Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleric vs Fvs

Community Member

Default Cleric vs Fvs

so i am a cleric i like the class i like radiant servent, i was thinking a bout TRing a FvS maybe do a FvS18/mnk2. other then the obvious differences nearly double the SP, Leap of Faith and hiving a limited # of spells why might i want to go FvS over cleric or what are the benifits with FvS that Cleric does not get. i was also wondering how effective is the Summon Archon spell.

Community Member

i posted this tread in Cleric Thread to get there perspectives also

FvS is superior in every way. Better PrE, better innate stats and abilities. Angel of vengeance is much better than divine disciple. Radiant servant is alright for a healbot I guess. Perhaps when warpriests comes out, things will change a bit.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    FvS is superior in every way. Better PrE, better innate stats and abilities. Angel of vengeance is much better than divine disciple. Radiant servant is alright for a healbot I guess. Perhaps when warpriests comes out, things will change a bit.
    what PrE and War priest is that cleric or FvS. also pleas be specific all you told me is that fvs is better because of X Y and Z but you need to explain what makes them better than cleric.

Perhaps when warpriests comes out, things will change a bit.
    Doubtful since both classes are getting WP, though a battle cleric, as it stands now, is slightly more compatible with WP because of the +2 wisdom.

Community Member

also if i TR on the character i unlocked FvS do i lose the ability to play FvS

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Favored Souls have a much better Saves Progression, Stacking 10 Resist to up to 3 Elements that you choose, and if pure Capstone of 10 DR and a SLA depending on race/choice, larger Spell Pool, Wings. The summoned archon is ok. It is very nice as a cheap means to fuel up charges for Exalted Angel ED (Divine Wrath) and is kind of useful in lighting up some dungeons (Rainbow in the Dark, I'm looking at you).

Cleric benefits are they are a FTP Class, Swappable at shrine/tavern spells (little flexability), gain spells one level sooner then FvS and a good PRE for healbots. There is the Turn Undead but if you don't really build for it, its usefullness doesn't last long.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by mmofan View Post
    so i am a cleric i like the class i like radiant servent, i was thinking a bout TRing a FvS maybe do a FvS18/mnk2. other then the obvious differences nearly double the SP, Leap of Faith and hiving a limited # of spells why might i want to go FvS over cleric or what are the benifits with FvS that Cleric does not get. i was also wondering how effective is the Summon Archon spell.
    Both classes are effective, and they mostly play the same way. It's largely a matter of personal style.

You've already listed the main benefits of FvS: some more SP, and their Archon. The Archon is quite effective, and more SP never hurts.

Leap of Faith is available to both through Epic Destinies, so isn't a big deal, unless you absolutely HAVE to have it at 17 instead of 20+.

Clerics have better enhancements available.

Clerics can make MUCH better use of their spell list, because FvS are crippled by a tiny, tiny number of spell slots, and that situation even worse if you splash. Though some people do prefer only having to use a very small number of spells.

Clerics do suffer from greater hate and prejudice from ignorant players, though. Though if that's a major concern for you, Druid would be a better choice than either of Cleric or FvS. :-)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Both classes are effective, and they mostly play the same way. It's largely a matter of personal style.
    Not really, if you want to be anything more than a healbot or a slay living and destruction spammer in the easier content where that works. Light Bolt, and the other added spells, from the Divine Disciple tree are an absolute game changer, which Favored Soul has nothing anywhere near equivalent to.

The AoV PrE tree offers some nice temp Spell Point options, to be sure. Coupled with the increased spell pool you can keep going for quite a bit longer. But it also suffers from the fact that it was an old PrE before it became a tree, and it ends up with terribly under powered capstone abilities (which were neat before the game had real SLAs) and a flashlight that plinks things for an entirely negligible amount of damage due to receiving reduced Spell Power bonus (because it was deemed overpowered before everyone got insane abilities).

Quote Originally Posted by RedHost View Post
    . Light Bolt, and the other added spells, from the Divine Disciple tree are an absolute game changer, which Favored Soul has nothing anywhere near equivalent to.
    Those slas are awful, not even close to Avenging light. Only good thing there is Sunburst, heightened only, EVOCATION blind.

/Team Cleric
    /Team Fvs
    /roll d2, there's not definitive answer which is "better ". Is wizard better than sorc ?
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

2014 DDO Players Council

Light Bolt, and the other added spells, from the Divine Disciple tree are an absolute game changer, which Favored Soul has nothing anywhere near equivalent to.
    Haven't TRed back to Cleric yet (except on Lama), but though DD looks nice overall, other folks whose opinions I respect (hi Ellis!) have said they're not really that great. A help as you level in Heroic, sure, but that's not hard anyway.

...a flashlight that plinks things for an entirely negligible amount of damage...
    Who cares about how little damage it does? Each little plink is a charge for Divine Wrath or Rebuke Foe.

Not really, if you want to be anything more than a healbot or a slay living and destruction spammer in the easier content where that works.
    I'm not sure what that's supposed to even mean. You mind expanding on whatever point that is?
    Last edited by SirValentine; 09-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.

The better one is the one you have more fun playing.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

also if i TR on the character i unlocked FvS do i lose the ability to play FvS
    Once you unlock an account option via Favor, it should stay permanently unlocked, even if you TR or delete the character which did the unlock, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post

You've already listed the main benefits of FvS: some more SP, and their Archon. The Archon is quite effective, and more SP never hurts.

Leap of Faith is available to both through Epic Destinies, so isn't a big deal, unless you absolutely HAVE to have it at 17 instead of 20+.
    Um, not really. You have to be in an absolute **** destiny to have access to wings on a cleric. So no, it's not REALLY available to both classes.

Clerics have better enhancements available.
    lol no. AoV is far superior in every way. Don't get me wrong, divine disciple IS better than what clerics had before, but AoV got a huge boost as well and so it's still way ahead.

Have you not been paying attention to the caster forums?

Clerics can make MUCH better use of their spell list, because FvS are crippled by a tiny, tiny number of spell slots, and that situation even worse if you splash. Though some people do prefer only having to use a very small number of spells.
    Not an advantage. Most divine spells are worthless.

Druid would be a better choice than either of Cleric :-)
    Agreed. Druid is superior to cleric.

2014 DDO Players Council

Um, not really. You have to be in an absolute **** destiny to have access to wings on a cleric. So no, it's not REALLY available to both classes.
    Depends on your build. If you're melee, ranged or just nuking, maybe. But no other destiny is ahead for a caster.

AoV is far superior in every way.
    If you like it, that's fine. I use it because it's far better than Protection or racial tree, but I'd be dropping most of it in a heartbeat if FvS had DD, too. The only think I'll miss when I TR back to Cleric will be the Archon.

Not an advantage. Most divine spells are worthless.
    There are some useless divine spells. But there are quite a few more useful ones than a FvS can slot.

I'm an FVS fanboy. Playtested the original in PNP, loved it. Keep coming back to it.

I've TR'd them all to other classes now. What they used to have that made them neat and different just about any divine can wrangle in the right ED and gear. Light amp? No problem w/ spell points? Wings?

My primary-divine-castery-type (originally FVS) is still slogging through non-divine caster lives currently. Original plan was back to FVS. Now, it just doesn't make sense. Unless/until things change she'll be a cleric.

Queue Urge Overkill .... "Girl ... you'll be a cleric ... soon"
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I played 3 lifes of fvs - was fvs for about 2 years an half.
    So before menace of underdark - fvs was superior to cleric - like a lot.
    After EDs were added fvs was still a lttle better (e.g. archon loading stacks for divine wraith is cool and you know - saves, resistances etc, better pre - but differences like sp or wings stopped to matter becaus of EDs).

Now after enhancements revamp I think theyre both good - but both need to be played in different way.
    Clerics has a lot of wisdom based sla'a, wisdom in capstone, and dc enhancements. It seems cleric is better dc caster.
    BUT in my opinion now fvs is supposed tro be build like 18fvs/2paladin with around 100PPR in heavy armor, 65+ all saves, fire burst, divine wraith and avenging light and DP (and archon ofc) as main DPS - sometimes using BB. Charisma build ofc dump wisdom etc.
    Its great build - pain in the ass to level - thats true (you can just lvl wis build and at 20 change with free lesser to charisma one).
    I honestly think that for EE this fvs will be superior to cleric - even if the cleric build around the same. Why? Fvs will have more fire % crit and spellpower, Fvs will have archon building free stacking for divine wraith.
    For EH I think cleric will kill faster.

Anyway in my opinion right now :
    Cleric - wisdom based DC king with good slas
    Fvs - splashed with paladin survivability king with dmg and better crit profile.

I like clerics for DC casting... better DC tree and enough spell slots to cover buffing, healing, dc spells.
    The AoV tree is nice for spell damage as well as tying in things like Energy Burst: Fire.
    For melee/ranged damage I'd say cleric and FVS are pretty equal on damage with some survivability going to the FVS (saves, Leap, more Sp so you're focused more on doing stuff than efficiently casting spells - though pots are cheap).

I've tried all 3 and sort of settled on weapon damage FVS. All 3 types can dispose of trash but blanket immunities of boss monsters gives the edge to the two damage dealer types. For me the game is more fun finding (grinding?) good weapons setups over the few (often best on randoms) items needed for spell damage. Really enjoying AAtier5+Manyshot on the Elven FVS18/Rang2 build I have posted. It's not the kill count leader or trash killer of a DC based caster, but the burst boss DPS is matches the highest in game (for now). Ofc the party always seems to take the most damage just as you start manyshot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I'm an FVS fanboy. Playtested the original in PNP, loved it. Keep coming back to it.

I've TR'd them all to other classes now. What they used to have that made them neat and different just about any divine can wrangle in the right ED and gear. Light amp? No problem w/ spell points? Wings?

My primary-divine-castery-type (originally FVS) is still slogging through non-divine caster lives currently. Original plan was back to FVS. Now, it just doesn't make sense. Unless/until things change she'll be a cleric.

Queue Urge Overkill .... "Girl ... you'll be a cleric ... soon"
    I'm in pretty much the same boat, I used to be "that FvS guy" in my guild. I had 2 FvS for a long time, now I have 0 and no plans to ever roll one again. It's kinda sad really.

On topic: cleric vs FvS all comes down to personal preferences. I used to argue in favor of FvS, but at this point there's very little - if anything - a FvS can do that a cleric can't do better. I'd recommend trying both classes, don't just take what you read here as gospel.

Community Member

FS has it's perks for sure. Archon is great - it deals good damage (75+ per tic every 2 seconds while you're busy doing other things) and as people said before it charges Wrath and Rebuke which are both great abilities. Saves and ele/physical dr are nice also. I'm currently playing a FS and have loved it.

But the truth is I'm about to TR said FS into a cleric for a few reasons. DC casting is important with the right items, you can get over 70 and won't need to invest in charisma or worry about slotting in a +cha item. The SLA's are damn good - max/empowered nimbus/searing do very good damage at minimal sp expense. Yes FS can get searing light SLA but that means being pure and being pure is bleh while the cleric can go 2 monk and stay in Grandmaster of Oceans stance for 4wis, 5 saves, 4% dodge (easily getting 25% total). Sun Bolt is amazing, it's basically a double powered lightning bolt that does light damage instead. Sun Beam is basically a light damage version of Polar Ray - sure it has a reflex save but that's why you wanna go Wisdom based anyways, for dc's. Speaking of being wisdom based it's incredibly easy for any player to hit 50 wisdom and get 50+ dc's and it really cuts down on the difference in spell points vs FS.

The enhancement change really made cleric the superior choice for seasoned players much like how wizard (thinking Shiradi here) tends to be better than sorc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast