Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Default Hires and Pets Ignoring Defend Command

Like the title says, this seems to be happening. They should follow after the target, if they're close enough., but they're not.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    Like the title says, this seems to be happening. They should follow after the target, if they're close enough., but they're not.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Welcome to the joy of hirelings and pets. Been a thorn in our sides for ages now and probably one of the only things in this game I've ever complained about.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    Welcome to the joy of hirelings and pets. Been a thorn in our sides for ages now and probably one of the only things in this game I've ever complained about.
    I've used them for a while now. Thanks.

The point is that the Defend command was working, but now it seems not to be. This may be a return of an old bug, I don't know. From the user POV, that's not important.

I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm not the only person seeing this behaviour (or lack thereof) at this time.

Community Member

The point is that the Defend command was working, but now it seems not to be. This may be a return of an old bug, I don't know. From the user POV, that's not important.

I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm not the only person seeing this behaviour (or lack thereof) at this time.
    Confirmed. I've seen a number of changes in the last couple of updates, all for the worse. Half my hires won't stand still anymore - icon stays fixed, but they'll happily just run around like usual. Some won't fight back when getting hit... they'll just stand there and die without even healing themselves. Pretty brutal.

Never seen it not act this way, pets and hires have a horrible ai, don't follow behavior that you tell them to and generally have an ai worse than a six int barbarian tweaking on meth. It's why I hate using them and almost never pull them out for anything other than hitting switches anymore.

I haven't noticed that it's any worse than it used to be.

Rogue hires still run through a trap to disarm it, unless the trap box is on the other side of the trap, then they act like they can't do that.

All hires still get stuck at doors, even if they're open.

Speaking of trap boxes, what's up with X isn't facing the trap box, and then when they finally do disarm it, after x number of tries, they wind up facing away from the box?

Don't get me started on "We can't walk through tunnels" syndrome, which has been around for as long as I can remember. Overall, it's nothing new. They will still stand there admiring their navels while a horde of mobs chases you around, or beats on you, depending, and cleric/FvS hires with heals on their hotbars will still demand that you heal them. I use them, but I maintain a low expectation of effectiveness, and so I'm hardly every disappointed.

They ARE worse than they used to be:

- stop on some doorways
    - don't heal themselves (in case of healers)
    - don't heal you
    - do not pull lever that are right in front of them
    - don't cast spells unless you swap instructions
    - stop in the middle of a corridor
    - walk in front of you when you are disabling traps
    - do not forget aggro that is 39 rooms away, and you have to go back and kill it
    - poorly buffed, not even resists
    - walk on top of lava like it's a hot bath
    - slow attack speed, although their damage seems ok

Carry on.
    ~ Gaeryus (Sor14/FvS4/Pal2) Firebrand ~ ~ Phlegma (12Fgt/6Rog/2Pal)(L13)(eTR2) van Moyst ~
    ~ Hakashe (Pal14/Monk6)(L3)Nurigatu ~ ~ Koergan (Cle17/Brb2/Fgt1)Flamebeard ~
    Ex-Captain of the Flying Funk ~ ~ Ascent ~ ~ Epic Farming Videos ~ ~ New and Exciting Bugs

I've never not seen them act that way. So you're welcome.

Main: 18 Artificer, Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Never seen it not act this way, pets and hires have a horrible ai, don't follow behavior that you tell them to and generally have an ai worse than a six int barbarian tweaking on meth. It's why I hate using them and almost never pull them out for anything other than hitting switches anymore.
    Sorry, but when I read/hear a statement like this I can only interpret it as: you can';t possibly have used them very much.

I've TRed Druids and Artificers (into their same classes), and almost never dismiss my dogs, while running around with hires and they usually work pretty well. If not pretty well, at least predictably.

Right now, I'm seeing hires and pets
    • ignore the defend command,
    • being too aggressive, even in defensive mode, to take orders to heal or rez people in my party
    • haring off to fight while told to hold position and not returning to their tethered locations, even after all threats cleared

Quote Originally Posted by enochiancub View Post
    I've never not seen them act that way. So you're welcome.
    You are in no way contributing productively to this thread. Try logging on to the game server and being a bother there for a while. Thanx, g'bye.

Sorry, but when I read/hear a statement like this I can only interpret it as: you can';t possibly have used them very much.

I've TRed Druids and Artificers (into their same classes), and almost never dismiss my dogs, while running around with hires and they usually work pretty well. If not pretty well, at least predictably.

Right now, I'm seeing hires and pets
    • ignore the defend command,
    • being too aggressive, even in defensive mode, to take orders to heal or rez people in my party
    • haring off to fight while told to hold position and not returning to their tethered locations, even after all threats cleared
    Hirelings have done all of these behaviors since 2010 or whenever it was I started playing, I have never ever had them not act the way you just described and since pets are essentially hires...... to top that off pets do a float mechanic where they bug out and go unresponsive and have to be dismissed and resummoned to fix them.