night hags, oh and vorpal bunnies would be great I still have real world waking nightmares about what one did to me once in Arcanum.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ahpook View Post
    If you frequently can kill an undead with a disruption weapon before the cleric or arcane in your party kills them all, let that person know that they should reroll.
    game must ahte you babe i swear I always roll at least 4 twenties at the opening of nearly every fight in DDO. And I nearly always roll 1s on trap disarms, and I love playing rogues so clearly the game likes to torment me abit to But seriously there are many on these forums who will tell you that any good warrior with a good undead beater is heavy competition for even the best divines, now divine warriors are a whole nother matter.

Eberron has a Shadowfell, they call it Dolurrh. Yes, this is canon:
    Good post

Quote Originally Posted by Varinox View Post
    Shadar-Kai DO NOT BELONG in an Eberron themed Event!
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    How are you explaining faerunians showing up on an ebberonian planar coterminous event?

From the official 4th edition entry on Shadar-Kai (which is the edition we're pulling them from):
    "SHADAR-KAI IN EBERRON In the EBERRON® campaign setting, shadar-kai are
    much the same as presented in this article. They were
    once human, and in their fear of death they made a
    ritual pact with the Traveler and moved to Dolurrh.
    Now they are grim inhabitants of the Shadowfell who
    fight against the apathy and gloom of that place by
    living frenzied, unpredictable lives. Most shadar-kai
    revere the Dark Six, favoring the Traveler and his
    doctrine of cunning, change, and deception. Although
    shadar-kai tend to be unaligned, many of them also
    venerate the Shadow, the Fury, and the Mockery—the
    latter of which gives shadar-kai their tradition of ritual
    tattooing, scarification, and body piercing as a way to
    combat fading into Dolurrh’s shadows. A few shadar-
    kai also worship Balinor, for the hunt, and Dol Dorn,
    for prowess in war. From their settlements in the
    Shadowfell, shadar-kai venture to all corners of Eber-
    ron
    in search of experiences, wealth, and power. They
    prefer the cities of Khorvaire, such as Sharn, where
    they can mix into the chaos of urban life"
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    Good post

From the official 4th edition entry on Shadar-Kai (which is the edition we're pulling them from):
    I just want to say, after listening to my son and reading Amossa's post, I really really don't blame them and probably would be considering that option myself if I actually LIVED in Eberron. I mean really, Dolurrh seems like a horrible end for people who tried to live well and kindly to others!
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    I just want to say, after listening to my son and reading Amossa's post, I really really don't blame them and probably would be considering that option myself if I actually LIVED in Eberron. I mean really, Dolurrh seems like a horrible end for people who tried to live well and kindly to others!
    And that is why they must try to live the best they can. There is no "eternal reward" waiting for you on the afterlife.

Or maybe there is one, after your soul get cleaned up, and finally able to migrate to the Astral Sea and meet the Host true lair and live in bliss forever. Zillions of souls were sent to Dolurrh since Eberron's creation, and once they become blank, you can't distinguish one from the other anymore. Maybe some are vanishing. Who knows?

But knowing that there is no afterlife is what drives out some major religions in the setting: Blood of Vol chases divinity in life, Undying Court hold the souls of their ancestors and in some cases revive them as Deathless (positive energy undeads) to advise and guide all the other Aereni, and together they have enough power to rival Argonessen and the Lords of Dust.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    Good post

Now they are grim inhabitants of the Shadowfell who
    fight against the apathy and gloom of that place by
    living frenzied, unpredictable lives. Most shadar-kai
    revere the Dark Six, favoring the Traveler and his
    doctrine of cunning, change, and deception. Although
    shadar-kai tend to be unaligned, many of them also
    venerate the Shadow, the Fury, and the Mockery—the
    latter of which gives shadar-kai their tradition of ritual
    tattooing, scarification, and body piercing as a way to
    combat fading into Dolurrh’s shadows. A few shadar-
    kai also worship Balinor, for the hunt, and Dol Dorn,
    for prowess in war. From their settlements in the
    Shadowfell, shadar-kai venture to all corners of Eber-
    ron
    in search of experiences, wealth, and power. They
    prefer the cities of Khorvaire, such as Sharn, where
    they can mix into the chaos of urban life"
    This works if the event was Dolurrh and not Mabar.

1) Mabar is DDO's Halloween festival. Halloween is about a lot more than just undead. The fact that it's been undead-only up until this point was ignoring plenty of other Halloween-themed stuff that they could have been including.

So it's fine from a thematic perspective.
    Werewolves would probably have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    This works if the event was Dolurrh and not Mabar.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    Werewolves would probably have worked better.
    This won't work, you would have a silver flame cruisade on your hands with manditory testing to get in and out of the city.
    Shifters on the other hand(great chance to introduce them, looking at you turbine!)

keep yer smelly emo race out of our eberron event and introduce real core and eberron races.
    Gnomes (you know, the core races, whille you're at it, put a house Sivis post office up in town and put a check box in the ui setting for the house S mail icon, works wonders for the settings immersion)

Shifters, we have the tech, give'm a wheremastery racial line, this would allow for great player options, makes good villans too.

thiefling/aasimar, highly requested for many years now

But instead you leave eberon behind,

Introduced iconics nobody asked for but looked like a nice marketing trick to get people into the forgoten realms faster? nice cashgrab/stab in the back
    a slightly changed WF (and still doesn't work as intended, put those imunities back already)
    A slightly changed human with a enlarged dwarven frame?
    An emo assasin?
    A sun elf???
    We were not waiting for these.
    Where are our core and eberon races?

oh well, enough of topic ranting, i understand the move to create iconics but throw us a bone or two here.
    and keep them out of Mabar please, it's the wrong plane.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345