Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleric vs Fvs

Here's my take, fvs's are better heroic questers, they can handle any party healing and deal damage to the mobs better.

However

Radiant Servants are better healers. Back pre-motu I had a fvs that I tr'ed to a cleric as I primarily pulled him out to heal raids. For raid healing I loved having a cleric more than a fvs, the glows for light damage, bursts for a free mass, and still having mass heal let me be more effiecient imo.

Now since raiding is pretty much dead I think I'd go fvs unless I wanted a past life.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHost View Post
    Light Bolt, and the other added spells, from the Divine Disciple tree are an absolute game changer, which Favored Soul has nothing anywhere near equivalent to.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Haven't TRed back to Cleric yet (except on Lama), but though DD looks nice overall, other folks whose opinions I respect (hi Ellis!) have said they're not really that great. A help as you level in Heroic, sure, but that's not hard anyway.
    To clarify, it's the SLAs (nimbus & searing) that I said are great for leveling but get pretty meh at epic levels. If you need to power through on echoes, sure, the SLAs absolutely can't be beat.

But the spells are the game changer. Getting necrotic ray, sunbolt and sunbeam is crazy powerful for single target damage. And few bosses are resistant to either negative energy or light damage. (Except those dang priestesses with their stupid deathward. Gah!)

After using the SLAs for a while I tried out the spells, and wow, they're awesome. So good that I dumped the SLAs entirely. I'll use the SLAs to get from 1 to 20 on future lives because they're so cheap, but drop them for the spells as soon as I hit 20 and get a real mana pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    But the truth is I'm about to TR said FS into a cleric for a few reasons. DC casting is important with the right items, you can get over 70 and won't need to invest in charisma or worry about slotting in a +cha item. The SLA's are damn good - max/empowered nimbus/searing do very good damage at minimal sp expense. Yes FS can get searing light SLA but that means being pure and being pure is bleh while the cleric can go 2 monk and stay in Grandmaster of Oceans stance for 4wis, 5 saves, 4% dodge (easily getting 25% total). Sun Bolt is amazing, it's basically a double powered lightning bolt that does light damage instead. Sun Beam is basically a light damage version of Polar Ray - sure it has a reflex save but that's why you wanna go Wisdom based anyways, for dc's. Speaking of being wisdom based it's incredibly easy for any player to hit 50 wisdom and get 50+ dc's and it really cuts down on the difference in spell points vs FS.
    Splashing monk for +2 wisdom (+4 stance compared to +2 from capstone) on a cleric is highly effective, no question. I prefer staying pure to get both necrotic ray and sunbeam/bolt at the same time, but I wouldn't question choosing the monk splash.

Just wanted to clarify that a monk splash isn't required to get 70+ evo dc. But of course, whatever the pure cleric lands on (71? 72 maybe?) the monk splash ends up 1 higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla93 View Post
    Anyway in my opinion right now :
    Cleric - wisdom based DC king with good slas
    Fvs - splashed with paladin survivability king with dmg and better crit profile.
    This is fair, though I'd highlight the spells instead of the slas. Just necrotic ray alone would be good enough, but then to get the light spells too? Yummy.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Just wanted to clarify that a monk splash isn't required to get 70+ evo dc. But of course, whatever the pure cleric lands on (71? 72 maybe?) the monk splash ends up 1 higher.
    The dc's should be equal I think. The +2 capstone and alchemical shield wash with ocean stance.

By the way my current divine builds were inspired by your theoretical cleric dc post https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-dc-evo-cleric and the toon that I used the +20 heart on to get there was originally this https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...allenge-Farmer.

So a definite 'Thank You!' is in order. Helpful posts such as yours helped me to become a pretty good player after having just started in January of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post
    The dc's should be equal I think. The +2 capstone and alchemical shield wash with ocean stance.
    Well, a clonk could make alchemical wraps with +2 wisdom, +10 stunning and a few damage effects, which is a viable weapon to equip for a dc clonk build. Or maybe a kama, leaving the other hand free for some other caster stick. Certainly not easy to find groups for LOB & MA, though, so it may not be feasible to actually make them.

So a definite 'Thank You!' is in order. Helpful posts such as yours helped me to become a pretty good player after having just started in January of this year.
    I appreciate the kind words, and glad to hear you're having fun.

Both are fine, both can hjeal meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    Both are fine, both can hjeal meh.
    Only okay *teh trolling*... where's the trollish cogent argument such as:

FVS because they have "favored" in the name. Almost sounds like Flavored. Cherry Soul! Raspberry Soul! Taste the healing rainbow.
    Clerks are only good as bank toons because of those monocles on a chain and green brimmed hats they wear to help them count monies. I haven't looked but I heard all their enhancements are for hat brim upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla93 View Post
    BUT in my opinion now fvs is supposed tro be build like 18fvs/2paladin with around 100PPR in heavy armor, 65+ all saves, fire burst, divine wraith and avenging light and DP (and archon ofc) as main DPS - sometimes using BB. Charisma build ofc dump wisdom etc.
    You have any links to potential build ideas along these lines?

I am about to enter my final life and still on the fence as to whether I want to be a cleric or fvs. What you ahve outlined here sounds pretty good.
    Panzermeyer - Huge Terry Brooks Shannara Fan

Main
    Jelara Shannara - PDK
    Steel Shrine (TR XX - Barb x3, Drd x3, FvS x3, Pal x2, Rgr x1, Rog x2, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR X - Arc x3, Div x2, Mart x3, Prim x3 - ItR II - PDK x2)
    Alts
    DamsonRhee Shannara - PDK Swashbuckler
    Challenge Farmer
    Eritria Shannara - Human Swashbuckler
    (TR VII - Ftr x3, Sorc x1, Wiz x3 EtR - Prim x1)
    Kirisin Shannara - Sun Elf Shadovar Infiltrator (TR XIV - Barb x1, Bard x1, Clc x3, Fvs x3, Sorc x3, Wiz x3 - EtR V - Mart x2, Div x3 - ItR - MLE x1)

well.. as a caster cleric might be a little better.. if you don't melee at all.. since they use wisdom for spell mod.. while fvs use both wis and cha.

Community Member

Lets think carefully here.. I might need players help. Fvs get 2 lower DCs (necro/evo) and 1 lower DC on anyother spell schools compared to clerics. But, fvs can aquire aura of menace, which means, 2 extra effective DC within 15 meters.. Now, I don't know if aura works on EEs, but fvs should be per with clerics at this point, now.. They have vengeful magic (another +1 DC).. Wouldn't that make fvs better DC casters?

Also, they get to cast all major divine offensive spells at higher caster level. Powerful blade barrier and archon is not only unique in exalted angel, but it also helps with scourge.
    Last edited by Angelic-council; 03-02-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Default Cleric Vs. Favored Soul

Let us see what Cleric and Favored Soul class trees brings to the table in today's game

Cleric Class Trees

Divine Disciple
    This tree is the offensive DC/nuking cleric that takes more of an active role in groups instead of a hjealbot, which also allows for Clerics to solo some quests without waiting forever to people to join them. This tree also defines your Cleric has either the "Light Hero" or "Dark Hero" playstyles depending on your choice on the path of Light or Darkness, similar to how Monk paths work.

Warpriest
    This tree is the melee cleric that hits harder with their deities favored weapons then other clerics who simply use them as sources of power. It also hardens the melee cleric from physical as well as magical damage with also a niche of healing support. Complete with some AOE abilities such as Divine Vessel and Implaceable Foe. This tree is also shared by Favored Souls, so its kind of the same deal almost.

Radiant Servant
    This tree is the "Elixir of Life" cleric that almost prevents themselves or their groups from dieing while also purging debuffs of any kind. While being able to turn away or out-right destroy most undead with ease. Even if said cleric was slain, they have the option of releasing a massive "Divine Cleansing" that heals groups and deal heavy damage to any undead type creature, possibly Dracolichs as well.

Favored Soul Class Tree

Angel of Vengeance
    Similar to Divine Disciple, this tree is the offensive DC/nuking favored soul that increases the caster level and max level of more spell types such as Fire, Force, Light, or Physical spells while also increasing the related spellpower as well. AoV is also complete with an aura that debuffs enemy saves, attack bonus, armor class, and spell resistance while also summoning an Archon that shoots light beams at enemies.

It appears that Clerics are getting more than their "favored" buddies just by the number of class trees they have...
    Last edited by bennyson; 03-03-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bennyson View Post
    Let us see what Cleric and Favored Soul class trees brings to the table in today's game

Cleric Class Trees

Divine Disciple
    This tree is the offensive DC/nuking cleric that takes more of an active role in groups instead of a hjealbot, which also allows for Clerics to solo some quests without waiting forever to people to join them. This tree also defines your Cleric has either the "Light Hero" or "Dark Hero" playstyles depending on your choice on the path of Light or Darkness, similar to how Monk paths work.

Warpriest
    This tree is the melee cleric that hits harder with their deities favored weapons then other clerics who simply use them as sources of power. It also hardens the melee cleric from physical as well as magical damage with also a niche of healing support. Complete with some AOE abilities such as Divine Vessel and Implaceable Foe. This tree is also shared by Favored Souls, so its kind of the same deal almost.

Radiant Servant
    This tree is the "Elixir of Life" cleric that almost prevents themselves or their groups from dieing while also purging debuffs of any kind. While being able to turn away or out-right destroy most undead with ease. Even if said cleric was slain, they have the option of releasing a massive "Divine Cleansing" that heals groups and deal heavy damage to any undead type creature, possibly Dracolichs as well.

Favored Soul Class Tree

Angel of Vengeance
    Similar to Divine Disciple, this tree is the offensive DC/nuking favored soul that increases the caster level and max level of more spell types such as Fire, Force, Light, or Physical spells while also increasing the related spellpower as well. AoV is also complete with an aura that debuffs enemy saves, attack bonus, armor class, and spell resistance while also summoning an Archon that shoots light beams at enemies.

It appears that Clerics are getting more than their "favored" buddies just by the number of class trees they have...
    FvS also get warpriest. But it's fine that FvS have less trees. Clerics need better trees to compete with FvS, since favored souls are innately better due to being a semi-P2W class.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    FvS also get warpriest. But it's fine that FvS have less trees. Clerics need better trees to compete with FvS, since favored souls are innately better due to being a semi-P2W class.
    Your forgetting the Beacon of Hope path for Favored Souls, so they don't have a "healer's" tree which makes FvS worest healers than Clerics due to many things Radiant Servant Clerics have and are generally better healers than any other class if built right.

Just because they are a P2P class does not mean their better, Clerics have more SLAs than AoV FvSs due to their Divine Disciple tree

Divine Disciple:
    4 Light path SLAs
    4 Dark path SLAs
    total SLAs: 8 (these spells can be acquired at level 12 with at least 5 levels of Cleric for tier 5 abilities)

Angel of Vengeance:
    1 SLA depending on deity (there are 6 deities up for worship in DDO)
    total SLAs: 6 (2 out of 6 SLAS are useless and can only be acquired at level 20 heroic cap while being a pure FvS)

In any case, Favored Souls are missing a lot while Clerics are gaining, the only thing FvSs have going for them is more SP and increase caster levels of most spells and a dangerous aura along with a light beam shooting summon that uses half of the FvS's spellpower.
    Last edited by bennyson; 03-05-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Community Member

If you wer tr'ing into a morninlord to either one, all things being equal, which one would it be FS or cleric? Is one more suited for ML than the other? On the surface, it looks like a cleric would be best but would a FS be just as good a chaice? I want to try ML but I am hesitant about being a FS ML for some reason.
    Characters:
    5th Life Human Paladin - Sorrowanddoo
    11th Life Sun Elf Wizard - Sorrowandei
    3rd Life Human Fighter - Sorrowandai

Community Member

Both are great at everything below endgame or the odd difficult EE. If you see my thread on the main board, you see a lot of clerics saying endgame healing is easy but little comment from any other FVS

I prefer the aggressive style of FVS but if you want an easier endgame, I would go CLR.

BTW archon is amazeballs, especially now with the HH ring that does extra damage

Evoc vs necro is also a choice you should think about

I previously had my FVS as a necro but thats pretty useless now at end game. If you plan to work through past lives etc, necro is still a nice choice if it fits your play style. Right now I am waiting to see how the new ED comes out but I may well tr him into a pure light damage evoc CLR. I think the devs have misjudged just how much damage a fully specced evo divine will be able to do and I am looking forward to it!

This really is one of those choices where there is not much between them and picking what fits your play style is the best way to go

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
    If you wer tr'ing into a morninlord to either one, all things being equal, which one would it be FS or cleric? Is one more suited for ML than the other? On the surface, it looks like a cleric would be best but would a FS be just as good a chaice? I want to try ML but I am hesitant about being a FS ML for some reason.
    I am enjoying ML fey energy tap for extra SP on my wiz.

Please continue saying clerics are better than FvS.
    Then they'll buff my FvS even more!
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Founder

I think it depends on how quickly you are going to go through Heroic levels. I created a FvS after getting my Cleric to 20 and I really miss the large spell pool. FvS get such few spells and it seemed to take forever before I got anything good since I'm a slow leveler (don't play any 1 character a lot).

FvS might be more powerful in Epic, hard to say. Since you can take EDs on any class character, and you can pretty simply respec a character, I'm not sure it really matters that much.

Community Member

Default My take

Well I read through this thread and wonder how many of the posters have actually played a cleric and an FVS recently. I am working slowly through the divine eTR's right now and decided to do it on a cleric. Pure cleric, sun elf. I like it a lot more than my FVS (which is not my main but is fully capped ED and fully geared). And here is why:

1. Cleric rad servant. It is really nice to have that thing ticking heals away without having to think about it or spend blue bar on heals.
    2. Turning. The sun elf makes turning a joy. Can even turn all the trash in Thunderholm and the new raids on EN/EH.
    3. The sun elf cleric enhancement + to spell pen means if you build right (max wis, 15 con, rest into CHA and last point into INT, with epic spell pen), and gear (+4-5 tomes, twilight or other) you can bypass all the EN/EH spell pen and some EE. If you have the full past lives wiz/fvs you are good on most EE as well. The high DC means you have crowd control that even works on EE (order's wrath, holy smite), and SUNBOLT with nimbus end up doing nice damage if you are geared right (lantern ring, or sage goggles).
    4. Blade barriers, implosion, big toolbox of buffs and heals (and harm).

EN/EH runs on this are super easy. EE solo I find the biggest difficulty is bosses, because you really only have light damage for them and you run out of SP too fast. EE in groups is fine, its no shiradi spammer but can contribute in kills as well as heals and buffs.

Now after playing that for 3 eTR lives so far I really like it a LOT better than pure FVS. Yes, I have a little lower saves, but that constant healing aura is well worth the lower saves. Ask me what a PURE FVS gets that a PURE cleric does not.....you get a shoulder cannon, debuff aura and a lot more SP and better saves. But I prefer the turns, healing aura, and the sun elf bonuses on a pure cleric to those.

Now for any splash builds that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by mmofan View Post
    so i am a cleric i like the class i like radiant servent, i was thinking a bout TRing a FvS maybe do a FvS18/mnk2. other then the obvious differences nearly double the SP, Leap of Faith and hiving a limited # of spells why might i want to go FvS over cleric or what are the benifits with FvS that Cleric does not get. i was also wondering how effective is the Summon Archon spell.
    RTFM on Khyber, Toy Soldiers.

Toy Soldiers PD Roll Builds Guild on Wayfinder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12