Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Making Money As Free To Play Player

As a free to play player I find it difficult to make $. My main source of income is terrible loot from instances that I usually sell to NPC's for money unless its a pure item such as Dexterity +4 ring or something which i would attempt to try to sell on auction. I know there are lots of items in the game and some must be worth something due to rarity or difficulty in obtaining.

One such item i heard of is Muck's Doom, superior version of Muckbane, and is obtained from the optional monster at the bottom of "The Pit". Since I tried this on my rogue (level 12) I can run it all in 1 hour using a hire for heals on normal. Tried it a few times and gave up cause it was late, but I have seen it sold from 150k - 300k or more recently. Another rare item which I can't get as a Free To Play player is called the Feather Ring and is simply a level 1 ring with feather falling on it, which is on at all times. I recently found a pair of level 1 bracers with feather falling which is also on at all times. The feather ring sells for 50k - 100k + very easily, so shouldn't my bracers which literally do the exact same thing sell for equal value, or does some how the simple fact that one is a bracer and one is a ring make it completely different (you can easily swap items so this shouldn't make it a game changer in terms of value).

This being said I am looking for alternative ways of making money, and finding rare items like these seems the best way to get me out of my poor 25k situation.

If you know any items that I could farm for $ let me know, but please don't say essences, since I do craft and actually want to keep those. (Although my crafting levels are only in the 20's)
    Last edited by Jgizle; 09-14-2013 at 09:49 PM.

you are doing exactly what you should be doing but also try
    making a bard/haggle bot to sell items to a vendor for more
    selling major sp pots on the ah
    selling collectables that are used in the stone of change
    leveling up and heading to shroud to farm ingredients
    playing a class that doesn't need many potions/wands/scrolls (see bard)
    some things like ddoor scrolls and invisibility potions can also be sold in mass for quite a bit

as far as rare things to farm, it depends on what adventure packs you have but muckdoom would be one of the f2p options as well as some stuff from tempest spine.
    Elemo IronCast - Patorikku Yama - Happyfruit Wardancer - Toysoldier - Wookiee ~Ghallanda~

Community Member

Adamantine ore from "Relic of Sovereign Past" is a possibility. 15 pieces can be found every run, regardless of difficulty and one need not complete most of the quest to get it. Though, it might be a good idea to see what you can get from trading it in before you start selling it. As many of the items you can get are quite good.

I generally run this part of the level 12 quest on casual first thing upon reaching level 9 for the ML9 heavy fort item you can get, so it's not overly difficult. It is FTP, so that's not an issue either.

While the quest giver is in house D while the quest is accessed from K makes it a bit of a pain. As you don't have to complete to farm it, that is only a one time pain. Just collect the ore, recall and reset to get more.

Community Member

As mentioned, collectables used in crafting are a possible source of income if you make sure you take the time to collect them. Below is a useful link detailing which collectables are used:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Crafting_Collectables

Hero

Just keep leveling up. Higher level quests give more valuable rewards. Selling $&#$ loot at higher levels can be quite profitable.

Hello,

What you have been doing is exactly what everyone (at least to my knowledge) is doing basically. You start off with selling everything you DON'T use to a store/shop (preferably have high haggle so you get more money + Greater Heroism or Heroism buff when you sell). You will start making real money once you hit 20 and go through the higher level quests with better loot.
    Meanwhile it is all about just selling ****, collectables, the odd rare item that you might find. For example, on my level 12 character I found a 30% speed item with Craftsmanship on it which lowered the item's ML from 9 to 8. That alone net me 50K on the AH.
    Later on, if you have any packs (or planning to buy them), Vale of Twilight (a must have pack if you are F2P so you can hit 20 easily) can be a place for loot when you have excess ingredients or aren't doing any Green steel farming.
    Second, comes Gianghold (level 13-14 area) it is a very good pack to buy in general (recommended after Vale) can be a money maker when you kill the dragons in Tor and sell their scales (even with the new item change, the armor is good at that level).

If you aren't planning to buy packs or going pure F2P without any packs; then again, just the previous advice. I made my first 300K just selling to stores and didn't buy gear, just waited till I looted an item I want (which was a bit frustrating but got 300K). Oh, if you are in a guild you can sell to the General Guild vendor in house K, will give more money for each item.

You can also sell to Pawnbrokers (Marketplace for jewelry, HOuse K for armor and House D for weapons) for extra money too.

If I think of something else, I'll post it for you. Meanwhile good luck and I hope I helped.
    I am the architect of my own destruction...

How to Group With Clerics

I'm assuming you only have one auction house slot. This means that one of the things you are looking for when putting something up for auction is how fast the item will sell, so that you can put your next item up for auction.

I think the best way to make money as a lowbie is probably still to deconstruct items (which also gives you some plat) and then sell the essences you get that way. The greater essences, should sell quickly and are also universal enough that you cold sell them on the trade channel and find a buyer quickly.

At least, I'd assume there's still a market for essences, I haven't looked recently.

Farming the pit for muck's doom is not really a great money making scheme. Mucks doom is very rare, and even if you get one, it'll be hard to move. You are probably better of farming durk's got a secret for muckbanes, because you can sell those with a much faster turn over than you could hope to sell a muckdoom. The silver longbow is probably a quicker farm than a muckdoom and probably sells better. Alas, chruch and the cult is closed right now.

Certain crafting collectables can also sell for a considerable amount of money, but I don't think there is high turn-around in that market, so your only auction slot could be locked up for some time if you put on up. The only collectables I think move in high volume are the eberron dragonshard fragments.

-------

So, here's the money making system I'd suggest:

Do quests where you can get many chests relatively quickly:
    Here's a list off the top of my head:

tempest spine runs (as long as you are at level 12, you don't break streak for people running it on elite for bravery. As long as you can keep up, you can follow on the heels of the TR train (who will all probably run distressingly faster than you do, and not really be slowed down in their running speed by anything they encounter) and loot all the chests.

Irestone inlet: has a lot of chests, and you should have no trouble soloing it.

stormcleave outpost used to be run for loot, many moons ago. Now, I think it's a bit long. But it is FTP and does have a lot of chests.

If you can find a group willing do to it, xorian cypher is also worth farming, on the chance you can get a planar gird, which should sell for a considerable amount. But I think that it's too complicated to really qualify as a loot run.

The ataraxia explorer area should be safe enough for you to do, can offer several chests, and the purple mushrooms there will yield fragrant drowshood, which is probably still pretty valuable. Though you may have trouble selling it quickly.

---------

So, make loot run. If you get anything worth putting up on the AH, put it up at a slightly lower price, so that it'll sell quickly and you'll be able to put up the next item. Deconstruct everything else and then try to sell the greater essences in the trade channel.

I find that all loot sells pretty well on the AH, but most well during the medium levels (10-15). If it looks ok, just list it for around 3000-4000 plat. Someone will buy it. I usually make 200000 plat per week that way, and never run out of money. Occasionally, you'll pull higher priced items like tomes - sell those for more. Also, certain items just sell higher than usual, especially recently rare ones, like search, spot, disable and open lock stuff for levels 1-10. Or any item with a +6 ability benefit or +15 skill benefit that is min. level 9.

The longer you run the game, the more you'll figure this out.

Also, I recommend you buying at least something with cash - like the min. no. of TP, just so you can be premium. You'll automatically get a higher bank limit.

Community Member

Spending a small amount on Turbine points would upgrade you to premium, which would give you a lot more Auction House slots, as well as greatly increasing your plat limit.

Deconstructing (in the Crafting Hall) poor random loot will give you about the same cash as vendoring it, plus some essences. Sell the essences if you need cash.

Geoff.

nvm
    Last edited by ycheese123; 09-15-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

That's the way to go. Sell stuff that's valuable for a good price. To know what's valuable, compare AH prices regularly. If you know something that really sells (like e.g. silver khopeshes in the past, or guild slot items) you can even buy stuff from vendors and sell it at the AH. Although this is getting tougher and tougher imo, since the economy is getting more turb-ulent, last update also changed prices for many items.

A single TP-Buy is mandatory, to unlock AH-slots and unlimited (4.3 mil) plat. Buy a 30TP-code for $1 or something, cheapest way to unlock premium.

Main way to make more money: level-up. In the process of doing so, you'll find lots of stuff to sell. Also, in higher lvl-regions, items are worth more. If you happen to find rare ingredients or items on higher levels, they are easily worth several 10k or even 100k (e.g. shroud). You can run high road heroic from lvl15+, it drops +3 tomes in the explorer-area for example. So you can easily sell it for 300k + fees. Think about how many +4 dex gloves you had to sell to get that much money? Random-gen items have dropped so dramatically on low levels, I've seen even 'pure' items dont even sell for base price anymore.

So watch the economy, know prices of stuff (weapon blanks, slot-items, augments, ingredients, collectibles, named items, rare scrolls, ...) and sell for appropriate prices (=don't sell rare stuff to vendors). Consider to deconstruct trash random-gen loot, it levels up your Cannith crafting skills and you can either sell the essences or even make some rare unbound shards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    People are absolutely working on it at the moment.

Community Member

what shards are considered rare? my crafting lvls are in the 20's atm

also are all named items worth keeping, to sell? some of them just look worthless.

Keep playing, dont worry about pp, soon you will have so much pp that you will look for stuff to spend so you dont hit plat cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgizle View Post
    what shards are considered rare? my crafting lvls are in the 20's atm

also are all named items worth keeping, to sell? some of them just look worthless.
    Shards that USED TO be bestsellers in the past include universally useful effects like featherfalling, pure good, +X ability stat (very expensive to make though), seeker, bleeding, acid(burst), good luck, underwater action, med fort, power wizardy.

But since the loot overhaul last update, some of those might not be selling very well anymore. Also you have to consider the price in sahrds it costs to make these. I'd guess you need at least cannith lvl40-60+ to make some of the useful unbound shards that are worth selling. And once you reach it, you will have lots of money anyway If you don't mind the grind, you can also repeatedly run gianthold explorers & shroud quests/raid or even quests like "a small problem" or "relic of a souvereign past" to collect Fragrant Drowshood or Adamantine Ore ...

And 95% of named items from the harbor are indeed worthless. Again, check AH to compare prices.
    Last edited by Bimbelbo; 09-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    People are absolutely working on it at the moment.

I sell or decon everything that doesn't help my character, even named items - someone is bound to want it, and if you list it at a slightly lower price than others are, you've got a greater chance of selling it. (For example, I've sold Gwylan's Blade from the Gwylan's Stand adventure that way. It's a decent item and other builds at-level could benefit, but it was nearly useless for mine.) If I think it's slightly better than decent, I either auction it or pawn it; I only sell "trash" (pots I don't need, darts, tools/kits) to general vendors. The rest is deconned for base plat and essences. (You can get a *lot* of essences that way, so don't worry about selling some even though you want to craft. You'll make it all back.)

Also, what's been said about spending a little bit of money on TP is right on - I'm Premium, so I can list several auction items at once, for example. My main toon is at a little over 100k plat right now and I recently started running her in Gianthold (well worth the TP, btw), which means farming relics. Once you get the relics you need for the adventures, and the ones you want for cashing in, put the rest on AH.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (28 Tempest), Heldre (20 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (16 Ranger), Alansa (23 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (28 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (17 Druid)

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jgizle View Post
    As a free to play player I find it difficult to make $. My main source of income is terrible loot from instances that I usually sell to NPC's for money unless its a pure item such as Dexterity +4 ring or something which i would attempt to try to sell on auction. I know there are lots of items in the game and some must be worth something due to rarity or difficulty in obtaining.

One such item i heard of is Muck's Doom, superior version of Muckbane, and is obtained from the optional monster at the bottom of "The Pit". Since I tried this on my rogue (level 12) I can run it all in 1 hour using a hire for heals on normal. Tried it a few times and gave up cause it was late, but I have seen it sold from 150k - 300k or more recently. Another rare item which I can't get as a Free To Play player is called the Feather Ring and is simply a level 1 ring with feather falling on it, which is on at all times. I recently found a pair of level 1 bracers with feather falling which is also on at all times. The feather ring sells for 50k - 100k + very easily, so shouldn't my bracers which literally do the exact same thing sell for equal value, or does some how the simple fact that one is a bracer and one is a ring make it completely different (you can easily swap items so this shouldn't make it a game changer in terms of value).

This being said I am looking for alternative ways of making money, and finding rare items like these seems the best way to get me out of my poor 25k situation.

If you know any items that I could farm for $ let me know, but please don't say essences, since I do craft and actually want to keep those. (Although my crafting levels are only in the 20's)
    Muck Doom is not worth much. Everbright weapons do the same and less pain to find. Strike that, they were easy to find, not sure if the new loot updates still creates everbright weapons.

Ring of Feathers. Not anymore. I have pulled many feather fall items that are level 1. Many. Lots and lots since August 19. I just dump them on the AH. Those I actually put on for around 4000 plat buyout and they sell. Depends on what AH research shows me.

Don't put your stuff on the AH at ridiculously high prices. Just about all of the Seeker, Accuracy, Deadly items I place on the AH for under base price. Most sell. Plat is not important to me, so I start my stuff at 50% base value and go up to 80% of base value, depending on the item. I want the item out of my inventory and I want it sold for more than a broker will pay me.

If you are placing stuff on the AH, do some research and put your stuff at less than the cheapest one you find. Some of the stuff on the AH is there because it is ridiculously high priced and no one will pay for it.

(EDIT: Can't say essences.)

Collectables. Not many of them are worth it, but hit up all collectable locations anyway. I do. But I am a hoarder.

Soon, you will begin to hit the events. Mabar, Festivult, International Talk Like a Pirate Day(probably won't happen again), and Risia. You used to be able to sell a lot of these items and make plat. But it seems Turbine only believes all items should be bound to character. That way I guess they think we will hit the DDO Store more often.(I am just hypothesizing on their thought process). Me, I don't buy anything from the DDO Store except for storage items, huge bags, huge quivers, bank space, inventory space, and adventure packs.

if you find master crafted loot, such as +4 Con Belt, master crafted so it is level 5, that you can place on the AH for around 20K plat buyout.

Again, I don't play the game so I can constantly put loot on the AH, have it not sell, I go to the mailbox, I get item and then I rinse and repeat. Inventory space is a premium to me.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

You'll need to buy a few packs to make plat. Running raids usually where I find I generate the most plat. When farming Green Steel ingredients and fropping the Shroud before the activate the final altar, for example. Or while farming the Orchard for tapestries.

Also, you need to have the proper gear to make the most of the stuff you vendor trash. The highest haggle and charisma items your character can carry, and pop a heroism pot (clickie is more cost effective) if you can't get someone to cast GH on you. I just ran a Shroud and had my sale value increase 3k this way. It all adds up.

But let me just say, if someone puts up an item like Muck Doom on the AH, and they actually intend to sell it for that kinda plat, it's kinda ******y. Some items like an epic black dragon helm, or a heart of wood are understandable, but Muck's Doom is good for only one thing (well, two if you can get close enough in the subterrane).

Just play the game and level, the plat does come. And join a good guild that helps its members out in getting the items they need.

greater essences, shroud materials, MNE pots (sp) vale materials, dragonscales, epic hard/ epic elite items, and some epic scrolls.

These are the items that net cash. Some other things to if the stars align on a weapon or something but mostly those. The real cash comes at lv 18 when you can start farming vale stuff and shroud and selling it off. regular dragonscales used to net a bit from tor when you turned 14ish, but those have dropped quite a bit now.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Level characters on different servers, making turbine points and invest them in adventure packs. This is a little tedious, but on long-term the best way to make plat. If you are spending lots of time in ddo, think about investing some money in it. The point bundle at the moment is a good deal. Buying the packs when the are at sale should give you tons of content to farm plat.

Community Member

kobolds make excellent slaves and will net you a tidy profit. after you barbecue(they taste like chicken) a few of the troublemakers the rest should fall in line quickly

they breed rapidly and thrive on garbage so thats a win win

all other methods of aquiring pp were covered so well that i thougt ide just throw this out there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast