Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member Deamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    522

    Default Cleric Warpriest vs FVS Warpriest? What is the point ???

    What is the point of choosing to make cleric warpriest over cleric fvs? FVS war priests have more sp, more saves, more dmg with their deity weapon , wings.And clerics has what ?
    The turn undead which are useless and the healing aura which is tied on tier 5 enhancement of radiant servant.

    I don't see any meaningful advantage to go cleric war priest. Except and if only if the healing aura goes to tier 4 or 3 like it was supposed to be or be level 12 core enhancement .
    Healing aura was introduced as lvl 6 ability the moved correctly to level 12. But for tier 5 enchantment is overkill.
    Healing aura is the trademark of all cleric builds. One can say that is prerequisite. Except few exceptions of course.
    Healing aura=Cleric class so make it more easy to get.

    So developers please consider to fix that so you improve the variations of builds.

    Any thoughts of the community ?

    By the way.... domains ? Planed or scraped ?
    Last edited by Deamus; 09-14-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Typos
    One Monk To Gimp Them All
    Europe Devourer Beta Player
    Arise Founder
    Daemus, Daemons, Daemonicus Thelanis Server

  2. #2
    Community Member Charononus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5,345

    Default

    I'd say the reason for a cleric warpriest is that you have a bunch of melee gear and want to run up a cleric past life.

    The other reason i can think of is heavy armor prof, with the divine power enhancement that might be worthwhile for prr but not sure how much the difference would equate out to with out jumping on lam.

  3. #3
    Community Member Lauf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deamus View Post

    Any thoughts of the community ?
    some clerics have little use for an aura, as they heal/cast from a distance, but building a warpriest without one seems a crying shame.

    after playing around with the warpriest tree to get a feel for it I ended up coming to the conclusion that the best warpriest was actually a tier 4 warpriest tier 5 radiant, for the healing aura + regenerating turns.
    for me the aura is much more valuable than my occasional divine power casts.

    and so with that in mind, I'd say you're spot on;
    looks like cleric warpriests will have a healing aura, and fvs warpriests will have a tier 5.

  4. #4
    Community Member Bilger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    Just a quick off the top of head as for reasons why.

    1. Better healing - may have less sp but aura/bursts make up for that and boost to healing power from radiant mixed in with war priest is a great mesh.
    2. Get spells sooner allows for deeper splashes if want to have a certain lvl spell
    3. Spell books selection can switch out spells at shrines and on the fly.
    4. Flavor some people just like clerics better than FVS.

    Now not the greatest reasons, but are reasons why someone may choose cleric over FVS. Not a min/maxer view or elitist view, but reasons none the less why some will take cleric.

    I have both battle types and will be using war priest on both. Where my cleric won't be going tier 5 on war priest because want aura and IMO is not worth the loss of it for the tier 5 war priest abilities. My FVS is going all the way to tier 5 where it fits him better.

    It's all about the builds and what you want.
    Last edited by Bilger; 09-14-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Proud Officer of The Madborn

  5. #5

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilger View Post
    Just a quick off the top of head as for reasons why.

    1. Better healing - may have less sp but aura/bursts make up for that and boost to healing power from radiant mixed in with war priest is a great mesh.
    2. Get spells sooner allows for deeper splashes if want to have a certain lvl spell
    3. Spell books selection can switch out spells at shrines and on the fly.
    4. Flavor some people just like clerics better than FVS.

    Now not the greatest reasons, but are reasons why someone may choose cleric over FVS. Not a min/maxer view or elitist view, but reasons none the less why some will take cleric.

    I have both battle types and will be using war priest on both. Where my cleric won't be going tier 5 on war priest because want aura and IMO is not worth the loss of it for the tier 5 war priest abilities. My FVS is going all the way to tier 5 where it fits him better.

    It's all about the builds and what you want.

    I couldn't have said it better. I don't like FVS's until mid to high level. Best saved for a third or fourth life build.

  6. #6
    Community Member Deamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilger View Post
    Just a quick off the top of head as for reasons why.

    I have both battle types and will be using war priest on both. Where my cleric won't be going tier 5 on war priest because want aura and IMO is not worth the loss of it for the tier 5 war priest abilities. My FVS is going all the way to tier 5 where it fits him better.
    Thanks that's exactly my point . You will have to not take the tier 5 warpriest abilities on your cleric so as to take the healing aura . Healing aura is supposed to be level 12 core enchantment as it is the lazer canon on favor soul. They should really change that mistake which they did imo cause they didn't design more tier 5 radiant servant abilities.
    They actually proxy gimped war priests clerics with less dps cause of the loss of tier 5.

    It was bad design from the start and now it shows even more.
    One Monk To Gimp Them All
    Europe Devourer Beta Player
    Arise Founder
    Daemus, Daemons, Daemonicus Thelanis Server

  7. #7
    Founder
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Are people that play epic elite finding the healing aura useful with the big hp swings?
    Are the bursts strong enough on epic elite or do you have to resort to cure crit/heal?
    I haven't done a lot of epic elite and was originally going to switch my fvs to a cleric but I've held off since I enjoy the cleric enhancements more.
    But of course everything is overkill for epic hard....

  8. #8
    Community Member HatsuharuZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    Personally, I'm not happy that both FvS and Clerics get Warpriest. The fact that they are using the same tree for two different classes tells me that Turbine isn't able or willing to put enough into this, and has much higher priorities.

  9. #9
    Community Member Bilger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deamus View Post
    Thanks that's exactly my point . You will have to not take the tier 5 warpriest abilities on your cleric so as to take the healing aura . Healing aura is supposed to be level 12 core enchantment as it is the lazer canon on favor soul. They should really change that mistake which they did imo cause they didn't design more tier 5 radiant servant abilities.
    They actually proxy gimped war priests clerics with less dps cause of the loss of tier 5.

    It was bad design from the start and now it shows even more.
    I understand what you are saying it should of been tier 3 or 4.

    On lam they tried to get that changed, but devs wanted nothing to do with those complaints. It still is a good line for clerics and better than the junk protection line we have. It still boosts my BC and isn't going to detour me from playing it.

    Only thing is will have to keep casting divine power instead of it being passive, and wasn't overly impressed with other tier 5's but didn't play to much with it yet on lam. So not hurting me much, but do agree it should of been lower tier.(aura that is)

    As to it being your point you asked what reasons people had and I gave some. If your point is solely the aura's then that should of been your title. You asked why and I gave reasons as to why people will play clerics. If wanted a aura discussion should of made it aura one or worded title and beginning different if don't want answers that I gave.
    Proud Officer of The Madborn

  10. #10
    Community Member Deamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddong View Post
    Are people that play epic elite finding the healing aura useful with the big hp swings?
    Are the bursts strong enough on epic elite or do you have to resort to cure crit/heal?
    I haven't done a lot of epic elite and was originally going to switch my fvs to a cleric but I've held off since I enjoy the cleric enhancements more.
    But of course everything is overkill for epic hard....

    Yes healing aura is useful on epic elite especially if you are meleeing but that doesn't mean that healing aura should be tier 5. Also have in mind the party you are playing with , it all depends whats defenses the party has.
    The bursts are strong enough on epic elite and usually there is no need for cure/heal.
    Last edited by Deamus; 09-15-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    One Monk To Gimp Them All
    Europe Devourer Beta Player
    Arise Founder
    Daemus, Daemons, Daemonicus Thelanis Server

  11. #11
    Community Member eachna_gislin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddong View Post
    Are people that play epic elite finding the healing aura useful with the big hp swings?
    Are the bursts strong enough on epic elite or do you have to resort to cure crit/heal?
    I haven't done a lot of epic elite and was originally going to switch my fvs to a cleric but I've held off since I enjoy the cleric enhancements more.
    But of course everything is overkill for epic hard....
    Healing Aura is very useful but not necessary in EE content. Burst is good enough even in EE content (assuming you have decent positive spell power).

    I've only played the new content a little bit, but my impression was aura was close to useless for group heals (just fine for self heals of course) because the Shadar Kai chain weapons discouraged people from grouping up while taking damage. Burst is still useful in those quests if you want to "group up and heal up" between combats. For Epic Elite Gianthold and earlier burst and aura are both more accessible in their expected situations because the NPCs are less destructive to clusters of toons.

    Neither is 'enough' by itself to cover 100% of Elite healing (it sounds almost as if you're asking this). The aura is useful to help keep melee people up while taking damage around a big boss, or to allow the ranged to group up in one spot for heals over time. The aura is still mostly only useful for "oh sh*t" healing/topping off between fights/no-sp-cost restoration-type effects. But with either or both you'll still need spot heals and possibly mass healing depending on the situation.

    I'm able to play EE clerics without the aura, but I haven't yet given up the burst. TBH, I don't think any of my clerics have enough gas in their tanks to get through EE content without it. If you haven't played clerics before (or at least haven't played them for a while) I'd suggest carrying a large collection of Heal scrolls until you get used to the differences between a cleric using burst (or aura+burst) and favored souls. There have been a number of changes that have widened the gulf between a healer's healing and the hit point losses they're expected to fill, and Heal scrolls can make a noticeable difference even in EE content.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload